PDA

View Full Version : FedEx rant

btimbit
01-28-2013, 04:51 PM
Extremely unimpressed with the FedEx Express service I have received. I payed for 2 day service, and on the day it was supposed to arrive I made arrangements to be home all day. The tracking said it was out for delivery, but it never came. This was on a Friday,so I had to wait until Monday before I would be able to receive the package.

On the Monday (today), again I make arrangements to be home all day to receive the shipment. Again tracking says out for delivery, so I wait at home. Upon checking the tracking later in the day, I find out that at 3:11 their was a driver at my house, but no attempt to deliver the package, just left a note asking for a signature and a cheque. Doorbell never rang, and again I've wasted an entire day for nothing.

After paying $59 for express shipping, it'll be an entire week before I receive my package, and there is another $50 charge for import duties. That's $109, to ship a package worth $100, and for it to arrive 3 business days late.

And I thought UPS was a pain:banghead: Strictly DHL for me from now on I guess

Disoblige
01-28-2013, 04:53 PM
Can't you get your money back to lessen the damage done?

Mitsu3000gt
01-28-2013, 04:59 PM
Call them, I bet they will refund your shipping cost.

UPS refunded me before when they were a day late, hassle free.

btimbit
01-28-2013, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Call them, I bet they will refund your shipping cost.

UPS refunded me before when they were a day late, hassle free.

They have an online form you can fill out, but the sender has to do it. I'll call them tomorrow

The import duties charge doesn't bother me, that's to be expected, but in this case it was like salt in the wound

xbr50
01-29-2013, 12:14 AM
I wish I kept the screenshot I took of my tracking info of a camera lens I bought that was shipped with Fedex last year...

Story: I bought a camera lens from Amazon and paid 56 bucks for their 2 day service as well. (Now I should mention I live in residence at the U of C and UPS, Canada Post, and Purolator has never had a problem getting the package to me, they either buzz my apartment number and have me come outside or leave it at the residence's reception desk).

I needed the lens for a photoshoot and never shipped with fedex before so I gave them a call and told them to put a note of the two options they deliver the package to me, I even included directions to the reception desk if they chose that route.

Come deliver date and I get home from class at 11am, tracking info says it was placed in the truck at 11:30 to be delivered. 6pm comes and I check the tracking only to see "Delivery exception, invalid address".
BULLSHIT, I give Fedex a call and confirm my address, everything checks out, they tell me they will make another attempt tomorrow.

Tomorrow comes, same bullshit... I don't see a truck (I live on the main floor that looks out the drop off zone) and around 6pm I check the tracking... "Delivery exception, invalid address."

The same bullshit of me calling them, they confirm address, and say we will try to deliver it again. I asked the lady on the phone to GOOGLE my address and make note that it fucking exists... she does and says she will make sure it gets delivered.

"Invalid address" occurs 3 fucking times, I finally tell them to deliver it to the residence main office, they do so but fail to tell me there is duties/fees I have to pay and they hold the fucking package for the weekend. I leave cash at the main office and the 5th fucking time they try delivering to my building again when I wasn't at home. The 6th fucking time they FINALLY get it delivered to the main office.

It took 2 fucking weeks and I paid for 2 day shipping, they refused to refund me the shipping since they claim it was beyond their control as my address is hard to find.

Cole notes: A package was delivered to me via Fedex and it took them 6 tries. I don't own a vehicle in Calgary so deliver was the only option.

FUCK FEDEX! /rant

woodywoodford
01-29-2013, 10:41 AM
The real icing on the cake is when fedex makes you drive all the way from beltline to the fucking airport to pick up your package. After that I have slightly more patience with UPS, but honestly I'm just going to start shipping shit to the office. UPS and Fedex both did the whole "delivery attempt" thing without so much as a knock on the door.

Really though, postal system is where its at. They attempt delivery (confirmed), and if I'm not home the package is actually available to pick up that very evening! Who'da thought? UPS usually makes me wait until monday.

CanmoreOrLess
01-29-2013, 10:53 AM
I see the truck delivery to my door as being the real weak link here, for that reason I like to pick up items at the depots (retail and warehouse). A hassle for sure, at least I am not waiting around all day for something that may not arrive. At the depot I know when it has arrived, I can control the time of pick up and some depots are open on Saturdays. Check the depot times though, a local UPS retail store closes at 6PM during weekdays.

btimbit
01-29-2013, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
I see the truck delivery to my door as being the real weak link here, for that reason I like to pick up items at the depots (retail and warehouse). A hassle for sure, at least I am not waiting around all day for something that may not arrive. At the depot I know when it has arrived, I can control the time of pick up and some depots are open on Saturdays. Check the depot times though, a local UPS retail store closes at 6PM during weekdays.

Don't mind that for purolator or ups, since they have locations nearby, but with fedex your only option is way the hell up at the airport. That's an hour+ there and back for me.

msommers
01-29-2013, 03:10 PM
UPS, Fedex, Purolator...they're all bad for just leaving stuff at the front door without even knocking. I heard something outside the front door as I was passing by so I opened it, only to see the UPS guy walking down my sidewalk. I gave him shit about it, apparently the doorbell didn't work. So I tried it as he's standing there and it works fine. "Didn't work when I tried it," he says. 'Don't be so fucking lazy,' I should have said.

Makes me wonder if they give too many packages to the drivers, so if things aren't perfect (like a super easy address) or they don't require money/signature, they push it off until the next day when they might not be working.

I was forced to use UPS for my tripod coming in next month. Hope to God it's not an ordeal and they actually follow the 'Package MUST be left at backdoor if no one is home' message.

