PDA

View Full Version : Broke a fluorescent light bulb (spiral one) in the kitchen, any dangers?

r0g3r
02-04-2013, 03:55 PM
Hey guys,

Over the weeekedn i was trying to change bulbs in the kitchen and i wanted to put in a fluorsecent light bulb in (the spiral type) and the thing broke on me.

It cut me real good and took a while the bleeding to stop. I washed the wound and put a bandaid on it.

After cleaning up the wound i cleaned up the mess, picked up the shards and cleaned up, wiped the counters, sweeped the floor, vacuumed the floor.

Now I've been reading online that these bulbs have mercury in them.

Am I in any sort of danger here? is my kitchen and the contents in it in any danger?

Do u guys know anything on these fluorsecent light bulbs?

Please help out cuz it's starting to stress me out. Thanks!

CanmoreOrLess
02-04-2013, 03:59 PM
I'd be more concerned about your mercury amalgam fillings.

WeanAuZK_DY

r0g3r
02-04-2013, 04:00 PM
^^ What do you mean??

HuMz
02-04-2013, 04:01 PM
Pretty serious stuff, you may want to go to emergency.

:poosie:

speedog
02-04-2013, 04:08 PM
And to think we used to play with mercury in our bare hands in the 60's - no wonder my kids have three ears and a tail.

TYMSMNY
02-04-2013, 04:09 PM
Just air out the place really well. You'll be fine.

AndyL
02-04-2013, 04:18 PM
Omg! Evacuate! Call hazmat! You totally need disaster restoration!

seriously, people get their panties in a twist about this! There's what a microgram of mercury vapour in there?

I don't get it, its not uranium, but yeah I did have a neighbour get hazmat involved when they broke one, insurance paid to have the basement almost totally redone... new carpet, drywall, furniture... our insurance $ hard at work...

GS430
02-04-2013, 04:22 PM
..consults a car forum when in doubt of one's health and safety.

classic.

You probably have 3-6 days to live. Hug your loved ones, and tell them everything will be okay.

Unknown303
02-04-2013, 04:27 PM
Burn the whole place down and move to a new place.

r0g3r
02-04-2013, 04:41 PM
LoL take it easy guys,

I just read a bit about it and it just freaked me out. I understand this is a car forum but I posted in the Home and Garden section :D

Only reason i consulted here is most people are nice enough to share their input.

=)

GS430
02-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by r0g3r
LoL take it easy guys,

I just read a bit about it and it just freaked me out. I understand this is a car forum but I posted in the Home and Garden section :D

Only reason i consulted here is most people are nice enough to share their input.

=)

haha just busting balls, you should be okay.

Unknown303
02-04-2013, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
Omg! Evacuate! Call hazmat! You totally need disaster restoration!

seriously, people get their panties in a twist about this! There's what a microgram of mercury vapour in there?

I don't get it, its not uranium, but yeah I did have a neighbour get hazmat involved when they broke one, insurance paid to have the basement almost totally redone... new carpet, drywall, furniture... our insurance $ hard at work...

I'm going to break one in my Kitchen so I can rip everything out and rebuild it since it will be "repair work"

D. Dub
02-04-2013, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by speedog
And to think we used to play with mercury in our bare hands in the 60's - no wonder my kids have three ears and a tail.

Funny i remember passing it around in class in the 70s lol