PDA

View Full Version : Oversized exhaust Tip laws (Alberta)

Hollywood
09-19-2002, 09:38 PM
So I just got in trouble for oversized exhaust tips on my car. The law is somethine like "If your exhaust tip size is larger than what it was when it was stock, it is illegal."

Any ways around this or for fighting this?

Ekliptix
09-19-2002, 09:42 PM
kick the cop in the nuts

Stratus_Power
09-19-2002, 09:45 PM
how much is the ticket?

max_boost
09-19-2002, 09:46 PM
oh man
buh_buh got one awhile back

rage2
09-19-2002, 10:06 PM
I think there's a maximum size like 3 inches or something. Has nothing to do with your stock size.

Hollywood
09-19-2002, 10:09 PM
I was told I had a warning, and that I had 1 week to change it or the next time he see's me he will tow my car and consider it non-road worthy.

He also said I was "marked" which means when ever a cop runs your plate a message about my exhaust comes up and it's an automatic reason to be pulled over.

BTW I have my silencers in so it's not loud at all.

Hollywood
09-19-2002, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by rage2
I think there's a maximum size like 3 inches or something. Has nothing to do with your stock size.

Not this one, he showed it to me in his law book.

Stratus_Power
09-19-2002, 10:16 PM
oh shit that sux.. how big is yours?? so u actually gonna chance it back to stock?

DSM Power
09-19-2002, 10:18 PM
Well that's a new one! How big are your tips?? (LOL). :nut:

[GaGe]
09-19-2002, 10:38 PM
I've never heard of this law before. How long has it been there for?

Ekliptix
09-19-2002, 10:45 PM
Mine's big. but it's like 1hp per cm right? so I can probably get away from a cop w/ my extra power.

;)

HOK
09-20-2002, 01:55 AM
shit... i have a four inch tip....

shadowz
09-20-2002, 02:09 AM
Ya its kinda shitty , I ve gotten 4 already

2000impreza
09-20-2002, 06:06 AM
i got one sometime last year.... not much you can do about it. the cop showed me his handbook too. it has in printing if your exhaust is modified in any way its illegal:nut:

a better solution would be to get something more stock looking. then you don't have to worry about it.

Stratus_Power
09-20-2002, 08:48 AM
so wat happened shawdowz? did they also said something like if they see u again they will take your car off the road?or just a ticket? how much?

Ralliart
09-20-2002, 01:35 PM
Sorry About the mess but here is a copy of the HWY traffic act regarding mufflers #3 is the one there catching you on.

Tecnically if you have a 3/4/5" exhaust from the manifold back it would not be ilegal, also if you have one of those exust tips that look like there 3-4" but have a stock sized outlet inside thats also not ilegal

but if you have a tip with a resonator on it that would be out because of #4

so whatever goes in to the muffler has to come out of it.

Hope this helps

Mufflers 56

(1) A motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine
must have an exhaust muffler that cools and expels the exhaust gases
from the engine without excessive noise and without producing
flames or sparks.

(2) A person shall not drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by
an internal combustion engine that has no muffler or if part of the
muffler is missing.

(3) A person shall not drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by
an internal combustion engine if the exhaust outlet of the muffler has
been opened or widened.

(4) A person shall not drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by
an internal combustion engine if a device is attached to the exhaust
system or the muffler that increases the noise made by the expulsion
of gases from the engine or allows a flame to be ignited from the
exhaust system.

(5) This section applies to a power bicycle that is propelled by an
internal combustion engine.

Hollywood
09-20-2002, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Ralliart
Sorry About the mess but here is a copy of the HWY traffic act regarding mufflers #3 is the one there catching you on.

Tecnically if you have a 3/4/5" exhaust from the manifold back it would not be ilegal, also if you have one of those exust tips that look like there 3-4" but have a stock sized outlet inside thats also not ilegal

but if you have a tip with a resonator on it that would be out because of #4

so whatever goes in to the muffler has to come out of it.

Hope this helps

Nice!

This is what I have; 3" downpipe with a 3" pipe that goes to a muffler then splits into to 2.5" side by side then ending with two polished 14" long tips 3" wide each. It's Called Greddy DD exhaust and was imported from Japan for use on silvias, direct bolt in. Oh ya I have 2 silencers same 14" long each, reduces the inside to 1.5" and noise levels by 40%.

