PDA

View Full Version : Car Dealership ripoff?

dgmartinez
02-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Hey all, I have a question and a problem.

I went and bought my wife a 2012 Dodge grand Caravan off a lot on Friday.

I requested that an entertainment system be put in (DVD with touchscreen in dash with a drop down monitor for the back) It was in the manual for the vehicle. It is the same system that comes in the 2013 model with the backup camera and hard drive ports and touch screen.

I SPECIFICALLY told the salesman that this is what I wanted. I was told that it would be no problem. And the extra was going to be an additional 1500.00 (I have no problem with that)

My wife goes and picks up the van yesterday and finds that all they did was put a screen in the back, that cannot be controlled by the head unit, which they did NOT replace. And to be told that in order for someone to watch the screen, they either needed wireless headsets or the DVD was to be played through the FM radio transmitter to the vehicle stereo.

This is NOT what I asked for, and now after calling the salesmen yesterday and being told he would call me back either later in the afternoon or today....he is not working today, I called HIS manager, after going through the same thing with him, he tells me that he will find out and call me back within 10 minutes....2 hours later no call....so I call again, talk to other sales manager, he tells me that he will be calling me back within the hour, that was 2.5 hours ago. He also told me that they cannot replace the head unit with a factory system as it was not possible.

Now I know my manual lists 4 different systems for this vehicle (2 of which are either of the systems requested.) but he tells me that it can not be done.

My questions are

1: How can a FACTORY system not be put into a vehicle when the system is listed in the manual for that vehicle.

2: Am I screwed if he comes back and tells me to take a flying leap, do I have any recourse?

Thanks folks.
D

vtec4life
02-08-2013, 03:37 PM
I'm thinking the reason is that the van has to come from the FACTORY with the DVD system in headrest to get what you are looking for.

Just return what they installed if you don't like it or suck it up and live with it.

dgmartinez
02-08-2013, 03:41 PM
But the DVD screens do not go in the headrest, it is one drop down on the 2013 that I have seen.

I guess it is just a matter of taking the screwing because there is no help for the consumerist

Sorry when I meant the head end, I meant the actual unit that goes in the dash.

Redlyne_mr2
02-08-2013, 03:50 PM
Why didn't your wife say anything prior to signing the paperwork and solidifying the deal? The dealer may have felt that they were doing they're best to help you get what you were after but it seems like there was miscommunication on both ends.

A factory system can almost never be installed by a dealer, hence the verbage "factory option".

If you're signed and driven the vehicle there probably isn't much that can be done. Do you recall if you clearly asked for a specific dvd system? Do you recall if there was a discussion about it being a factory installed option?

I hate to say it but at this point there isn't much that can be done. If it's any consolation $1500 installed is a good price for that type of system.

dgmartinez
02-08-2013, 04:08 PM
Well, what do you know, complain and call the right people and all goes well.

They offered to refund me the cost of the unit and let me keep it. All is good I guess. Not what I wanted but good on them for following through on customer service.

Redlyne_mr2
02-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by dgmartinez

They offered to refund me the cost of the unit and let me keep it. All is good I guess. Not what I wanted but good on them for following through on customer service.

:thumbsup: thats a class move on the dealers part, what dealer?

rage2
02-08-2013, 04:21 PM
I'm guessing this is due to the salesman not having a clue. The factory units are optioned out at the time of ordering and installed at the factory during the build. It's pretty much impossible to retrofit at the dealer level because of the headrests, headliner, and wiring differences.

They did the right thing by giving you that setup for free, can't really ask for much because it'd be impossible.

ExtraSlow
02-08-2013, 04:27 PM
On a slightly related note, why do people continue to believe salesmen who offer to "add" things to a vehicle. If you want something added, just take it to a reputable aftermarket shop and be done with it. Trying to roll this into the initial purchase deal is madness, and almost garantees pain later.

dj_rice
02-08-2013, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by rage2
I'm guessing this is due to the salesman not having a clue. The factory units are optioned out at the time of ordering and installed at the factory during the build. It's pretty much impossible to retrofit at the dealer level because of the headrests, headliner, and wiring differences.

They did the right thing by giving you that setup for free, can't really ask for much because it'd be impossible.

This is true. Most people don't realize that its better if you bought an optioned out model that for example came with DVD/Navigation vs buying the low end model and trying to get it installed after.

The costs on the parts is insane. Depending on models, its usually upwards of $3000-5000 just for OEM factory parts alone and not even including the labour for install. I work in Parts and the customers usually get scared off at that point.

Xtrema
02-08-2013, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by dgmartinez

Not a bad ending at all.

But you should know that you are buying a 2012 model. They have not made those for almost 6 months. So what's left on lot and the configuration are as is. I assume there are a bit of miscommunication from saleman's part eager to clear the 2012 model. Otherwise, they would have tell you to buy a 2013.

Masked Bandit
02-08-2013, 04:59 PM
What dealership was this? Hearing about a Dodge shop that came through for the customer is rare.

dgmartinez
02-08-2013, 05:24 PM
So, the dealership was in Airdrie (Airdrie Chrysler to be exact). And yes kudos to them for helping me placate the wife...lol

I think the mis-communication as well as lack of knowledge on his part was the biggest factors.

The fact that they came back and offered what they did tells me they are looking out for the consumer, at least with my issue.

so thumbs up to them.

bart
02-08-2013, 05:29 PM
cars are usually prewired with different harnesses, can-bus and all

someone swapped the transmission on the tt from a manual to an stronic and they had to replace the ENTIRE harness for the whole car, there were differences even down to the wires going to the headlights just because it was a different transmission!

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad115/mattclose13/fc10152837a5af750584360476ec986a.jpg

dgmartinez
02-08-2013, 05:33 PM
Holy CRAP!!!!

Not a line of work I want to get into....lol

Cos
02-08-2013, 07:08 PM

Rat Fink
02-08-2013, 07:08 PM

bignerd
02-08-2013, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
On a slightly related note, why do people continue to believe salesmen who offer to "add" things to a vehicle. If you want something added, just take it to a reputable aftermarket shop and be done with it. Trying to roll this into the initial purchase deal is madness, and almost garantees pain later.

Same reason people take delivery of a car that was not what they requested or had damage or....

Maxt
02-09-2013, 06:35 AM
http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php/24125-Adding-OEM-Dual-screen-VES-DVD-entertainment-system-to-my-08-T-amp-C-Loads-of-PICTURES

Not that much cash, but a ton of work...

toastgremlin
02-09-2013, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by bart
cars are usually prewired with different harnesses, can-bus and all

someone swapped the transmission on the tt from a manual to an stronic and they had to replace the ENTIRE harness for the whole car, there were differences even down to the wires going to the headlights just because it was a different transmission! All that was still easier than learning to drive stick? :rofl:

bart
02-09-2013, 04:19 PM
someone is building a race car and dsg is king

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad115/mattclose13/8929e1ef083d6c7196aaf969e5b18402.jpg