PDA

View Full Version : Porsche 914 STi

benyl
02-16-2004, 11:27 AM
Saw this on Superhonda.com

http://www.motortrend.com/motor/future/concepts/112_0401_fwish_porsches.jpg (http://www.motortrend.com/motor/future/concepts/112_0401_fwish_porschew.jpg)

click on pic for enlargements.

Porsche reaches down to grab the Sony PlayStation crowd with this super looooow two-seater powered by the 300-hp turbocharged flat four from the Subaru STi instead of the old air-cooled VW. Priced under $30K, the 914 STi could introduce a whole new generation of buyers to the Porsche brand.

MT

JAYMEZ
02-16-2004, 11:40 AM
I dont think that will ever happen.

hjr
02-16-2004, 11:48 AM
man, the 914 was the ugliest car they ever ever ever made. it was a disgrace to the name (in vw trim anyways). granted with the sti engine it would be pretty damn quick, but they should really just make it a new model line. but as mentioned above, it probably wont happen.

Zephyr
02-16-2004, 03:21 PM
thats a fake. its on motor trends "we wish they do this" list..i just read it on the magazine like two days ago....its not real

Moonracer
02-16-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by hjr
man, the 914 was the ugliest car they ever ever ever made. it was a disgrace to the name (in vw trim anyways). granted with the sti engine it would be pretty damn quick, but they should really just make it a new model line. but as mentioned above, it probably wont happen.

I actually like the 914 and would love to have one to race with!
The 924 is the ugliest IMO. But yeah I hear ya not too many like the 914. :D

Loquat15
03-04-2004, 07:40 PM
Didnt know there was a connection with Porsche and Subaru. Usually porsche either creates their own motors, uses VW's, or even Audi motors. Besides that, they wouldnt call it the 914. I'll be checking to see if it ever comes to the surface... doubt it will.

Yes, the 924 is ugly, thats why i got a 944 ;) the 914's can look very different than from what you are used to, check out www.renegadehybrids.com and check out the customercars section. its sick as hell.

AquamosH
03-04-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Loquat15
Didnt know there was a connection with Porsche and Subaru.

There isn't. The car is fake, I read the same article Zephyr did in Motortrend.

cappachihngo
03-05-2004, 01:31 AM
porsche 914 = no power, crappy POS, i'd never buy it unless it has a 911 engine stuck in it

MidEngine
05-02-2004, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by cappachihngo
porsche 914 = no power, crappy POS, i'd never buy it unless it has a 911 engine stuck in it

oxymoron
n : conjoining contradictory terms (as in `deafening silence' or 'front-wheel-drive sports car')

JustinL
05-02-2004, 08:03 AM

The 914/6 came with a 911 engine in it from the factory and was actually faster than the 911 of it's era. I really hope Porsche resurects this car to be an Elise killer.

Por-cha
05-02-2004, 08:13 AM
The 914 styling is shall I say unique but there is way uglier cars out there. At least it's not a box on wheels, generic, looks all the same, plastic POS. Yes, there is no room for a PlayStation but we're too busy driving anyways.

Most guys who rag on the 914 have never driven one, let alone a well sorted out teener. I don't see many dudes restoring a '70's Hon-duh.

As for a 914/4 having no power, I will invite anyone to come to Mosport Raceway for a bit of fun. See ya in the twisties!

rhodyguy
05-02-2004, 10:29 AM
ugly? you must not have gotten a good look at the subtle compound curves as one passed you:burnout:. as the stripped civic with the v-tech learned at an open track day a few fridays ago. 914 are momentum cars. what is the vw trim? a little research and you will understand the handshake agreement porsche had with vw with regards to production, that vw backed out of. for the sixes, prosche put the least powerful six and small brakes in them. why? so the lowly 914 wouldn't out perform their flagship models. if you think the 4 is a vw engine, how about springing for the difference between a type 1 build and a type 4. happy motoring.:drama:

rhodyguy

soloracer
05-02-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by hjr

I don't know...I kind of like how mine looks. Take a look at the other cars available in that time frame and you will find that the 914 is unique and pretty good looking.

http://members.shaw.ca/erikdumas/914%20wide%20body%20side.jpg

I just need to stuff a 400 hp engine in this and all the majority of you will see is:

http://members.shaw.ca/erikdumas/914%20rear%202.jpg

ZorroAMG
05-02-2004, 10:44 AM
wasn't the 914 such a HUGE bomb that Porsche was on the brink of bankruptcy from it?

Chevolvo
05-02-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
wasn't the 914 such a HUGE bomb that Porsche was on the brink of bankruptcy from it?

