PDA

View Full Version : What's with deadbeat husbands?

LollerBrader
02-13-2013, 11:12 AM
I get to know a lot of families through my kids friends.

I'm currently witnessing two domestic train wrecks in progress. I can't even get my head around them.

The husbands are completely checked out, working only off and on. The mothers carry most of the financial and child care load, almost as if they were a single parent.

In both cases, it's become recently known that the husbands are racking up debt on the sly. They bring home little, and actually are a drain on finances.

As far as I can tell, there are neither mistresses, or substance abuse problems involved - Just sort of an all consuming laziness. In one case, the father is quite engaged with the children, and in the other, the father isn't.

The first father is actively hen-pecked by a pissed off wife.. but AFAICT, she was a pretty decent wife until he checked out. The husband is a pretty decent guy otherwise.

Both cases are heading to divorce in the near-term, I think. It just seems so tragic.

It's just weird. Anyone seen dudes just check out like this?

What gives?

sputnik
02-13-2013, 11:13 AM
We live in a society where men are encouraged to act like teenaged boys for as long as possible.

Women need to recognize this and be a bit more choosy when selecting a spouse.

Seth1968
02-13-2013, 11:17 AM
I don't know if this is related or not, but have you noticed in commercials that the man is often portrayed as a lazy idiot?

403Gemini
02-13-2013, 11:19 AM
Yep... I know somebody who is about to marry a very immature guy. I feel bad for her and we've (me and friends/family) have tried bringing it up gently with her but she gets SUPER defensive.

The guy went unemployed for about 8 months, went on a rampant spending spree with no income.

Insists on living beyond their means. (Wanting to buy new cars all the time, living in overdraft, etc).

Ended up getting a new job, and now that his 3 months probation is up and he has a union (he was bragging about this...), it is now "ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO GET FIRED!" so he takes probably 3-5 sick days a month.

Spends more time playing video games with his friends and going out with his friends than he does with his fiancee.

Even when they're home together, he just goes on his computer all night.

For the wedding, he hasn't planned ANYTHING. I know men joke about that, but I'm getting married and I've planned some stuff and am excited about making decisions about things.... not to mention i'm insane OCD so I'm doing the seating plan because I like organizing things lol

The guy is just immature in general, I've tried having conversations with him ... but he thinks the Transformer franchise is quality cinema so... yeah... oh yeah he's late 20's too (I think 27-28?).

maxomilll
02-13-2013, 11:21 AM
^ I also think that has do to with adult males being the last safe demographic to make fun of..

403Gemini
02-13-2013, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Seth1968
I don't know if this is related or not, but have you noticed in commercials that the man is often portrayed as a lazy idiot?

Originally posted by maxomilll
^ I also think that has do to with adult males being the last safe demographic to make fun of..

True enough...

Look at most sitcoms - husband is an overweight,sometimes balding bafoon. His wife? Usually pretty hot.

edit: That being said, Phil from modern family is fucking amazing :rofl: but he's still a good dad from a "parenting" standpoint.

Boosted131
02-13-2013, 11:26 AM
The people around me are the opposite... Will be like an oil field worker husband with a stay at home do nothing wife driving around an escalade while he's at work 2 weeks at a time.

Disoblige
02-13-2013, 11:31 AM
It's not just a deadbeat husband, it's just a deadbeat loser in general. Lots of those in society. Unmotivated, lazy, inconsiderate.

sputnik
02-13-2013, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Seth1968

Or commercials where all guys do is party, go to the gym, shop for clothes and drink beer with women 20+ years younger than them.

There was a time when boys became men.

Now boys become adolescents and stay that way until they come to the realization they the path they are on is pointless. For some this goes well into their 40s.

FixedGear
02-13-2013, 11:48 AM
The problem is that many people are too young when they get married and start having kids. Many people are kids themselves when they start having children. In these cases, neither party is ready for a long-term marriage, let alone raising kids. This is why divorce rates are so high, and why so many children come from "broken homes."

