PDA

View Full Version : Herman Miller chairs

Markll7
02-09-2013, 11:15 PM
My tailbone and spine are pretty much ground into dust so I'm willing to shell out a bit of money to get a good ergonomic chair. The go to choice is the Herman Miller Aeron but I've also been told that the Embody is quite excellent as well.

Does anyone have either of these chairs ? How well does the fabric on the Embody hold up over time compared to the plastic mesh of the Aeron ?

black_2.5RS
02-09-2013, 11:32 PM
I have the aeron as my office chair and it is outstanding. I've never tried the embody but ive had the same chair for 9 yrs and it still looks and works like new. You can't go wrong with this chair.

Lex350
02-09-2013, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by black_2.5RS
I have the aeron as my office chair and it is outstanding. I've never tried the embody but i've had the same chair for 9 yrs and it still looks and works like new. You can't go wrong with this chair.

The Aeron chair was introduced in 1994. While it is a cool looking chair, there are so many other chairs out there that surpass it in ergonomics.

One feature you should look for is a seat slider.

Go to some of the dealerships in town and try some other chairs out. Some of the ones you might want to try:

Leap - Steelcase
Zody = Haworth
Acuity - Allsteel
Freedom - Human scale

Mitsu3000gt
02-09-2013, 11:50 PM
^^^ Do all those chairs have the 100% mesh construction like the HM? It doesn't look like it based on a google images search. That is the #1 selling point for me because I am boiling hot at all times.

I work in the Aeron all day and it's awesome, and I want one for home too, but if there are cheaper alternatives I'm down for that.

Also some oil companies or wherever you work will sell you a chair at their volume-discount cost.

Lex350
02-11-2013, 08:52 AM
You don't need a mesh seat to have a cool butt. The technology in the seats have come a long way. Actually the heat you feel it triggered more by presure points in the seat than it is the foam construction. Not sure how tall you are but if you have long legs a seat slider is a must so you don't have that pinch point behind the back of your knee.

FixedGear
02-11-2013, 12:11 PM
anyone tried the Embody? herman miller's new flagship office chair.

Mitsu3000gt
02-11-2013, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by rotten42
You don't need a mesh seat to have a cool butt. The technology in the seats have come a long way. Actually the heat you feel it triggered more by presure points in the seat than it is the foam construction. Not sure how tall you are but if you have long legs a seat slider is a must so you don't have that pinch point behind the back of your knee.

Interesting, I did not know that.

I'm only 5'10" so not super tall.

I like the bouncy/elastic/suspended feel to the Aeron seat, I think because it's not a cushion. Do any cheaper chairs have that?

I was looking and a mid-range Aeron appears to be around $850.

darthVWader
02-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Look at the Mirra by HM as well. Lower price point and a pretty solid chair.

I sit in a Leap now and I won't give it up but I know the 5% of my office that sit in Aerons won't switch to the Leaps. I've sat in Aerons and I'm not a fan but I really did like my Mirra for the time I had it.

sputnik
02-11-2013, 12:36 PM
I hated the Leap when I was working for a company that solely used them.

Much preferred the Aeron that I had for the 5 years prior. You also have to get the right size Aeron. Smaller guys need an A size where bigger guys need a C. Unfortunately most offices just buy a ton of Bs and call it a day.

LOLzilla
02-11-2013, 03:11 PM
Is there a show room to try these out anywhere in Calgary?

J@Tuner
02-11-2013, 03:29 PM
http://www.contemporary.ab.ca/ is where we got ours from, in stock, great service, lots to sit in and try out.

Lex350
02-11-2013, 03:41 PM
See that is the whole point....for some people an Aeron is nice but for others it doesn't sit well. I used to be the design director at Contemporary Office interiors and I can tell you that a chair is really a personal thing. Some people love the Mirra and others hated it. I couldn't stand the look or feel of the Embody chair. Huge price on that thing too.

