PDA

View Full Version : Tiramisu

supe
02-15-2013, 03:06 PM
Where can I get the best tiramisu in the city?

Thanks!

Markll7
02-15-2013, 03:13 PM
Costco

ExtraSlow
02-15-2013, 03:13 PM
Not super hard to make your own. I use the recipie off the cooking for engineers website. Always comes out better than anything I've been aboue to buy.

Plus, bitches love a guy who can make desserts.

taemo
02-15-2013, 03:14 PM
secret to really good tiramisu is to use lady finger cookies and mascarpone cheese and IMO nothing beats homemade tiramisu.
You can easily do 2 pans for around $25 and since there's no baking involved, it takes only 20-30min to make tiramisu.
if you buy mascarpone cheese, on the back of the lid, there's actually a recipe on how to make tiramisu and it's quite close to my mom's recipe

but otherwise La Brezza restaurant makes some good tiramisu, I heard Amandine in Center St makes some good ones as well but never tried it.

Mibz
02-15-2013, 03:28 PM
You're gonna get a ton of different answers here.

The only bad tiramisu I've had was from M&M. All other grocery store and restaurant tiramisus have been good. Hell, even the beeramisu at Craft is delicious.

EDIT: I can't believe I've never had homemade. Huh.

taemo
02-15-2013, 03:39 PM
^yeah, it's very easy to make, that way you get to decide how thick the layers are, what coffee to use, what liquor to use

trieu
02-15-2013, 11:12 PM
I liked the one at Famoso

Kritafo
02-15-2013, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Not super hard to make your own. I use the recipie off the cooking for engineers website. Always comes out better than anything I've been aboue to buy.

Plus, bitches love a guy who can make desserts.

So very true on the guys who can make desserts. It is super easy to make, I love mine with Frangelico

frozenrice
02-16-2013, 12:16 PM
We usually get ours from the bakery at Sunterra Market in Signal Hill. Not having been to the other Sunterras, I can only vouch for this one.

loft_man
02-16-2013, 01:21 PM
La Cantina in Bridgeland. So Good!

There is a Living Social coupon for this place right now.

http://www.livingsocial.com/deals/600456?rpi=105054254&ref=personalized-link-box-105054254&rui=46750549

cancer man
02-17-2013, 10:01 AM
Costco has a good one and you can re-use the container.

AndyL
02-17-2013, 10:17 AM
European bakery - crap what's the name, in the strip mall north of tuxedo cycle on center street north... (we actually had the tiramisu as our wedding cake)

there's an eyetalian restaurant in Kensington too - its Omfg :drool:

swak
02-17-2013, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
European bakery - crap what's the name, in the strip mall north of tuxedo cycle on center street north... (we actually had the tiramisu as our wedding cake)

there's an eyetalian restaurant in Kensington too - its Omfg :drool:

Amandine!!!

SOOO GOOD. :angel:

AndyL
02-17-2013, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by swak

Amandine!!!

too many paint fumes today ;) yup that's the one!

mmm barvarian cream, I wonder if they're open Monday....

swak
02-17-2013, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by AndyL

too many paint fumes today ;) yup that's the one!

mmm barvarian cream, I wonder if they're open Monday....

haha... one of my pet peeves of this place... They're never open mondays! :whipped:

They have the best clubhouse sandwiches (well, theyre subs)... They throw an egg on there... Fresh bread... F-ing amazing!

Got Tiramisu at safeway the other night - everywhere else was closed...
WORST tiramisu ever.
Save yourself the troubles. Buy a twix instead :barf:

Isaiah
03-23-2013, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the suggestions fellas; made this baby for dessert last night and it was spectacular. You can play around with the liqueurs in it to modify the taste a bit; I blended about a 1/4 oz each of Drambuie, Grand Marnier, Kahlua, and Disaronno and it turned out super premium deluxe.

A few tips if you're planning on trying it out at home:

1. Don't use regular store-bought lady fingers. Go to Lina's or another Italian supermarket and get the real deal. I used Safeway ones last time and no good; not to mention that you don't get enough in the package for a full Tiramisu.

2. The typical Marscapone container is also just over 1/2 of what the recipes call for. You'll need two if you're using the standard 250 ml containers.

3. Ensure you give yourself at least 2-3 hours to chill it before serving.

4. There are 2 basic variations of the recipe - one with raw eggs and the other with whipping cream. I tried the one with whipping cream since there is no baking involved and I wasn't convinced about the raw eggs.

5. Play around with your sweeter liqueurs and you may be pleasantly surprised.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/cabriochico/Photo2013-03-22112531PM_zpsec30b165.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/cabriochico/Photo2013-03-2332651PM_zpsc736b45f.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/cabriochico/Photo2013-03-22112605PM_zpsfda6b70d.jpg

str8jkt
03-28-2013, 02:53 PM
Famoso imports their from Italy. It was pretty damn good when I tried a bite of someones last time we were there...

