PDA

View Full Version : An awesome write up for new riders.

Graham_A_M
02-22-2013, 07:55 PM
Mods please make this a sticky if you feel appropriate

So most of you guys here know me, and I'd say you guys have seen me post this 100 times in some nooby threads. If you guys have any ideas on something to add, or anything to make the article better please feel free to let me know!

As an avid motorcyclist, I have the drive to help others to get into the sport. My main goal is to protect new riders from making a mistake and getting themselves hurt or killed. I know there are other riders on this forum and I know all of you aren't going to agree with my opinions, but this is my opinion based on advice i've been given and experiences that I have had during my riding career.

THIS WILL BE A GOOD 15-20 MINUTE READ, BUT IT IS WELL WORTH IT!

So you want to ride a motorcycle?

Alright I want to address a lot of the factors that seem to come up in conversation when talking to someone wanting to get into the sport of riding. One I get from people that message me a lot is:

"My buddy just got a 600 (or above) sportbike, and I want to be able to keep up, what should I get?"

First and foremost, keeping up with other riders should be your LAST concern when coming into this sport. A new rider trying to keep up with someone who has been riding for a while is what helps raise the statistics.....Well one thing LOL

"I know your suppose to start small, but I have been riding dirt for years!"

Honestly that shit annoys the hell out of me. Yes it teaches you how a gearbox works, and you know where the controls are, BUT balance, braking, traction, technique, form, etc etc is ALL a completely different world on the street versus the dirt. So get that dumb idea out of your head.

Those are the two main ones I get on this site, there is a million other things I get as well though, but that would take approximately 1,246 years to write up.

Just remember that NOTHING and I mean nothing, makes you any better then any other new rider out on the road. The only way your a special case is if you were already a pro racer before you came to the street....and your not. Alot of people tend to get mad when I say "An SS (crotch rocket, Sport Bike) bike is not for a beginner, you should start a lot smaller" because they believe that some thing they did in there life makes them a great rider right out of the gate, but I'm sorry to burst some bubbles, it takes years on the road and 10's of thousands of miles to make you a truly experienced rider.

Most people think all bikes are the same, just that SS bikes are faster then the rest, and truly do not understand the reasons, or just refuse to see what the reasons are that they shouldn't get that R6, R1, ZX-6R, etc, that they have lusted over since they saw one. So I'm going to list the top few reasons an SS bike is NOT for a beginner.

Speed, New riders are going to get tempted, and twisting the throttle to 150+ to early is going to get you killed. I don't want to hear the "I'm responsible and mature, I won't turn the throttle to early, I'll be fine." excuse either, because the truth is, no your not. People that say this don't realize how riding a bike truly is. You honestly start to "feel comfortable" on a bike in just a few hours, but I'm telling you now if you get to squirley to early, your going to regret it when your new bike is sliding away in front of you.
Brakes, the brakes of an SS bike are made to stop you from top speed to 60 or below in a little over 2 seconds, some even faster. Therefore if a new rider encounters a situation where they have to hit the brakes hard, there is a 99% chance that they are going to grab too much brake and either go over the handlebars, or they will wash the front end out and lowside the bike.
Response, SS bikes are SUPERBLY responsive. Add 1/4 turn of throttle and your taking off pretty good. Some bikes it's less of a turn then that. Therefore, new riders that panic when (for example) killing the bike at a light, are going to throw down to much throttle and it's going to end either in a wheelie crash, or straight panic, onto the brakes again, causing the same situation as above. The same thing goes for the steering, SS bikes are designed to do EXACTLY what you tell them to do, they respond to steering corrections by the MM, not the inch or more like a car.
Clip On Handle Bars, Clip on bars are NOT the best to learn on, they put you into an aggressive position making slow speed maneuvers and other physics of steering 20 times harder. A beginner should start on something with standard bars (which means a normal handlebar, like a bicycle.)
Power, the power of most SS bikes is pretty substantial. A lot of people underestimate it. A lot of new riders decide to turn the throttle that 1/8th inch more and I'm telling you it's a wake up call when it throws your ass back. Adding throttle through the turn is the BIG key point that makes the power of an SS bike bad for a new rider. When riding on the street you will be rolling on the throttle through EVERY turn (Point the bike, choose your line, and get back on the throttle as soon as possible.) When you add to much throttle (in this instance because you just bought an SS bike where an 1/8th of a turn of the throttle is WAY to much) the rear end is going to kick out, your not going to have enough experience to react and save it, and it will most likely end in a crash. Harsh, but the truth.

