PDA

View Full Version : Crayfish

natty54
01-29-2013, 08:33 PM
Just wondering where you can go to eat or buy fresh crayfish?

I checked with the local suppliers and they only have just the tail meat

Benny
01-29-2013, 10:05 PM
Billingsgate Seafood Market by Foothills Hospital has boxes of frozen, pre-cooked whole crawfish. They're seasoned pretty well. Easy to prepare and pretty tasty. I've seen them at T & T a couple times, but they're not there all the time. There's also some seafood distributor in the NE (I forget the name) that I seem to remember you can buy raw whole crawfish.

natty54
01-29-2013, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Benny
Billingsgate Seafood Market by Foothills Hospital has boxes of frozen, pre-cooked whole crawfish. They're seasoned pretty well. Easy to prepare and pretty tasty. I've seen them at T & T a couple times, but they're not there all the time. There's also some seafood distributor in the NE (I forget the name) that I seem to remember you can buy raw whole crawfish.

Awesome I will check them out!

spacerz
01-29-2013, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Benny
There's also some seafood distributor in the NE (I forget the name) that I seem to remember you can buy raw whole crawfish.

That would be City Fish.

trieu
01-29-2013, 11:44 PM
My cousin over nighted some from New Orleans I think, they are still fresh and they come with seasoning too. Having crayfish boils down in Louisiana was awesome!

SJW
01-30-2013, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by trieu
My cousin over nighted some from New Orleans I think, they are still fresh and they come with seasoning too. Having crayfish boils down in Louisiana was awesome!

I used to live in Lafayette and you're right, it was awesome.

taemo
01-30-2013, 10:19 AM
a little bit OT but I don't get crayfish, how the heck do you eat it?
there's barely any meat inside.

Markll7
01-30-2013, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by taemo

It's all about the brains my friend... and also getting a few kilos per person.

Benny
01-30-2013, 11:45 PM

You cook a shitload of them.

trieu
01-31-2013, 12:02 AM
Good crayfish depends on the seasoning it's boiled in too. The social part of it is the best part, you get a huge group of people and drink beer while eating them.

Markll7
01-31-2013, 01:07 AM
Good crayfish depends on the seasoning it's boiled in too. The social part of it is the best part, you get a huge group of people and drink beer while eating them.

Oh hell yeah man. Cajun style where you're outside with a bunch of buddies and just paper laid over a picnic table, some decent music, corn, taters and whatever else -or- Chinese style with soy sauce and chili paste in a smokey ass alley in the middle of fucking no where in Mainland.

DeeK
01-31-2013, 07:29 AM

Yep just like wings and beer, except less meat.

taemo
01-31-2013, 08:29 AM
thanks, will be giving it couple of tries again while in Florida next week.
we just love ordering a bucket full of creole/cajun seafood

btw anyone ever eaten at Blues Can down in Inglewood?
http://www.thebluescan.com
curious to hear how authentic their cooking is to Louisiana cuisine

DENZILDON
01-31-2013, 09:15 AM
Dang I miss Crawfish now... This was taken from a local place we go to near my parents house in Florida.

http://instagram.com/p/VJxQMRHtWw/

http://instagram.com/p/VJxQMRHtWw/

Benny
01-31-2013, 09:19 AM
thanks, will be giving it couple of tries again while in Florida next week.
we just love ordering a bucket full of creole/cajun seafood

btw anyone ever eaten at Blues Can down in Inglewood?
http://www.thebluescan.com
curious to hear how authentic their cooking is to Louisiana cuisine

I've been going a little stir crazy for a proper po-boy sandwich for a while now. A buddy said the Blues Can does a fairly good job of it. Anyone with any personal experience?

Kritafo
01-31-2013, 09:24 AM
jeeez, making me want to take a trip. craw boil and boiled peanuts and a slice of pecan pie would just about be perfect

KRyn
01-31-2013, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Kritafo
jeeez, making me want to take a trip. craw boil and boiled peanuts and a slice of pecan pie would just about be perfect

Better leave your daughter at home, I doubt she would be down for sucking brains!

