PDA

View Full Version : Pug and/or Bulldog Owners on Beyond

V6-BoI
02-14-2013, 12:59 PM
Just had a question to any Beyonder that owns a pug and/or bulldog.

I have a French Bulldog X Pug, and we're about to get her spayed in the next couple weeks. Pugs and Bulldogs genetically can develop breathing problems because of their shorter snout, smaller nostrils, and their elongated soft palate. And because of this, they are unable to ventilate that well when they get hot (can be bad when we take her for walks in the summer time). Our vet is really pushing us to have surgery done on her when we get her spayed to help prevent this. If it was only a few hundred bucks, I don't have a problem, but to do the surgery and to spay it can cost upwards of $3000.

So just wondering if any Beyonder here who has a bulldog or pug had this surgery done to their dog(s)? And what their thoughts on this is.

taemo
02-14-2013, 01:04 PM
I have a pug and I didn't get her spayed or had her surgery done.
if I knew earlier I would have gotten her the surgery done as in the summer (July-August) she definitely has a hard time breathing, she can't walk or run for more than 400m before she's out of breath and needs to stop oh and also after a tiring walk and back in the house, she breathes so hard that you think she has asthma.

but other than that she's fine and healthy, can run for 2k no problem in the winter.

tirebob
02-14-2013, 01:06 PM
I don't have one of these dogs, but IMHO for any dog, I would avoid any surgery unless it is 100% necessary. I am not a big fan of preventative surgery...

taemo
02-14-2013, 01:09 PM
btw can you post pics of your french bulldog x pug?
my 2 favorite breeds.
although I saw an awesome puggle once

kvg
02-14-2013, 01:22 PM
They have a high risk of heat stroke and death due to their short muzzle, but I'm with Bob and would be more inclined to avoid surgery unless its necessary.

R-Audi
02-14-2013, 01:23 PM
I have an English Bulldog.. no pallet surgery for him.

The best thing you can do is keep them in shape with regular exercise. If they really have a hard time breathing then do it. Stuff like this typically wouldnt be covered on insurance when its preventative, as opposed to your dog actually having a breathing problem and it being covered.

idriveabox
02-14-2013, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
I have an English Bulldog.. no pallet surgery for him.

The best thing you can do is keep them in shape with regular exercise. If they really have a hard time breathing then do it. Stuff like this typically wouldnt be covered on insurance when its preventative, as opposed to your dog actually having a breathing problem and it being covered.

Agree. We got our pug as a rescue from NY state and keep her in good shape with quality food and exercise. Luckily she wasn't overweight to begin. She gets hot in the summer but definitely does not pass out or anything extreme. I would only do the surgery if necessary.

V6-BoI
02-14-2013, 02:07 PM
Yeah I kinda think if she absolutely doesn't need it then I don't want to do it. I took her out for a walk for like half an hour and she is fine, but to be fair, it's not 25 degrees out. The vet said she's starting to get kinda over weight (17 lbs at around 6 months old), so we are cutting back her food.

I've been looking on other pug/bulldog forums, and in the states this procedure would cost a few hundred bucks, opposed to what I was quoted :eek:

Here's a pic of her a couple months back

LowRiderHD2000
02-14-2013, 02:15 PM
Our pug is 3 years old and has not had the pallet surgery. He is pretty active for a pug and has had no real breathing problems. As mentioned earlier the most important thing you can do is keep the weight under control.

We have gone to pug meets with 50+ pugs. The only ones that really show any major health problems are the overweight pugs.

fiveowed
02-14-2013, 02:56 PM
FiLK7v6mWko

This is my sisters english bulldog I end up watching half the time. He snores like a train and they talked to the vet about the surgery but it doest really prolong their life.

slammedfc
02-14-2013, 04:19 PM
i was thinking about getting a bulldog, do both the american and english have the pallet problems?
Sorry for the thread jack op!

