PDA

View Full Version : Chip Credit Cards Don't Last Long?

Mixalot27
02-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Has anyone else been having problems with their chip credit and debit cards not lasting very long?

I'm probably having to replace my cards at least every 6 months or so. It seems the chip eventually gets scratched up enough from putting into machines that after a while it can longer be read.

So far I have only used RBC cards. Is this a normal thing with all chip cards?

Its kind of annoying having to constantly be getting new cards. Prior to the chip I had a debit card that lasted 12 years and my credit card almost always lasted the full expiry period.

Mitsu3000gt
02-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Mine have all lasted 1-2 years, until they get stolen and misused by Calgary Taxi companies, then I get a new one. Happened to my last 4 cards.

My debit card has a chip though and is probably 4-5 years old.

DeleriousZ
I've had my original chip debit card since it was released to replace my regular non-chip card. I use it on a daily basis and have not had any issues with it ever.

I'm pretty gentle when it comes to putting the chip cards into the machines, I imagine you could damage them quickly if you just ram em in there.

FixedGear
I didn't notice this with my RBC chip cards, they worked just fine for as long as I had them (until I moved to the US). IIRC I had them for a number of years, not problems at all.

Tik-Tok
02-11-2013, 11:45 AM
Haven't had any problems with my chip cards. Maybe it's the machine at one place you frequent?

msommers
02-11-2013, 11:47 AM
Yeah had a mastercard replaced after 2 months of light-moderate useage. Have a visa that has lasted well over a year after heavy useage. Super annoying when your chip goes.

Mixalot27
02-11-2013, 11:53 AM
Interesting responses. I mostly use it at Walmart and Superstore. When looking at the card, the chip is visibly worn after a while. Then the machines just can't read it anymore. I'm on my 3rd card in the last year. I don't know if I'm just unlucky or what.

Mibz
02-11-2013, 11:55 AM
I had to replace my BMO debit card twice in a year but have had this one for over a year now. My Mastercard expired before it needed replacing.

Lex350
02-11-2013, 11:57 AM
No problems with my visa but my RB debit card has been replaced 2 times because the chip wore out.

roopi
02-11-2013, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Mine have all lasted 1-2 years, until they get stolen and misused by Calgary Taxi companies, then I get a new one. Happened to my last 4 cards.

How do Calgary taxi companies misuse your chip cards? How do they steal them? Sounds pretty odd.

Originally posted by Mixalot27
Interesting responses. I mostly use it at Walmart and Superstore. When looking at the card, the chip is visibly worn after a while. Then the machines just can't read it anymore. I'm on my 3rd card in the last year. I don't know if I'm just unlucky or what.

I've stopped using my chip cards are Walmart. Last 2 times I've been there they have stopped working. Most likely coincidence though.

Mitsu3000gt
02-11-2013, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by roopi

How do Calgary taxi companies misuse your chip cards? How do they steal them? Sounds pretty odd.

They say their CC machine is "broken", then they take an imprint of your card. If you don't have cash, you don't have many other options. Plus if I'm in a cab I'm usually drunk.

Another common scam is to say their CC/debit machine is "broken" after the ride, so you have to go take out cash.

msommers
02-11-2013, 01:14 PM
Sometimes their machines are broken. But I always ask before I get in if they take CCs. If the machine is broken when I get home, well it's their dime to take me to my bank and back home. Cost of doing business, imo.

roopi
02-11-2013, 01:15 PM

They say their CC machine is "broken", then they take an imprint of your card. If you don't have cash, you don't have many other options. Plus if I'm in a cab I'm usually drunk.

Another common scam is to say their CC/debit machine is "broken" after the ride, so you have to go take out cash.

Interesting. I've never had this issue when using a CC in a taxi. I did always try and avoid the imprint before they had machines in the cars and pay cash.

roopi
02-11-2013, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Sometimes their machines are broken. But I always ask before I get in if they take CCs. If the machine is broken when I get home, well it's their dime to take me to my bank and back home. Cost of doing business, imo.

Do they actually agree to this?

Xtrema
02-11-2013, 01:25 PM
PC Mastercard - 1 year in, there are some scratches and wears but no problem.

But whenever possible, I tap instead of chip and pin.