Kritafo
01-31-2013, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by KRyn

Better leave your daughter at home, I doubt she would be down to suck the brains out of some crayfish!

lol...that is very true, however I think we could hook her up with something boring. We try to always feed her before we go somewhere knowing she won't eat. She just gets a drink and sometimes a dessert while we eat meals she wouldn't touch. Just don't try to convince her to try it. lol

taemo
02-12-2013, 11:37 AM
went to Orlando next week and we are now hooked on crawfish, i guess when we had some in San Diego we had tiny ones that didnt make it pleasant to eat

but these ones from New Orleans Cajun Seafood restaurant in Orlando
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/8404/craw.jpg
:drool:

we also tried Hot N Juicy too, we ordered the mild spicy and it was still hot
fortunately they have a restaurant in LA and Vegas too

taemo
01-12-2014, 08:37 PM
bumping this as i found a restaurant in Alberta that serves Crawfish boil,
it is Tooloulou's Bistro & Bar in Banff.
http://www.taximike.com/tooloulou.html
we went for breakfast this morning and the miss ordered the eggs beni with shrimp and crawfish and it was awesome!
saw on their dinner menu that they serve crawfish boil Louisiana style.
$36 per 1.5 lbs though and it comes frozen from Louisiana.
Has anyone tried it yet there? we are planning to go sometime in February.

Benny
01-13-2014, 04:15 PM
bumping this as i found a restaurant in Alberta that serves Crawfish boil,
it is Tooloulou's Bistro & Bar in Banff.
http://www.taximike.com/tooloulou.html
we went for breakfast this morning and the miss ordered the eggs beni with shrimp and crawfish and it was awesome!
saw on their dinner menu that they serve crawfish boil Louisiana style.
$36 per 1.5 lbs though and it comes frozen from Louisiana.
Has anyone tried it yet there? we are planning to go sometime in February.

Yeah I was in Banff last weekend and I went to Tooloulou's. I passed on the crawfish though, because I really can't justify spending that much on the damn things. I just remember them being so stupid cheap where I come from.

JC522
01-14-2014, 01:15 AM
I bought a box from billingsgate today for 23$. Not as good as from restaurants like boiling crab but it'll do in a pinch

DENZILDON
01-14-2014, 10:07 AM
Can't wait to visit my parents again in Florida this May!!! We always go to place in Green Cove Springs Florida called Outback Crab Shack and grab a platter of this.......

http://i30.tinypic.com/2evdyft.jpg

Actually we get two platters for a party of four and lots and lots of melted butter and lemon, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm! :drool:

taemo
01-14-2014, 10:31 AM
that looks good :drool:

anyone have good recipe to make your own boil at home?
wouldn't mind making some at home with shrimp

will be going to Banff on Feb long weekend, so I'll try make a review then.

n1zm0
01-14-2014, 10:58 AM

lots of oldbay and garlic powder :D

went to this hole in the wall in Orlando and watched the chef dump half a tin of oldbay into the pot, some butter, pepper and garlic powder. Then potatoes, corn, shrimp, crawfish and crab, best boil ever.

Apparently it's a staple seasoning for lots of shellfish boils along the Eastern and Southern US seaboard. I went to get some for myself from Superstore.

edit: Oldbay Shrimp boil (http://oldbay.com/Recipes/Shrimp/Main-Course/The-Original-OLD-BAY-Shrimp-Boil-Shrimp-Fest.aspx)

taemo
01-14-2014, 11:16 AM
^awesome, thanks for the tip!

so you can buy the Oldbay seasoning from Canadian Superstore?
have to try this over the weekend now

sexualbanana
01-14-2014, 11:30 AM
I'm sure someone else can find a 'That shit cray' meme

n1zm0
01-14-2014, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
I'm sure someone else can find a 'That shit cray' meme

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lps79oaF5g1qiea95o1_500.png

so you can buy the Oldbay seasoning from Canadian Superstore?