Most of you wanting to come into this sport lets face it, you probably just want it for the "cool" factor, or because you know bikes are "cheap speed". Please, get that out of your head. Motorcycle riding is a sport, a passion, and a lifestyle. Not something you do just to show off, because you know what? If you don't actually want to be in it for the sport, your never going to learn to ride the bike the way that it needs to be ridden in order to be truly fast. It takes years of practicing, tweaking, and perfecting your form to make a motorcycle truly perform the way you think it will/should. I mean honestly, and I've seen this before, a newer rider on an SS bike, will get left behind by the guy who's been riding his Ninja 250 for years. Not in the straights of course, but in the canyons, at the tracks, etc etc where it actually matters! Remember, a bikes not made for straight line speed, it's made for curves.

The thing that gets a LOT of the new riders looking at the SS bikes is the looks. Yes most of the SS bikes are drop dead gorgeous I know. However a lot of you will let that blind you to how awesome some of the great beginner bikes look. I'll give some examples here in a moment of some GREAT looking beginner bikes that will give you the flash you want, well over enough speed, and just the right amount of power to keep you happy! Something else is the fact that a lot of you are going to let your friends influence your decision. A lot of your friends are going to say "Haha you bought a baby bike, should have got a 1000" or something completely idiotic along the lines of that. Just remember, 99% of your friends that say that probably have never ridden a bike :lol:

Alright so here is the point of the thread where I will lead you towards some truly awesome bikes that are designed around beginners, and would be perfect for you to start your motorcycling career on!

Suzuki SV650: Comes in both a faired, and naked version

http://krang.sportrider.com/bikes/2003/2003-suzuki-s6-a3.jpg

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2009models/2009-Suzuki-SV650SFABSa.jpg

64.2 HP - 73.4 HP (Depending on model year)
42.3 ft·lb - 47.2 ft·lb (Depending on model year)
417-436lb wet weight (Depending on model year)

Yamaha FZ6R:

http://www.smartcycleshopper.com/images/articles//09%20FZ6R%20Yamaha/09_Yamaha_FZ6R_Review_08.jpg

66.5 HP
40 ft lb torque
470 lb Wet Weight

Kawasaki Ninja 650R:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-UKFpdjc3mOE/UCkXYgtH8_I/AAAAAAAAFLg/Hs5_rfUvpA8/s320/250px-Ninja650-2009model.jpg

64.8 HP
44.7 ft lb torque
401.3 lb Dry Weight (Sorry no info on wet weight I could find.)

Kawasaki Ninja 250R:

http://www.rentsuperbikethailand.com/photos/mot4d5e58cfe0ac6.jpg

37.4 HP
18.1 ft lb torque
374.9 lbs wet weight

and of course there is a ton more options out there, that is just the few that I recommend, and I will update this thread with some new ones when I get time.

Now onto the MOST important part of motorcycle riding, riding GEAR, yeah a lot of people don't wear it, and I mean a LOT, but seriously, do you love your skin attached to your muscle, bones, etc etc? because I sure do. So don't be an idiot and listen to me.
When you buy a motorcycle you should also set up your gear budget, it's going to take about 1000 dollars to get some quality gear, and do NOT skimp here please. That couple hundred extra dollars for a full leather jacket is going to save you thousands in hospital bills if you go down.

Now here is what should be on your gear list:

Helmet
Jacket
Gloves
Boots

That should be your MINIMUM gear list. I recommend a good set of pants as well, but that's all in your choice.

Now, lets cover helmets. I'll tell you now, as long as a helmet is DOT approved it is going to protect your noggin. However, I recommend a full face, and remember the better quality you buy the better the helmet, and cost doesn't mean quality. If you can afford it hop into an Arai helmet. About 700-900 dollars, but we'll worth it. Other brands I recommend are Scorpion, Shoei, Icon, Nexx. Just remember that what's in that helmet is the most important thing you own, so don't skimp on protecting it.

