PDA

View Full Version : dodge Hemi

syeve
02-16-2004, 05:42 PM
My GF's littel sister is about to pick up a new truck and she has decided on the reg cab short box 4x4 hemi. Is this a good choice in your opinion? I think its a bit of an over kill for a 16 year old, but :dunno: . Is there anything I should know about this truck before she drives it? Thanks for any input you may have towards the trucjk, I know nothing.

Steve

1badPT
02-16-2004, 05:54 PM
Theoretically the 5.7L Hemi engine is efficient, powerful and reliable. Its brand new technology though so there's not a lot to know yet. Yeah its overkill for a 16 year old but hey to each his (or her) own right?

5.9 R/T
02-16-2004, 05:56 PM
Thats a lot of power for a 16 y/o. Maybe you should suggest a Dakota with the 4.7. Still plenty of power, but smaller and easier to drive, not to mention better fuel economy. But the Ram is a solid choice IMO if she is set on that.

hjr
02-16-2004, 06:10 PM
its supposed to be a good truck, in regards to other trucks. the gas will be terrible in regards to almost ANY car. But it sounds like the parents a child-whipped so they will probably be paying the gas too. so no worries.

cbr_ryder
02-16-2004, 06:39 PM
:clap: Great choice! :clap:

syeve
02-16-2004, 06:52 PM
thanks guys, yah, the gas issue came up, its BRUTAL from what I've read, but, the family dosent really have a truck either, so they though it would be good for the odd job, or couch moving or whatever. I drove it today and I really liked it, very stiff steering wheel and nice susp. pretty quick too :) . anyother input you may have, please feel to add.

Steve

I also test drove the srt-4, quick car, and sound awsome at idol. shifter felt like garbage, other than that, pretty cool car for 28k. BAD wheel hop through 1st and 2nd, basically no traction through 1st at all.

1badPT
02-16-2004, 07:14 PM
Yeah the 2004 SRT-4 really needs a new set of rubber - they had Michelin Pilots for the 2003's.

The shifters on all neons feel crappy but its a $25 US mod to clean them up and make them shift smooth. I know, because my car has a neon transmission :poosie:

benyl
02-16-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by 1badPT
Yeah the 2004 SRT-4 really needs a new set of rubber - they had Michelin Pilots for the 2003's.

The shifters on all neons feel crappy but its a $25 US mod to clean them up and make them shift smooth. I know, because my car has a neon transmission :poosie:

not a flame, but isn't your car basically a neon with a different body?

1badPT
02-16-2004, 08:15 PM
Not taken as a flame :)

The Neon and PT Cruiser are built on a shared platform. Other than the chassis, transmission and half-shafts the similarities end there.

Body is obviously different and so are the capabilities of both vehicles. Engines are different as well - the only engine shared between the two is the Turbo 2.4 (SRT-4 and PT Cruiser GT).

Very different cars although they share the same platform.

t3rry
02-16-2004, 09:34 PM
my only question is how would a 16y/o afford $700 a month payments PLUS probably $3-400 insuance for a new vehicle like that, yikes

5.9 R/T
02-16-2004, 10:01 PM
As far as gas mileage is concerned the HEMI will do better then pretty much any offering from chev or ford with the same power, thanks to the head design and two plugs per cylinder. It's still a big truck though and mileage will be consistant with that. :thumbsup:

syeve
02-16-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by t3rry
my only question is how would a 16y/o afford $700 a month payments PLUS probably $3-400 insuance for a new vehicle like that, yikes

her dad is gonna spring for it, I wouldnt say no :D

dieselpower91
02-23-2004, 01:44 AM
Im always disgusted when i hear of crap like this.. not anything against you obviously, but It pisses me off when these kids get handed shit like this! I had to buy all my vehicles I have owned.. I have payed for gas and expenses and all the mods I did to them and such!

I don't own beaters either.. I've owned
(still own) my 74' Nova (first car turned weekend summer cruiser/racer), a 79' Lincoln Continental, 92' Cadillac Deville and now my 91' GMC 1500 4x4 Diesel

Damn yuppies and they're spoiled ass kids!

hockeybronx
02-23-2004, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by syeve
there anything I should know about this truck before she drives it?

Yes she needs to know that when the two of you are driving together, you are the one who is supposed to be driving it and not her.

