PDA

View Full Version : Eloping

baygirl
02-05-2013, 08:12 PM
So as we start to discuss our wedding, the idea of eloping is appealing to me more and more. However Spiker's mother would have a stroke if we did this. My question is would you elope, knowing it would probably upset some people, or would you do what is necessary to keep the peace in the family?

sr20s14zenki
02-05-2013, 08:19 PM
I would do it, screw them, is it their life or their wedding? Do what makes you happy, people pleasing is for weeners.

My wife and i did something similar. Had a justice of the peace do it, with her parents, and my parents present, thats it, no wedding. Nice lunch after, good to go. Why put yourself in debt to keep other people happy?

03ozwhip
02-05-2013, 08:37 PM
being that its spikers second, i would say elope. im not sure on your status, but if its your second, its a no brainer to me.

Supa Dexta
02-05-2013, 08:48 PM
My sister did.. No big deal.. Just have a party later on for the fam and friends... Who cares, people will get over it. Who wants a stuffy church wedding or something nowadays.

Unknown303
02-05-2013, 08:52 PM
I would. And did. Saved piles of money, got to do what my wife and I wanted and in the end family will be just as happy either way.

Tik-Tok
02-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Semi-Elope?

We were going to have the big wedding, but figured "screw it". We had a small in Canada destination wedding, only invited parents, siblings, and one friend each. Had it right on the beach in Tofino, and dinner 11 people at the hotel.

Best decision we ever made.

ExtraSlow
02-05-2013, 09:00 PM
I wouldn't. To me, the wedding is all about the family. I don't think it's "for" the couple at all.
If you are inconsiderate to your future mother-in-law that day, it will effect your relationship with her for the rest of your life. Not worth it.

baygirl
02-05-2013, 09:09 PM
One, I think big weddings are a waste of money, and second if we get married here in Calgary it means none of my family will be able to attend. That is a big part of the reason I like the idea of eloping. However as Extra Slow said, it will affect relationships in the future. Maybe we can just get married and not tell anyone(we have seriously discussed that idea lol)

Unknown303
02-05-2013, 09:18 PM
People understand if you have a good explanation. My mom was extremely disappointed we didn't have a wedding. I was actually looking forward to getting the silent treatment for a while but she got over it almost immediately.

D'z Nutz
02-05-2013, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by baygirl
However as Extra Slow said, it will affect relationships in the future.

People need to get their heads out their asses then. Tell them you broke up because you couldn't agree on the wedding details. See how they change their tune haha

cdnpip
02-05-2013, 09:43 PM
If eloping meant having to have a huge party when you get back, then what's the point???

I'd probably have a chat with your future mother-in-law and say that having a wedding in Calgary means that your family won't be able to attend. See if there is any compromise? Maybe a destination wedding?

Supa Dexta
02-05-2013, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by cdnpip
If eloping meant having to have a huge party when you get back, then what's the point???

Because its two totally separate things.. The eloping is creating the bond between two people for the sake of confirming your love and commitment to your partner... blah blah.
The party is just so you can get together and have a fun time with friends and family and maybe get some free shit..

Its the planning and money spending and catering to others thats bypassed in this scenario.

rage2
02-05-2013, 10:14 PM
If you elope, are you paying for my plane ticket to marry you 2?

prosh
02-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by rage2

I hear Edmonton is nice this time of year...

JordanLotoski
02-05-2013, 10:26 PM
I did the drive thu in Vegas...Parents got over it.

going on 11 years now:thumbsup:

TomcoPDR
02-05-2013, 10:34 PM
Why not just do it on a Wednesday night Chinook parking lot once the weather permits?

spikerS
02-05-2013, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by rage2

HAHAHA! I bet you could officiate it in Vegas!

Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Why not just do it on a Wednesday night Chinook parking lot once the weather permits?

That's a cool idea too!

Tik-Tok
02-05-2013, 10:48 PM
Spikers mom: "Sooo, not only was I not invited to your wedding, buuuut you held it in front of a bunch of people you met online?"

spikerS
02-06-2013, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Spikers mom: "Sooo, not only was I not invited to your wedding, buuuut you held it in front of a bunch of people you met online?"

If only you understood how accurate that statement is...

nickyh
02-06-2013, 08:49 AM
Parents need to realize the day is not about them, it's the two people getting hitched and how they want to do it.

If your current relationship with them is good, they will get over it. If it sucks now, then there is nothing you can do that will ever be good enough in their eyes.

CompletelyNumb
02-06-2013, 08:51 AM
Elope. Family always gets over it. Its your day anyways.

JRSC00LUDE
02-06-2013, 08:52 AM
Whatever you do, you better do it quick before all that Boddington's goes to his hips.

spikerS
02-06-2013, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Whatever you do, you better do it quick before all that Boddington's goes to his hips.

Jealous?

sputnik
02-06-2013, 08:53 AM
If I was to do it over again I wouldn't necessarily elope, but I would invite 20 people out to dinner in private room of a restaurant and get married just before dinner was served.