To find the best chair, go sit in them and test them out. Use the adjustments. Don't go entirely on look like most people do.

A, B and C sizes...that is a draw back for the Aeron. It is due to no seat slider and different sizes for the seat pan and back. The lift is the same unless you tick the option for an extendeed gas lift.

LOLzilla
02-11-2013, 03:57 PM
Thanks J :thumbsup:

You've got impressive knowledge on this subject rotten. Anything else a 1st timer should know about shopping for chairs?

Lex350
02-11-2013, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by LOLzilla
Thanks J :thumbsup:

You've got impressive knowledge on this subject rotten. Anything else a 1st timer should know about shopping for chairs?

Depends. COI will always have Aerons in stock because 98% get sold in the exact same finish and usually only two different options levels. If you are looking at other chairs, most dealerships stock some but order depending on finishes. Average for delivery on a chair is 3-4 weeks if not in stock.

Pacman
02-11-2013, 04:13 PM
I've had back issues in the past ( had 3 lower back surgeries) and sit in my office chair roughly 3 hours each evening. If I sit in an uncomfortable chair for more than 45 mins, I find it causes problems with irritated nerves and tight muscles which can take weeks to for the symptoms to away.

I tried a Herman Miller Aeron chair and it didn't work for me. I found my back would ache after sitting in it for a few hours. I do have friends that swear by them, but it just didn't work for me.

I have a Steelcase Leap that I have used for many years and find that one works well for me.

I also have one of these:

http://www.performancefurnishings.com/iform-high-back

It was around $400 and I find it's more comfortable than my Steelcase. It's got a mesh/cloth type fabric similar to the Aeron, but not as high quality. I've been using it for 2 years and no problems so far. I bought it from an office store in the NW just off 32nd, but I forget what it's called.

googe
02-11-2013, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
^^^ Do all those chairs have the 100% mesh construction like the HM? It doesn't look like it based on a google images search. That is the #1 selling point for me because I am boiling hot at all times.

I work in the Aeron all day and it's awesome, and I want one for home too, but if there are cheaper alternatives I'm down for that.

Also some oil companies or wherever you work will sell you a chair at their volume-discount cost.

The mesh sold me too. I had an Aeron at work for a long time and thought it was "ok", but was never able to find a chair for home that didn't make me sore and wasn't too hot. So I ended up buying an Aeron after going through a few cheaper ones.

Markll7
02-13-2013, 03:56 AM
Rotten - How does the fabric hold up on the Embody chair after long term use ? And is there ever a sale on them ? I tested one yesterday and it was fantastic, literally felt like it wasn't there.. just a support if you will but I'm just super super worried about fart stains on that beautiful fabric.

Zorac
02-13-2013, 08:14 AM
i have an Aeron and love it. best chair ive had.

Lex350
02-13-2013, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Markll7
Rotten - How does the fabric hold up on the Embody chair after long term use ? And is there ever a sale on them ? I tested one yesterday and it was fantastic, literally felt like it wasn't there.. just a support if you will but I'm just super super worried about fart stains on that beautiful fabric.

All fabrics are rated are on a "double-rub" scale for wear. For that chair they aren' t going to even offer anything down around the 30,000 mark like you would find on a cheap Global chair from Staples. You should be fine with any one of their standard fabrics. Doubt you will ever see a sale on them. If you are worried about stains, go to a leather or ask for "Brisa". It is a synthetic leather that "breathes" so it stays at room temperature like good leather does.

Lex350
02-13-2013, 09:43 AM
I sit at a Leap at work now. I'm getting used to it. Not a bad chair. I used to sit on an Aeron at home but I replaced it with an Acuity chair from Allsteel. For me it is a more comfortable chair that I can sit in when I'm spending long hours rendering. I actually had two Aerons but one had a broken lift. I sold that one for $50 to a guy on CP and he got a new lift for $160. The other one is my garage chair now.