PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a subaru know it all to help me out.

Dalking
02-11-2013, 12:32 PM

Chester
02-11-2013, 12:59 PM
westernsubaruclub.com may be your best bet for finding help.

heavyfuel
02-11-2013, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Chester
westernsubaruclub.com may be your best bet for finding help.

Hahaha yup tons of know-it-alls on there that's for sure.

Dalking
02-11-2013, 01:26 PM
Lol, I meant a "know it all" who actually knows.

vengie
02-11-2013, 01:33 PM
Pm Rickdatuner

zipdoa
02-11-2013, 01:35 PM
I'm not a Subaru guy, but I was checking out a 1997 Legacy Wagon 5MT 2.5 GT-B with the EJ20R.

What are your thoughts on the legacy? Is it pretty quick? What other cars have you owned?

I'm looking for a quick cheap wagon, RHD doesn't bug me, so these legacy's are a pretty strong choice. I just don't know how reliable subaru's flat-4 engines are.

RickDaTuner
02-11-2013, 01:38 PM
Well I hate to break it to you man, but a knock sensor and oil pressure light along with engine rattle are indicative of worn main bearings.

Typically a used wrecker ej253 run about 1200 bucks, an ej22 run about 800 bucks and the swap in the right hands is fairly straight forward.

Try checking your oil for flecks of aluminum, and other metals.

A blown engine is not an absolute diagnosis but it sounds very probable.
Older Subarus develop piston slap and drive like that ages but they typically don't throw engine codes

Dalking
02-11-2013, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
Well I hate to break it to you man, but a knock sensor and oil pressure light along with engine rattle are indicative of worn main bearings.

Typically a used wrecker ej253 run about 1200 bucks, an ej22 run about 800 bucks and the swap in the right hands is fairly straight forward.

Try checking your oil for flecks of aluminum, and other metals.

A blown engine is not an absolute diagnosis but it sounds very probable.
Older Subarus develop piston slap and drive like that ages but they typically don't throw engine codes The rattle noise sounds like a loose pulley, but it only rattles under load....it wont make noise if I put into neutral.

The engine knocks when started cold so I let it warm up for 10 minutes, once at operating temps the knock goes away and drives fine.

Dalking
02-11-2013, 01:53 PM

RickDaTuner
02-11-2013, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Dalking
The rattle noise sounds like a loose pulley, but it only rattles under load....it wont make noise if I put into neutral.

The engine knocks when started cold so I let it warm up for 10 minutes, once at operating temps the knock goes away and drives fine.

Wanna try and post a YouTube video? It might be something as simple as a loose heat shield on the exhaust.

Dalking
02-11-2013, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner

Wanna try and post a YouTube video? It might be something as simple as a loose heat shield on the exhaust. When I get home absolutely sure.Also, if you ever have time i don't mind even driving down to you and letting you take it for a spin around the block to see the noise for yourself.