PDA

View Full Version : Which tires would you buy?

01-28-2013, 09:07 AM
Thanks Guys, I have ordered the tires.

This thread can be closed.

FullFledgedYYC
01-28-2013, 11:11 AM
I would go with the RT as it will likely be a little less noisy, a little softer, and just better for deerfoot driving.

jwslam
01-28-2013, 12:12 PM
The video on this one is interesting.

http://tires.canadiantire.ca/en/tires/all-weather-tires/product/0041732P/hankook-optimo-4s/0062044/

01-28-2013, 12:34 PM
I also looked at the optimo 4s. But I figured the treadpattern and winter siping would add to road noise and less life. I only need a 3 season tire. I have dedicated winter tires.

tirebob
01-31-2013, 11:14 AM
Just be aware those are not "General" main brand tires, but instead those are private label made for CT specifically by order. Not that means they are dangerous or anything like that, but they are not the mainstream models. The tires General sells to the rest of the world that are Altimax, not Evertrak...

This is why they are cheaper than the regular General tires and why you will only find them at CT...

Sugarphreak
01-31-2013, 11:20 AM

dj_rice
01-31-2013, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
^^ Didn't you carry a brand called Achilles at one time that would be competitive with this CT brand Bob? I think I ran a set of those for a while and I was quite impressed with the value considering the performance.

I have a set of Achilles ATR Sports on my 240 and they are a awesome under-priced tire for the performance. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

tirebob
01-31-2013, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
^^ Didn't you carry a brand called Achilles at one time that would be competitive with this CT brand Bob? I think I ran a set of those for a while and I was quite impressed with the value considering the performance.

There are lots of tires that will come in less expensive than these for sure, but often one feels more comfortable seeing a major name on the sidewall, and that is what companies like CT count on when they make and market their private labels tires. It doesn't mean they are poor, dangerous tires, but they are also not their flagship tires nor are they usually manufactured to the exact same specs, so in essence the customer is still just buying entry/mid grade tires. Sort of like buying a genuine Maytag washing machine at Coast Appliances, or buying the "Licensed by Maytag" entry level washing machine at Future Shop. It is a label designed to help sell a lower level of product to people who don't want to spend the full pop on the genuine article...

I am not trying to convince people to buy off of me as much as just making sure they are educated on what they are buying. In the end it is still a tire that is round, black and rolls and passes DOT standards for safety etc, and it is the customers money and they have to be happy spending it...

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-31-2013, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by tirebob

There are lots of tires that will come in less expensive than these for sure, but often one feels more comfortable seeing a major name on the sidewall, and that is what companies like CT count on when they make and market their private labels tires. It doesn't mean they are poor, dangerous tires, but they are also not their flagship tires nor are they usually manufactured to the exact same specs, so in essence the customer is still just buying entry/mid grade tires. Sort of like buying a genuine Maytag washing machine at Coast Appliances, or buying the "Licensed by Maytag" entry level washing machine at Future Shop. It is a label designed to help sell a lower level of product to people who don't want to spend the full pop on the genuine article...

I am not trying to convince people to buy off of me as much as just making sure they are educated on what they are buying. In the end it is still a tire that is round, black and rolls and passes DOT standards for safety etc, and it is the customers money and they have to be happy spending it...

Bob I am going to need some new winter tires either late this winter or for next season, because I just bought a place money is going to be tighter for car costs, what would you recommend I look at for winter tires in the mid-lower range of pricing, I am not overly concerned about brand like I am with my summer tires.

tirebob
01-31-2013, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

Bob I am going to need some new winter tires either late this winter or for next season, because I just bought a place money is going to be tighter for car costs, what would you recommend I look at for winter tires in the mid-lower range of pricing, I am not overly concerned about brand like I am with my summer tires.

What size tire?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-31-2013, 12:03 PM

What size tire?

Right now I have 205/50/17s which I find are far to narrow for a car with close to 300hp going through the rear wheels with no locking or limited slip diff in the dry, I was hoping to step up to 215/50/17s or 225/45/17s but im not sure the wheels I have now are wide enough.

tirebob
01-31-2013, 05:04 PM
Cal me at the shop tomorrow if u have time a d we can go through options!

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-31-2013, 05:10 PM
Sounds good thanks.

flipstah
03-14-2013, 09:34 PM
Thought I'd bump this thread rather than making a new one. So even though the weather doesn't look like it, summer is almost here and it's time to pick summer tires!