Enjoy it man.

syeve
02-23-2004, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by dieselpower91
Im always disgusted when i hear of crap like this.. not anything against you obviously, but It pisses me off when these kids get handed shit like this! I had to buy all my vehicles I have owned.. I have payed for gas and expenses and all the mods I did to them and such!

I don't own beaters either.. I've owned
(still own) my 74' Nova (first car turned weekend summer cruiser/racer), a 79' Lincoln Continental, 92' Cadillac Deville and now my 91' GMC 1500 4x4 Diesel

Damn yuppies and they're spoiled ass kids!

:thumbsup: dont worry, I dont really disagree with you...It is way too much to give a "kid" a $40k truck, she will no doubt crash it, hit someone or get a stunting ticket (not necessarily in that order).

Mahk Uno
02-23-2004, 01:20 PM
Your payiing for a name. id seriously go with the cummiings turbo diesel.

Mahk Uno
02-23-2004, 01:29 PM
wow a teen getting a hemi..i doubt she could handle a 240sx properly never mind a beast like that...for god sake if she must obtain this make dam sure its an automatic she has enough to worry about in that thing let along what gear shes in...this be the reason we pay so much damn insurance twinkie chicks who drive with there heads in the clouds "you all know what im talking about" but hey at least she gets big phat mirrors to do her make up in..

sorry for the rant but my 800 dollar a month insurance cost does this to me sometimes. Id have to agree with diesel power on this one...its bullshit cause you know shes not even going to be able to park the fuckin thing let along navigate through traffic.

groundpilot
02-23-2004, 02:18 PM
HEMI = Trouble the Dodge Mechanics are having a tough time working on them because they are still in development stages... Expect to wait anywhere from 2 - 4 weeks for Warranty work.

As far as the tranny goes, there seems to be tons of problems with the trannys, as in two or three a day going in for warranty work....

forgiven
02-29-2004, 01:00 AM
im 16 so i would love to have that truck but i would recomend down sizeing the engine. im pretty sure she would have some trouble handiling that much power. try going with a big v-6 4l is not bad

forgiven
02-29-2004, 01:01 AM
im 16 so i would love to have that truck but i would recomend down sizeing the engine. im pretty sure she would have some trouble handiling that much power. try going with a big v-6 4l is not bad

Pete92SL
02-29-2004, 02:50 AM
psssft, it isn't even a real hemi....Note the marketing name of Hemi Magnum. It is no better or worse then the 318 or 5.9.

Personally I wouldn't buy a dodge truck.

Pete

5.9 R/T
02-29-2004, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by Pete92SL
psssft, it isn't even a real hemi....Note the marketing name of Hemi Magnum. It is no better or worse then the 318 or 5.9.

Personally I wouldn't buy a dodge truck.

Pete

Actually it is, the heads are hemispherically shaped (in reality porsche, honda etc all have "HEMI"s but because chryco has the trademark...) Not to mention it gets better gas mileage and makes almost 100 more hp then the 360. And Magnum is just the name they throw on every engine. Notice the 4.7 is Magnum on the Dodge line but Powertech on the Jeep side. :thumbsup:

Texas
03-23-2004, 03:02 AM
Those hemis are BRTAl on gas, 13mpg city and 18mpg on the highway....brutal and gutless in my opinion.

1badPT
03-23-2004, 02:22 PM
345 HP/375 lb.ft tq is pretty gutless... :dunno:

Ducati
04-11-2004, 10:14 PM
I read that the HEMI will have the "Sequential Cylinders" ability to shut down 4 of its' 8 cylinders on the highway, or will that just be a feature on the upcoming 300 sedan/wagon?

"Those hemis are BRUTAL on gas, 13mpg city and 18mpg on the highway....brutal and gutless in my opinion" (quote Texas)

The HEMI is 345 hp. That is more than the biggest Vortec, and is only eclipsed by the other Chrysler, the V10 SRT.

I believe that the HEMI is more powerful than the Ford Triton V10, but I could be wrong.

I certainly enjoyed the HEMI I owned back in the Seventies. I am glad to see the engine resurrected.

5.9 R/T
04-12-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Ducati
I read that the HEMI will have the "Sequential Cylinders" ability to shut down 4 of its' 8 cylinders on the highway, or will that just be a feature on the upcoming 300 sedan/wagon?

