PDA

View Full Version : Vegas to Los Angeles/Beverly hills

403ep3
02-15-2013, 12:47 PM
I'm thinking about going over the long weekend from YYC to LAS to LAX

Looking at staying at the Wynn for 4 nights then driving/bus to Los Angeles. In Los Angeles we plan on going to Disney for a day and then Beverly Hills/rodeo drive/Hollywood for the other three days.

Any suggestions on how to get to lax and where I should stay?

Vegas: Wynn
Los Angeles: L'ermitage near Beverly Hills or Anaheim Marriott near Disneyland.

How much is this gonna cost me? Flight and hotel will probably be 1200ish

taemo
02-15-2013, 03:32 PM
so are you doing 4 days in Vegas and then 4 days in LA?
maybe call some rental company in Vegas and see how much to rent a vehicle and to drop it in LA.
The drive is fairly easy and smooth, about 4hours so it's not too bad.
My suggestion in LA is to maybe spend 1-2 nights by Anaheim since there's 2 parks in Disneyland, that way you can hit both parks.
Then maybe stay somewhere near West Hollywood/Santa Monica for the rest.

ercchry
02-15-2013, 03:53 PM
LA is like calgary... you need wheels. fox rent a car is your cheapest solution for pickup and drop off at different locations.

kids going, or no?

cali adventure is much more enjoyable than the original for adults. they have wine tasting and what not. knottsberry farm is WAY better than either for rides though

brucebanner
02-16-2013, 09:46 AM
Can't recommend a good place to stay but I flew from Vegas to LA for $120 or so tax in and that's including upgrading a class. Like someone else said though, LA is widespread so having a vehicle would be much better than not.

88CRX
02-16-2013, 10:43 AM
I flew from la to Vegas for $89. Way better than driving.

You definitely need a car.

We stayed at some older hotel near ucla but it wasn't anything special, plus we were trying to save some money but it was clean, safe and free parking. It was also central-ish to everywhere we went (universal, Hollywood, rodeo, Santa Monica). Next time I would stay out near Santa monica, lots of stuff going on out there.

403ep3
02-16-2013, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by taemo
so are you doing 4 days in Vegas and then 4 days in LA?
maybe call some rental company in Vegas and see how much to rent a vehicle and to drop it in LA.
The drive is fairly easy and smooth, about 4hours so it's not too bad.
My suggestion in LA is to maybe spend 1-2 nights by Anaheim since there's 2 parks in Disneyland, that way you can hit both parks.
Then maybe stay somewhere near West Hollywood/Santa Monica for the rest.

We plan on leaving on June 30 and checking out July 4th from Las Vegas. After some thought we might take a look at hitting both parks, one each day.

We changed our minds and are looking to stay at Howard Johnson Anaheim because its so close to the park.

Originally posted by ercchry
LA is like calgary... you need wheels. fox rent a car is your cheapest solution for pickup and drop off at different locations.

kids going, or no?

cali adventure is much more enjoyable than the original for adults. they have wine tasting and what not. knottsberry farm is WAY better than either for rides though

We are only there for a couple days so I'm not sure if having a car is worth it, especially if their parking fees are as outrageous like calgary. I'm just going with my gf.

Originally posted by bruceod
Can't recommend a good place to stay but I flew from Vegas to LA for $120 or so tax in and that's including upgrading a class. Like someone else said though, LA is widespread so having a vehicle would be much better than not.

I saw the prices for flight and they are quite high right now so maybe that might be a last minute deal. We are looking at taking a LUXBUSUSA ride which is only $69 and the terminal is a 15minute walk or a 5 minute cab.

Originally posted by 88CRX
I flew from la to Vegas for $89. Way better than driving.

You definitely need a car.

We stayed at some older hotel near ucla but it wasn't anything special, plus we were trying to save some money but it was clean, safe and free parking. It was also central-ish to everywhere we went (universal, Hollywood, rodeo, Santa Monica). Next time I would stay out near Santa monica, lots of stuff going on out there.