Disoblige
03-28-2013, 03:06 PM
Rea's Tiramisu so fresh and soft, I like it.
Mercato is nice too, more liqueur flavor though.

taemo
03-28-2013, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah
Thanks for the suggestions fellas; made this baby for dessert last night and it was spectacular. You can play around with the liqueurs in it to modify the taste a bit; I blended about a 1/4 oz each of Drambuie, Grand Marnier, Kahlua, and Disaronno and it turned out super premium deluxe.

1. Don't use regular store-bought lady fingers. Go to Lina's or another Italian supermarket and get the real deal. I used Safeway ones last time and no good; not to mention that you don't get enough in the package for a full Tiramisu.

2. The typical Marscapone container is also just over 1/2 of what the recipes call for. You'll need two if you're using the standard 250 ml containers.

4. There are 2 basic variations of the recipe - one with raw eggs and the other with whipping cream. I tried the one with whipping cream since there is no baking involved and I wasn't convinced about the raw eggs.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/cabriochico/Photo2013-03-22112531PM_zpsec30b165.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/cabriochico/Photo2013-03-2332651PM_zpsc736b45f.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/cabriochico/Photo2013-03-22112605PM_zpsfda6b70d.jpg

that turned out great!
great tips on mixing liqueur.
500g Mascarpone should allow you to make 2 of those pans but I guess it depends on how much mascarpone you want to put and how many layers. I usually go 3 layers of lady fingers.

when I'm in the mood of making tiramisu, I buy 3-4 packs of lady fingers,2 500g Mascarpone cheese and a dozen of eggs.
and usually I get 4 pans done and a small plate for me to enjoy right away.

Beaze
03-30-2013, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige
Rea's Tiramisu so fresh and soft, I like it.
Mercato is nice too, more liqueur flavor though.

Mercato sells their tiramisu in the market frozen. If you're lazy its a good dinner dessert or pot luck dish.

bh87
07-15-2013, 03:43 PM
+1 for amandine.

Also, Lina's has ready to go Tiramisu that is delicious!

Just came back from Las Vegas and had the best Tiramisu I've ever tasted at Carmine's Restaurant in Caesers Forum Shops. I will definitly go back there again! We were there on Saturday for their soft opening so the food and non-alcholic beverages were on the house!

boarderfatty
07-15-2013, 11:08 PM
We have an awesome Italian Restaurant here called Tasty Tomato. Their Taramisu is not on the menu but the owners wife makes 1 pan a day using authentic Italian cream and lady fingers she makes fresh every morning. It is unreal, even making my own using ingredients from the Italian Bakery doesn't compare.

Teknix
07-18-2013, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by swak

Amandine!!!

+3 for Amandine!!

I read this thread in the morning and Went to grab a slice on my way home. They were out of slices so I bought a whole cake. HAHA! So yummy!

Thanks for the craving OP.

JordanEG6
10-23-2013, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Isaiah
[B]Thanks for the suggestions fellas; made this baby for dessert last night and it was spectacular. You can play around with the liqueurs in it to modify the taste a bit; I blended about a 1/4 oz each of Drambuie, Grand Marnier, Kahlua, and Disaronno and it turned out super premium deluxe.

Looks and sounds great! Do you have a specific recipe or step-by-step guide line on making your own that you'd like to share? I'd like to try this out at home! PM me if needed :)

ExtraSlow
10-23-2013, 11:46 AM
when I make Tiramisu, I use the recipie from cookingforengineers, one of my favourite sites.
Cooking for Engineers - Simple Tiramisu (http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/26/Simple-Tiramisu)

I don't find this too much of a hassle, and it's been a huge hit anywhere I've taken it.
I do use the prepackaged ladyfingers (bought from linas, but prepackaged), and I try not to soak them much at all. If you are chilling overnight, it doesn't matter if the lady fingers start a touch crispy, as they will soften up in the pan. I don't like a particularly strong coffee flavour, your preference may vary.

JordanEG6
10-23-2013, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
when I make Tiramisu, I use the recipie from cookingforengineers, one of my favourite sites.
Cooking for Engineers - Simple Tiramisu (http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/26/Simple-Tiramisu)

I don't find this too much of a hassle, and it's been a huge hit anywhere I've taken it.
I do use the prepackaged ladyfingers (bought from linas, but prepackaged), and I try not to soak them much at all. If you are chilling overnight, it doesn't matter if the lady fingers start a touch crispy, as they will soften up in the pan. I don't like a particularly strong coffee flavour, your preference may vary.

Nice! I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the link.

jacky4566
10-23-2013, 12:01 PM
Pulcinella in Kengsinton has some really good stuff. Larger serving too.