Now usually, I go A/S but since I have now gone the dedicated seasonal tire route, I need a lesson on summers.

So my criteria as to what I think great summer tires should (in descending order):

1.) Great dry handling conditions
2.) Quiet ride
3.) Safe in wet conditions
4.) Price

I've done some research and have come up with two so far:

Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position (http://www.bridgestonetire.ca/tire/potenza-s-04-pole-position)

Hankook Ventus V12 (http://www.hankooktire.ca/Handler/RequestFileHandler.ashx?fileName=PRODUCT/K110_Catalog.pdf&siteCode=)

I find the Michelin PSS to be pricey but from what I'm told, they're a great set.

I'm open to suggestions and like to hear what people have to say and experienced.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-15-2013, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
Thought I'd bump this thread rather than making a new one. So even though the weather doesn't look like it, summer is almost here and it's time to pick summer tires!

Now usually, I go A/S but since I have now gone the dedicated seasonal tire route, I need a lesson on summers.

So my criteria as to what I think great summer tires should (in descending order):

1.) Great dry handling conditions
2.) Quiet ride
3.) Safe in wet conditions
4.) Price

I've done some research and have come up with two so far:

Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position (http://www.bridgestonetire.ca/tire/potenza-s-04-pole-position)

Hankook Ventus V12 (http://www.hankooktire.ca/Handler/RequestFileHandler.ashx?fileName=PRODUCT/K110_Catalog.pdf&siteCode=)

I find the Michelin PSS to be pricey but from what I'm told, they're a great set.

I'm open to suggestions and like to hear what people have to say and experienced.

I would suggest Direzzas for the Golf R but they are quite noisy compared to the PSS. I personally didnt like the Ventus V12, never owned them but a friend had them on his R32 and they didnt seem to last very long or grip particularly well.

flipstah
03-15-2013, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

I would suggest Direzzas for the Golf R but they are quite noisy compared to the PSS. I personally didnt like the Ventus V12, never owned them but a friend had them on his R32 and they didnt seem to last very long or grip particularly well.

The Star Spec? http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireModel=Direzza+Sport+Z1+Star+Spec&tireMake=Dunlop

That was C&D's #1 pick behind the Hankook's.

So far so good! Thanks!

tirebob
03-15-2013, 06:52 AM
Don't discount the new Toyo T1-Sport (not the old T1-S BTW) for your pure summer sport use... I have multiple extremely aggressive driving customers who ran these last summer and so far I have had nothing but rave reviews back on them...

Understand though, generally the stickier the tire, the faster the wear, so think in terms of getting balance for how you drive. If you don't drive to the extreme (driving fast is not necessarily driving aggressively), you will probably end up much further ahead on almost everything from cost and wear to hydroplaning resistance and ride quality stepping back to an Ultra High Performance A/S tire (I hate that term as they are three season tires, especially in the UHP category), but that said, extreme hardcore dry cornering power is always going to be better with a dedicated hardcore summer tire.

flipstah
03-15-2013, 06:58 AM
Don't discount the new Toyo T1-Sport (not the old T1-S BTW) for your pure summer sport use... I have multiple extremely aggressive driving customers who ran these last summer and so far I have had nothing but rave reviews back on them...

Understand though, generally the stickier the tire, the faster the wear, so think in terms of getting balance for how you drive. If you don't drive to the extreme (driving fast is not necessarily driving aggressively), you will probably end up much further ahead on almost everything from cost and wear to hydroplaning resistance and ride quality stepping back to an Ultra High Performance A/S tire (I hate that term as they are three season tires, especially in the UHP category), but that said, extreme hardcore dry cornering power is always going to be better with a dedicated hardcore summer tire.

Yes, Bob! I was waiting for your presence lol.

Are these it?

http://www.toyotires.ca/tire/pattern/proxes-t1-sport

Wear and tear shouldn't be a problem because I'll be doing the switch every summer/winter so >3 seasons in a summer tire is more than dandy for my tastes.

I won't be driving aggressively all the time, just during a weekend or so if there's Auto-X or if I drive to Cali and want to track there.

I remember that you mentioned to have dedicated set for racing, but right now I'm looking for the summer season replacement for 90% daily driving; 10% hooliganism.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-15-2013, 07:16 AM

The Star Spec? http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireModel=Direzza+Sport+Z1+Star+Spec&tireMake=Dunlop

So far so good! Thanks!