If I worked in an office, I'd have everything shipped there. Seems like the way to go these days.

clem24
01-29-2013, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by msommers
If I worked in an office, I'd have everything shipped there. Seems like the way to go these days.

Oh yeah baby.. I've had everything, even my Tassimo, delivered to my office. I try to not deliver stuff to my house to avoid the doorbell ringing and waking up the kids.

DeleriousZ
01-29-2013, 04:57 PM
This is why I use the post office for prettymuch everything. USPS ONLY when shipping out of the states. I've had good luck with UPS for amazon.ca stuff.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-29-2013, 05:16 PM
Honestly, I've had pretty good experiences with Fedex. The one time they failed to deliver a time-sensitive piece of gear (didn't ring the doorbell, just left a tag), I called them up, bitched about it, and they sent the driver back to my house the same day.

btimbit
01-29-2013, 05:25 PM
In contrast to the crappy service from FedEx, yesterday I made another order. Shipped via DHL. Sender sent me an invoice and tracking number at 3:15pm yesterday, and I just received the package a few minutes ago.

Package was roughly the same weight, size, and value as the one I shipped via FedEx, came from further away, cost less to ship, arrived 3 days sooner with no extra import duties.

Huge:thumbsup: for DHL.

Originally posted by DeleriousZ
This is why I use the post office for prettymuch everything. USPS ONLY when shipping out of the states. I've had good luck with UPS for amazon.ca stuff.

Only issue with USPS is it always seems to take 2 weeks minimum to get anything. Always problem free though

Tik-Tok
01-29-2013, 05:30 PM
You'll have variable experiences with all shipping companies. There is no single one that stands out from the rest for service. DHL has failed me numerous times (as has Purolator, UPS, and FedEx... the worst offender was Canada Post itself, when it's customs department seemingly lost my TqConverter for 6 weeks (while my Audi sat on jackstands :banghead: )

DeleriousZ
01-29-2013, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by btimbit
Only issue with USPS is it always seems to take 2 weeks minimum to get anything. Always problem free though

Yep, I generally try and plan a 2 week lead time into anything I order. If it's an emergency, then I'll generally bend over and buy it locally or pay the $$$$ for fast shipping.

btimbit
01-29-2013, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ

Yep, I generally try and plan a 2 week lead time into anything I order. If it's an emergency, then I'll generally bend over and buy it locally or pay the $$$$ for fast shipping.

:werd:
Anything that isn't a priority, USPS always gets it here properly and without issue. Almost always charge everything upfront, no hidden import duty BS which gets a huge:thumbsup: from me

PurolatorHelp
01-30-2013, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by msommers
UPS, Fedex, Purolator...they're all bad for just leaving stuff at the front door without even knocking. I heard something outside the front door as I was passing by so I opened it, only to see the UPS guy walking down my sidewalk. I gave him shit about it, apparently the doorbell didn't work. So I tried it as he's standing there and it works fine. "Didn't work when I tried it," he says. 'Don't be so fucking lazy,' I should have said.

Makes me wonder if they give too many packages to the drivers, so if things aren't perfect (like a super easy address) or they don't require money/signature, they push it off until the next day when they might not be working.

I was forced to use UPS for my tripod coming in next month. Hope to God it's not an ordeal and they actually follow the 'Package MUST be left at backdoor if no one is home' message.

Hello Msommers,

I sincerely apologize if we disappointed you.

If the shipper selects the “signature not required” service, the package will be left at the door. We ask the drivers to use their discretion and to leave the package if they are of the opinion that the shipment will not be lost or damaged.

If you want to send us the details at [email protected] , we can ask the driver to do a courtesy knock/ring for future deliveries.

Best regards,

Catherine Côté
Social Media Coordinator / Customer Care Team
Purolator Inc.www.Purolator.com
E-mail / Courriel: [email protected]
Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/purolatorhelp

btimbit
01-30-2013, 08:18 AM
Hey look at that, all you had to do was vaguely MENTION Purolator and you get a response. Yet with FedEx two phone calls and an email get you nothing.

:thumbsup: For Purolator on that front I guess

FixedGear
01-30-2013, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by PurolatorHelp

Hello Msommers,

I sincerely apologize if we disappointed you.

If the shipper selects the “signature not required” service, the package will be left at the door. We ask the drivers to use their discretion and to leave the package if they are of the opinion that the shipment will not be lost or damaged.

If you want to send us the details at [email protected] , we can ask the driver to do a courtesy knock/ring for future deliveries.

Best regards,

Catherine Côté
Social Media Coordinator / Customer Care Team
Purolator Inc.www.Purolator.com
E-mail / Courriel: [email protected]
Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/purolatorhelp

LOL, a "courtesy knock." Isn't that what we're paying for in the first place though? That's like the roofer telling you he can do a " courtesy hammer all the nails down" when you request it.

Cooked Rice
02-01-2013, 04:33 AM
A lot of fedex couriers don't give a shit, because they get paid regardless if the package gets to you. The routes can be extremely busy, and the courier managers can be quite dicks to them with unreasonable workload demands, unfortunately this is un-addressed because adding more staff costs money the company doesn't want to spend. I get everything marked as HAL - held at station, this prevents having to deal with "courier tag" as I like to call it.

Maxt
02-01-2013, 07:20 AM
Fedex works in funny ways. Ordered parts from a warehouse in the deep SW of USA. I needed one valve faster than I need the other stuff, so I had the valve shipped Fedex express air or whatever they call it, and the other box of various parts shipped international economy ground. I get a call I have a package to pick up and its the international economy ground package, it came first. :nut: .. I dont even bother using the air freight option anymore.