Yeah spice isle, the metal yellow tin is hard to miss. When I watch triple D's (Diner's, Drive-ins and Dives) and they show a boil on the show, it's always 'onions, potatoes shrimp.... Half a tin of oldbay, plate it, then sprinkle the other half tin of oldbay' :rofl: they love their oldbay alot I guess, just google 'oldbay boil' and theres a gazillion recipes.

Put it on mashed potatoes once, not bad, its really just celery powder and 'stuff'.

bleu
01-14-2014, 07:48 PM
At home we love seafood boils. I will have to try that oldbay seasoning next time. I usually just use butter, chicken broth and then the seafood and some seasonings. It turns out really good!

We usually have clams, mussels, shrimp, corn, potatoes and bacon and a lobster. I've been wanting to try crayfish - next time hopefully

Kavy
01-14-2014, 08:41 PM
that looks good :drool:

will be going to Banff on Feb long weekend, so I'll try make a review then.

This is what I use:

4 lemons
5 heads of garlic
4 peeled onions
1lb butter unsalted
Kosher salt
Old bay x 2
Corn on the cob husked and cut in 3rds
Small red potatoes
Italian sausage
Whole mushrooms
15 pounds crawfish

Squeeze lemons into water (I have a 60 gallon pot that I fill half way) throw in all spices but no veggies.
Bring to boil, once boiling add corn, chunks of Italian sausages, potatoes and mushrooms to the pot in a strainer. Boil 15 minutes. Then add crawfish boil 5 minutes.

Turn off the heat and suffer through the smell for the next 25 minutes as they soak. Pull up the strainer and let drain (I cut a hockey stick in half and place the two piece across the top of the pot and put the strainer on top to let it drain) once drained pour where ever you want and eat. I picked up 5 huge serving plates from the dollar store that work perfectly.

They come into season in a few weeks and you can get them sent to you alive. Cleaning them is the most important aspect of taste. I haven't tried frozen but I am sure I would still clean the frozen ones just to make sure. Cleaning them is much easier then it sounds.

For those that camp there is several places in Alberta that you can catch them live and cook them up around the campfire. Lots near red deer and Edmonton but you have to kill them and cook them same day as transporting them live is illegal I believe and they are bloody tiny so you need a lot.

And yes, I eat a lot of crawfish and have 3-4 boils a year :)

KRyn
01-15-2014, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Kavy

This is what I use:

4 lemons
5 heads of garlic
4 peeled onions
1lb butter unsalted
Kosher salt
Old bay x 2
Small red potatoes
Italian sausage
Whole mushrooms
15 pounds crawfish

Squeeze lemons into water (I have a 60 gallon pot that I fill half way) throw in all spices but no veggies.
Bring to boil, once boiling add corn, chunks of Italian sausages, potatoes and mushrooms to the pot in a strainer. Boil 15 minutes. Then add crawfish boil 5 minutes.

Turn off the heat and suffer through the smell for the next 25 minutes as they soak. Pull up the strainer and let drain (I cut a hockey stick in half and place the two piece across the top of the pot and put the strainer on top to let it drain) once drained pour where ever you want and eat. I picked up 5 huge serving plates from the dollar store that work perfectly.

They come into season in a few weeks and you can get them sent to you alive. Cleaning them is the most important aspect of taste. I haven't tried frozen but I am sure I would still clean the frozen ones just to make sure. Cleaning them is much easier then it sounds.

For those that camp there is several places in Alberta that you can catch them live and cook them up around the campfire. Lots near red deer and Edmonton but you have to kill them and cook them same day as transporting them live is illegal I believe and they are bloody tiny so you need a lot.

When is your next boil? :D
My buddies and I had one a few months ago now using frozen craw and it was decent. I can't imagine how much better they would be fresh. Have you ever used Zatarian's Concentrated Shrimp and Crab Boil? My buddy said it was key but we couldn't find any in Calgary.

