PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter crashes during Top Gear episode

black13
02-11-2013, 02:06 AM
6EsoWpTO2qg

Top Gear Korean version that is! Looks like every country is getting their own version of Top Gear except Canada.

Corvette ZR1 was up agains a AH1 Cobra helicopter. :eek:

And for once I beat trev.

Mibz
02-11-2013, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by black13
And for once I beat trev. Wouldn't be so sure, that's old as hell.

EDIT: Nope, you're right, haha!

Tik-Tok
02-11-2013, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
Wouldn't be so sure, that's old as hell.

Pretty sure this just happened.

botox
02-11-2013, 08:25 AM
That was a expensive race! They should put paint ball guns on the chopper and see how many times it could hit the car haha.

avishal26
02-11-2013, 08:26 AM
crazy....

rage2
02-11-2013, 08:36 AM
I guess asians can't fly either.

botox
02-11-2013, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by rage2
I guess asians can't fly either.
The pilot is a bearded white man!!

Tik-Tok
02-11-2013, 08:56 AM
The pilot looks like the guy from Fire Birds :rofl:

lyuULnLsc4w

Maxx Mazda
02-11-2013, 08:56 AM
Shitty deal!

Mibz
02-11-2013, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Pretty sure this just happened. March 2012

http://jalopnik.com/5890544/watch-a-helicopter-crash-during-top-gear-shoot

black13
02-11-2013, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
March 2012

http://jalopnik.com/5890544/watch-a-helicopter-crash-during-top-gear-shoot
Damn I saw the video get uploaded yesterday so I thought its new. Guess not. Think that's when they actually shot the challenge and only recently they aired the actual episode maybe.

Mibz
02-11-2013, 11:50 AM
It's all good, clearly a lot of people didn't see it the first time around and it's cool as hell, haha.

revelations
02-11-2013, 12:19 PM
Nice, hot dogged it into the dirt.

Looked survivable though, bet pilot's done flying now.

Perfect Dark
02-11-2013, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by revelations
Nice, hot dogged it into the dirt.

Looked survivable though, bet pilot's done flying now.

Engine failure...not really his fault.

clem24
02-11-2013, 04:14 PM
Wow didn't even know there was a Top Gear Korea.

I would've imagined it'd be a whole lotta Kim's testing out the latest Hyundai's...

Tik-Tok
02-11-2013, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Perfect Dark

Engine failure...not really his fault.

That's like saying if you do a 5 minute burnout at 9000 RPM's, it's not your fault when the engine explodes lol. He over stressed the engine to the point of failure.

revelations
02-11-2013, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

That's like saying if you do a 5 minute burnout at 9000 RPM's, it's not your fault when the engine explodes lol. He over stressed the engine to the point of failure.

You cant really overstress an engine in a helicopter the same way as in a car - the turbine engine(s) spin at a constant speed so thats not an issue - however the gearbox is the part that is the most delicate and prone to self-destruction after heavy collective inputs.

Didnt know the prob was an engine out ---- in that case the pilot made a good recovery. :rofl:

Ven
02-11-2013, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by clem24
Wow didn't even know there was a Top Gear Korea.

I would've imagined it'd be a whole lotta Kim's testing out the latest Hyundai's...

lol

sillysod
02-14-2013, 03:19 PM
I think Tik-Tok knows a thing or two about turbines :D

Pretty retarded "race" though going against a helicopter that only goes 227km/h.

clem24
02-14-2013, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by revelations

You cant really overstress an engine in a helicopter the same way as in a car - the turbine engine(s) spin at a constant speed so thats not an issue - however the gearbox is the part that is the most delicate and prone to self-destruction after heavy collective inputs.

I think you have it wrong. From what I understand, in collective pitch, the rotors spin at a constant speed but the angle of the rotors cause the helicopter to move in different directions. The engine still needs to vary itself to respond to the torque load requirements of the blades. This will change depending on how much resistance is coming from the blades as a result of what the heli is doing (i.e. gaining altitude puts more stress on the blades so the engine has to respond to keep the blades moving at a steady speed otherwise the increased load would just slow it down). So yes I assume you can overstress the engine.

I think you're mixing up steady rotor speed with engine speed.

revelations
02-14-2013, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by clem24

I think you have it wrong. From what I understand, in collective pitch, the rotors spin at a constant speed but the angle of the rotors cause the helicopter to move in different directions. The engine still needs to vary itself to respond to the torque load requirements of the blades. This will change depending on how much resistance is coming from the blades as a result of what the heli is doing (i.e. gaining altitude puts more stress on the blades so the engine has to respond to keep the blades moving at a steady speed otherwise the increased load would just slow it down). So yes I assume you can overstress the engine.

I think you're mixing up steady rotor speed with engine speed.

Sorry, I should clarify.

In many ships, the N1, or the compressor, will spin at its own speed - independent of the power turbine - or N2.

The N1 can overspeed in certain situations causing damage (bad FCU, hot and heavy departure, etc.) but the N2 is tied to the gearbox and thus to the blades.

So while its possible to overspeed the compressor, the chances are that a pilot QUICKLY yanks on the collective too hard and overstresses the gearbox before engine damage has a chance to occur.

lilmira
02-14-2013, 04:26 PM
He entered the jetwash thus stalling the engine resulting in a flat spin. Poor mama goose.