PDA

View Full Version : Cruise up the Montana 37

Thaco
02-19-2013, 08:15 AM
Very nice drive from libby to Eureka, sped up 5x because nobody wants to see it real time :D

Speed limit was 70MPH, but it wasn't often I could get up to the limit, with all the twists and turns, a loaded car and winter wheels/tires, but it was still a really nice drive.

dB80xyoo-Rk

e.widling
02-19-2013, 01:17 PM
That looks awesome! I drove YYC -> Vegas and back and one of my favourite roads was the "Scenic Route 93" in Idaho, coming up from Craters of the Moon just south of Salmon and the border to Montana.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=44.767212,-113.921356&spn=0.208163,0.528374&t=m&z=12

It's funny how the instant you cross the border back into Canada everything is so boring. I wish we had roads like they have in the states. Arches national park and the road to Horseshoe Canyon (Tanner Foust drifts it in a mustang in TopGear US) are crazy fun too.

Graham_A_M
02-19-2013, 07:59 PM
Yeah I was on that highway coming back up through Fernie/Sparwood (long story).

Im glad Im not the only one that thought those speed limits were crazy. Out here you're stuck doing 50 in an area where 80 is perfectly safe..... down there the speed limit is 80 where doing 50 should be the safe limit.

:rofl:

I remember thinking to myself.... "what crazy fool would actually speed on these nutty roads?"

rage2
02-19-2013, 08:33 PM
Montana has so many hidden gems, everything from roads tempting you to do Autobahn speed runs, to twisties that really test your driving skills. The only problem is that if you suffer a breakdown or a flat, you're screwed, half the back highways have zero cell reception, and you can sit for hours before someone drives by haha.

Crazy how Montana has a lower population than Calgary, which means tons of roads that are never patrolled. Ever. There are roads where you can cruise at 250km/h for hours without seeing another car. I've done the Calgary to Mt Rushmore route 2 or 3 times now, shortcutting on the 212 through Wyoming, and I pass maybe 2 cars over 300km at top speed lol. Good times.