I'm 33, and while I do plan on having children, it's not even really on the radar yet. :dunno:

sputnik
02-13-2013, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
edit: That being said, Phil from modern family is fucking amazing

Jay (Ed O'Neill) as well.

- They work relatively normal hours at full time careers (not part time joe jobs)
- They come home after work (not hit the pub until 9pm or golf 5 days a week)
- They respect their wives
- They don't cheat on their wives or wish for a different wife
- They talk to and interact in meaningful ways with their kids (not just stare at their Blackberry reading work email at the dinner table)
- They take their wives and kids out
- They genuinely want the best for their family
- They take it upon themselves to ensure that their household is doing well in general

I wish more shows had better male role models. One of the fears I have been a dad of a son is that he will be inundated with media where men are losers who have no idea what being a man really is.

sputnik
02-13-2013, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by FixedGear
The problem is that many people are too young when they get married and start having kids. Many people are kids themselves when they start having children. In these cases, neither party is ready for a long-term marriage, let alone raising kids. This is why divorce rates are so high, and why so many children come from "broken homes."

I'm 33, and while I do plan on having children, it's not even really on the radar yet. :dunno:

I would say age makes no difference.

It comes down to what your priorities are. If your priorities are going out every night, golfing whenever you want and buying whatever you want. Then getting married and having kids is going to be a disaster regardless of how old you are.

I was 20 with a full time career that I am still in and bought a house at 22 and married at 26. My first son showed up when I was 30 and my daughter when I was 33. I have friends that I grew up with that are in their mid 30s that took 7 years to complete their B.A. and now working crappy service/laborer jobs. Some are living at home or sharing a house with 2-3 roommates. They ski all of the time, are drunk all weekend and have girlfriends that don't seem to care that they are go-nowhere-losers. Some of their girlfriends even help pay their bills/rent if they spent too much on booze or video games.

They keep getting older and they aren't getting any smarter. Nor are they better marriage material from when they were 18.

If you are 33 (and your wife is the same age) and you are planning on having kids... you might want to get on that. You may quickly learn that she probably isn't as fertile as she was when she was in her mid 20s.

Tik-Tok
02-13-2013, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

There was a time when boys became men.

Now boys become adolescents and stay that way until they come to the realization they the path they are on is pointless. For some this goes well into their 40s.

Just wait for the next few generations to be brought up. Those that are still so immature now, and the product of too much coddling, and parents taking care of them (IE letting them stay at home and party) well into their 20's.

It'll be insane another 20 years from now.

FixedGear
02-13-2013, 12:02 PM
There must be a correlation between divorce rates and marriage age.

Edit: and yea, I don't know any guys who act like adolescents in their 40s, but then again I suppose your view of this depends on what kind of people you surround yourself with.

sputnik
02-13-2013, 12:06 PM
There must be a correlation between divorce rates and marriage at.

If it was age (and not our shifting culture), the stats would be identical in 1950 as it is for 2013.

FixedGear
02-13-2013, 12:08 PM

If it was age (and not our shifting culture), the stats would be identical in 1950 as it is for 2013.

I think we agree that it's easier to get divorced these days, but my point is that people who get married at (say) 20 have a higher probability of getting divorced than people who get married at (say) 30.

03ozwhip
02-13-2013, 12:12 PM
its usually a case where the guys never wanted to be there in the first place. they hate their lives with the women, but because its easy( usually monetary wise) to stay with them, they just go along with it.

then OOPS, im pregnant, stuck with her forever now, now they (have) to get married. so now the guy is even more miserable, which puts them in more of a depression because of where his life is and doesnt do shit about it because its easier not to.

i have a friend that is a good guy, works hard and from what he says, genuinely love his girlfriend. recently, he caught her cheating on him. he told all of his friends about it, because he was going to leave her.

now no one talks to them because he decided to stay with her, everyone knows what she did(with a mutual friend of all of ours) and is pissed off. i know this guy very well, hes one of my best friends and i know that he would never do something like this, but as far as im concerned, he is doing it because his mom just moved in with them(from new brunswick) and they have a lease and car together, plus finances together, im positive hes staying with her for the money aspect, but he denies it and so will all of these type of guys.

