PDA

View Full Version : Trying to work the upper body without boredom.

Seth1968
02-19-2013, 01:36 PM
Hello.

I'm 6 ft / 175 lbs, and want to increase muscle mass and definition in my upper body (including abs). I'm not concerned about my legs as I walk and bike a lot.

I started the upper body workouts about 2 weeks ago, but found I was getting really bored, so I'm now just doing those workouts while watching movies:D , and that took care of the boredom.

I basically sit on a stool in front of my tv, and using dumbbells with various movements, work my biceps, triceps, and shoulders.

2 questions:

1) Should I incorporate push ups, and how important are push ups for working the abs?

2) I'm working my abs by shoving my feet under the clearance of my tv stand and doing standard sit ups. Will that suffice?

EDIT: Best pec exercise?

austic
02-19-2013, 01:44 PM
You lost me at I'm not concerned about legs........
But yes push-ups are important and no they are really only work your abs a bit due to you being in a plank position.
What sort of equipment do you have access to? This will influence what you can do

skandalouz_08
02-19-2013, 01:51 PM
Pushups are great for upper body. They are also great for pecs, although as stated above don't do a lot for abs.

Try doing incline/decline pushups or switch stances (wide arm, military, diamond, etc.). Look up pushup forms online, there are many different ways to switch it up.

For abs try the abripper-x dvd or again look online. There are way more ways to work abs than just your standard sit-up. There are more muscle groups to abs than just a sit up.

403ep3
02-19-2013, 01:52 PM
How often do you 'walk' and ride your 'bike'? I wouldn't neglect your legs at all!

It seems like you're doing most of your workouts at home. Try to incorporate bodyweight workouts. As for your sit-ups, try doing them without having any weight on your feet or legs. They are harder but will help strengthen your core A LOT more.

Seth1968
02-19-2013, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by austic
You lost me at I'm not concerned about legs........
But yes push-ups are important and no they are really only work your abs a bit due to you being in a plank position.
What sort of equipment do you have access to? This will influence what you can do

I'm using 10 lb dumbbells, but I just bought one of these:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/319xfia8GEL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

If that didn't embed: http://www.google.com/imgres?q=apex+power+tower&hl=en&sa=X&rlz=1T4GGHP_en-GBCA523CA523&biw=1280&bih=572&tbm=isch&tbnid=9o9_ZLiQNc4FtM:&imgrefurl=http://www.amazon.com/Apex-TC1800-Power-Tower/dp/B002KV37B6&docid=poKx1ySj1oHkdM&imgurl=http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/319xfia8GEL._SL500_SS500_.jpg&w=500&h=500&ei=ztcjUYOvJIjDiwK49oCwAg&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=583&sig=106454613758505152732&page=1&tbnh=136&tbnw=139&start=0&ndsp=26&ved=1t:429,i:114&tx=80&ty=60

403ep3
02-19-2013, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968

I'm using 10 lb dumbbells, but I just bought one of these:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/319xfia8GEL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

If that didn't embed: http://www.google.com/imgres?q=apex+power+tower&hl=en&sa=X&rlz=1T4GGHP_en-GBCA523CA523&biw=1280&bih=572&tbm=isch&tbnid=9o9_ZLiQNc4FtM:&imgrefurl=http://www.amazon.com/Apex-TC1800-Power-Tower/dp/B002KV37B6&docid=poKx1ySj1oHkdM&imgurl=http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/319xfia8GEL._SL500_SS500_.jpg&w=500&h=500&ei=ztcjUYOvJIjDiwK49oCwAg&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=583&sig=106454613758505152732&page=1&tbnh=136&tbnw=139&start=0&ndsp=26&ved=1t:429,i:114&tx=80&ty=60

Try doing some pull ups then

Seth1968
02-19-2013, 01:58 PM
I wasn't expecting so many replies so quick. Thanks!

Given the advice, push ups are in.

I'm sure you guys are right about not neglecting the legs, but for now, I'll just clear up the upper body questions.

I'll back off for a while until the replies die out a bit and I can digest it all.

Oh ya, I work out at home.

AudiPWR
02-19-2013, 02:05 PM
Pull ups, dips, leg raises.. buy yourself a weight belt and a couple 5-10lb weights. Challenge yourself and keep adding weight to your dips/pullups.

austic
02-19-2013, 02:13 PM
Upper Body Pull ups using different grips, push ups, dips etc
Lower: air squats, pistol squats etc

Abs: sit ups, knee raises in the roman chair, hanging knees to elbows, toes to bar etc

403ep3
02-19-2013, 03:36 PM
Upsidedown pushups are fun too.

Abripper-X will make you work yourself for the first couple of months. Try it!

EK69
02-20-2013, 04:03 AM
im thinking you will get more benefit from body weight exercises than those 10 lbs dumb bells at your height and weight :nut:

zipdoa
02-20-2013, 09:00 AM
Hello.

found I was getting really bored , so I'm now just doing those workouts while watching movies:D , and that took care of the boredom.

I basically sit on a stool in front of my tv, and using dumbbells with various movements, work my biceps, triceps, and shoulders.