"Those hemis are BRUTAL on gas, 13mpg city and 18mpg on the highway....brutal and gutless in my opinion" (quote Texas)

The HEMI is 345 hp. That is more than the biggest Vortec, and is only eclipsed by the other Chrysler, the V10 SRT.

I believe that the HEMI is more powerful than the Ford Triton V10, but I could be wrong.

I certainly enjoyed the HEMI I owned back in the Seventies. I am glad to see the engine resurrected.

They've been testing that sequential engine for a while, who knows if it will see production though. I'm sure you remember the GM version that saw limitied production and was plagued with problems.
The 8.1L Vortec has 330hp and 450ft/lbs tq which easily handles the HEMI, but usually for these numbers people choose a desiel, as is seen by how few of these trucks are around. Also the HEMI has more hp then the Ford V10 but less tq.

syeve
04-13-2004, 10:55 AM
well, its at the dealership now but she dosent turn 16 for another month :nut: , I drove it on the weekend and its pertty nice, didnt bag on it but it felt really good. Its got the 20 inch wheels, full aero kit, the body colored cover for the bed, and no cab so its looks pretty sporty. When she picks it up I will let you know if can beat my RSX, Im actually scared it will :eek:

Steve

Stratus_Power
04-13-2004, 12:20 PM
mah i dont see the problem with her getting a new car at the age of 16... if they have the money , go for it, just beacuse most of us ( including myself. hitting 20, still dont have an offical first car yet) dont have parents who can afford to buy us new cars, doesnt mean they shouldn't get one.

daeym
04-13-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Stratus_Power
mah i dont see the problem with her getting a new car at the age of 16... if they have the money , go for it, just beacuse most of us ( including myself. hitting 20, still dont have an offical first car yet) dont have parents who can afford to buy us new cars, doesnt mean they shouldn't get one.

well put. keep it real

jtsimaras
04-17-2004, 09:19 AM
Hemi isn't new technology at all---pretty much every DOHC engine out there is using the same technology. That's Right it has Dual Over Head Cams.

So why not just slap a hemi sticker on your DOHC import 4 banker-----

It is just an advertising scam---and it is bringing back some history from My dad's stone age.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

:werd:

1badPT
04-17-2004, 11:51 AM
Ok, you're right that its not new technology. Everything else you said is completely wrong.

The HEMI has nothing to do with DOHC. And they aren't even advertising it as new technology, they are advertising it as bringing back the mighty hemi engines from the 50's-70's.

HEMI refers to the combustion chamber being Hemispherical. Other companies use similar designs, but they can't call it a HEMI. Same thing with most engines being able to vary valve timing (aka VTEC). Only Honda can call it VTEC, the rest of the companies have to call it something else.

Do some research before you go trashtalking:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/hemi.htm

The engine has been totally reengineered using current technology, and its a huge improvement over the 5.9L engine it replaced from almost every perspective (power, efficiency, theoretically reliability will be better too).

jtsimaras
04-21-2004, 06:34 PM
same shite different pile

:closed: :closed:

jtsimaras
04-21-2004, 06:38 PM
Hemi Another Excuse burn more gas than a 4 banger-- A Real Man Drives a Diesel Truck. :werd: :werd:

dieselpower91
04-22-2004, 12:44 AM
:werd: If I was gonna get a new Dodge I'd go for the almighty CUMMINS!!! Yopu cant get a cummins with factory 20's but they are too common anyways!

jtsimaras
04-22-2004, 06:14 AM
yeppers my boro has a 2002 3/4 ho diesel---put a 100hp chip in it---man it is awesome the torque is unbelievable.
It is propably the only NOn-import i would consider buying.----One nice truck---it would rip the hemi apart---it could probably pull the hemi backwards in two wheel drive while the hemi is four wheel.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

b16ingp
04-22-2004, 06:38 PM
The hemi most definately does not offer great gas mileage. But for a truck they haul ass! In the winter the 03's had a problem with the pcv valve routing which would allow it to freeze up causing the crank case pressure to get excessive and find a way out. Be it a valve cover gasket, dip stick, or main seal. But the new ones coming have a revised system in place. Ahh, I am trying to think of other recalls on them.... hmmm The a/c condenser fans have a tendecy to have to high of resistance that causes the fuse to blow. Which the elec motor is then replaced under a tsb. Thats about all the problems that they have had with them.

