PDA

View Full Version : electrolyte supplement?

FixedGear
02-19-2013, 05:00 PM
Hey guys,

I will be working in the bush in Panama for the next month. My colleagues who have worked at this site before have suggested that I bring some kind of electrolyte powder to mix into drinks. One suggested Gatorade, but I'd rather avoid the extra sugars and calories. G2 is another option, but it turns out to be very expensive as you can't buy it in bulk.

Can anyone suggest an electrolyte supplement that I can mix in water? Thanks.

msommers
02-19-2013, 05:04 PM
Theses are great and don't give me a gut ache life a lot of gatorade does.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/MemberPicks/RunningFitness/PRD~5017-570/nuun-electrolyte-replacement-tablets-lemon-lime.jsp

SJW
02-19-2013, 05:26 PM
Coconut milk or water has more electrolytes than gatorade. From what I hear.

rvd
02-19-2013, 05:29 PM
Make your own.

Sea Salt
Potassium Chloride
Baking Soda
Lemon Juice
Honey

v2kai
02-19-2013, 06:30 PM
http://www.emergenc.com/

not sure if this has the electrolyte content youre looking for but it's good stuff
i prefer the raspberry flavour to the orange stuff and a few other of their flavours I've tried.

roopi
02-19-2013, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by FixedGear
Hey guys,

I will be working in the bush in Panama for the next month. My colleagues who have worked at this site before have suggested that I bring some kind of electrolyte powder to mix into drinks. One suggested Gatorade, but I'd rather avoid the extra sugars and calories. G2 is another option, but it turns out to be very expensive as you can't buy it in bulk.

Can anyone suggest an electrolyte supplement that I can mix in water? Thanks.

G2 can be purchased at Costco. It's $20 for 24.

TYMSMNY
02-19-2013, 07:35 PM
I'll assume you don't want to ship cases of drink and instead stuff in powdered form? Plus it doesn't look like you're going there for a race or training but labour intensive work... so just electrolyte replacements?

Brand I use is Hammer, for thing like hockey, bike rides, to marathons. Haven't used the electrolyte replacement stuff before but have used their Perpetuem line.

Hammer Nutrition, Endurolytes (Electrolyte Replacement Supplement)

ExtraSlow
02-19-2013, 07:51 PM
MEC sells 28 different electrolyte replacers. Probably your best value.

swak
02-19-2013, 09:32 PM
Bow Cycle sells the hammer nutrition water 'transformers' like crystal light.

Its good stuff! Does the job, and tastes good

rob the knob
02-19-2013, 10:38 PM
http://www.saltstick.com/products/sscaps/cfeatures.htm

Key Features

The ONLY electrolyte capsule that was formulated to closely resemble the electrolyte profile lost during activity: sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium.
Only 1 capsule per serving. Suggested use: 1 capsule per 30-60 minutes during activity
Buffered salt composition that helps digestion and absorption
Each capsule contains: 215 mg sodium, 63 mg potassium, 22 mg calcium, 11 mg magnesium, 100 IU Vitamin D
Vegetable-based non-GMO capsule composition; Bio-available active ingredients. GMP production.
Contains only WHAT YOU NEED. No: herbal, trace, questionable components added. Vegetarian and Gluten free.
No sweeteners- no high fructose corn syrup, no sweeteners of any kind
Does not contain any World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) or International Olympic Committee (IOC) banned substances
Unique formulation is patent pending; Engineered by a Ph.D. chemist who is also a pro triathlete
Saltstick® Caps uniquely includes vitamin D that helps the body absorb and utilize calcium.
Great for effective rehydration during international travel, hiking and effects of alcohol and unfamiliar foods.

FixedGear
02-19-2013, 10:45 PM
thanks for the suggestions.

wintonyk
02-21-2013, 11:57 AM
eat fruit and add salt to your food. thats all i do in se asia. the odd time i use pocari sweat.