Actually, Porsche sold over 100,000 in North America during its 6 year production run. Good numbers even today.

Here's another sexy 914, kicking ass and taking names.

http://iesforums.org/luftGT.jpg

Por-cha
05-02-2004, 12:08 PM

If you don't know the fact's don't :bullshit:

:rofl:

Imperial914
05-02-2004, 01:09 PM

Then why do you drive an no-power, crappy POS Acura RSX?

UH-OH, OH SNAP!

Pot, meet kettle.

962 kid
05-02-2004, 01:14 PM
haha this thread has been jacked by shameless 914 owners!! resistance is futile!!

Ben
05-02-2004, 02:19 PM
gotta love the googleites that come and reap havok for 1 thread.

Bruce in Orygun
05-02-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Ben
gotta love the googleites that come and reap havok for 1 thread.

Just shows how much we love our 914's. I'm sure you'd do the same if we were to diss your beloved rides. It don't take long for the word to get out that there's a group that thinks you have an ugly car underpowered car. C'mon out to the Auto cross & see how the 914's fare. Maybe one of the owners will let ya drive one. They're a biggass gokart & not too many other cars can stay with'm on the twisties :thumbsup:

.......b

72914S
05-02-2004, 02:46 PM
Until you drive one don`t knock it. This little car is ALMOST the most fun you can have on four wheels so close to the ground.About the only way to spin out is a 90 turn @ over 80 mph.

962 kid
05-02-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Bruce in Orygun

They're a biggass gokart & not too many other cars can stay with'm on the twisties :thumbsup:

.......b

i bet my gokart could keep to one, on the straights too

ZorroAMG
05-02-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Por-cha

If you don't know the fact's don't :bullshit:

Hey Shit stain,

That is why I posed it in the form of a question. How's your GED coming, need a tutor for the punctuation part?

Qarl
05-02-2004, 03:54 PM
This is what Porsche 914s have for breakfast on the racetrack...

http://www.my914-6.com/images/rice.gif

Por-cha
05-02-2004, 04:31 PM

Hey Shit stain,

That is why I posed it in the form of a question. How's your GED coming, need a tutor for the punctuation part?

Awwww....I thought you could do better than that, a moron with your education and all.

Is that daddy's car?

no-rice914
05-02-2004, 04:45 PM
now por-cha be nice to the little children. they know not what they do. in fact, in order to make things clear to the rambunctious little tots, you should be clear in your communications. as such, mr zorro(which is 'i play with myself' in latin), AMG, what por-cha was trying to say is:

how about a nice cup of shut the fuck up you wet behind the ears little shit. you have no concept of what a true driving machine is other than what is fed to you from your bass pumping mass media radio station. had you the mental capacity for individual thought you would be able to discern the knee jerk "fuck you" response from the truly well thought "go flaggelate yourself in public" narrative based on independent facts. the facts are this:

1) bring your hon-duh to the twisties and you will lose
2) yes, your stereo is better. so what. our cars will beat your cars in any scenario.
3) yes, you cars look better with neon frame lights underneath to light your way. we limit the weight on our cars so as to make a mockery of anything you and your shaved head, baggy ass pant wearing ilk choose to put on pavement.
4) yes, your air shocks will bounce your car higher. we don't use air shocks as they are stupid. as are you. zorro the wanker....
5) ok, i really dig your curb feelers. and were it not for people like you, j.c. whitney would be out of business.

have a nice day and please put a new air freshener in your car.

Qarl
05-02-2004, 04:52 PM
Hey Zorro:

You said...

"wasn't the 914 such a HUGE bomb that Porsche was on the brink of bankruptcy from it?"

Weren't you supposed to capitalize the first letter of that sentence?

ugly914
05-02-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by hjr
man, the 914 was the ugliest car they ever ever ever made. it was a disgrace to the name (in vw trim anyways).

you call that UGLY ? :dunno:

Imperial914
05-02-2004, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by no-rice914
now por-cha be nice to the little children. they know not what they do. in fact, in order to make things clear to the rambunctious little tots, you should be clear in your communications. as such, mr zorro(which is 'i play with myself' in latin), AMG, what por-cha was trying to say is:

how about a nice cup of shut the fuck up you wet behind the ears little shit. you have no concept of what a true driving machine is other than what is fed to you from your bass pumping mass media radio station. had you the mental capacity for individual thought you would be able to discern the knee jerk "fuck you" response from the truly well thought "go flaggelate yourself in public" narrative based on independent facts. the facts are this:

1) bring your hon-duh to the twisties and you will lose
2) yes, your stereo is better. so what. our cars will beat your cars in any scenario.
3) yes, you cars look better with neon frame lights underneath to light your way. we limit the weight on our cars so as to make a mockery of anything you and your shaved head, baggy ass pant wearing ilk choose to put on pavement.
4) yes, your air shocks will bounce your car higher. we don't use air shocks as they are stupid. as are you. zorro the wanker....
5) ok, i really dig your curb feelers. and were it not for people like you, j.c. whitney would be out of business.

have a nice day and please put a new air freshener in your car.

