PDA

View Full Version : taking the little one snowboarding, but have an issue.

03ozwhip
02-12-2013, 03:27 PM
so ive been looking around everywhere that i can find(thru google and phone calls) to rent a board for a little guy. the smallest board i found for rent was a 110cm and hes only between 96 and 100cm tall himself.

however, there are boards that are between 80 and 100cm for sale at local board shops, albeit they are retarded expensive and im not sure i want to spend that money just in case he doesnt like it.

what are my options in this case, has anyone gone through this and found a reasonable resolution? i tried kijiji but anything i have found, either no one gets back to me or the stuff is sold.

what should i do? oh and skiing is out of the question. we dont know how to ski and wouldnt be able to teach him.

lint
02-12-2013, 04:02 PM
personally I would stick him in lessons at COP instead of teaching him myself. But you might have more patience than me. My son just finished up the preschool 1 ski lessons at COP and we were able to do some runs on his last day, him on skis and me on a board. The instructors are really good and great with kids and will shuffle them around if ability in a class is different. They have a kids snowboard program with rentals as well, so they should have something that'll fit him.

03ozwhip
02-12-2013, 04:22 PM
i originally had planned on doing that, but its not going to work for us. i work weird shifts and i cant take him every weekend to do this, plus its $300 for the 5 week program and if he doesnt like it the first time, im screwed out of that money.

im taking him to sunshine to see what happens, since its free for him to go. if he doesnt like it, then my wife will either hang out with him, or he will go into the daycare for the day and ill just ride out the day, so that way, nothing is being wasted, other than possibly having to buy all his gear, in which case, i could sell it at a loss.

my mind is working around the having him have fun whilst not wasting a ton of cash on something that he may not do.

lint
02-12-2013, 04:36 PM
sunshine has kids programs too, so maybe just check the hills for rentals.

all the parents I know put their kids in lessons after trying to teach them on their own first. Kids tend to listen better when it's someone else and so they learn and enjoy it more. skiing is also easier for kids to learn and not get frustrated so that helps them enjoy it too.

good luck

03ozwhip
02-12-2013, 04:50 PM
ya man, i tried everywhere. COP was the only place that has snowboarding lessons for kids under 7 and no one seems to hae smaller snowboards.

i cant get him into skiing because i just know nothing about skiing so if he wasnt doing something right after lessons, i wouldnt know. id rather him start on a snowboard.

i really wanted to avoid trying to teach him at all costs, but everything i run into seems to be an issue unfortunately.

Khyron
02-17-2013, 05:13 PM
I don't think I've met a parent/kid who've started right off with snowboard under 8 years old? I'll be renting skis when I take mine to the hills then switch back to board again when she can do full runs.

03ozwhip
02-17-2013, 06:00 PM
I've seen a ton of kids 5 and under that are boarding. I look at it this way, what is the point of getting them to learn one thing that may take a while, then switch and start all over again with the learning process.

It doesn't make sense to me since the 2 sports are completely unrelated and in no way resemble each other in terms of motor skills.

gogreen
02-28-2013, 04:04 PM
A friend of ours took snowboard lessons at Whitefish earlier this month and overheard that they don't offer lessons for kids under 7 either. Their reasoning is that kids that young don't typically have the motor skills needed to learn boarding yet, as the sideways motion isn't as natural as facing forward while skiing.

Not sure if there's any truth to that theory, but it may explain why you're having trouble finding under-7 lessons.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-28-2013, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
I don't think I've met a parent/kid who've started right off with snowboard under 8 years old? I'll be renting skis when I take mine to the hills then switch back to board again when she can do full runs.

My dad started me skiing at the age of 3, I was briefly on the Alberta and Canada Nordic Combined ski team before I started coaching and now I just ski for fun.

Starting early for the win!

Supa Dexta
02-28-2013, 04:28 PM
Skiing is easier to learn then boarding.. And its not totally unrelated as you still learn balance, how to read lines, snow conditions, which makes the transition into boarding much easier once they are old enough.

dubhead
03-03-2013, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
t doesn't make sense to me since the 2 sports are completely unrelated and in no way resemble each other in terms of motor skills.

This couldn't be further from the truth they actually relate on many levels and turning is really the same basic dynamic expect one you lean side to side the other you lean heel to toe.