(sorry a bit off track there)

DeleriousZ
02-13-2013, 12:21 PM

Cost of living factors into it as well. Gone are the days where a 'normal' family can afford to have a stay at home mom, a house, a proper diet, regular activities, and a dad with a regular 9-5 job.

It's pretty hard to live a happy life when finances are a constant stress on the relationship and/or people in the relationship. Granted the type of people being discussed here are in a different category.

sputnik
02-13-2013, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ

Cost of living factors into it as well. Gone are the days where a 'normal' family can afford to have a stay at home mom, a house, a proper diet, regular activities, and a dad with a regular 9-5 job.

It's pretty hard to live a happy life when finances are a constant stress on the relationship and/or people in the relationship. Granted the type of people being discussed here are in a different category.

Sure its possible. It just means you have to be reasonable with your budget and your materialistic expectations. In the 50s the average family didn't have as many bills and credit card debt that they do now.

Think about how much money you would have if you didn't have cable TV, cell phone and internet bills. Add on that one domestic car (MAYBE two) to pay for and insure and no quads, sleds, boats and other toys. Think about how much you spend on designer clothes, meals out or tropical holidays. Back in the 50s only movie stars and the very wealthy went to Mexico, Vegas or Cuba. Now we just drop a couple grand on the credit card and go.

"Things were cheaper then" is just a poor excuse people use when they are being led by consumerism and their need to keep up with the Jones'. It is just that most people are unwilling to simplify their lives because they identify themselves by how much they are able to consume.

revelations
02-13-2013, 12:31 PM
Many theories abound.

Mine is that too many coddled kids become 20-somethings and expect everything to be easy.

Those who have had a tougher childhood tend to be more driven and are more satisfied with less....IMO.

revelations
02-13-2013, 12:33 PM

"Things were cheaper then" is just a poor excuse people use when they are being led by consumerism and their need to keep up with the Jones'. It is just that most people are unwilling to simplify their lives because they identify themselves by how much they are able to consume.

:werd:

Was going to post this as well - we have different needs today.

For eg. dropping 3000$ on a 70" TV is NOT reasonable unless youre paying with cash not credit.

The wife and I couldve easily gotten a "big" house but we deliberately kept our search for a place that we actually need.

GS430
02-13-2013, 12:34 PM
I blame SWAG and shitty music.

DeleriousZ
02-13-2013, 12:54 PM

Sure its possible. It just means you have to be reasonable with your budget and your materialistic expectations. In the 50s the average family didn't have as many bills and credit card debt that they do now.

Think about how much money you would have if you didn't have cable TV, cell phone and internet bills. Add on that one domestic car (MAYBE two) to pay for and insure and no quads, sleds, boats and other toys. Think about how much you spend on designer clothes, meals out or tropical holidays. Back in the 50s only movie stars and the very wealthy went to Mexico, Vegas or Cuba. Now we just drop a couple grand on the credit card and go.

After doing a quick google, it looks like the average house price back in 1953 was $17,500, and the average income was $4011. In Canada in 2012 the average house price was $352800 and the average wage was $46000. That's a ratio difference of 4.36 to 7.67. I'm not claiming these facts to be 100% accurate, but they're an OK representation of the cost difference.

Most people on beyond here have their head in the clouds in terms of average wage, Calgary is a horrible example for liveability, IMO.

True, with strict budgeting and proper money management, and a stable income, living on a single income is possible. However that doesn't mean it's living 'comfortably'.

A790
02-13-2013, 12:59 PM
Not just males. Young adults in general are conditioned to be immature, irresponsible bottle-feeders that never truly gain independence until their late 20's early 30's.

When I hear another one of my friends say "Well I'm only 22/23/24/25" part of me dies inside. These are the same people that wonder how I can afford two/three vacations a year, a house, two cars, etc. without being constantly broke all the time.