Your level of motivation dictates your results. Not trying to be a dick, just calling it as I see it.

That being said, if you're dead set on working out at home, do something like P90x. Otherwise, hit the gym. Having the proper equipment and being surrounded by motivated individuals will greatly improve your chances at success.

There is no 10-minute cure, one simple little secret to losing belly fat, vibrating abdmonial belt, nothing like that is going to give you real results.

If you wanna be shredded, you gotta put in your time and not do half assed workouts. You need solid clean diet if you're going to have an aesthetic physique.

Good luck! Let us know what route you decide!

wintonyk
02-21-2013, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by zipdoa

Your level of motivation dictates your results. Not trying to be a dick, just calling it as I see it.

That being said, if you're dead set on working out at home, do something like P90x. Otherwise, hit the gym. Having the proper equipment and being surrounded by motivated individuals will greatly improve your chances at success.

There is no 10-minute cure, one simple little secret to losing belly fat, vibrating abdmonial belt, nothing like that is going to give you real results.

If you wanna be shredded, you gotta put in your time and not do half assed workouts. You need solid clean diet if you're going to have an aesthetic physique.

Good luck! Let us know what route you decide!

Tough love but its true. You want to see results you need to be driven. If you are only working out at home try p90x or insanity. Google some of the crossfit workouts (obviously you won't be able to do all.)

trollolhah
02-21-2013, 01:08 PM
Hello.

I'm 6 ft / 175 lbs, and want to increase muscle mass and definition in my upper body (including abs). I'm not concerned about my legs as I walk and bike a lot.

I started the upper body workouts about 2 weeks ago, but found I was getting really bored, so I'm now just doing those workouts while watching movies:D , and that took care of the boredom.

2 questions:

1) Should I incorporate push ups, and how important are push ups for working the abs?

2) I'm working my abs by shoving my feet under the clearance of my tv stand and doing standard sit ups. Will that suffice?

EDIT: Best pec exercise?

LOL skipping legs? Looks like you'll end up with chicken legs after having a "bigger" upper

Boredom, why not zoidberg? Find a friend that works out at the same gym brah! #chestbrah. Home gym? Find someone whos also home gyming/wants to chill/get into shape too.

Watch some motivational videos, your post looks like you workout at home.

Barbrothers - specialized in using body weight over machines/gym
Barstarzz is another good one too, these guys are insane

GhfLNN4BloY

Abs, since you have the dip/pull up machine, do some hanging leg raises

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/simon7.htm

LadyLuck
02-21-2013, 01:24 PM
love me some leg day!

http://iambeast1.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/truefact-lol.jpg

BananaFob
02-21-2013, 01:44 PM
http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/66613_4075811908512_1332910893_n.jpg

jsn
02-21-2013, 02:19 PM
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/8393/friendsdontletfriendssk.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/823/friendsdontletfriendssk.jpg/)

403ep3
02-22-2013, 03:01 PM
I think you guys scared him away with all your leg pictures :eek: :rofl:

Tej.S
02-22-2013, 03:21 PM
The lack of dedication in this thread is strong. OP, please educate yourself.

Seth1968
02-22-2013, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Tej.S
The lack of dedication in this thread is strong. OP, please educate yourself.

I'm a computer tech at heart, and a damn good one at that.

Physical strength and beauty is new to me.

Like everyone else, solve motivation.

Penguin_Racecar
02-22-2013, 05:00 PM
You should be able to get pretty results from doing a variety of pushups (regular, wide, tricep pushups). Use your newly purchased setup to do dips and pullups (also check the difference between pullups and chin-ups). As you get stronger you can increase the width of your grip for pullups, and get a weight belt for making dips harder.

Also echoing that it's easy to slack off working at home. If you have gym access it will allow you to have a more well rounded routine with squats, deadlifts, rows, and also provides you a better opportunity to do a warmup before lifting. Additionally, once you're physically at the gym it's a lot tougher to walk away after 10 minutes of lifting. Ie: easier to finish your workout.

I can't think of a single exercise that your 10lbs dumbells could be useful for. Maybe goblet squats when getting started.

Final words: Don't neglect lower body strength training, and use compound lifts for best strength results. Abs are made in the kitchen, not by doing a million crunches.

Tej.S
02-23-2013, 12:35 AM
New things are always challenging, but I mean if you're gonna try something new, at least put some good amount of effort in to it. If you're getting bored of your routine/exercises, search for new ones that will challenge you, both mentally and physically. IMO, a good friend with similar goals would be the easiest way to push through barriers and help you stay motivated mutually. Knowledge is your most powerful tool, so use some of your computer skills and do some in depth research based on what you would like to know. You'd be amazed at what you will continually learn. Also, you won't get bigger if your diet is crap. If you want to get bigger, you need to be on a caloric surplus(keep it simple). I don't know whether any of this is what you're looking for since I don't specifically know what your goals are.

Seth1968
02-23-2013, 12:42 PM
Thanks again for the replies.

I'm 43 years old, and only now realizing that my lifestyle has been a disgrace. Please pardon my ignorance in the same way that I would do so if your computer needed repair.