On to jackets. At this point I'll warn you now, PLEASE stay away from mesh jackets. Yes they have armor, yes they say they protect, but have you ever fell on an asphalt basketball court in mesh shorts? Yeah, they don't last very well in a 5 mph fall, weather along a 25+. Textile jackets a good cheap alternative if you can't afford to go full leather, however if you can afford it please spring for a full leather jacket with elbow, shoulder, and back protection. It is WELL worth it. You'll think yourself for spending that extra dough when you go down.

Gloves, honestly this should take NO explaining. Your hands are one of the most important things you have, they NEED great protection. Again LEATHER, not mesh here. A good pair of leather gloves can be found for 90 bucks EASY. So no excuses, if you don't have any hands your days are going to become a lot harder.

Boots, again, your feet are very important, if you lose those you may be in trouble. Boots can be expensive, or fairly cheap it's up to you, they range from 100$-500$+. Just get FULL length, leather, heel protection, shin protection at a minimum.

I know a lot of you probably think gear is being over cautious, however when you actually get out there and ride you'll see just how dangerous it is on the road. A lot of people say they will be fine because they aren't going to wreck, I'm sorry, but it's like they say, " There's only two types of riders, those who have went down, and those who will", the only difference is the smart riders get back up to ride another day without iodine washes and a steel brush digging into their wounds.

Graham_A_M
02-22-2013, 08:02 PM
Now onto one of the most important things that will ever be done in your motorcycle cycle career. Prepping your bike for the ride! This goes a lot farther then just making sure that you have gas in the tank when it comes to a bike. There is a LOT of things to check on a regular basis and alot of things to equip your bike with before you head out.

We will start off with the PROTECTION prep of your motorcycle. Yes it is just as important as protecting your self, so don't be afraid to spend a few extra dollars to protect your investment in the case of a crash! Frame Sliders are one thing you'll hear EVERY rider say they have or need. I personally recommend getting much more then just frame sliders. Full protection kits will inlude: Frame Sliders, Fork Sliders, Rear Axle Sliders (or spools), crank case cover, stator cover, and a timing cover. When going with a full kit I highly recommend GB Racing, it's a little pricey (about 500$) but well worth it! There are also more sliders you CAN purchase, but are not really nessacary, such as bar end sliders, tail sliders, etc etc.

Now, on to what you need to do to prep your bike on a regular basis. Not only are these check up's important, but if you don't do them you risk some serious injury. The maintnence of a motorcycle is what's going to keep you safe and your bike running and functioning the way it should for a LONG time. There is an operation called TCLOCKS, that they teach in the MSF class and most other motorcycle safety programs, however, some of that honestly is not needed, so I will list my general weekly procedure.

Tire pressures. The most important thing on your motorcycle is the tires, they are what keeps you going. If your tires are under or over inflated it can be truly dangerous. For optimum grip check your bikes owners manual for the recommended amount of air for each tire.

Tire wear. Just like in a car, if your tires are to the wear bars do NOT ride anywhere, and always make sure that you have enough tread to last for the ride your about to go on. The last thing you want to do is have a blowout on a motorcycle.

Chain slack. There is WAY to many procedures on how to do this out there, and every bike is different, just check your manual for the recommended slack.

Brakes. On a motorcycle your brakes are more then important, if your pads are low it will slow down your stopping time significantly and when that emergency situation comes where you need them, they may not be there for you.

Sprockets, you have two sprockets on a motorcycle, front and rear, in which the teeth will get worn down. NEVER and I mean NEVER ride on a motorcycle equipped with sprockets that have broken teeth, or worn down teeth, if that chain jumps off it's not going to feel to good around your leg.....

Lines and cables. Brake, coolant, clutch, etc etc, just make sure that every line and cable on your bike is in good working condition, springing a leak during a ride or snapping a cable is going to put a serious damper on your day.

Oil. Just like in your car, check your oil regularly, bike rev high, and alot of them do burn oil now and then, so make sure you keep an eye on it, and change it every 3000-4000 miles!