Many moons ago I started out by trying snowboarding caught a few edges and got discouraged so started skiing. I skied for 2 or 3 years before my last friend who skied switched to snowboarding so I tried snowboarding again. I pretty much thew a board on without any lessons and started carving since I had an understanding of how it was supposed to work from skiing. So from my experience the skills from skiing definitely transfer to snowboarding.

Also lesson are a must for a number of reason:
1.They are trained at teaching someone from scratch
2. You won't pass down your bad habits right from the start
3. There won't be the pressure to impress you in the lesson environment(this is very true for girl friends too)

03ozwhip
03-07-2013, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by dubhead

This couldn't be further from the truth they actually relate on many levels and turning is really the same basic dynamic expect one you lean side to side the other you lean heel to toe.

Many moons ago I started out by trying snowboarding caught a few edges and got discouraged so started skiing. I skied for 2 or 3 years before my last friend who skied switched to snowboarding so I tried snowboarding again. I pretty much thew a board on without any lessons and started carving since I had an understanding of how it was supposed to work from skiing. So from my experience the skills from skiing definitely transfer to snowboarding.

Also lesson are a must for a number of reason:
1.They are trained at teaching someone from scratch
2. You won't pass down your bad habits right from the start
3. There won't be the pressure to impress you in the lesson environment(this is very true for girl friends too)

were you 3 when made the switch from skiing to snowboarding? no? then we arent talking about the same thing. unless you have the motor skills of a 3 year old?

ive been snowboarding for 16 years, i know a thing or 2 about boarding and teaching snowboarding as ive taught at least 20 people how to ride, all of who still ride today.

i have no problems with bringing him to someone that can teach him better than i can, but if you read the posts above, there are reasons he isnt getting the training. which bad habits are you talking about, because this is snowboarding and im not sure what bad habits could be picked up?

sorry man, none of what you posted helps in training a 3/4 year old, its totally different than learning when youre a teen.

edit: either way, i will be waiting until next year. i got all of his gear and we did try and take him out, but he got sick and wasnt wanting to do anything, so it was a loss.

dubhead
03-07-2013, 12:24 PM

were you 3 when made the switch from skiing to snowboarding? no? then we arent talking about the same thing. unless you have the motor skills of a 3 year old?

ive been snowboarding for 16 years, i know a thing or 2 about boarding and teaching snowboarding as ive taught at least 20 people how to ride, all of who still ride today.

i have no problems with bringing him to someone that can teach him better than i can, but if you read the posts above, there are reasons he isnt getting the training. which bad habits are you talking about, because this is snowboarding and im not sure what bad habits could be picked up?

sorry man, none of what you posted helps in training a 3/4 year old, its totally different than learning when youre a teen.

edit: either way, i will be waiting until next year. i got all of his gear and we did try and take him out, but he got sick and wasnt wanting to do anything, so it was a loss.

No I wasn't 3 what I'm trying to say is that it is easier for a child that age to learn to ski than to snowboard and that when he makes the switch to snowboarding down the road that the skills will transfer.

Their are plenty of bad habits. What foot do you turn with?

All the best of luck I hope it goes well next year when you get him out there.

03ozwhip
03-07-2013, 12:38 PM
im a goofy stance, to turn right i use my back foot, to turn left, i use......my back foot lol. im actually curious what you consider bad habits when boarding.

dubhead
03-07-2013, 01:07 PM
im a goofy stance, to turn right i use my back foot, to turn left, i use......my back foot lol. im actually curious what you consider bad habits when boarding.

Thought you would say that.

Turning with your back foot is by far the most common bad habit, you are actually supposed to turn with your front foot. Throwing your back foot around is the reason many beginners catch edges all the time. If you lead with your front foot its actually nearly impossible to catch an edge while turning.

03ozwhip
03-07-2013, 01:21 PM
ive never heard that and ive never caught an edge when turning, only when going straight funny enough. where did you get this info because maybe im overthinking it but if i try and turn with my front foot, ill fall on my face.

dubhead
03-07-2013, 01:38 PM
ive never heard that and ive never caught an edge when turning, only when going straight funny enough. where did you get this info because maybe im overthinking it but if i try and turn with my front foot, ill fall on my face.

My old snowboard coach and every instructor I know.

