PDA

View Full Version : Looking to hire someone for home network tweaking

C_Dave45
02-01-2013, 12:08 PM
I want to "tidy up" and organize my home network. Everything is disorganized and I have trouble reading different drives from my laptop to desktop and vice versa.

Right now I have two HD's in the desktop. I can read one with the laptop, but not the one I recently added. Even though it says that drive is fully shared. I'd like to be able to transfer/copy files from either machine.

The recently added one has pictures, that for some reason I can't edit, even from within the desktop, as it says they're all Read Only files.

So I'm looking for someone who can get everything running smoothly, and all drives organized better.

How much am I looking at?
Is this a few hour job, a full day?
Can I bring the desktop and laptop to you and get it done?
Or best if done on site?

ExtraSlow
02-01-2013, 12:35 PM
beyond user "wtf im nameless" knows about this stuff.

He suggested some stuff for mine that was a little beyond my modest needs, not sure if he does basic stuff as well, or just high end networks. Any other beyond users in this field?

v2kai
02-01-2013, 12:37 PM
prob a few hours, depending what you deem as 'organized better'

i assume you've just got a router and your machines are running a windows OS?

GQBalla
02-01-2013, 12:39 PM
an hour or two worth of work.

What Operating system are you using?

do the computers have users on them or is it just the local admin account?

it would be a job i would think on site at your place.

Sounds like a easy fix

Completely unshare the new HD and try to reshare it.
Or unshare the old HD and share only the new HD, can it be seen?

can another other computers see the new HD?

revelations
02-01-2013, 01:09 PM
OP unless everything else is 100% perfect in your home system setup, IMO, jobs like these dont end up "just" addressing the file sharing issue .... the problems usually involve a crappy router/ wireless connection or a PC that is loaded with junk and doesent do some of the things a normal Windows install is supposed to be able to do.

Having certain programs putting up extra barriers (eg Antivirus, system security) also creates headaches.

Worst case examples include having a pre XP sp3 and attempting to share files on a W7 machine on a crappy wifi that cuts out when the phone rings and having MCAFEE running a firewall behind in addition to the Windows firewall, which is running behind a NAT.

2 hours ideal, sure ... but can easily turn into 4, just sayin'

My solution - get a network storage device thats accessible from all PC's. Your router might already have a USB NAS connection where you can stick a external drive and share it on the network with little/no security (locally).

C_Dave45
02-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
an hour or two worth of work.

What Operating system are you using?
Windows 7 Home Premium

do the computers have users on them or is it just the local admin account?
No users, just admin

it would be a job i would think on site at your place.

Sounds like a easy fix

Completely unshare the new HD and try to reshare it.
Or unshare the old HD and share only the new HD, can it be seen?

can another other computers see the new HD?
Can "see" the new drive, but can't "read" it.
The desktop's "C drive" can be "read", but can't edit or delete files from the laptop.

New drive: e drive can't be read

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/ScreenShot030.jpg

"L" drive is an external attached to desktop..it CAN be read

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/ScreenShot032.jpg

Can't edit or delete files off desktop's "C" drive

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/ScreenShot033.jpg

Can only read/open files on two directories on "C" drive

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/ScreenShot031-1.jpg

wtf im nameless
02-01-2013, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by revelations
OP unless everything else is 100% perfect in your home system setup, IMO, jobs like these dont end up "just" addressing the file sharing issue .... the problems usually involve a crappy router/ wireless connection or a PC that is loaded with junk and doesent do some of the things a normal Windows install is supposed to be able to do.

Having certain programs putting up extra barriers (eg Antivirus, system security) also creates headaches.

Worst case examples include having a pre XP sp3 and attempting to share files on a W7 machine on a crappy wifi that cuts out when the phone rings and having MCAFEE running a firewall behind in addition to the Windows firewall, which is running behind a NAT.

My solution - get a network storage device thats accessible from all PC's. Your router might already have a USB NAS connection where you can stick a external drive and share it on the network with little/no security (locally).

What he said.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX38689

I use these on jobs all the time, they're awesome.

C_Dave45
02-01-2013, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by revelations

I can appreciate that concept. "it'll only take you (this) much time..." usually turn into the worst lol. In my trade that happens alot.

desktop: Windows Vista SP 2 running AVG.
laptop: Windows Home premium also running AVG.

Originally posted by wtf im nameless

What he said.

I'd love to do that...but I just don't want to drop a grand on this network. Just simply able to read all connected drives. It WAS running like that before, can't remember what OS' I was running though. (this goes back about 3 years) .

eblend
02-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Where abouts are you located?

I can help you out for free if your not too far.

v2kai
02-01-2013, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by wtf im nameless

What he said.

that's probably overkill for what he's trying to achieve. sweet yes, but costs a pretty penny for a basic home network beyond just basic file sharing.