Chain Lubrication. Lubrication is very important when it comes to your chain. Each week (or 500 milesish) wipe your chain down with some chain cleaner and put down a new coat of chain lube.

Nut's and Bolts. Bolts and nuts on a motorcycle are PRONE to twisting out from vibration. Keep an eye on them, it takes maybe 30 minutes to go over them all.

Fluid Levels. Check your oil, brake fluid (front and rear)

Keeping an eye on those few things will save you all kinds of hassle and possible crashes, so be sure to take care of your motorcycle!

Next up, how to prepare yourself for the ride! To some people it comes natural, it's get on and go. However alot of people will have FEAR when it comes to throwing a leg over a bike for the first time. My only advice at that point is don't be. Fear is going to be your limiter on a motorcycle, and if your scared just trying to pull out your never going to be able to ride normally. So suck it up. :guns:

To all of you that are starting out, and you experienced guys if you haven't done it yet, take the MSF course. It is a cheap way to become familiar with some emergency manuevers and how to ride your bike safely. It varies in price state to state. I know in WV it's about $100 to take the course. They will provide you with a motorcycle to ride and the class consist of three days. One day classroom learning, and two days out on your motorcycle. At the end you will have a test (one written, one physical.) If you pass both test then you will get to waive the skills test at the DMV, and obtain your Motorcycle Endorsement on your license.

In this section i'm going to talk about what you have to do to get your bike, and you, road legal.

Insurance. I recommend full coverage. If the bike gets stolen it's not covered under liability. Insurance can and will get expensive depending on the bike you ride. Here are some quotes I received via State Farm Insurance (Their local, so don't bet on getting this low of rates much of anywhere else unless you have 0 tickets, and are over 25)

I am 22, with two moving violations, so take that into play here as well.
2011 Yamha R6 ~ $900 a year $75 a month
2009 Ninja 650R ~ 650$ a year $54.16 a month
2008 Ninja 250R ~ 150$ a year
2011 GSXR 600 ~ $1400 a year $116.66 a month
2003 Suzuki SV650 ~ $200 a year
As said it varies greatly, and the HUGE difference between SS bikes and beginner bikes in insurance is yet another reason to start on a smaller bike.

Endorsement. No you do not need an additional license to operate a motorcycle however you do need an endorsement added to your current license. After 90 days with your Learners (or sooner) you can come back to the registries and try in the skills test to get this, however like above, I suggest going the MSF route.

Graham_A_M
02-22-2013, 08:04 PM
There are QUITE a few points that will tell you if a motorcycle would be good for you:

Can you flat foot the bike? A LOT of people overlook this factor when getting their first motorcycle. Weather or not your feet touch the ground is huge because while you can stop and only put one foot down, but there is a whole world of scenarios that can go wrong in doing so, such as:
Putting the foot down into a pot hole that you didn't see, in turn toppling the bike on top of you at the light. Both embarrassing and painful.
Your foot slips out from under you from oil in the roadway when you put your foot down, resulting in the same scenario as above.
The road is crowned, and you have to lean the bike way over at the light, and drop the bike.
There is a ton more reasons that you want to be able to flat foot the bike, but nobody in the world has the time to type of all of that.

Position. Are you stretching to reach the bars? Are your knees coming up way to close to the top of the tank? If you have to stress your body to reach the controls then that's not a good thing. This doesn't mean that if you have to lean forward then you shouldn't ride that bike, you'll have to do that on every bike, but if your in riding position, and stretching your arms and lower back just to reach the bars it's a little much.

This isn't really a much needed thing, but I see it as important. However it may not matter to you. Now, the question is, does the bike suit your eyes? Does it look good? In my opinion your bike needs to look good to you, riding a motorcycle should make you happy, and if you don't like the way it looks 9 chances out of 10 it's not going to do that.

Weight. Some bikes weigh up into 500+ pounds, Sportbikes anyway some cruisers weigh into the thousands, make sure you are strong enough to balance the bike, as well as pick it up if it goes down.

The main thing is the bike has to feel like it fits you, you don't want to be uncomfortable. (Until you go to an SS bike anyhow, all of those bitches are torture racks LOL)

Next up on the list is telling you how to make sure you purchase a quality bike, one that's taken care of and doesn't give you any problems. When you should walk away from a deal, etc etc.

