PDA

View Full Version : Review: Guacho VS Bolero

spikerS
02-10-2013, 02:29 AM
Gaucho
5920 Macleod tr sw

Bolero
6920Macleod tr s

Both of these Restaurants offer an all you can eat meat deal, both Brazilian in nature. I decided to write this review based on a few select categories, and what stood out between the two.

Service: Edge to Gaucho
Service at both was very good. Staff at both were polite and friendly, offering timely advice. Things that gave Goucho the win: At Bolero, the meats took their sweet time in coming more often than not, and at times, our waitress ended up helping the serving staff serve the meat, thus taking her away from her tables. The cuts from the servers varied wildly between Baygirl's and my plates. Some were nice trim pieces on my plate, while it looked like they used a salad tong to rip off another for Baygirl and vica versa. When the servers were also not trying to look down Baygirls shirt, they seemed very abrupt, and rushed. Gaucho was more relaxed, the servers were very consistent with their cuts, the different meats came out at a steady pace, our waitress did plenty of table touches without being over bearing.

Decor: Edge to Bolero
Bolero was wide and spacious, nice tones throughout and a nice ambiance. I felt like it was lacking in lighting thought. It felt really dark, but to each their own, Baygirl really liked it. At Goucho, the tables were a little tight together, it felt like if we moved at all, we would be disturbing the people sitting around us.

Food: Edge to Goucho
While both places served very similar dishes, we just found that the food tasted better, was presented better, and seemed better quality at Goucho. While it was nice to see nice smoke rings on the food at Bolero, Goucho seasoned their meats to perfection, with tastes that were vivid in your mouth, whereas at Bolero, it was more bland and in many cases charred too much. The salad bars were both pretty much the same, Goucho has an amazing chicken (I think) stroganoff in a red sauce that is simply awesome! Bolero must be catering to some vegans as well as the grilled veggies and pineapple and buns came around quite a bit.

Goucho
Service:4/5
Ambiance: 3/5
Food:4.5/5
Total:11.5points

Bolero
Service: 3/5
Ambiance: 4/5
Food: 3.5/5
Total: 10.5

difference in price between the 2 is that at Bolero, the meal is $3 more per person for dinner.

EK69
02-10-2013, 02:33 AM
That grilled pineapple at bolero :drool:

dj_rice
02-10-2013, 02:40 AM
Good review.

We only have one choice when it comes to Brazillian Steakhouse in Edmonton called Pampa's. Never been there myself yet but even some people recommend driving all the way to Calgary and trying out Bolero/Gaucho instead. I believe Pampa's is a set menu at $45/person. They were also featured on a Food Network TV show.

Heru-Farukon
02-10-2013, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by EK69
That grilled pineapple at bolero :drool:

+1

ExtraSlow
02-10-2013, 09:46 AM
For what it's worth, the only brazillian guy I know claims Gaucho is more authentic.

FixedGear
02-10-2013, 09:58 AM
I've never been to bolero, but I've been to gaucho a few times. Not my thing. Salt overload, and all of the meats taste the same (and its not that great, either). I end up getting tiring of the meat pretty quick, and it seems really expensive for what I actually end up eating.

TrU-PaK
02-10-2013, 12:28 PM
The pineapple at Bolero alone makes it better then Gaucho IMO
Otherwise relatively similar food wise.

black13
02-10-2013, 12:42 PM
Been to Guacho a few times now. Good service and tasty food. It's basically a buffet except you sit at the table and wait for the skewers of different meat (chicken breasts/chicken heart/all kinds of beef) to be brought to the table.

Great if your really hungry as it is $45 per person. But that's what you gotta pay for the uniqueness of it in Calgary.

YuZai
02-10-2013, 12:52 PM
Gaucho all the way. The last few times I've been to Bolero the meat has been quite bland. You can request for the grilled pineapple at Gaucho (:

Disoblige
02-10-2013, 01:11 PM
Gaucho is terrible. FixedGear is on the money. Oversalted, everything tastes the same, buffet bar sucks. Bolero is so much better.

TrU-PaK
02-10-2013, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by YuZai
Gaucho all the way. The last few times I've been to Bolero the meat has been quite bland. You can request for the grilled pineapple at Gaucho (:

We went with a group of 6 and requested pineapple but they said they do not have any. Our waiter was horrible that day as well so who knows.....nonetheless they are both worth trying out at some point.