I really wanna hit up the hollywood or beverly hills area just to say I was there.

Any suggestions on what to see? Other than Disney, California Adventure, and Knottsberry, do you think tours like Seaworld, Legoland, and etc are worth the money and drive?

I'm 25 and have never been to disney so I'm going there before I get too old and won't enjoy as much when I have kids :thumbsup:

taemo
02-18-2013, 11:40 AM
check this thread out
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/327646/a-californians-guide-to-southern-california/

Seaworld is 2 hours drive south from LA as it's in San Diego, I wouldn't recommend it on a 4 days SoCal trip.

from my experience, here's my top recommendations
Universal Studios
hit up Venice Beach, Santa Monica and watch the Sunset.
go get take a picture with the Hollywood sign
Hollywood Hills is a great spot to look at LA at night or sunrise
Walk of Fame
Rodeo Drive
Chinatown
Malibu
take your gf to The Grove for some shopping
drive along Beverly Hills/Bel Air and see the crazy baller houses

never been to but always wanted to check out are Redondo and Long Beach

403ep3
03-01-2013, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the info Taemo.

Instead of taking the bus we decided to just take a car fro LA to LV.

Any suggestions on rental car companies to use? All I need is a small car to fit a few pieces of luggage.

I took a look at alamo and they are about ~90. Anywhere cheaper?

ercchry
03-01-2013, 11:58 AM
drop off in a different city? none beat fox

403ep3
03-01-2013, 12:19 PM
Nissan Versa (or similar)

1 Day(s) @90.00

$90.00

Sales Tax (8.0%)

$6.48

UNLIMITED MILEAGE

INCLUDED

Total Savings

$-9.00

Estimated Total
$8748Approx $90.10 CAD.
Pick-up LocationEdit

Anaheim W KatellaAnaheim, CA92802US
Return LocationEdit

Las Vegas Intl ArptLas Vegas, NV89119US

DatesEdit

Mon, Jul 01, 2013 08:00 AM
Mon, Jul 01, 2013 02:00 PM

I was able to find this deal and it seems like there isn't an inter-city fee attached.

With more research I also found this: http://www.alamo.nl/pdf/Drop-off%20sheet%20USA%20-%20Canada%20NL.pdf

It outlines that LAS to LAX has no drop off fee.

cet
03-01-2013, 12:36 PM
Are you just planning on renting a car for the trip from Vegas to LA or keeping it the whole time you're in LA?

Last time I was in LA we stayed across from Disney for 4 days and did both parks on a 3 day pass. We then rented a car and moved hotels to Santa Monica and based ourselves out of there to tour around LA. As others have said you really need a car to explore LA.

You could think about driving to LA and staying around Hollywood/Santamonica first and keeping the car. Then travel to Anaheim, drop the car off and end your trip at Disney. You can grab a shuttle from Disney back to the airport.

403ep3
03-01-2013, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by cet
Are you just planning on renting a car for the trip from Vegas to LA or keeping it the whole time you're in LA?

Last time I was in LA we stayed across from Disney for 4 days and did both parks on a 3 day pass. We then rented a car and moved hotels to Santa Monica and based ourselves out of there to tour around LA. As others have said you really need a car to explore LA.

You could think about driving to LA and staying around Hollywood/Santamonica first and keeping the car. Then travel to Anaheim, drop the car off and end your trip at Disney. You can grab a shuttle from Disney back to the airport.

We don't really plan on doing that much in LA. We are really only there for two full days where we are going to go to disneyland one day and California Adventure the other.

The reason why we are going to LA first is because we will be exhausted walking around the park and we plan on going full out with the pool and massages when we arrive in vegas. Pretty much be a kid for a couple days and then become an adult for 5!

cet
03-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Sorry, I miss understood - I thought you were going to Vegas first and then LA. That should be no problem. I love Disneyland. Im in my late 30's and cant wait to take my daughter when she's old enough.

ercchry
03-01-2013, 12:45 PM
wow, its been a couple years since i did a similar trip.. fox's drop off rate sky rocketed :nut:

$90 is a steal