Zing!

And we get all of that at a price less than what their daddies paid for their ricemobiles (until something breaks on the 914).

Krout burner
05-02-2004, 06:06 PM
Come on now guys. :drama:

Arguing online is like the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you are still retarded.

Us 914 owners know the deal. Let the kids learn out on the road and the track that 914s still kick ass 28-34 years later and their rice burners will be long forgotten 35 years from now. :D

ugly914
05-02-2004, 06:13 PM
Let the kids learn out on the road and the track that 914s still kick ass 28-34 years later and their rice burners will be long forgotten 35 years from now. :D

funny that you mention it, just came back from the PCA AutoX ...

about 70 cars total, 3 rungroups, LOTS of brand new bling-bling, Boxters, GT3s and GT2s and such, all souped up 911s, you name it.

guess who made TTOD (top time of day for those unfamiliar with AX) ???

a guy in a (nicely set up i have to admit) 30+ year old 914 2.0L 4-banger.

3 (yes, THREE) seconds faster than 2nd place ...

gotta love to see their faces, everytime, never get tired of it. yeah, you just bought a $100,000+ Porsche factory race car and you got your ass SPANKED by a 30+ year old NARP with a VW engine.

HAHAHAHAHA ...

i love my ugly 914! :clap:

Por-cha
05-02-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Krout burner
Arguing online is like the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you are still retarded. :D

But they started it!:devil:

:angel:

962 kid
05-02-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Por-cha

But they started it!:devil:

:angel:

sure we did

hmm lets take a look at the score here

914's are ugly - 1 point for beyond
914's are underpowered, save for the exclusive 914/6 - 2 points
914's DO handle like crap, mostly because of a weak chassis - 3 points
914's do have endless groups of hippies that would follow them to the end - 1 point, I guess

total score: beyond - 3, 914 hippies - 1

ZorroAMG
05-02-2004, 09:29 PM
Awwww, looky 962kid, these little girls are getting all upset:(

First of all, Por - celain, you came on here mouthing to me cause I asked a question about a fact that I had heard, so YOU shut the fuck up, I have more education than you spend all night dreaming about while driving your shitbox.

Second, not all of us are rice burners, in fact some of us have ten times the car you want your dad to buy.

I still don't get why you are all posting long winded bs like we give a fuck about their UGLY, SLOW OUTDATED POS poor-man's Porsche...

On another note, some of us here think that 914's are cool, those people would be YOU ten rejects that registered today. Go start your own forum and talk amongst yourselves about the car that Porsche is trying to forget.

As for you, No rice 914, you obviously know nothing about me, my REAL German car or anything outside of your beat 914, so I'd advise (only advise cause you are too far away and too stupid for me to really make you learn) you to try another avenue with me, it ain't workin' jabroni.

HAVE A GREAT DAY.

Chevolvo
05-02-2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid
sure we did

Ok, I'll accept this. I find some of them (like mine) to be totally hot, but they can look homely in some trim levels and from some angles.

Well first of all, you do have to consider we're discussing an almost 30 year old car, so no they're not going to outrun a 350z, but weighing ~2000lbs, even some of the 4-cyls were decent performers. An original 914-6 is rare, but not all that expensive, and you can easily make a replica with readily available parts, making it not much more exclusive than say a B18c Civic or something of that ilk (but much faster).

Sorry, but that's just nuts, and shows ignorance that can only be born of youth and inexperience. Attend any large motorsports events, or talk to anyone who participates in them and you'll soon find out the 914 has few rivals in handling.