That way it is quick and simple and you can invite the few family members that might get grumpy about the fact that you eloped.

KRyn
02-06-2013, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
If I was to do it over again I wouldn't necessarily elope, but I would invite 20 people out to dinner in private room of a restaurant and get married just before dinner was served.

That way it is quick and simple and you can invite the few family members that might get grumpy about the fact that you eloped.

I like the cut of your jib. Unfortunately my current significant other has delusions of grandeur. It's such a waste of cash to have a huge wedding if you have to pay for it your self. Why don't women still come with dowry's!?!?
:D

Ntense_SpecV
02-06-2013, 09:12 AM
When my wife and I were getting serious about the wedding planning we really wanted a destination wedding. My parents, her parents and us all sat down and took a vote on if we wanted to do the destination wedding. Before we actually voted I got the speech from my mother-in-law about how not everyone you want will be able to attend and that it's not just about "us two", and that we represent "The Families", and that it's an obligation to the rest of our extended family. The vote was 4-2 on doing a destination wedding....

We had a church wedding and reception here in town. Even though we wanted to do what we wanted to do, in the end, I weighed the pro's and con's of doing a wedding here vs. a destination wedding...the pro's won out that day. I still partially regret not doing what we wanted to do and saying screw everyone else. I mean I loved our wedding and our day and everyone seemed to have a great time, but if I could do it all over again I say do whatever it is you want to do.

sputnik
02-06-2013, 09:17 AM
Destination weddings are annoying. Spend $4000-5000 and burn a week of vacation to spend a week with wedding guests you don't necessarily like at a resort you didn't choose.

No thanks.

My wife and I were invited to one recently and felt the pressure to go. Luckily she got pregnant so we couldn't attend. The "brand new resort" the couple chose ended up being and old resort with a new name and new paint. Many were pretty disappointed after.

baygirl
02-06-2013, 09:19 AM
Check this one out:
http://lasvegasweddingwagon.com/
$129 includes souvenir t-shirts :rofl:

Think of the watches you could buy with the money we would save Spikers....

Seth1968
02-06-2013, 09:20 AM
What the hell is the point of getting married anyway? I don't see any advantages, but numerous disadvantages.

FraserB
02-06-2013, 09:21 AM
I second the idea of having it at a Beyond meet.

403Gemini
02-06-2013, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Seth1968
What the hell is the point of getting married anyway? I don't see any advantages, but numerous disadvantages.

Huge tax breaks, even beyond those from living common law (I believe).

JRSC00LUDE
02-06-2013, 09:24 AM

It's a "Should we elope or not?" thread, not a "Who is more/less jaded in their personal view of marriage?" thread.

:)

Big wedding parties are fun but, do what you want to do. You're the ones who have to be happy with the day.

baygirl
02-06-2013, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by FraserB
I second the idea of having it at a Beyond meet.
Fine, but only if it's the Super Meat:burnout:

Seth1968
02-06-2013, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

It's a "Should we elope or not?" thread, not a "Who is more/less jaded in their personal view of marriage?" thread.

:)

One of the options in the poll is, "Married? Oh hell no!". I was just defending my answer:)

JRSC00LUDE
02-06-2013, 09:42 AM
^

Duly noted! I'm glad I was polite for a change! :rofl:

ExtraSlow
02-06-2013, 09:44 AM

There are few legal differences between married and common-law in Canada. So there aren't many real downsides except the wedding itself.

Originally posted by 403Gemini

Huge tax breaks, even beyond those from living common law (I believe).
I don't think the tax breaks are significantly different for married vs common-law.

DENZILDON
02-06-2013, 10:18 AM

I'll come out for that!

Do what you guys want to do. If the parents wants a big wedding then they pay for it, if not then don't do it.

At the end of the day they are not going to disown you and if the in-laws did then that's awesome! :rofl:

spikerS
02-06-2013, 10:22 AM

I am not letting you edit that! :rofl:

Tik-Tok
02-06-2013, 10:28 AM
http://cdn3.hark.com/images/000/478/232/478232/original.jpg

BananaFob
02-06-2013, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
Destination weddings are annoying. Spend $4000-5000 and burn a week of vacation to spend a week with wedding guests you don't necessarily like at a resort you didn't choose.

No thanks.

+1

I thought about having a destination wedding as well but when you factor in the cost of flying in family etc, it's really not that much less than having one in town. Plus, it's a huge dick factor to have your good friends obligated to take time off, spend money and go on a vacation for a destination not of their own choosing.

kvg
02-06-2013, 10:48 AM
Just have a small small wedding to make momma happy then hop on a plane that night. You only get married twice right

skandalouz_08
02-06-2013, 11:08 AM
I know my parents and grandparents would hate it if I did that but it definitely would be a great way to save money. Have a big party when you get back if you want to party with people.

cancer man
02-10-2013, 06:52 AM
Do what you feel is right,in 30 years most of the people you know will be dead.
As long as your happy who cares.....