With the posts given, I've understood that "core" exercises are the priority.

rx7boi
02-23-2013, 03:29 PM
Seth, if you're 43 years old, you should look into getting a trainer.

Yes, having a friend with similar goals is nice but that's a drawback because you can't always rely on someone else to have the same amount of motivation that you're prepared to put in.

I've never used a trainer, but then again I never fully reached my goals either. However, I see many people getting the results they want, dropping the poundage and going balls to the wall.

Trainers will give you way more specific information and will hopefully guide you every step of the way. If you're asking advice on Beyond, you'll get one of several things:

1. Abstract advice on searching for routines that you might not fully understand about.
2. Simpletons saying "just do it" and adding their 2 cents.
3. Workout routines that might not be tailored for you.

At least with a personal trainer, they'll lead you in the right direction with nutrition, working out and form, and over time you can learn for yourself what works and what doesn't as well as get real time feedback.

Tej is right about the education, but if you really want the whole package deal, then you need to find someone whose job is to provide that information and keep you motivated.

Tej.S
02-23-2013, 03:50 PM
Personal trainers are a waste of money. It's hard to find a personal trainer who actually gives a crap to properly train/educate you. Half of them will feed you their broscience bullshit and don't give a crap about training you with the proper form or technique(most likely because they don't know it themselves). I see this happen at my gym frequently. All you gotta do is take a course with Canfit Pro and you're certified, lols. There's nothing you can't learn on your own if you're willing to put in the time. If you do choose to take the PT route, make sure you find someone who will tend to your needs instead of regurgitating what they've been told.

rx7boi
02-24-2013, 06:45 PM
^

And to elaborate, try to find a Personal Trainer who's actually engaged in bodybuilding himself and seems knowledgeable about the lifestyle, not just the books.

Don't find one of those fat fucks with Personal Trainer tagged on the back of theirs shirts. At the Goodlife where I work out, there's probably about 10 personal trainers but only 2 that I would even consider talking to.

The rest are the kind of people that Tej mentioned: overweight chumps who talk the talk but don't know shit about being in shape themselves.

Seth1968
02-24-2013, 07:17 PM
Wow.

I never thought that "working out" could be so controversial.

EK69
02-25-2013, 01:40 AM
Depends what u want to achieve by the looks of these responses. Generally ur working out at home not a gym not sure how flexible u are on that. If u prefer at home then with that stand thing there's a bunch of things u can do. Google the difference between pull up and chin up and body weight exercises. Start by doing negative chin ups to build strength and work up to regular chin ups if u can't do them yet. Or get a resistance band or two.

As for shitty personal trainers...Common sense dictates don't take work out bro science advice from someone who doesn't look fit etc lol

Push ups are a good work out for a lot of muscle groups and ur soreness will tell u that.
YouTube the different forms. I find watching videos is better than reading

Tej.S
02-25-2013, 03:42 AM
Lol Seth, it's not that complicated. I guess the majority of us have different goals than you. It obviously doesn't look like you have a bodybuilding mindset(not insulting, just making an observation), but a rather stay fit, be healthy one. Like EK69 mentioned, you can achieve this at home with body weight exercises or using simple equipment such as the aforementioned resistance bands. The only thing I'd recommend is for you to work your body parts out evenly and watch your diet. You'd be amazed and how easily your body can transform.

CapnCrunch
02-26-2013, 04:48 PM
Personal trainers are hilarious.

"All you need is a medicine ball and eat nothing but cabbage!!"

Tej.S
02-26-2013, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
Personal trainers are hilarious.

"All you need is a medicine ball and eat nothing but cabbage!!"

:werd: The majority of them don't even look like they lift lol.

rx7boi
02-26-2013, 07:03 PM

Agreed, hard to find a good trainer out there.

scboss
02-27-2013, 05:17 AM
Thanks again for the replies.

I'm 43 years old, and only now realizing that my lifestyle has been a disgrace. Please pardon my ignorance in the same way that I would do so if your computer needed repair.

With the posts given, I've understood that "core" exercises are the priority.

If you have no idea what your doing you have three choices
1. Home Workouts (p90x, rushfit, insanity etc)
2. Train with a friend
3. Do your research and get a good trainer

Personal trainers are a waste of money. It's hard to find a personal trainer who actually gives a crap to properly train/educate you. Half of them will feed you their broscience bullshit and don't give a crap about training you with the proper form or technique(most likely because they don't know it themselves). I see this happen at my gym frequently. All you gotta do is take a course with Canfit Pro and you're certified, lols. There's nothing you can't learn on your own if you're willing to put in the time. If you do choose to take the PT route, make sure you find someone who will tend to your needs instead of regurgitating what they've been told.

Haha when I wear normal clothes you would never know Im a trainer. I find most people are the opposite actually, they look like they can lift alot but they are upper body warriors and train legs with machines only.

When getting a trainer make sure to ask for before/after pics, testimonials, education and make sure he has the information you desire.

Whatever the OP does just remember consistency is the biggest thing to learn!

Tej.S
02-27-2013, 10:48 AM
^ pretty much this. I'm not saying all PT's are crap, just that a very select few truly know what they're talking about :p