Pretty much your usual little warranty things, that are typical of a domestic vehicle.

I wouldn't advise on anyone buying a diesel unless, they are going to be doing serious hauling all of the time. Not just every now and again, or perhaps if they get free diesel from the oilfield. But the excessive costs associated with a diesel will add up very quickly, especially once off warranty.

Air filter $50-70
Fuel filter $70
every oil change 11 litres of oil.
fuel lift pumps, and injection pumps are VERY expensive. And go on these trucks often.
injectors are somthing like 500 or some crazy price a piece!!!!

Although they dont burn to much fuel when left idling, who wants to leave there truck outside with the keys in it running? As a remote start will only let it run for a short time. And these trucks dont make heat worth a shit when its cold out. While driving with a winter front, they are still very cold. and temp gauges run very cold aswell....
Not fun! lol.

dieselpower91
04-26-2004, 02:21 AM
Yeah, They can get a bit pricey... Don't forget glowplugs, I spent $160 for all 8 of mine! other than that my 6.2L has been reliable as hell and I can go wheel all day and only use 1/8 tank all day wheeling and driving to & from waiporous while my buddies running gas v8's go through a whole tank.

6.2L is cheap, I paid 55 bucks for my K&N and mine only takes 6.6L of oil. $40 for an oil change from the Gm dealer.

HURST442
06-02-2004, 12:43 PM
Yeah...the insurance on it is gonna kill her:thumbsdow

theken
08-01-2004, 09:33 PM
i own a hemi 4x2 reg cab short box 13.8 mpg pretty bad on gas, my insuance is 460 a month (clean record) rediculously fun though, and all u guys comparing the deisels and the 8.1 litre, apples and oranges, the deisels are meant for towing and producing power, thats like comparing a honda to a semi for torque, wow the honda gets 45 lbs of torque while the semi gets 2000, totally different.
I would suggest a dakota for a 16 year old to stay on subject, the hemio gets pretty squirrly in the rain (360's not uncommon for me) and snow will be pretty bad.

method
08-01-2004, 10:39 PM
yucko.

not only a bad truck for a kid... waste of a truck.

little truck? gas.

big truck? diesel.

if was spending that money, I'd have an f250 with a 6.0l turbo diesel.

theken
08-15-2004, 02:05 PM
if she is still looking I am selling my 4x2 it has a TV and x box and 2 10's in it if interested hemi all options except leather, power everything heated mirrors, 6 disk changer warrenty everything just hit 5000 k

voidX
08-15-2004, 05:52 PM
i personally think all dodge trucks look like pieces of shit and i hope she doesn't plan on keeping it over a few years because the tranny will probably fall out like every other chrysler/dodge

tyfi
08-16-2004, 03:56 PM
"yucko.

not only a bad truck for a kid... waste of a truck.

little truck? gas.

big truck? diesel.

if was spending that money, I'd have an f250
with a 6.0 turbo diesel."

ya, but would you trust a 16 year old girl with a superduty?
an R/T is probably her best bet

chibi_chas
08-17-2004, 04:13 AM
that thing is so powerful a buddy of mine that works at honda his co-wokrer has one he let us rip it around the block and dam that thing is fast . he gets good gas mileage when he's with his wife :thumbsup: but wiht his buddies mileage is :thumbsdow but definately a fun truck to have .

TyDog
08-26-2004, 01:11 PM
I wish the ram had an EXT CAb

Jeevin
09-01-2004, 05:39 PM
A 16 year old girl with a Hemi. Is that sentence allowed to exist?

syeve
09-01-2004, 10:45 PM
haha, yep, it exists...not making light of it, but she has had truck for two months and so far only one accident and two tickets. I think she is trading it in for a jetta, good idea IMO.

Steve

Jeevin
09-01-2004, 11:52 PM
she doesn't deserve it. 2 tickets and an accident. Awesome. :thumbsdow

NEO
09-03-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by syeve
haha, yep, it exists...not making light of it, but she has had truck for two months and so far only one accident and two tickets. I think she is trading it in for a jetta, good idea IMO.

Steve

That wasn't shocking at all. We all knew that was going to happen.