PDA

View Full Version : Am I Crazy for Considering a Charger R/T AWD Over My Legacy GT?

freshprince1
02-14-2013, 11:29 PM
I love the Legacy. I'm spending a lot more time on the road for work these days. I like the menacing look of the new Charger R/T's, the HEMI would have more than enough power to make up for losing the turbo and upgrades, and the extra room for road trips would be nice.

So, how crazy am I? Anyone have experience? I would only switch for the R/T AWD Charger.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-14-2013, 11:35 PM
Someone on here switched from a STi hatch to a Charger AWD I think and he likes it.

Markll7
02-14-2013, 11:40 PM
Eh the current STi life cycle is almost at an end. If you can wait you can pick up the new one coming out either the end of this year or next year that'll have direct injection (similar to the BRZ and new turbo Forrester).

EK69
02-15-2013, 01:58 AM
Charger is roomy that's for sure
Trunk is also huge
And at that trim level I think interior gets pretty nice too
Test drive time :thumbsup:

I'm just going on aesthetics. No idea mechanically etc lol

Masked Bandit
02-15-2013, 08:21 AM
I'm a big fan of the new Charger R/T or the SRT trim. These are two very different cars though. If you're spending lots of time in the seat I can see why you would want something a little more roomy. If I could arrange it to get rid of my truck (tows travel trailer) the Charger would be the family car for me.

403Gemini
02-15-2013, 08:51 AM
You're not crazy at all. When my friends car was in an accident (He had a Mazda Speed6) he got a 300c as his rental. I had my subaru at that time and I made him drive me everywhere because I was blown away at how big and comfortable the interiors are on those cars.

I'd consider buying one down the road for sure :thumbsup:

Sugarphreak
02-15-2013, 08:58 AM

CanmoreOrLess
02-15-2013, 09:07 AM
^^^^^ Mercedes Benz has left the building ^^^^^^^

I have looked over the 2011-2012 model as far as reliability on various websites, looks fine as a newish car can.

I think you will miss the AWD in moving to a Mustang or *Charger R/T.

*Charger comes in AWD: http://www.dodge.com/en/2013/special-editions/

Aleks
02-15-2013, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Sure, if you don't value reliability :dunno:

He already drives a turbo Subaru so...:dunno:

bjstare
02-15-2013, 09:33 AM
Sure, if you don't value reliability :dunno:

This for sure.

Also, Chryslers being unreliable was around before Daimler ownership. It's way too early to tell what reliability will be like, post Daimler.

Or is it?

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/14/chrysler-recalling-278-222-trucks-and-suvs-over-bad-rear-axles/

Sugarphreak
02-15-2013, 09:57 AM

heavyD
02-15-2013, 10:24 AM
I can probably relate the most in that I've been primarily an import guy and out of the blue bought a 2012 Mustang GT. You are not crazy. The statement "there is no replacement for displacement" is 110% true. Anyone that considers themselves an automobile enthusiast should ensure that at some point in their life they own a high disiplacement RWD car.

I bounced in the span of 4 years from EVO X to Mustang to STI and the Mustang was by far the most fun car of the three. The ability instantly become 18 again and waste rubber at any time simply can't be replicated by an AWD car. I would strongly consider RWD over AWD unless you plan on taking the car on ski trips and a lot of out of town driving. Winter tires and traction control will be fine for winter driving in this city. AWD is great for grip but RWD is much more fun.

Bottom line is that the domestics aren't all that bad and they do some things better than the Japanese. If you feel comfortable I say do it. It's not like it's the last car you will ever own and variety is the spice of life. I'm slowly working my way through all the domestics (finished) and Japanese (only Nissan left and not thrilled about that brand) and my next stop if it isn't the next gen Mustang will be German.

jonnycat
02-15-2013, 10:30 AM
I made the switch from an STi to an AWD Charger RT. I still like it a lot. I don't think you would regret it at all. Way more gadgets, way more room, a lot more comfortable to be in for a long time.

The best part, is the AWD's have a fuse you can pull to disable the T/C, AWD, ESC for rwd shenanigans.

I've only done it twice, but it is nice to know you can do it at will.

On the hwy in summer i've gotten 8.9L / 100km, and I average about 12l/100kms in the winter and about 11L/100km in the summer.

heavyD
02-15-2013, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by jonnycat
I made the switch from an STi to an AWD Charger RT. I still like it a lot. I don't think you would regret it at all. Way more gadgets, way more room, a lot more comfortable to be in for a long time.

The best part, is the AWD's have a fuse you can pull to disable the T/C, AWD, ESC for rwd shenanigans.

On the hwy in summer i've gotten 8.9L / 100km, and I average about 12l/100kms in the winter and about 11L/100km in the summer.

You need to change your profile. It's just a little outdated.:)

jonnycat
02-15-2013, 10:42 AM
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/jonnycat69/IMG_00000051.jpg

AWD after some plasti dipping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBs-Sdt8tXE&list=UUJhS_yieU5HSdtSjVlBaT8A

Originally posted by heavyD

You need to change your profile. It's just a little outdated.:)

Lol I guess I do!

Aleks
02-15-2013, 11:05 AM

Still better than BMW, they are like Kia in the 90’s right now. I think both Audi and Mercedes have paid more attention to fixing their reliability issues though.

http://www.autospies.com/images/users/Agent009/main/2013%20VDS.JPG

PS. I'm on my 3rd E90 and all of them have been fine. Granted I don't usually keep my cars longer than a year or so haha. 335 has happily been running on a Dinan tune for close to a year and I drive it to work and back every day. You'd think by all the horror stories I'd be stranded out there daily :nut:

freshprince1
02-15-2013, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by jonnycat

Thanks for the imput guys. And thanks johnnycat, you're basically in the exact situation I am considering. Glad to know I'm not crazy for considering the switch. As stated, I'm on the road a lot for my job and something bigger, with AWD, and more comfortable is becoming very appealing.

I think it's test-drive time.

ps. that Charger looks sick!

jonnycat
02-15-2013, 11:22 AM
No problem at all and Thanks!

Sugarphreak
02-15-2013, 01:38 PM

Masked Bandit
02-15-2013, 03:36 PM

GM: Stranded 4 times, well over 20 shop visits for major warranty work for CV's, transfer case, fuel pump, solinoids, power steering, leaky seals... it just goes on and on. Only thing that has never failed me is the electrical (if you don't include the alternator).

What's the vehicle?

Sugarphreak
02-15-2013, 03:38 PM

tehwegz
02-16-2013, 07:22 PM
I would never drive a Dodge again. Drove a Nitro, awful. Drove a 2010 Avenger R/T briefly as a rent...what a POS. Felt like driving an SUV. Blind spots were ridiculous. CVT trans didn't let me do jack crap. I was a passenger in previous gen Charger, all float-boaty but tons of space in there.

Plenty of cars I would choose over any Dodge-dodge. The Viper doe...one can dream doe.

Graham_A_M
02-18-2013, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by tehwegz
Plenty of cars I would choose over any Dodge-dodge. The Viper doe...one can dream doe.

English, do you speak it?

jonnycat
02-25-2013, 11:26 AM
Did you take one out for a spin?