*edit: too slow

yea if youre in the NW area I could swing by and make the tweaks over a beer.

C_Dave45
02-01-2013, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by eblend
Where abouts are you located?

I can help you out for free if your not too far.

Yes, I should've added that. I'm way down south, Canyon Meadows just off McLeod.

No way would I let anyone do it for free. Not looking for a special deal, I don't mind paying. whether its in "bottle" currency or good ole' "cash". Just because I know, like Revelation says, these things can easily turn into something longer than a person bargained for.

quick_scar
02-01-2013, 02:29 PM
If eblend is too far away, you are only a community over from me. I don't mind stopping by and taking a look one evening next week (if no one else is available this weekend). I am pretty booked up this weekend, but monday and thursday night are open next week.

If only 2 folders on the C: drive have write permissions, something is messed up somewhere.

When sharing out folders there are actually 2 levels of permissions, the share level permissions, and the folder and files themselves. I have been caught in the situation where the share was open to everyone, but if the files are not, users cannot make changes.

Mitsu3000gt
02-01-2013, 02:42 PM
A lot of your problems are likely quick fixes. I bet for someone experienced it wouldn't cost you more than a case of beer.

I remember going through all this crap with my WDTV Live and there were two levels of sharing permissions - unlocking both is what did it for me.

eblend
02-01-2013, 03:40 PM
I'm in Evergreen, so not far from you. If you are available sometime this weekend, or hell, even tonight, shoot me a PM with your number and I can swing by and take a look.

C_Dave45
02-01-2013, 03:51 PM
I'm in Evergreen, so not far from you. If you are available sometime this weekend, or hell, even tonight, shoot me a PM with your number and I can swing by and take a look.
Practically neighbours! Sweet....pm sent.

revelations
02-01-2013, 08:12 PM
As a plan B, (in case the onsite visit doesent work out) .......if you want to go with a networked external drive, all you need is a compatible router and a storag device - around 200$ for both.

If you have this router for eg. http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX32640 .... stick ANY external HDD that works with USB into the router USB slot and BAM ... instant file sharing (well almost).

No need to deal with Windows security credentials, firewall rules, etc.,

wtf im nameless
02-02-2013, 07:06 PM
You should get something like this Dave:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/365236/fs-hp-mediasmart-ex470-home-server/

eblend
02-02-2013, 10:50 PM
Went to see Dave today and fixed up his problems.

Memex took his old drive from his old computer and put it into the new, however, the ownership was set to an old account that doesn't exist, so had to change the ownership to administrators, then changed all of his permissions to administrators as well, since he couldn't even write to E locally! Fixed up his sharing since he uses different account names between computers. Hi share permissions were fine, but his security permissions did not allow the account on his laptop from accessing the files, so we got that fixed up and everything seems good.

Also had some symbolic links on the E drive...pointing back to C. Cleaned all that up as well and removed all the old Windows folders from the E drive, leaving just his personal files vs all the other crap that was on his old computer.

Overall wasn't a big issue, but all the hidden directories and symbolic links left all over the E drive made it a fun adventure. Overall I give MemEX a D- on the work done to this computer.

C_Dave45
02-02-2013, 10:58 PM
^ Thanks again, so much eblend!!!

Really appreciate the help. And nice to meet you.

JRSC00LUDE
02-02-2013, 11:11 PM
:clap:

I always enjoy seeing the "community" extend to real life, nicely done eblend.

Great reminders that MOST of us aren't actually assholes, we just play them in e life.

revelations
02-02-2013, 11:42 PM
Went to see Dave today and fixed up his problems.

Memex took his old drive from his old computer and put it into the new, however, the ownership was set to an old account that doesn't exist, so had to change the ownership to administrators, then changed all of his permissions to administrators as well, since he couldn't even write to E locally! Fixed up his sharing since he uses different account names between computers. Hi share permissions were fine, but his security permissions did not allow the account on his laptop from accessing the files, so we got that fixed up and everything seems good.

Also had some symbolic links on the E drive...pointing back to C. Cleaned all that up as well and removed all the old Windows folders from the E drive, leaving just his personal files vs all the other crap that was on his old computer.

Overall wasn't a big issue, but all the hidden directories and symbolic links left all over the E drive made it a fun adventure. Overall I give MemEX a D- on the work done to this computer.

user rating should = 105%

Grogador
02-05-2013, 09:27 PM
That's pretty terrible. If this is representative of the work done by Memory Express (http://www.memoryexpress.com), I'll hafta stop referring people there for their basic computer service needs...

clem24
02-12-2013, 09:39 AM
+1 for eblend.. Super nice guy. Unbricked my phone!