The concept of hard work, ambition, and living within your means seems to be lost on people. It's a sad reality of the world we live in.

I pay some of my employees $14-$17/hr to clean houses and you wouldn't believe how many of them constantly ask me for raises. These same people take 3-5 days off in an 8 week period, complain when I give them more hours to work, etc.

This is a problem that our society has created and the impact to our productivity and capability is starting to become obvious.

I feel sad for us.

Sugarphreak
02-13-2013, 01:24 PM

sputnik
02-13-2013, 01:25 PM

After doing a quick google, it looks like the average house price back in 1953 was $17,500, and the average income was $4011. In Canada in 2012 the average house price was $352800 and the average wage was $46000. That's a ratio difference of 4.36 to 7.67. I'm not claiming these facts to be 100% accurate, but they're an OK representation of the cost difference.

I live in a house built in 1956.

It is an 1100 sq ft 3 BR/1BA bungalow. It was an average house for that time. Average houses at that time had no en suites, no walk in closets, no huge kitchens with marble top islands. There were no bonus rooms, media rooms, wet bars or even attached garages and I know from my neighbour (who has lived in the same house since 1957) that the original owners of my house were a family of 4.

And people still wonder why houses in 1950 were so much cheaper than the average house built today.

Funny how we get back to a theme of wanting more and more and then trying to blame some factor outside of our control.

max_boost
02-13-2013, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by A790
Not just males. Young adults in general are conditioned to be immature, irresponsible bottle-feeders that never truly gain independence until their late 20's early 30's.

When I hear another one of my friends say "Well I'm only 22/23/24/25" part of me dies inside. These are the same people that wonder how I can afford two/three vacations a year, a house, two cars, etc. without being constantly broke all the time.

The concept of hard work, ambition, and living within your means seems to be lost on people. It's a sad reality of the world we live in.

I pay some of my employees $14-$17/hr to clean houses and you wouldn't believe how many of them constantly ask me for raises. These same people take 3-5 days off in an 8 week period, complain when I give them more hours to work, etc.

This is a problem that our society has created and the impact to our productivity and capability is starting to become obvious.

I feel sad for us.

Time for you to get on board with the foreign worker train (seriously). so much less drama to put up with.

Tik-Tok
02-13-2013, 01:32 PM
To be fair though, bungelows are almost non existant in new hoods, and are actually more expensive than a two storey in some areas. :nut:

I know what you mean though.

max_boost
02-13-2013, 01:33 PM
:D

DeleriousZ
02-13-2013, 01:40 PM

I live in a house built in 1956.

It is an 1100 sq ft 3 BR/1BA bungalow. It was an average house for that time. Average houses at that time had no en suites, no walk in closets, no huge kitchens with marble top islands. There were no bonus rooms, media rooms, wet bars or even attached garages and I know from my neighbour (who has lived in the same house since 1957) that the original owners of my house were a family of 4.

And people still wonder why houses in 1950 were so much cheaper than the average house built today.

Funny how we get back to a theme of wanting more and more and then trying to blame some factor outside of our control.

I never said anything about building new houses, I said that was the average house price, which covers houses built whenever and are still in liveable shape. I currently live in a house with a roommate that's a 2BR/1BA and probably sub 1ksqft, and it works just fine, I'd be happy living in a house that size, especially if I had it to myself or with my gf.

Wages have not kept up with cost of living/inflation, it's not about the desire for more.

I am just the king of threadjack today, my apologies lol.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-13-2013, 01:54 PM
I'm immature as hell when I'm with just my friends, otherwise professional and courteous at work, save my money, treat my girlfriend well and take her out on nights alone as well as with my friends.

There's a time to be a useless goofball but that time is short and it doesn't happen in regular life, usually it's one night a week or a weekend day but otherwise it has to be business as usual.

Kramerica
02-13-2013, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
its usually a case where the guys never wanted to be there in the first place. they hate their lives with the women, but because its easy( usually monetary wise) to stay with them, they just go along with it.