Kavy
01-15-2014, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by KRyn

When is your next boil? :D
My buddies and I had one a few months ago now using frozen craw and it was decent. I can't imagine how much better they would be fresh. Have you ever used Zatarian's Concentrated Shrimp and Crab Boil? My buddy said it was key but we couldn't find any in Calgary.

I am thinking around valentines will be my next as the price goes down in February and I tend to give it a few weeks for all the shit craws to be sold. Depending on who you order from you can normally make an order on Monday and it will arrive by Friday as they ship 2 day service. You will lose some as I normally see about 1-3lb death on a 40lb bag. You absolutely do not want to cook one that is dead or have a few dead ones make it into the boil. When they arrive I keep them in the box they come in and just rinse off the bag then put them in a cooler with a frost pack and leave the lid of the cooler open. When I'm ready to cook I pour them into a huge ice cream bucket (like the ones marble slab has) with a whole box of salt and stir them gently. This will clean them up and will also help you find the dead ones. Whatever floats throw away.

I can't compare fresh to frozen as I have never tried frozen but imagine it would be like any seafood and be considerably better fresh.

Haven't tried Zatarian's but I have heard great things, have never seen it on a shelf anywhere tho.

bleu
01-15-2014, 07:50 PM
Who do you order from?

Kavy
01-15-2014, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by bleu
Who do you order from?

If your really interested pm me, I would prefer that the only place that has a reasonable price and stock doesn't end up our of stock and over priced because it's plastered all over the internet lol.

On a related note, as I said earlier crawfish are not in season right now so most places have prices that are close to double what they are when crawfish are in season. Even when they are in season crawfish aren't cheap like shrimp, expect to drop a couple hundred at least as ordering anything under 20lbs will be very expensive.

taemo
01-19-2014, 10:21 PM

This is what I use:

4 lemons
5 heads of garlic
4 peeled onions
1lb butter unsalted
Kosher salt
Old bay x 2
Small red potatoes
Italian sausage
Whole mushrooms
15 pounds crawfish

my first attempt tonight
http://distilleryimage10.ak.instagram.com/5718fed8817511e38a2d121a7ff3b48e_8.jpg

i forgot to put garlic and butter though :banghead:
as i was following this guide to the dot
http://www.food.com/recipe/old-bay-shrimp-boil-25745?scaleto=2&mode=null&st=true

plus i drained the whole boil.

lesson learned, can't wait for the next attempt.
only used 1/4 of the Old Bay container too as it was only for 2 people.

Kavy
01-19-2014, 10:52 PM
^ nice!

What were your thoughts? I drain the whole boil as well after it soaks the 25 minutes, I put the strainer above the pot till it fully drains. The butter and garlic will make a huge difference.

Did you use frozen?

BrknFngrs
01-19-2014, 11:10 PM

Was this a typo or do you actually use a 60 gallon pot? How do you even heat a pot that big??

I've never tried crawfish but this thread has me very very interested. What type of seafood would everyone say they most closely resemble? Shrimp? Crab?

Kavy
01-19-2014, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs

Was this a typo or do you actually use a 60 gallon pot? How do you even heat a pot that big??

60qt, I did not notice I wrote gallon haha.
That would be a fucking huge pot.

I bought this exact kit but in a 60qt not a 30qt. The 30 would be enough for most people and would probably do 10-15lb of crawfish with potatoes corn and shrimp.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Stainless-Steel-3-in-1-Combo-Cooker/product/10213184/

It was $259 on sale a few years ago.

DENZILDON
01-19-2014, 11:52 PM
It's like small lobsters

KRyn
01-20-2014, 08:43 AM

I am thinking around valentines will be my next as the price goes down in February and I tend to give it a few weeks for all the shit craws to be sold.

Haven't tried Zatarian's but I have heard great things, have never seen it on a shelf anywhere tho.

Excellent I will see you sometime in February for a Crawfish boil, I expect my invitation at least one week prior for scheduling reasons! :D :rofl: :thumbsup:

You should see if they can include some in your purchase of the Fishes of Craw! When my buddy and I had our boil we used the spice pouches available from Silk Road Spice Merchants. As mentioned, it turned out alright given the precooked Craw. It was a good thing numerous girls thought the Crawfish were icky, more for me.

taemo
01-20-2014, 09:27 AM
^ nice!