What do you think? Also where does it say about the 3" stuff is ok?

RGAGT
09-21-2002, 01:04 AM
Well According to That they Should be ticketing Half the Cars in Calgary:D

Ed the SOHC
09-21-2002, 01:25 AM
I got an exhaust ticket last year, plus a ticket for not having an amber reflector in the front. :( :dunno:

kaput
09-21-2002, 11:04 AM

max_boost
09-21-2002, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Ed the SOHC
I got an exhaust ticket last year, plus a ticket for not having an amber reflector in the front. :( :dunno:

WEll Bob, your car is quite noticeable ya knowz:D

HOK
09-21-2002, 02:32 PM
i have 2.5 downpipe and 3inch after all the way to a 4 inch tip... no cats... am i ok? cause i have had plenty of cops follow me but they never do anything... also how the heck are they going to know what size of pipe you got under there...

boi-alien
09-21-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by HOK
i have 2.5 downpipe and 3inch after all the way to a 4 inch tip... no cats... am i ok? cause i have had plenty of cops follow me but they never do anything... also how the heck are they going to know what size of pipe you got under there...

nope you're not ok, it's illegal to remove your cat, it's there for environmental reasons, but since alberta doesn't have smog tests yet nobody will really know that you don't have a cat until they look under your car

2000impreza
09-21-2002, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by crxboi

nope you're not ok, it's illegal to remove your cat, it's there for environmental reasons, but since alberta doesn't have smog tests yet nobody will really know that you don't have a cat until they look under your car

where did you get this info from? because it is perfectly LEGAL to remove your cats in alberta..... i've asked the cops directly in the past. in BC its illegal.... but not alberta.

crxcel
09-22-2002, 01:15 AM
thats insane it has got to be illegal to remove your cat... youre polluting the world, and that has to be worse than a fat exhaust tip!!

HOK
09-22-2002, 02:26 AM
yup he's right... you can remove cats in alberta... but the smog test is coming... so... anyways...moot... but i'm referring to the tip issue.

2000impreza
09-22-2002, 02:29 AM
smog test is comming? is this for real?:confused:

HOK
09-22-2002, 02:31 AM
its what i heard...

kaput
09-22-2002, 10:50 AM

rice_eater
04-15-2003, 12:33 AM
it's illegal but it's not enforced! Most shops aren't overly excited to remove your cat and some flat out tell you to fuck off! When i got mine done the guy asked me if i wanted to pay cash and not get a receipt and save the gst...didnt have any so he put it on the bill as fixing some piping or something like that...and no you dont necesarily have to look under the car. You can just smell it! :thumbsup:

Someone please explain something to me...why would you get an exhaust with say a 4 inch tip and the inside is say 2??? THat's plain retarded since it's like almost stock size and all you get is mostly looks...but it seems that's the only thing people care about these days unfortunately :bullshit:

^SkylinE^
04-15-2003, 11:42 AM
I got pulled over infront of my byddies keg party last summer and got and oversized exhust ticket. All my buddies were running out from the back yard to check out what was going on with beers in there hands....FOols hahah!
Well it was a 70$ ticket and i was so pissed off!
Aslo my friend with a tight green four door accord had a office Hebert give him like 400$ worth of light and exhust tickets and said if we see you agian i will tow your car and impound it. HAHAH so a few weeks later we had just grabbed a movie from blook buster and same ass hole pulled us over and he towed us. I cought him for using some ilegal procedure and got alomost everything back I think it was like 700$ with impound and all. He didn't give us the option of towing it to the destination of our choice that was the technicality. Anyway Returned most of the car back to stock ......got the cop in shit...... and got a fake note saying we had put the exhust back to stock!!!!! Well you i hate cops!!! yet by girlfriends dad is a COP hahah!

SilverRex
04-15-2003, 04:47 PM
hmm this is pretty interesting, never thought about it.I always keeping thinking, 4" tip is ok.. only the cat stuff is illegal. I have my tanabe hyper medallion exhust for hmm like 5 months now. so far no tickets...

I wonder how long before I get one..

also.. how much is the ticket? 50? 100?

generation2
04-21-2003, 01:05 PM
calgary has some of the stupidest laws, it makes me wanna laugh, wtf , as long as it doesnt effect the way u drive (which it wont) then what the hell , it should be perfectly fine..