Think about slowly rocking your weight from heel to toe on your front foot your board will slowly straighten. Once your weight is on your toe edge your board is actually doing all the work in the turn if you need to turn sharper put more weight into the turn.

A lot of the time you will still use your your back foot for fine tuning but you will hold a much stronger edge and use less energy if you lead with your front foot.

I know the first time I heard it I thought it was crazy too but next time you are out try it, its kinda surprising the first time you link a bunch of turns by only using your front foot.

03ozwhip
03-07-2013, 03:00 PM
can any other boarders chime in on this, i want to know your guys point of view. i just talked to a couple of people i ride with and all are the same as i am both regular and goofy, all use back foot for both and dont see a point in using the front....

SOAB
03-07-2013, 03:20 PM
if you are using your back foot to control or initiate your turns, you're doing it wrong. it may work, but it is not as effective and much more taxing on your legs.

doing it your way, there is a lot more "sliding" and less "edging". initiate the turn by shifting your weight forward or back and lifting either your heel or toe and allow the board to do the work, you will find that your turns will be faster and you won't lose as much speed. your board will also do alot of the work for you so you'd be less tired.

gogreen
03-07-2013, 04:33 PM
I agree that turns should be initiated with the front foot. I do believe that both feet are used throughout the turn (some may disagree) but as SOAB posted, using your back foot for primary steering movements typically yields a skidded turn as opposed to carving. It's always been my understanding to apply pressure on the front foot first, smoothly transition back to the rear foot (or at least equalize the pressure on both feet), then repeat to link turns. All while performing edging movements, of course.

I've heard instructors say that the back foot does absolutely nothing, but for my board (at least the way it's set up) if I keep pressure on my front foot throughout a turn it's like the board wants to accelerate and carve back up the hill, so I need to transfer weight to the rear foot once a turn is initiated.

Not that my technique is impeccable, mind you. I will sometimes resort to skidding motions to scrub speed, make short, quick turns, or when I'm getting tired and start fighting the board (at which point the arms start thrashing and I know it's time to shut it down for the day, lol).

I have found that flat and rockered boards ride different than traditional cambered boards. The flat board I've ridden only required the slightest, most subtle movements in order to carve, and held an edge with very little effort.

03ozwhip
03-07-2013, 09:08 PM
I am a non believer! I will try it next time I'm out, however, I may totally be doing it and not realizing it, but its just so second nature to me, that I don't think about how I actually do things anymore.

max_boost
03-07-2013, 09:18 PM
Ya front foot for sure. I learned via http://snowprofessor.com/

googe
03-11-2013, 12:39 PM
Yeah, CASI and AASI would both fail you instantly for turning with your back foot.

That's the problem with self taught teaching others. A lot of self-taught people realize early on that they can use their back foot as a rudder to make them turn, then they learn wrong.

I did the same thing. It wasn't until I actually started researching technique and talking to certified instructors that I found out how wrong it was. It was hard to unlearn at first, but it improved my riding dramatically.

Try it for a few runs. Center your weight, and think of your front foot as a joystick. Move it left or right to apply torsion to the board and engage the sidecut. The board will turn, and just follow with your rear foot. It'll feel weird at first and then you'll wonder how you ever did it any other way.

Anyway, no idea about small boards, but reminded me of this:

0n6475aezco

lilmira
03-11-2013, 01:00 PM
If I want to carve, I just lean with pretty much equal pressure on both feet but I'll need some decent speed first.

If I just want to skid/turn/speed check, then back leg for sure. I use my back leg a lot too on moguls where I have to turn quick. :dunno:

cam_wmh
03-18-2013, 08:08 PM

The best analogy to compare how similar the two are, is slalom water-skiing. They are both edge based, using the perimeter of your foot. Side, heels, front flexors.

can any other boarders chime in on this, i want to know your guys point of view. i just talked to a couple of people i ride with and all are the same as i am both regular and goofy, all use back foot for both and dont see a point in using the front....

They're wrong. %100.

The best way to tell is when you're turning you should see as close a line behind you as thin as possible. Using your sidecut, and flexing the board. "carving"

I could list my creds, but it's long, & I'd rather maintain a bit of anonymity.

03ozwhip
03-18-2013, 09:35 PM
alright guys, i went out to the hill on saturday and you are all totally right, i just never really thought about what i was doing until you guys made me think about it lol.

ya i use my front foot for most things, not my back.