What were your thoughts? I drain the whole boil as well after it soaks the 25 minutes, I put the strainer above the pot till it fully drains. The butter and garlic will make a huge difference.

Did you use frozen?

nice heat but was lacking flavor and density. really needs the 2-4 sticks of butter and garlic.
will add mushroom too next time.

thoughts on adding cayenne, paprika or cajun

and yes, the shrimp were bought from T&T, the small 30/40 shrimps fronze for testing. I want the giants one though, the 8/12 in a box next haha
any recommendation where to buy good shrimp in town for boil and only 2-3 minutes to boil shrimp?

this video's ingredient is very close to yours so it is legit
UucVOAqP7ao
i would be very interested on a crawfish group buy!

60qt, I did not notice I wrote gallon haha.
That would be a fucking huge pot.

I bought this exact kit but in a 60qt not a 30qt. The 30 would be enough for most people and would probably do 10-15lb of crawfish with potatoes corn and shrimp.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Stainless-Steel-3-in-1-Combo-Cooker/product/10213184/

It was $259 on sale a few years ago.

sweet!
going to buy the 30qt pot combo unless they sell only pot+strainer.

Kavy
01-20-2014, 11:22 AM
I have added Cajun and Cayanne several times. The wife and her friends don't like hot food so when they are involved I skip it and just sprinkle old bay on after I plate it. Cayenne with red pepper flakes is a nice addition to the boil as is a few bay leaves.

Shrimp boil in a few minutes so 2-3 is a good guess. I think where I saw the biggest flavour kick up is the soaking. After the boil I pull out the basket and turn off the burner. I wait about 5 minutes then put the basket back in to soak for another 25 minutes. I found this to bring out the most flavour in the crawfish and potatoes.

When it comes to pots you can just buy the pots separate. I believe I saw them at Walmart for under $50. Make sure to get aluminum and a basket that does not touch the bottom of the pot when the lid is on. Most boilers should be that way just the cheapo ones will not.

We could possibly put together a group buy, like I mentioned previously I buy 40lbs about 4-5 times a year so a few more wouldn't be a big issue. I might be doing a boil for Super Bowl depending on what size runs are available as most is bait currently and even field tends to be a bit small but is workable. The supplier I buy from currently has high season prices but maybe I can work something out.

DENZILDON
01-20-2014, 11:29 AM
Kavy, how much is it per pound?

BigDL
01-20-2014, 11:43 AM
I have added Cajun and Cayanne several times. The wife and her friends don't like hot food so when they are involved I skip it and just sprinkle old bay on after I plate it. Cayenne with red pepper flakes is a nice addition to the boil as is a few bay leaves.

Shrimp boil in a few minutes so 2-3 is a good guess. I think where I saw the biggest flavour kick up is the soaking. After the boil I pull out the basket and turn off the burner. I wait about 5 minutes then put the basket back in to soak for another 25 minutes. I found this to bring out the most flavour in the crawfish and potatoes.

When it comes to pots you can just buy the pots separate. I believe I saw them at Walmart for under $50. Make sure to get aluminum and a basket that does not touch the bottom of the pot when the lid is on. Most boilers should be that way just the cheapo ones will not.

We could possibly put together a group buy, like I mentioned previously I buy 40lbs about 4-5 times a year so a few more wouldn't be a big issue. I might be doing a boil for Super Bowl depending on what size runs are available as most is bait currently and even field tends to be a bit small but is workable. The supplier I buy from currently has high season prices but maybe I can work something out.

how much on average does it cost per lb when you do your orders?

Kavy
01-20-2014, 11:44 AM
^ depends on how much you buy and when you buy. Buying right now means your paying near double what you will when you buy in march.