I have a friend met through work who has been dating the same chick since high school (who I also work with). There is zero assertiveness on his part and the relationship has more or less evolved to the point where she acts like his mother. While they've moved into an apartment together and have done it while both going to school she is the one who owns a car and drives them everywhere while he refuses to even get a license.

I don't fundamentally understand how somebody is comfortable in that kind of relationship dynamic, you can just tell from any sort of conversation that she more or less has the final say. I wouldn't say these kinds of people as deadbeats, or that a woman should serve the subservient role in the relationship. But it definitely seems like a lot of guys are looking for mother instead of a girlfriend/wife in a relationship.

At some point you want more freedom out of life and have to accept a certain amount of responsibility with that, too many people my age are willing to throw that away and are willing to be told what to do all the time so there is more video game/TV/laying around time.

sputnik
02-13-2013, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Kramerica

I have a friend met through work who has been dating the same chick since high school (who I also work with). There is zero assertiveness on his part and the relationship has more or less evolved to the point where she acts like his mother. While they've moved into an apartment together and have done it while both going to school she is the one who owns a car and drives them everywhere while he refuses to even get a license.

Some guys want nothing more than a mother figure as a wife.

Makes the transition from living with mom and dad to living on their own seamless. Especially when they have been coddled and defended by their mommy all through life.

I feel sorry for the women that end up with guys like this.

A790
02-13-2013, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Time for you to get on board with the foreign worker train (seriously). so much less drama to put up with.
How do I do that? I have a hard time attracting foreign workers. Most of my applicants are deadbeats, white trash, or the young party girls that don't give a shit.

The ones I hire are almost always the exception to the rule, but it's getting harder and harder to find decent workers.

prosh
02-13-2013, 02:55 PM
The husbands are completely checked out, working only off and on. The mothers carry most of the financial and child care load, almost as if they were a single parent.

I think the topic is pretty misleading. Last I checked, there's probably just as many cases of deadbeat wives out there, *cough* the ones that have nannies that watch the kids and are out at nail salons and/or holt renfrew spending their husbands money. I'm not saying thats always the case but its tough to generalize this topic

Lex350
02-13-2013, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by prosh

I think the topic is pretty misleading. Last I checked, there's probably just as many cases of deadbeat wives out there, *cough* the ones that have nannies that watch the kids and are out at nail salons and/or holt renfrew spending their husbands money. I'm not saying thats always the case but its tough to generalize this topic

yup...had a neighbor just like that. The guy made over 200k a year and it still wasn't enough for her. She couldn't spend it fast enough. Actually used to bitch at him that he wasn't making enough. She would also put the kids in daycare so she could go to the movies and shop. My buddy got smart and traded her in for a newer model.

ercchry
02-13-2013, 03:26 PM

Wages have not kept up with cost of living/inflation, it's not about the desire for more.

population and development of 3rd world countries have changed the dynamics of life in north america. the middle class shrunk.

my motto has always been work hard when you are young and able. as my salary has grown i have become lazier and lazier... but i have also accomplished more than most 30 year olds i know, so im cool with it.

will we ever be able to live that 50s era single income lifestyle? perhaps... but it will only come because of the "sacrifices" we have made now... and by that i mean not being like 80% of our friends.

"oh, well i had a good job... but i just didnt like it. i saved $10k so im just going to quit and do nothing for 6 months... then i'll search for a new job that doesnt build on my current experience"

"i dont want to be tied down with a mortgage, so i'll just live at my parents house for free till then kick me out and party 3-5 nights a week"

:banghead: :nut:

FixedGear
02-13-2013, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

and by that i mean not being like 80% of our friends.