Yes, I ran my first set of Z1 Star Spec last summer, I got 17000km of street driving, about 75 auto x runs, and a night of hooning and they were still above the wear bars, I put a fresh set on again this year, can't wait.

My dad switched from the Direzza to the PSS on his Z4M, better tire for the street and quieter, but he only got about 9000-10000km of street driving and 75 auto x runs and they were done.

He's planning to switch back to the Direzza 2 this year.

tirebob
03-15-2013, 08:02 AM
That is the T1-Sport you bet...

If you are willing to sacrifice some qualities for 90% of your driving to have more abilities for your 10% hooliganism, absolutely this is the type of tire that you will benefit from for sure. If you would rather orient your tire to the 90% of your driving, you are going to sacrifice some qualities for the other 10%, what will be best depends on where you want to go between those.

As for which summer tire to go with if you want that level of performance, just like cars, no one will be everybody's favourite nor will any one be better at everything than any other. I will say out of the ultra premium pure summer street tires, Toyo is one I do like a lot. That said, if you said you prefer Michelin or Yokohama or whatever, I am not going to argue it as we all like different things. Compare apples to apples and you still get apples. Compare apples to oranges, and everything changes. A Michelin PS2 or a Toyo T1-Sport will do an extremely similar job, while a Toyo R1R and a Michelin Hydroedge will not...

Buy the tire "type" you want and don't get too hung up on "brand" because no matter what anyone tells you, similar products of premium quality will be so very close together in ability you would be hard pressed to realise the true differences in your real life driving. When you reach a point that shaving a couple tenths of a second off of your lap times becomes important, then go to town...

Yes, Bob! I was waiting for your presence lol.

Are these it?

http://www.toyotires.ca/tire/pattern/proxes-t1-sport

Wear and tear shouldn't be a problem because I'll be doing the switch every summer/winter so >3 seasons in a summer tire is more than dandy for my tastes.

I won't be driving aggressively all the time, just during a weekend or so if there's Auto-X or if I drive to Cali and want to track there.

I remember that you mentioned to have dedicated set for racing, but right now I'm looking for the summer season replacement for 90% daily driving; 10% hooliganism.

Murray Peterson
03-15-2013, 11:33 AM
If you buy hard core summer tires (Dunlop Z2, BFG Rival), you will get the best dry grip possible, but you do pay a price -- those big tread blocks are noisy, and the ride is noticeably less comfortable.

I switched to Continental DW for my daily driver tire (and rain tire for wet autox events). It is superb in the rain (the best short of a dedicated Hoosier rain tire). They have a quiet ride, and provided a surprising improvement in my gas mileage compared to the Dunlop Z1's.

flipstah
03-15-2013, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Murray Peterson
If you buy hard core summer tires (Dunlop Z2, BFG Rival), you will get the best dry grip possible, but you do pay a price -- those big tread blocks are noisy, and the ride is noticeably less comfortable.

I switched to Continental DW for my daily driver tire (and rain tire for wet autox events). It is superb in the rain (the best short of a dedicated Hoosier rain tire). They have a quiet ride, and provided a surprising improvement in my gas mileage compared to the Dunlop Z1's.

Quiet ride and superb in the rain? Hmm...

How long did they last you?

georgemagana
03-15-2013, 09:55 PM

So far so good! Thanks!

That's a really old test. They made a new one last year.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/monsters-of-grip-nine-summer-performance-tires-tested-comparison-test

Results:

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/monsters-of-grip-nine-summer-performance-tires-tested.pdf

Keep in mind the ZIIs just came out as well. Tirerack.com has awesome prices.

Murray Peterson
03-16-2013, 12:45 AM

Quiet ride and superb in the rain? Hmm...

How long did they last you?

I don't know yet. I drove them out to Tofino and back last fall, but that's about all the mileage they have so far. They have a 340 tread wear rating, so I assume they will last quite a while (at least compared to my Dunlops).

Here is Tirerack's test results for some of these tires:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/spiderChart.jsp?ttid=148

FixedGear
03-16-2013, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by 410440
Thanks Guys, I have ordered the tires.

This thread can be closed.

nice... people should be banned for doing this.

flipstah
03-16-2013, 07:44 PM
Not closed. Hence, the thread continues.

:dunno: