PDA

View Full Version : Fixing/restoring pocket watches?

woodywoodford
02-17-2013, 03:46 PM
Just wondering what the cost looks like to fix an old pocket watch. My dad just gave me his dads old Eaton, probably from the 30's but I really don't know. It doesn't work, is missing the second hand, glass is yellowed and there's a small chunk missing from the face. Anybody have any idea what that would cost/who does good fixes?

woodywoodford
02-17-2013, 03:51 PM
Also where can I find more info about it? Serial is 5413484, has 15 gems, threaded back plate, Swiss movement... I can't seem to find anything about it.

Graham_A_M
02-17-2013, 09:10 PM
PM'ed. My best friend is a watch maker for Rolex (one of two Rolex certified watch techs/makers in Canada.) I'll PM you his info.

woodywoodford
02-18-2013, 05:33 PM
Thanks, I'll reach out to him this week. After some googling I'm afraid it's going to be ridiculously pricey for a watch that isn't really worth anything... hah

Graham_A_M
02-18-2013, 09:04 PM
^ No, not necessarily. He just fixed a european clock from the late 1800's recently (you CANT find parts for that, no matter what). Even though he had to make parts for it, it wasn't nearly that much that most others would charge. Cool part is, if its repairable, he can do it. He can do a lot of shit that most watch techs would just throw their arms up on.

Dont get me wrong, some seriously vintage watches are just too far gone, but thats a rarity.