"oh, well i had a good job... but i just didnt like it. i saved $10k so im just going to quit and do nothing for 6 months... then i'll search for a new job that doesnt build on my current experience"

"i dont want to be tied down with a mortgage, so i'll just live at my parents house for free till then kick me out and party 3-5 nights a week"

:banghead: :nut:

is that really 80% of your friends? I honestly don't think I know a single person like that, aside from perhaps some kids in high school that I haven't talked to in 15 years. I can't imagine that attitude is very common... or is it? :confused:

Marsh
02-13-2013, 03:53 PM

So True. Filipinos are the greatest!

ercchry
02-13-2013, 03:54 PM
Im talking 20-26 year olds... it feels like 80%. i can count married friends on one hand and home owners on two... lost track of random trip taking partiers who are still taking their undergrads after 6 years

Grogador
02-14-2013, 09:10 AM
http://blog.penelopetrunk.com/2013/01/31/how-to-pick-a-wife-if-you-want-to-have-kids/

BerserkerCatSplat
02-14-2013, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Grogador
http://blog.penelopetrunk.com/2013/01/31/how-to-pick-a-wife-if-you-want-to-have-kids/

You look like you might be baby-making material. But first, take this Myers Briggs test! It will determine your suitability as a partner.

A790
02-14-2013, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
Im talking 20-26 year olds... it feels like 80%. i can count married friends on one hand and home owners on two... lost track of random trip taking partiers who are still taking their undergrads after 6 years
Bingo, echos what a said a bit further up the page, and it's completely right.

I'm 26, lost a lot of friends because of career/financial choices I've made (focused on building income, not so much partying, etc.). Don't miss them. They bitch/complain about money issues constantly. I don't.

It's almost like there's a correlation there...

Disoblige
02-14-2013, 09:45 AM
They bitch/complain about money issues constantly. I don't.

I hate people who have no money but complain about it. The worse are those who aren't willing to change their lazy lifestyle and blunting say "Yeah, but I'm lazy.. Hahaha"

These people are poison to me and I stay away from them.

Grogador
02-14-2013, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
You look like you might be baby-making material. But first, take this Myers Briggs test! It will determine your suitability as a partner.

Yeah, she's quite obsessed with Myers Briggs types, statistics and mo money. I figured it would resonate well with the crowd here.

Seth1968
02-14-2013, 10:42 AM

I think there was an Outer Limits episode in which the synopsis was something like:

Female humans have been genetically modified so they can't naturally reproduce. If a couple qualifies under the "Proper Parenting" act, they are given pills which allow them to reproduce.

Disoblige
02-14-2013, 10:45 AM
^^ Sluts galore in that world :rofl:

Seth1968
02-14-2013, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige
^^ Sluts galore in that world :rofl:

After I wrote that post, I walked away thinking, "We can screw all we want with no worries about having a kid" lol.

sputnik
02-14-2013, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Grogador

Yeah, she's quite obsessed with Myers Briggs types, statistics and mo money. I figured it would resonate well with the crowd here.

The problem with Myers-Briggs is that you can easily fake the test to turn your results into something you WANT to be rather than something you are.

Supa Dexta
02-15-2013, 05:24 AM
I recently overheard a guy at work losing his shit on the phonew ith his wife saying - I MADE 288K LAST YEAR, AND WE SPENT IT ALL! --- AND WE HAVE NOTHING TO SHOW FOR IT!!

Give your head a shake. :rofl: ps, shes a student, doesn't work, and drives around in a benz suv

Redlined_8000
02-15-2013, 05:50 AM
Really is sad to see some of those people who have no motivation or drive. I'm a little younger guy and just trying to set myself off well but I do have a couple friends that I'm afraid aren't making the right choices.
They don't study hard in school and tend to give up on stuff way to easy in life it's almost like living in a dream world or something. Sometimes you just need to wakeup and think about the future. I feel there is a line between following your dream and being realistic.

403Gemini
02-15-2013, 08:38 AM

Bingo, echos what a said a bit further up the page, and it's completely right.

I'm 26, lost a lot of friends because of career/financial choices I've made (focused on building income, not so much partying, etc.). Don't miss them. They bitch/complain about money issues constantly. I don't.

This! I never went on the annual or semi-annual trip to Mexico when I was younger... In fact I've never even been to Mexico yet or even to Las Vegas :rofl: , but those friends who "LIVED LARGE!" when they were younger are my age (late 20's, early 30's) now who are scraping by and bouncing from job to job because they don't have any work ethic. Now, they're the ones who can hardly re-fuel their car and I'm the one going on vacations.