V6-BoI
02-14-2013, 04:28 PM
^^ No worries, I think all Bulldogs in general are prone to have this problem.

slammedfc
02-14-2013, 04:47 PM
ahh ok, the wife wants an english and i want an american haha, was hoping to hear that the americans were fine :P

R-Audi
02-14-2013, 05:30 PM
Americans should be WAY better, if they suffer from the breathing problem at all. They dont have the squashed face/nose that the English do that causes the problem.

xnvy
02-14-2013, 07:57 PM
My pug is 5 years old and was spayed but we did not get the pallet surgery done. She's healthy other than the occasional backwards sneezing fit.

Originally posted by LowRiderHD2000
We have gone to pug meets with 50+ pugs. :eek: Where?!? Please! :D

you&me
02-15-2013, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by slammedfc
i was thinking about getting a bulldog, do both the american and english have the pallet problems?
Sorry for the thread jack op!

We have a mini-bulldog. There's still lots of snoring / snorting, but they aren't as prone to the severe pallet issues that the more "normal" breeds are.

I would recommend that anyone considering a bulldog looks at the "minis". I'd describe the breed as a regular English Bulldog, but half the width (he still weighs ~45lbs) This allows them to be more playful / agile, and they're less prone to the eye / wrinkle / pallet / hip problems that usually plague the "regular" breeds.

R-Audi
02-15-2013, 09:27 AM
A mini at 45lbs? Thats more like a runt of a normal litter. My English BD is 50lbs, but on the skinny side. 45 doesnt seem that much smaller.
Any pictures?

Here's Chunk (Automotive themed too!)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8478/8250050033_c486e3e1a0.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/markgord/8250050033/)

JustinMCS
02-15-2013, 09:33 AM
Which surgery does she want to do? The nostril enlargement "stenotic nares", elongated soft palate, or windpipe enlargement "tracheal stenosis?"

I have a French Bulldog x Boston Terrier mix and luckily he seems fine, the vet commented that he has a good nose, back legs, etc.

He can exercise for days, but he does have the common breathing sounds, snorts, snoring as a brachycephalic (short nose) dog would. So it is hard to know if they NEED it or not.

My friend's pug had the surgery because he had breathing issues, was covered under health insurance. I am not sure if he NEEDED it or not. I would only do it if the dog NEEDED it, but it's hard to tell these days because so many vets are commission based.

JustinMCS
02-15-2013, 09:38 AM
Here is my dog, Bruce. He is large for his cross, weighing it at 33.4lbs.

slammedfc
02-15-2013, 10:53 AM
Americans should be WAY better, if they suffer from the breathing problem at all. They dont have the squashed face/nose that the English do that causes the problem.

awesome, i like the english but the americans are a bit leaner and more intimidationg. IMO

Black Gts
02-15-2013, 12:51 PM
I have 2 bostons, I cant help on breathing however they are very temp sensitive as well. Really gotta watch these breeds, plus my dogs wont stop playing and running.

you&me
02-15-2013, 01:28 PM
[B]A mini at 45lbs? Thats more like a runt of a normal litter. My English BD is 50lbs, but on the skinny side. 45 doesnt seem that much smaller.
Any pictures?

To be clear, the "mini" isn't even (yet) an officially recognized breed. Many breeders won't share how they get the smaller dogs, but it's commonly thought to at least include breeding "runts" to get the size down.

el-nino
02-15-2013, 02:46 PM
Ive had 3 British Bulldogs over the last 7 years. 2 of them have since passed. There passing had nothing to do with the breathing.
Frank died of Gastric Bloat. (4 years old)
Lola, we had to put down as her spine was severely mucked and she could no longer walk. (she was 7 at the time)
Now we are left with Frank. He is 4 years old and we do everything we can to prevent bloating and I no longer take him on exhausting walks.
Bulldogs in general have many problems but man do they make me smile :)

hedge
02-15-2013, 04:13 PM
we have a pug to and he's never had the surgery. We've never had a big problem in the summer, but we don't let him out in the bad heat. We always have a small pool for him to dip in to cool off as well, we even keep one in the RV.

I'd suggest maybe putting the $3k towards central air for your house.