PDA

View Full Version : New Grad Chem. Eng. Tech.

dubhead
01-30-2013, 11:48 AM
So beyond I'll be graduating from SAIT's Chemical Engineering Technology program at the end of April. Do any of you guys know any companies looking for new grads right now? Been browsing many job boards but was hoping someone on here might have some inside info on who might be looking but not necessarily posting yet.

Also any tips on getting my first job from all the Technologists and Engineers on here would be greatly appreciated.

KRyn
01-30-2013, 11:57 AM
I would suggest getting on with a Hydraulic Fracturing crew. Spending a few years on site learning the trade will make it very easy for you to transition into an office job. You will also make some great coin. Just hit up all of the big well servicing companies, they are always hiring.

schocker
01-30-2013, 12:17 PM
Depends on what you want to do with your diploma. I graduated in 2009 and applied everywhere. There is lab work, field work as above, sales, vendors, EPCM, producers etc. I and a few of the other people from my class work at EPCM's, others at producers.

dubhead
01-30-2013, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the input guys

Originally posted by schocker
Depends on what you want to do with your diploma. I graduated in 2009 and applied everywhere. There is lab work, field work as above, sales, vendors, EPCM, producers etc. I and a few of the other people from my class work at EPCM's, others at producers.

That's part of the problem so many choices. I would like to start out at an EPCM but it seems like most EPCM's give us the cold shoulder, even the ones that work directly with our program don't end up hiring many of us if any, off the bat. Definitely willing to cut my teeth in field for a few years but ultimate goal is to get into the design end of things. Most certainly don't want lab work at least I know that for sure.

schocker
01-30-2013, 05:14 PM
I think as a technologist you would probably have more success applying at small to mid size epcms. Just google around and start checking jobs and sending in resumes. The sait job board sometimes has jobs also. A quick search looks like cornerstone is hiring project engineers/technologist, that could be one to apply for. You can always work your way into some time in the field working at an epcm also to get a taste for it. Lab work though seemed pretty boring and the pay was awful from my interview I had while I was looking for work.

HiTempguy1
01-31-2013, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by schocker
I think as a technologist you would probably have more success applying at small to mid size epcms.

Depends. The nice thing about going big is that you are another cog in the wheel, with a defined system of advancement. At smaller companies, you either get to go big, or you get stuck in a rut at the position you started at it seems.

schocker
01-31-2013, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Depends. The nice thing about going big is that you are another cog in the wheel, with a defined system of advancement. At smaller companies, you either get to go big, or you get stuck in a rut at the position you started at it seems.
True but at a smaller company you could also have a much broader scope and more responsibility which is nice.