It's just entertaining to watch these types of people from the sideline on facebook every few months saying "Got laid off again :( I really have no luck this year!"

Cos
02-15-2013, 08:46 AM

msommers
02-15-2013, 09:03 AM
Getting married these days, in Alberta, is such a gamble. I remember a comedian talking about divorce rates and was funny, yet really put it in perspective:

"Everyone is getting married these days man. All my friends are like, 'When you gonna grow up and settle down?' Marriage is scary man. Did you know that half of marriages these days end in divorce? 50%! So I said, 'Lets look at it a different way. Say there is a street you want to cross. The problem with this street is that half the people crossing it get hit by a car and die. Still interested in crossing it?!'"

:rofl:

KappaSigma
02-15-2013, 09:09 AM
Whats the deal with crazy lazy women these days with no domestic skills either?

Cos
02-15-2013, 09:22 AM

prosh
02-15-2013, 09:34 AM
Did the OP pull a Ali20??

D. Dub
02-15-2013, 09:41 AM

Sure its possible. It just means you have to be reasonable with your budget and your materialistic expectations.

Exactly, people today "NEED" two new cars, a Mcmansion, all kinds of electronics, toys, 3 vacations a year to $$$$$ locations, etc, etc, etc

prosh
02-15-2013, 09:52 AM
Minor edits but for the most part, if you're not retarded with your money, all these things are possible and more so if you're DINK's in O&G.

Originally posted by D. Dub

Exactly, people today "NEED" two $100k new cars, a MILLION DOLLARMcmansion, all kinds of electronics, toys, 3 vacations a year to $$$$$ locations, etc, etc, etc

Canmorite
02-15-2013, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by KappaSigma
Whats the deal with crazy lazy women these days with no domestic skills either?

Not all of them are, but I've had this conversation with a friend recently. Lots of single girls in their late 20's early 30's, all career girls so far and all they do is party and 'go out', spend too much on vacations, are uninteresting/uninspiring people, know nothing about the real world in terms of politics/economics/world events and can't hold an in-depth conversation. Can't cook, can't do shit, but are 'pretty'.

They complain about how they can't find a good guy. A good guy doesn't want you! :rofl:

Grogador
02-15-2013, 11:56 AM
The problem with Myers-Briggs is that you can easily fake the test to turn your results into something you WANT to be rather than something you are.

That's true of any self-administered profile. If you delve deeper into her blog, you'll see that she runs seminars about personality types, including how to easily recognize and classify people's actions and words. It's a spectrum really; my results vary slightly depending on test and mood, but it's always in the right neighborhood.

What you really need to worry about is things that actually can totally modify a person's behavior. Borderline personality disorder and others can basically mean that you wake up one day next to a totally different person. Also, birth control hormones drastically modify a woman's behavior and mating preferences, since they basically convince her body that she's pregnant.

Originally posted by msommers
Did you know that half of marriages these days end in divorce? 50%! So I said, "Lets look at it a different way. Say there is a street you want to cross. The problem with this street is that half the people crossing it get hit by a car and die. Still interested in crossing it?!"

If you don't have kids, is divorce really that tragic? How does it even work anyway, with stuff and money? And wtf is with alimony? Where's my pussy payments!?

Originally posted by Canmorite
...They complain about how they can't find a good guy. A good guy doesn't want you! :rofl:

Oh so this. Career partygirl waitress gets old quick, usually about two hours :)

max_boost
02-15-2013, 11:59 AM
You can always party. You can always travel. You can do whatever you want whenever you want. Friends come and go and you will always find new ones who align to your lifestyle at that given time. I use to think you have to do certain things by a certain age or else the "experience" "fun factor" won't be there. What a big pile of shit. Just keep acquiring currency and you will always have opportunity.

I think my HELOC jokes are played out now so no one drop that on me anymore please. LOL :angel:

G-ZUS
02-15-2013, 12:04 PM
Just keep acquiring currency and you will always have opportunity.

