PDA

View Full Version : All in one GPS trainer/logger

revelations
01-30-2013, 02:09 PM
Folks,

I'm in the market for a GPS workout logger.
There are so many choices that I'm having a tough time narrowing it down.

Details:

- arm band mounted (watches are way too small)
- will be used for hiking, cycling, stationary cycling, jogging
- cadence/speed sensor (optional add on)
- HR
- no swimming
- 300-400$ budget (roughly)

I've thought about the Garmin OREGON, but not too sure it supports workout data logging.

sheik_yerbouti
01-31-2013, 11:07 AM
I would use your phone. Look If you have an iPhone 4S, 5, or a variety of different Android devices you can buy a Heart Rate Monitors and Speed/Cadence sensors which can transmit directly to the phone over Bluetooth Low Energy. Older iPhones require a dongle to plug in and use Ant+. Look into Wahoo fitness products, they're pretty good. Read the reviews on dcrainmaker.com

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/wahoo-fitness

98type_r
01-31-2013, 12:33 PM
What do you mean when you say watches are too small? Some of the Garmin multisport watches do exactly what you want and I've never heard anyone say that they're too small.

revelations
01-31-2013, 04:01 PM
Id like to have a big screen for when I go hiking (trail maps loaded) .... but I've never used a watch GPS before so its new to me.

Using a 2" screen to follow a trail map seems a little silly, but I could be wrong and people use it all the time :dunno:

revelations
01-31-2013, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by sheik_yerbouti
I would use your phone. Look If you have an iPhone 4S, 5, or a variety of different Android devices you can buy a Heart Rate Monitors and Speed/Cadence sensors which can transmit directly to the phone over Bluetooth Low Energy. Older iPhones require a dongle to plug in and use Ant+. Look into Wahoo fitness products, they're pretty good. Read the reviews on dcrainmaker.com

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/wahoo-fitness

thanks, thats what it sounds like Ill be doing if nothing else pans out .... I have a Samsung Note I phone... maybe I'll get a Note II and use the I for this.