Feruk
02-28-2013, 05:27 PM
Going to a Brazillian restaurant and expecting the meat to NOT be oversalted is like going to a sushi place expecting no soy sauce. Just about all the meat I had in Brazil was oversalted.

clem24
04-11-2013, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Feruk
Going to a Brazillian restaurant and expecting the meat to NOT be oversalted is like going to a sushi place expecting no soy sauce. Just about all the meat I had in Brazil was oversalted.

Hahaha bad analogy.. You can easily have sushi with no soy sauce. More like.. Going to Chinese restaurant and expecting no MSG and grease.

Personally I like Bolero due to their selection. They have more/varied meats/cuts and occasionally they have fish (like swordfish). That's a win in my books. The other thing I didn't like about Gaucho was how small and cramped it is in there.

R-Audi
04-11-2013, 02:01 PM
In my opinion Id much rather go to a place like Caesers/wherever steakhouse and be guaranteed one really good steak instead of a barrage of miscellaneous meats, some which I like, some which I dont that are rarely cooked exactly how I want them. If I pay $40+ for a meal it better be good. (Neither had a salad bar that was really worth the money and only filler.. so its basically a $40 main course)

clem24
04-11-2013, 03:15 PM
^^^ agreed but it's fun and different. I personally love their meat, and you can always ask for a rarer piece. Also, when they come out, they're usually fresh and pipping hot, whereas a steak is only piping hot the first minute and then gets cold pretty quick.

cancer man
04-28-2015, 06:34 AM
Bump
Went to gauchos for Sunday Lunch 23 bucks a head cannot complain.
It was full of people and i did not feel cramped at all.
The service was amazing. Only thing i didn't like was the chicken heart and the beets.
Foodie groupies give it a try for Sunday lunch.I'll be in again.

D'z Nutz
04-28-2015, 07:26 AM
A new place down by Eau Claire opened up earlier this year, which adds another option. I haven't tried it myself yet but I stopped in to have a look at their menu since I live near by. They even have brunch specials on the weekend.

http://minassteakhouse.com/

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/15/1936650/restaurant/Eau-Claire/Minas-Brazilian-Steakhouse-Calgary

turbotrip
04-28-2015, 08:41 AM
Pampa's is quite a bit better than bolero/gaucho, but the price is getting up there. For the price of pampa's I'd rather go somewhere else

mr2mike
04-28-2015, 12:09 PM
Any newbies going, don't get sucked in by the salad bar.

killramos
04-28-2015, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Any newbies going, don't get sucked in by the salad bar.

But hearts of palm and kale salad :drool:

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
A new place down by Eau Claire opened up earlier this year, which adds another option. I haven't tried it myself yet but I stopped in to have a look at their menu since I live near by. They even have brunch specials on the weekend.

Beyond lunch meet to try it out?

:drool:

cyra1ax
05-16-2015, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/15/1936650/restaurant/Eau-Claire/Minas-Brazilian-Steakhouse-Calgary

Was here for lunch about a month ago with seven other buddies from work. For background, I've only been to Bolero's. I wasn't all too impressed with the place, all of the meats were really small pieces on the skewers which resulted in having to ask for more than one slice each time. Variety wasn't that great either, I think there were only five different types of skewers going around, three of which came more often than the others.

Taste wise the Bacon wrapped Pork tenderloin was the best thing there, that was really, really good. I thought that they didn't really have that good of a handle on their seasoning, occasionally there were certain skewers which were very well seasoned while more frequently there were meats which were very bland in flavor. They had a salad bar and an appetizer/side dish bar, however both were on the small side. Decor was nice in my opinion, but I've also never been to Brazil.

Between the two, I prefer Boleros due to there being more variety and that grilled pineapple. :drool: That being said, Minas is not a bad choice if you're in the DT area.

BDenali
05-17-2015, 07:15 AM
My wife is Brazilian so we eat at Brazilian Steak houses quite often on special occasions. By a long shot our choice is Gaucho. Bolero isn't even owned by Brazilians and they don't have farofa (which is an essential accompaniment to Brazilian BBQ). I have been to Brazil twice and Gaucho is far more authentic.

