PDA

View Full Version : insurance question

Gorilla
02-06-2013, 08:36 AM
I have a car and truck. The truck is only used to throw out trash, and move stuff. Not even used weekly.

I have a car that I use daily to work etc etc. If I need to use my truck once in a while can I move my plates from my car to the truck and use it?

Is there some sort of insurance for weekend driving only?

lilmira
02-06-2013, 08:44 AM
Don't think you are supposed to use your plate like that. Will you get caught? You take your chance.

The rate for a secondary vehicle is definitely cheaper. I think it's somewhat based on usage, a vehicle which is going to travel 20k a year will have more risk than one with 5k.

spikerS
02-06-2013, 08:51 AM
You can not swap plates back and forth.

Each vehicle will require it's own plate, and thus own insurance. You can put something on it called recreational insurance which allows for 5000km a year usage iirc. I had that on my old truck as it was used for dump runs, furniture pick ups and pulling my trailer to a campsite, and it was relatively inexpensive.

ExtraSlow
02-06-2013, 08:51 AM
There's actually two questions here.
1) can I swap my registration (plate) back and forth on two vehicles? No, this is not permitted in Alberta. Separate plates for each are required.

2) do I need separate insurance for each vehicle? Yes, a separate policy is required on each vehicle, but it should be cheaper on the second one, talk to your insurance company or a broker. It've very cheap if you are the only driver in your household and you just get minimum liability on the truck.

Kramerica
02-06-2013, 09:14 AM
you can switch plates but it costs something like $25 at the registries each time you do it. When you factor in the time and hassle of going to the registries each time you're better off just getting a second plate.

Masked Bandit
02-06-2013, 09:20 AM
All answers are correct. There is no (legal) way to half-ass this OP.

403Gemini
02-06-2013, 09:45 AM
Nor would you want too. Cops at red lights sometimes run the plates around them. If your plate doesn't match the vehicle, you will get in a lot of shit.

Kloubek
02-06-2013, 09:53 AM
Yup. I did this once when giving a guy a test drive on a vehicle I no longer drove. It technically still had insurance, but when the cop saw the plate didn't match what we were driving we got pulled over.

I had no paperwork in the car either, which didn't help. The cop was an alright guy though, said that he understood we were test driving the car and gave me a no registration ticket.

If you're swapping the plates over without insuring the 2nd vehicle, you're going to likely get both the no registration ticket as well as a rather lofty no insurance ticket which is something like a 2 and a half grand fine.

Oh, and the ticket for no registration? Well the guy didn't even buy the Jeep I was selling - even though I went down on the price by 30% what I was asking, and he could find no fault in the truck whatsoever. Asshole.