PDA

View Full Version : Spike TV leaving Telus Optik

Kloubek
02-17-2013, 02:45 PM
So I got an email a couple of days ago telling me that Telus could not reach an agreement with Spike, and they are dropping it from their channel lineup shortly.

I fucking love this channel. Their little promo clips with guns, women, mma and cars is exactly what this channel is all about and as such is very likely my favourite channel of all time. It also happens to be contained in a channel package that includes other channels I tend to watch quite a bit.

So first, I just wanted to say this sucks.

Second, can Telus just remove channels like that? I signed up for a contract and I imagine I can't just get out of it if *I* feel like it.

Any chance I can a discount due to this? (My viewing time is likely to be reduced by 15-20% now) Anyone know the retention number?

revelations
02-17-2013, 03:31 PM
Why did you sign a contract? I've never done one with Telus, always month-month.

Retentions wont help except tell you how you can lose money by cancelling now.

bmeier
02-17-2013, 05:05 PM
When you signed a contract you got a free tablet or something?

What does it say in the terms of service regarding rate changes or programming changes?

Kloubek
02-17-2013, 05:11 PM
Yeah, we got a free notebook when we signed up.

Not sure I still have the contract lying around. I mean, you're committed to it regardless right?

So let's see.... and take it to the extreme. Telus decides they no longer want to carry any more then 3 channels. They get rid of them all and those who paid for some 50-100 channels are just out of luck? Something doesn't seem right here. They shouldn't be able to just pick and choose what they provide customers after signing them into a contract.

bmeier
02-17-2013, 05:26 PM
I think you can get it out of the contract by returning (unlikely) or paying the balance of the free notebook you received. The problem is those things were drastically over valued and paying it out would likely not be real cheap

revelations
02-17-2013, 07:12 PM
Youd have to read the terms of the contract.
But from what I understand, they write them pretty much so that they can do anything short of murder.

If youre month-month, they are MUCH more willing to accommodate.

When I got my intenet through them, they fucked up so bad (long story) that they gave me high speed (20mbs) internet for 20$ a month for 12 months and the first month free because I complained (but not whined) and threatened to cancel.

Cos
02-24-2013, 08:54 PM

R!zz0
03-05-2013, 03:23 PM
Look for a new area in Calgary where there is no Telus. My Parents live in Skyview and their area has no Telus just Shaw. So if you really wanna get out, that would be the best way.

eblend
03-05-2013, 08:52 PM
No HD no care. I have optik and the only thing I ever found mildly amuzing was crazy something something on wheels, where its just a bunch of youtube videos of stupid shit people do on wheels..saved the the trouble of watching it on youtube, as HD really didn't matter for shitty ass quality videos

eblend
03-15-2013, 06:03 AM
Just got an email from telus...and an agreement has been reached with spike, and the service will continue unchanged.

CapnCrunch
03-20-2013, 11:46 AM
I don't watch spike, mostly because of it's 50-50 commercial to program ratio during movies. It's brutal. And 90% of the commercials are commercials for spike? WTF? :rofl:

Kloubek
03-20-2013, 12:14 PM
With so much American programming available, I'm prettty much used to the volume of commercials. Plus if I really want I can PRV it.

All I know is I'm going to be able to continue to see if a vampire could kick a zombie's ass or if Gengis Khan could kill Hannibal. These are the kinds of wonderful things you learn when watching Spike....