Two more Brazilian BBQ spots recently opened Calgary, Minas and Pampa's. Both are really good. Pampa's is a little on the pricy side @ $55 I think, while Minas is a bit more affordable @ $42. Out of all the B-BBQ restaurants in Calgary now we still choose Gaucho over all of them. Bolero is by far last on the list.

schocker
06-04-2015, 03:17 PM
I tried Gaucho last night as I was nearby. It was pretty amazing. Still kind of in meatcoma today, wasn't able to eat breakfast or lunch. Meat was all very tasty, the sides/salad bar had very neat options and overall a great experience. I can't go back for a while though after all that food. :rofl:

ercchry
06-04-2015, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by schocker
I tried Gaucho last night as I was nearby. It was pretty amazing. Still kind of in meatcoma today, wasn't able to eat breakfast or lunch. Meat was all very tasty, the sides/salad bar had very neat options and overall a great experience. I can't go back for a while though after all that food. :rofl:

went a little while ago too after not being there for a while... that lamb and the horseradish steak... :drool:

and i dont even like horseradish!

schocker
06-04-2015, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
went a little while ago too after not being there for a while... that lamb and the horseradish steak... :drool:

and i dont even like horseradish!
They had the lamb last night but not the horseradish steak as that sounds really good. Lots of selection though. I really liked the Parmigiano Beef and beef brisket though.

killramos
06-04-2015, 04:59 PM
The horseradish is a new item and fantastic. I ate at least 4 oz of it last time I was in.

TomcoPDR
03-20-2017, 10:16 PM
I'd vote for Bolero as well. Both have their pros/cons, but if you had to pick for your consumer dollars $$$

Guacho now has pineapple as well, however not as good as Bolero's, it's just not as well (deep) flamed.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/Past%20repairs/Random/IMG_3841_zps7key4jfi.jpg~original

Guacho even has BBQ pear and bananas

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/Past%20repairs/Random/IMG_3842_zpsggvofofq.jpg~original

Service at Guacho is way more personalized and authentic and warmer feeling. Bolero is more Keg, Moxie's type of service (still good service at Bolero)

I like the salad bar at Bolero's better, bigger selection. Was looking forward to Guacho's smoked salmon at the salad bar, but none to be had today :(

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/Past%20repairs/Random/IMG_3835_zpsx1pquzdd.jpg~original

The one thing I couldn't do today at Guacho's was the beef sausage.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/Past%20repairs/Random/IMG_3837_zpsz4hbdctv.jpg~original

tcon
03-21-2017, 12:46 AM
Bolero for brunch is hands down the best bang for buck. I found Mina's quality to be a little higher than bolero. Guacho is on par with bolero but less selection.

ExtraSlow
03-21-2017, 10:13 AM
A+ tomco review.

Dumbass17
03-21-2017, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by YuZai

Off topic, but who in their right mind puts a smiley face facing that way?!?

Eyes first. Always :nut:

Disoblige
03-21-2017, 11:57 AM
I miss the garlic bread at Boleros. It's been gone for a long time now.
Dunno why they stopped it.

dj_rice
03-21-2017, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
A+ tomco review.

I like the new angle of one of the pics :poosie: :drool:

TomcoPDR
03-21-2017, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

I like the new angle of one of the pics :poosie: :drool:

POV point of view of the food

Kloubek
04-17-2017, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by turbotrip
Pampa's is quite a bit better than bolero/gaucho, but the price is getting up there. For the price of pampa's I'd rather go somewhere else

We just went for my Birthday on Friday.

The ambience was nicer, and the staff were very friendly.

I do not, however, believe the food was better. I've never been to Bolero, but I liked the meats and sides more at Gaucho. For those who prefer a less salty experience with the meat, this might be the better place to go. Personally, I really enjoy the salt with this style of cooking.

Xtrema
04-17-2017, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek

We just went for my Birthday on Friday.

The ambience was nicer, and the staff were very friendly.

I do not, however, believe the food was better. I've never been to Bolero, but I liked the meats and sides more at Gaucho. For those who prefer a less salty experience with the meat, this might be the better place to go. Personally, I really enjoy the salt with this style of cooking.

While my experience on all 3 are about a year apart, Gaucho is still the best of the 3 when it comes to food quality.

Pampas is great because food is still better than Bolero and they were giving out 2 for 1 lunch or 25% off coupons like mad a few months back. So it was great bang for bucks.