PDA

View Full Version : Salvage Vehicle/ ICBC/ Alberta Registry Question

2BLUE
01-26-2013, 10:34 PM
I have a friend that wanted a vehicle in calgary, at a salvage auction.

He lives in Vancouver.

I bought this salvage vehicle at an auto auction in Calgary.

This vehicle has already been shipped to Vancouver.

To start the vehicle repair through ICBC it requires the vehicle to be registered. (To do this ICBC wants the reggy papers)

The auto auction doesn't have/ nor gives out/ etc these reggy papers. They only give out the bill of sale.

Now my friend can't start the rebuild process etc...

My question is how can I get registration for this vehicle???

Thanks for your help!

gram
01-26-2013, 11:03 PM
BLUE: Looking through past posts on Beyond it seems like you already knew this was a bad idea:

QUOTED FROM OLDER POST BY YOU:

2BLUE
What happen's if you dont have the vehile registered? Or never did and you got a standard bill of sale can you still sell at an auction?

AND YOUR ANSWER!!
auctioneer
If you don’t have a current reggie (registration) we can’t do business. It’s far too easy for the less ethical members of society to mess with a bill of sale.

Lots of guys use to buy cars across the country and bring them to Alberta but the trend has tapered off quite a bit since the man introduced out of province inspection. Generally these days you’ll see newer vehicles coming in from abroad, more and more from the US with the exchange rate the way it is........

Anyways,

Your friend can try to go to ICBC(Autoplan) and see if they will take a Bill of Sale instead of registration-just tell the it was lost in the crash but good luck dealing with ICBC-it is the MOST painful experience one can have in life.

2BLUE
01-27-2013, 12:24 AM
[i]Your friend can try to go to ICBC(Autoplan) and see if they will take a Bill of Sale instead of registration-just tell the it was lost in the crash but good luck dealing with ICBC-it is the MOST painful experience one can have in life. [/B]

ICBC is the worst! Just the bill of sale won't cut it.

gram
01-27-2013, 12:44 AM
BC is not like Alberta. ICBC wants the tax $s from every sale.They want to make sure that either PST(private sale) or HST dealership sale was paid on the car/truck/whatever. They do say that they want a registration signed (this is the common way to do it) A Bill of Sale is not really legal enough for them. I think your friend might be screwed without the registration to be honest.

From ICBC's website:

Steps for the buyer
Get the original vehicle registration, with the owner's signature on it, from the seller.
Fill out the purchaser's portion of the Transfer/Tax Form (APV9T).
To complete the transfer, take these documents to an Autoplan broker. We strongly recommend going together with the seller.

The BC government is very difficult to deal with, it's not like Alberta at all-been there.....done that.

Good luck.

euro_racer
01-27-2013, 01:15 AM
Bring the car back here, fix it for him, salvage inspection, register it, send over (or "sell") to friend in bc?

... Seems like a hassle but it'll work and depending how good of a friend he is he might pay you for your hassle lol

2BLUE
01-27-2013, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by gram
BC is not like Alberta. ICBC wants the tax $s from every sale.They want to make sure that either PST(private sale) or HST dealership sale was paid on the car/truck/whatever. They do say that they want a registration signed (this is the common way to do it) A Bill of Sale is not really legal enough for them. I think your friend might be screwed without the registration to be honest.

From ICBC's website:

Steps for the buyer
Get the original vehicle registration, with the owner's signature on it, from the seller.
Fill out the purchaser's portion of the Transfer/Tax Form (APV9T).
To complete the transfer, take these documents to an Autoplan broker. We strongly recommend going together with the seller.

The BC government is very difficult to deal with, it's not like Alberta at all-been there.....done that.

Good luck.

Its just brutal! Adesa said they could send a form over stating its a write off etc, not sure what the same of that form is though

2BLUE
01-30-2013, 02:29 AM
Just to put a close to this, just in case someone searches for this...

You need:

Auction bill of sale to yourself
Proof of loss from Auction
Bill of sale from the owner of the car to the Auction

This is the requirements from ICBC and everything went through fine today.

Had to drive to Vancouver to make sure everything was good :banghead: