PDA

View Full Version : Graduating in April, want to get into the insurance industry

Kramerica
01-28-2013, 04:47 PM
I'm graduating in april with my Bcomm in accounting, I switched majors twice and just wanted to finish with something. I liked the risk management class I took and want to get into that field as I'm finding that accounting really isn't my cup of tea at this point.

Does anybody have any advice about where to apply and what avenues to pursue that will open up a good career path in the field but won't entail working crazy overtime all the time with half decent pay? I'm a hard worker but I really want to claw back my life after five years of doing university while working 1-2 jobs at the same time.

M.alex
01-28-2013, 05:31 PM
I sure hope you don't tell prospective employers you don't want to work hard for them because you just finished working hard in school! :rofl:

Kramerica
01-28-2013, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by M.alex
I sure hope you don't tell prospective employers you don't want to work hard for them because you just finished working hard in school! :rofl:

Nah I have handling interviews down to an art form. I'm a hard worker, I'm just sick of leaving the house at 7 am and arriving home at 9:30 pm the majority of the week.

gamman
01-28-2013, 11:47 PM
have you heard of an industry called oil and gas?

no offense, but you are insane if you ignore that one.

there is 5% of jobs in any industry that are awesome. Oil and Gas jobs are pretty awesome if you find the right place, and from what I have seen there are many that are awesome. Way more than almost any industry.

I would bet (from what I have seen from my friends) that there must be some risk management/production accounting type jobs that would satisfy your needs. Start doing accounts receivables/payables. It will take 4 years to get to a normal job, but I bet you won't regret it.

Kramerica
01-30-2013, 04:50 PM
I've thought about Oil and Gas, but I do have a couple of hesitations with going into there. I really don't want to go into an accounting job at this point and more or less am finishing up the degree just to have one, I don't really know what the entry positions are but I wouldn't mind something risk management related in that field.

woodywoodford
02-01-2013, 09:45 AM
The bigger O&G companies will have risk management departments, lots of them are even self insured. Honestly there's no competing with the lifestyle of an O&G job. The hours are pretty good with approx 8 hr days and the (very) occasional late night or weekend, money is fantastic compared to similar positions in other industries, and the pace is generally just a nicer one.
I was talking to some guy a while ago and he works for one of the producers as a fin'l analyst. They hired some banker (former GS or JPM or something) and the guy's having a hard time adjusting to the casual pace of the O&G guys. Food for thought...

leftwing
02-01-2013, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by woodywoodford
The bigger O&G companies will have risk management departments, lots of them are even self insured. Honestly there's no competing with the lifestyle of an O&G job. The hours are pretty good with approx 8 hr days and the (very) occasional late night or weekend, money is fantastic compared to similar positions in other industries, and the pace is generally just a nicer one.
I was talking to some guy a while ago and he works for one of the producers as a fin'l analyst. They hired some banker (former GS or JPM or something) and the guy's having a hard time adjusting to the casual pace of the O&G guys. Food for thought...

Yeah, from what I have heard from my friends who work for O&G + Energy companies, they get paid way to much for what they actually do.

cancer man
02-11-2013, 09:34 AM
PCL construction have a an opening still i think?

J-D
02-11-2013, 03:58 PM
It's pretty easy to get into certain areas of insurance but the starting pay is pretty balls and there seems to be high turnover.