Normal prices for what I buy are around $4-$5 a pound off season and around $3 in season. Shipping is what kills you, I don't pay shipping :). These prices are for full craws (large) and not field or bait (bait is what you see when you buy frozen) and I haven't found a place that even comes close on price or quality. My last order had 6 dead only on 40lbs live, 6 dead is less then a pound. The "other" online place I tried has almost 10lbs dead on my 40lb order.

DENZILDON
01-20-2014, 11:52 AM
Daaang, I might need to order this for my bday in March!!!!!! :drool:

natty54
01-20-2014, 11:56 AM
I bought some pre-cooked and seasoned crayfish a few times now. Just steam it for a few minutes and it tastes pretty tasty

taemo
01-20-2014, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by DENZILDON
Daaang, I might need to order this for my bday in March!!!!!! :drool:

yuup, Kavy if you are ordering some within the next couple of months and willing to do a group buy, let me know.
I'm down for 10-15 lbs :thumbsup:

excellent tip!
even on the youtube boil video, they put some ice on the pot to cool it down

you&me
05-06-2014, 07:55 AM
Bumping this...

Has anyone had a chance to try any of the recommendations in this thread yet, or have any other suggestions for a source of crayfish?

Kavy - sent you a PM.

Kavy
05-06-2014, 08:14 AM
Didn't notice the PM will send a response in a few minutes.

When it comes to a source this is somewhat debatable, do you want live or frozen boiled?

flipstah
05-06-2014, 10:26 AM
Didn't notice the PM will send a response in a few minutes.

When it comes to a source this is somewhat debatable, do you want live or frozen boiled?

Live-boiled is preferred for crawfish and any seafood and I'd rather have frozen raw seafood than frozen-boiled.

Kavy
05-06-2014, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by flipstah

Live-boiled is preferred for crawfish and any seafood and I'd rather have frozen raw seafood than frozen-boiled.

Very much so but through this thread you will see that the options for such are not as plentiful as one would hope.

Crawfish is slightly different then other seafood especially when it comes to resale preparation. When purchasing frozen Crawfish 95% of the time will be preboiled, thats just how the preparation is done on crawfish before it is frozen and resold.

I always order 40lbs or more live and get it overnighted, this however is not an option for all as spending $200+ for it and the preparation involved is sometimes greater then someone wants to put in. I order 300+ lbs a year so live is a good option for me.

I asked which he preferred as Live Crawfish is not as easy to import as some would hope and depending on the amount someone is looking to purchase Frozen is a better (for convenience and cost) option than live is.

flipstah
05-06-2014, 11:18 AM

Very much so but through this thread you will see that the options for such are not as plentiful as one would hope.

Crawfish is slightly different then other seafood especially when it comes to resale preparation. When purchasing frozen Crawfish 95% of the time will be preboiled, thats just how the preparation is done on crawfish before it is frozen and resold.

I always order 40lbs or more live and get it overnighted, this however is not an option for all as spending $200+ for it and the preparation involved is sometimes greater then someone wants to put in. I order 300+ lbs a year so live is a good option for me.

I asked which he preferred as Live Crawfish is not as easy to import as some would hope and depending on the amount someone is looking to purchase Frozen is a better (for convenience and cost) option than live is.

Oh gotcha. Totally misunderstood. Carry on :)

Unknown303
05-06-2014, 01:58 PM
I tried ordering live a while back and they wouldn't ship it to me for some reason..:cry:

clem24
05-08-2014, 02:19 PM
OH gawd I need to invite myself to Kavy's house.. All this sounds so amazing!!! :drool: :drool: :drool:

cdnsir
05-09-2014, 01:25 PM
Nice thread! I just happened to do a snow crab and shrimp boil this weekend. Recipe is similar to taemo's except I used only one full can of Old Bay, adding like 5lbs of clams, and I put in both chrizo an kielbasa. Also made some lemon butter for dipping... that took it over the top!

Easy and taste awesome. I even saved the boiling liquid and made like a seafood-based borscht out of it. The only trick is to find a big enough pot that can cover all the goodness without diluting the stock too much. Still trying to track one of these down..