914's do have endless groups of hippies that would follow them to the end - 1 point, I guess total score: beyond - 3, 914 hippies - 1

Woohoo we got a point! See guys persistence does pay off!

ugly914
05-02-2004, 09:41 PM
Go start your own forum and talk amongst yourselves

we did. we do. we also like to spank the shit out of little kids that would't know how to drive a car if their life had to depend on it.

you can call our cars (and us) all the names you want,
but you can't beat us on a track (or street) that has at least 1 corner in it!

every dumb-ass can drive fast in a straight line, that's why they have ripples on the side of the freeway here (to wake your sorry ass up right before you go through the bushes).

this is fun! reminds me when i was 18.
we used to flip cop-cars over for fun, ahhh, those were the dayz ...

ugly914
05-02-2004, 09:46 PM
cause you are too far away and too stupid for me to really make you learn

too bad i don't have a web-cam, you could see the FEAR in my eyes right now ... http://www.914club.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/aktion035.gif

962 kid
05-02-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Chevolvo

Sorry, but that's just nuts, and shows ignorance that can only be born of youth and inexperience. Attend any large motorsports events, or talk to anyone who participates in them and you'll soon find out the 914 has few rivals in handling.

oh really? the only 914's that handle well are full tube frame race cars with a fiberglass 914 shell. Youth yes, inexperince no. I've been around porsches my whole life and have many invaluable resources available. I know someone who bought one of the first ever 914-6's, and his 911 t-r handled better than his 914

ugly914
05-02-2004, 10:11 PM
oh really? the only 914's that handle well are full tube frame race cars with a fiberglass 914 shell. Youth yes, inexperince no. I've been around porsches my whole life and have many invaluable resources available. I know someone who bought one of the first ever 914-6's, and his 911 t-r handled better than it

thank you very much for clarifying what "Chevolvo" suspected.
you have never driven a 914 or even seen one compete.

does this car handle well?
http://www.sirandy.com/pix/racing/08.24.2002/IMGP0544.JPG

you bet your sorry ass ...

and guess who's faster @ AX?
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/uploads/post-2-1083540872.jpg

you have been around porsches your whole live 'eh?
shoulda have paid some more attention dude ...
:thumbsup: (still love my ugly 914)

rage2
05-02-2004, 10:18 PM
Alright, I'm closing this thread soon if you guys can't behave. I can understand the 914 guys being defensive, I have a 944 turbo, so I know what the ugly VW comments feel like ;).

You guys are getting WAY too personal. Some people have an opinion on our Porsches, and you know what? It's their opinion. If you love your car, great, no need to force your opinion on others by attacking them. And with the Honda/ricer comments... come on... you guys are just as ignorant with comments like that. Makes you guys look pretty bad.

My 2 cents.

962 kid
05-02-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by ugly914

thank you very much for clarifying what "Chevolvo" suspected.
you have never driven a 914 or even seen one compete.

does this car handle well?
http://www.sirandy.com/pix/racing/08.24.2002/IMGP0544.JPG

you bet your sorry ass ...

and guess who's faster @ AX?
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/uploads/post-2-1083540872.jpg

you have been around porsches your whole live 'eh?
shoulda have paid some more attention dude ...
:thumbsup: (still love my ugly 914)

does that look like a 914? not to me, you just proved what I said; if the 914's handled so well, why would they put in that chassis instead of just a set of sway bars or something?? oh, wait, thats not a 914, just a tube frame with a 914 body. I've seen many 914's compete, and you know what? I'll take the word of people who have driven track cars their entire lives, for I think that they would be more inclined to make an unbiased statement.

Krout burner
05-02-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid

sure we did

914's do have endless groups of hippies that would follow them to the end - 1 point, I guess

total score: beyond - 3, 914 hippies - 1

914s being ugly is opinion, not fact. -1 point from beyond

914s being underpowered is only a half truth, the 2.0 4 cyl has decent power for it's weight. Mine moves along nicely for a stocker. 0 points

914s handle like crap? Maybe compaired to a 962 but for a production car they handle insanely well, even by today's standards. Not many cars out there can pull 1g turn with 205 width tires and a little bit of suspension work. Not many new cars you can say that about, nevermind a car from the 70s.

Weak chassis? Only if they are rusted out. Even the 911 needs a strut brace but 914s don't, never did. +1 for the 914.

Endless group of hippies? I'm no hippy, just someone who knows what's good and doesn't follow the crowd like blind sheep.

Zorro, Some of you have cars that are 10 times what I want my father to buy? WTF is that supposed to mean? :whocares: Still, on a nice road, a well set-up 914 will hang with whatever street or race prepped production car you guys dig out. Fact is fact.

An expencive car doesn't give you skill, so say poor man's Porsche all you want. But when you get passed by one, your over priced penis extention won't seem so impressive. If you need a car to get the ladies, well you're probably uglier than you think the 914 is.

rage2
05-02-2004, 10:41 PM
alright, guess you guys can't behave. Closed.