PDA

View Full Version : 4 Stroke Engine Rebuilders Here???

2BLUE
02-17-2013, 07:49 PM
I am looking for advice on either someone on here that can rebuild a Kawasaki Teryx motor (750cc) or somewhere that can.

Most shops seem to be car related not ATV.

Any help would be great as my machine is dead in my garage.

gram
02-17-2013, 08:02 PM
http://wbmengines.com/?page_id=14

Cheapest way to go about it. Rebuilds are generally done with crappy aftermarket parts by other companies. Good luck either way.

2BLUE
02-17-2013, 08:03 PM
These guys aren't local, Im looking for local.

Graham_A_M
02-17-2013, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by gram
http://wbmengines.com/?page_id=14

Cheapest way to go about it. Rebuilds are generally done with crappy aftermarket parts by other companies. Good luck either way. After you work out shipping there and back, those guys are far from cheap.

Get Redline motorsport to do it.
http://www.redlinecalgary.com/

They mainly do motorcycle engines, but the engine for your ATV/UTV isn't much different at all.
They really know WTF their doing as well, so if you wanted any performance parts (such as big bore kits) put in during the rebuild, they can certainly do that for you as well.

Much the same with the "Old motorcycle shop". They only charge $75/hr and their techs really know their stuff as well.
http://www.oldmotorcycleshop.com/

I deal with both shops whenever I have ATV/motorcycle related issues that I cant deal with myself for whatever reason.

If I were you, I'd highly recommend getting it done ASAP. Since its their off season right now, so you can get it done pretty much as soon as you can drop it off. If you wait until the spring, you'll have a long line up of people also wanting to get their stuff serviced at the same time.

revelations
02-17-2013, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
After you work out shipping there and back, those guys are far from cheap.

Get Redline motorsport to do it.
http://www.redlinecalgary.com/

If I were you, I'd highly recommend getting it done ASAP. Since its their off season right now, so you can get it done pretty much as soon as you can drop it off. If you wait until the spring, you'll have a long line up of people also wanting to get their stuff serviced at the same time.

:werd:

Maxx Mazda
02-17-2013, 09:06 PM
I've done lots of rebuilds for people, both two stroke and four. PM me for details, I can provide build logs and pics for everything.

2BLUE
02-17-2013, 09:33 PM
PM'D

MrSector9
02-17-2013, 10:23 PM
I can do it as well, I was trained by Kawi :P

I built an assload of 750/650 kawi motors

If you get someone else to do it, make sure they have at least the section of the owners manual on timing them because if they never done them before you have to line the marks up in a cetain order that in all honesty does not make sense.

M.alex
02-18-2013, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by MrSector9
I can do it as well, I was trained by Kawi :P

I built an assload of 750/650 kawi motors

If you get someone else to do it, make sure they have at least the section of the owners manual on timing them because if they never done them before you have to line the marks up in a cetain order that in all honesty does not make sense.

Kawasaki motor question time then - I have a John Deere GT275 lawn tractor w/ a kawi engine. One day when it gives up I plan to get it rebuilt (not buying a POS modern-day tractor) .... is it possible to mod it (e.g., bore/stroke) to make more torque during the rebuild?

I knows nothing about lawn tractor engines :(

MrSector9
02-18-2013, 02:34 AM
I wil not say there isnt, however it would be much cheaper to go with a brigg's or kohler v-twin engine, just have to make sure the shaft diameter/length is the same, as most of the engines even use the same mount holes. For the most part though it would be a drop in and only take a couple of hours, compared to alot more to rebuild/hop up an engine that even if you got %50 more power would be t the output of a v-twin

With the kawi engine from what I see they do not even offer an oversize piston kit for it, to stroke it you would have to know of a rod from another model/make that would fit/work.

Here is an example of what I mean. that would end up giving you 8 more horse haha, once you figure labour/parts to rebuild this is a wayyy better deal.
http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/441777-JD275-R1.html?sc=17&category=1709244

M.alex
02-18-2013, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by MrSector9
I wil not say there isnt, however it would be much cheaper to go with a brigg's or kohler v-twin engine, just have to make sure the shaft diameter/length is the same, as most of the engines even use the same mount holes. For the most part though it would be a drop in and only take a couple of hours, compared to alot more to rebuild/hop up an engine that even if you got %50 more power would be t the output of a v-twin

With the kawi engine from what I see they do not even offer an oversize piston kit for it, to stroke it you would have to know of a rod from another model/make that would fit/work.

Here is an example of what I mean. that would end up giving you 8 more horse haha, once you figure labour/parts to rebuild this is a wayyy better deal.
http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/441777-JD275-R1.html?sc=17&category=1709244

I remember reading at one point though that the problem with other engines like b&s, is that even though they made more hp, they made less tq, so ended up being slower?

Although at this point I suppose it'd probably be better to stick a SBC into it and call it a day :rofl:

Graham_A_M
02-18-2013, 02:55 PM
^ I wouldn't touch anything by B & S with a 10 foot pole. I remember when I was 8, we had a push mower engine with a bent shaft, so I took it all apart hoping to help my dad re-bend it in our press. Upon taking it apart I noticed the cam gear & cam lobes were made of plastic. Its like..... wow really? :nut:
That engine redefined cheaply built.
For small engines, Kohler, Suburu, Kawasaki & Honda are the only brands I'll deal with.

Onan made a wicked engine, but they were sold to Linemar. (absolute crap). The Onan V-twin 18hp we have in our Case garden tractor still works awesome today, 31 years later. The 24hp Linemar engines we use on our grain augers are perhaps 4 years old, and both need replacing. :rolleyes: For $2300/engine thats unacceptable.... like Im sorry but... each engine has perhaps 300 hours on it.

M.alex
02-18-2013, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ I wouldn't touch anything by B & S with a 10 foot pole. I remember when I was 8, we had a push mower engine with a bent shaft, so I took it all apart hoping to help my dad re-bend it in our press. Upon taking it apart I noticed the cam gear & cam lobes were made of plastic. Its like..... wow really? :nut:
That engine redefined cheaply built.
For small engines, Kohler, Suburu, Kawasaki & Honda are the only brands I'll deal with.

Onan made a wicked engine, but they were sold to Linemar. (absolute crap). The Onan V-twin 18hp we have in our Case garden tractor still works awesome today, 31 years later. The 24hp Linemar engines we use on our grain augers are perhaps 4 years old, and both need replacing. :rolleyes: For $2300/engine thats unacceptable.... like Im sorry but... each engine has perhaps 300 hour models on it.

I think though "a lot" of small engine manufacturers are using plastic pieces (e.g., cam gear) now. I know several JD models had plastic ones (which really pissed people off)

Graham_A_M
02-18-2013, 03:29 PM
^ Perhaps. I haven't taken any more modern ones apart asides from the Linemar's, but for the older Kohler's, Honda's Onans & Kawi's, they were made properly. :dunno:

2BLUE
02-18-2013, 10:41 PM
Trying to get all this figured out, I hate PM-ing.

Don't people use phones anymore....:dunno:

MrSector9
02-19-2013, 11:59 PM
Honda small engine is belt driven plastic single lobe cam. Out of the thousands of small engines I have worked on I have rarely seen a cam "manufacturer defect fail" in anything... I have seen them fail.. from over rev/lack of oil/hydraulic lock/etc.

the old saying is true, you get what you pay for (with some exceptions) b&s is at the lower eng, not a refined, noisier.. price goes up form there.