SKR
02-15-2013, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Getting married these days, in Alberta, is such a gamble. I remember a comedian talking about divorce rates and was funny, yet really put it in perspective:

"Everyone is getting married these days man. All my friends are like, 'When you gonna grow up and settle down?' Marriage is scary man. Did you know that half of marriages these days end in divorce? 50%! So I said, 'Lets look at it a different way. Say there is a street you want to cross. The problem with this street is that half the people crossing it get hit by a car and die. Still interested in crossing it?!'"

:rofl:

Not the same guy, or at least not the same bit, but here's this:

laXQv7zvbp4

heavyfuel
02-15-2013, 08:04 PM
Wow a thread by grown men discussing why other grown men aren't as awesome as they are... Sounds like an Oprah topic lol

Isaiah
02-15-2013, 08:50 PM

How do I do that? I have a hard time attracting foreign workers. Most of my applicants are deadbeats, white trash, or the young party girls that don't give a shit.

The ones I hire are almost always the exception to the rule, but it's getting harder and harder to find decent workers.
If you're looking for reliable cleaning staff, we have found that vietnamese women are incredibly thorough and hardworking.

Your best bet is to stay away from kijiji and online ads and post a short, concise, and comprehensible (to ESL) ad in the areas where local ethnic people congregate. My mom has had cleaning ladies for over 20 years, almost all of them Vietnamese and Filipino because she's found them to be the hardest workers. It has a lot to do with appreciation for their job and earning a day's pay which is intrinsic to their culture.

1. Type out the ad. Short and sweet with wage in large bold font.

2. Print 20 copies.

3. Head to 17th Ave SE and Chinatown. Spend an hour visiting all the Vietnamese businesses and posting on message boards.

4. You'll have 20 calls from qualified, interested, and hardworking immigrants in the first week.

Supa Dexta
02-16-2013, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by heavyfuel
Wow a thread by grown men discussing why other grown men aren't as awesome as they are... Sounds like an Oprah topic lol

You have no business in a thread about awesome men, see yourself out. :rofl:

heavyfuel
02-16-2013, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta

You have no business in a thread about awesome men, see yourself out. :rofl:

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr150/2500calgary/awesome2_zpsd32c7e35.jpg

I am awesome. You know what else is awesome? A dude online at 2:13 AM on a weekend telling another dude that's he's not awesome.

codetrap
02-16-2013, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by heavyfuel

I am awesome. You know what else is awesome? A dude online at 2:13 AM on a weekend telling another dude that's he's not awesome. Am I awesome because I didn't respond at 3AM last night even though I saw the thread??

I was up for a bit because my daughter had a nightmare about giant mange wolves (wtf??) that were hunting her down and were going to eat her. So, I went on a mange wolf hunt with my faithful dog through the house and then killed and ate them all. No more mange wolves. Then I had to snuggle for a bit because I had a tummy ache from eating them all, so she comforted me for a bit till she fell back to sleep.

topsecret
02-16-2013, 10:37 AM
You can always party. You can always travel. You can do whatever you want whenever you want. Friends come and go and you will always find new ones who align to your lifestyle at that given time. I use to think you have to do certain things by a certain age or else the "experience" "fun factor" won't be there. What a big pile of shit. Just keep acquiring currency and you will always have opportunity.

I think my HELOC jokes are played out now so no one drop that on me anymore please. LOL :angel:

This!!!!

I'm 28, own a business and a couple properties, sure I've made sacrifices to get to where I am...however I have never lost touch with having fun along the way all the guys on here talking about not acting like your 18 anymore are either trying to hide who they are because they THINK that's the way your supposed to act or they never really got into the party scene in the first place! (I'm not trying to take a stab at anyone either) I don't have a wife, I don't have kids...so why would I sit around at home and not go out? What was said about friends and finding new ones is also 100% true, if ppl just want to bitch and complain how shitty there lives are I don't need to be a part of it, I will find new ppl to hang out with.