Hallowed_point
02-11-2013, 01:30 PM

Yeah, I've had quite a few of them pull that one (the ohhh no sir my debit machine isn't working I will take you to atm) on me. I'm glad I don't take cabs often anymore.

I've gone through 3 TD bank chip cards, they really don't seem to last very long!

hampstor
02-11-2013, 01:56 PM
My credit card with the NFC /"tap" lasted only a few months before that stopped working. Then the chip went about a month later and I was back to swiping my card everywhere. Thought it was just me.

ercchry
02-11-2013, 01:56 PM
bmo debt card lasts forever... bmo mastercard doesnt last more than a month... i gave up replacing it. its amazing how not secure the new chip system is since i can still use it for 90% of transactions :rofl:

Dalking
02-11-2013, 02:26 PM
I've had my TD Visa Debit for 6 months and it does not work. It worked fine, but I went up to NWT for work, and I think maybe the -45c killed it, because the tap to pay doesn't work and the chip gives me errors all the time

Mitsu3000gt
02-11-2013, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point

Yeah, I've had quite a few of them pull that one (the ohhh no sir my debit machine isn't working I will take you to atm) on me. I'm glad I don't take cabs often anymore.

I've gone through 3 TD bank chip cards, they really don't seem to last very long!

Good point, I forgot about that. Whenever they have to take you to an ATM, it's on your dime, and then they just pocket the cash because they told you their machine was "broken".

I hate cabs.

Also, the slowest moving thing in the entire world is a cab with a fare in it.

I've also heard they aren't allowed to leave dispatch or continue working if their machines are actually broken - I cannot confirm this though.

woodywoodford
02-11-2013, 03:37 PM
Would love for somebody to confirm the dispatch thing...

I won't take a cab if I don't have cash, but the problem then is I'm a very generous drunk anyway, so they get retarded tips - just round up to closest denomination bill, which usually means paying 20 bucks for a $13 ride

msommers
02-11-2013, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by roopi

Do they actually agree to this?

Yes. Because the other option is I don't pay (rather have nothing to pay with) and I tell them that. It usually leads to being more accommodating, plus by bank is just a few blocks away. If it wasn't, well it would get interesting.

Maxx Mazda
02-11-2013, 04:46 PM
Cabs scam the shit out of you.... Or at least try to. Whenever their machine is "broken" I just say that I only brought debit and they should pull over and let me out. All of a sudden they can "reset" it and its working. And there goes the tip.

BigShow
02-11-2013, 07:18 PM
Yes, my RBC cards go bad quickly...under a year on multiple cards.

ZenOps
02-11-2013, 07:23 PM
My TD card has been through at least 500 inserts without a single issue.

Its scratched like you wouldn't believe, but still works. Paypass rocks though, tap and go.

thetransporter
02-12-2013, 01:58 AM
have been using my amex everywhere except where not accepted, doesnt have chip,

i did get a chip on the CIBC visa in 2008. but i went to burger king and the chip didnt worked so they had to manually enter it.

i did request bank of america to send me a travelers visa, no exchange rates, and has a chip. but chip takes more time.

is the tap and go safe?
http://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2010/05/31/f-rfid-credit-cards-security-concerns.html

ZenOps
02-12-2013, 06:15 AM
Paypass is probably not all that safe, but the risks are mitigated with maximum withdrawl limits of around $50 per day (small purchases only)

If concerned about personal information, I would have been more concerned about the SIN number that they print on paper and send by snail mail to everyones address at tax time - that is until about this year.

skandalouz_08
02-12-2013, 11:14 AM
I've only had problems with my chip card once and it was only on certain machines. Called my bank and they sent me a new one within a couple days and I paid in other ways at that place.

..*JDM Hatch*..
02-12-2013, 02:35 PM
Using BMO cards since the chip card came out. So far i have gone through roughly 7-8 cards in the last 2 years. finding the cards to be breaking more frequently. Chip on my credit cards have been great, no issues on that end.

thetransporter
02-12-2013, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by ZenOps
Paypass is probably not all that safe, but the risks are mitigated with maximum withdrawl limits of around $50 per day (small purchases only)

If concerned about personal information, I would have been more concerned about the SIN number that they print on paper and send by snail mail to everyones address at tax time - that is until about this year.

my SIn was leaked with BVC with their data leak, i provided it to them 13 year ago , but i will never provide it to anyone except for Tax stuff.