When buying your first bike I am gonig to highly recommend you buy used! Yes I know having a bike with 0 miles and being the only owner is cool, but honestly you have a bigger chance of wrecking your first bike then any other bike you own. This is also another reason for beginners bikes, fairings and parts are CHEAP, so that when a new rider messes something up, it doesn't break his bank.

When looking for a bike first off do your research, the things i'm going to tell you are JUST the things that apply to any bike you look at, certain bikes do have there certain problems that are unique to them.

When it comes to buying a used bike I suggest going to a private seller, as dealers are pushy, and most of them will NOT allow you to test ride the bike. Anyway here is what to do when you are looking for a used motorcycle:

Pick the motorcycle right for you, for this you may have to go around to some dealers and set on them, if no dealers have them don't worry, find a used one for sale and ask if you can come look at it.

Do your research! Find out if there is any common problems, and check for the symptoms.

Locate the bike. Plan your trip. Get a trailer, etc etc if your truly interested in buying the bike!

TEST RIDE. Most dealers will not let you test ride bikes. Therefore like I stated before I suggest private sellers. Show them the money and they are usually fine with it. NEVER buy a motorcycle without test riding it. There could be plenty of problems that only persist while in motion, and if the seller denies you a test ride, chances are, those problems are there.

Once the test ride's over, and you like the bike, hand over the cash, smile, and either load your new bike in to the trailer or ride off into the sunset knowing you are now a motorcyclist!

Once you buy your bike, if you are just going through town I would suggest riding it. The sooner you start your new found love of riding the better, however if your going to need to go on the freeway, I suggest trailering the bike. The freeway is WAY to dangerous for a new rider. From 18 wheelers sucking you in to cagers cutting into you so they can exit. Stay away from there for a little while.

Now onto what to look at when you go to check out a used motorcycle:

Tires, it is not THAT important that the bike has good tires, unless your riding it home. However if it does not have good tires ask the seller to knock off 100-200 dollars for a new set of tires. How do you tell if the tires are bad?

Tread, this ones obvious. Check all the wear markers on the tire, if ANY of them are close, the tires need to be trashed and replaced.
Manufacture date, located on the sidewall in a small bubble, this tells you the week and the year that the tire was made. If the tires are over two years old, I suggest tossing them. You can ride on old tires, but they just don't have as much grip, and you risk them cracking.

How does the engine run? Is it a smooth idle? rough? The idle can tell you alot about the condition of a bikes engine. Especially if it's carburated like the Ninja 250.

Forks. Be sure to check the forks for any leaking. Compress the suspension a few times and make sure that all is working correctly. Changing fork seals is no fun. If you want the bike even with a leaky fork seal, I would ask the seller to knock off another 100 or so dollars to get the seals replaced. Also, be SURE to try the best you can to make sure they are not bent. Sometimes it is hard to see, but a bent fork can ruin your day.

Drive system. Take a look over the drive system (chain, front sprocket, rear sprocket) take covers off if you have too. (I always keep tools in my truck, so that the seller can't say he doesn't have the tools to remove that) if the chain and sprockets are dirty, gunky, etc etc then that's a good sign that the bike hasn't been maintained and taking care of very well. The paint and other things can be as pretty as the showroom floor, but if the mechanics of the bike aren't maintained it's going to become a paper weight.

Controls. Make sure that ALL of the controls work, from the horn to the killswitch. Hit EVERY lever and EVERY button on that bike to make sure they do what they are suppose to be doing. You'd be surprised how many people screw some of that stuff up :lol:

Leaks. Check around all covers, check all the hoses, etc etc for ANY type of leak. Coolant, oil, brake fluid, etc etc. Bikes have a lot of places a leak could happen at, and they are not a big deal usually, just make sure that it's not leaking from anywhere bad.

Starter, start the bike, make sure it starts in 1 crank (as long as it's warm out) if it doesn't then either the battery is low, or the starter motor is getting week. This is not a big deal, it just tells you if you may have to change some parts soon

Mileage. I'm just throwing this in here to tell you that a bike can LAST. A lot of people have it in there head that 10,000 kms on a bike is a lot of miles. However now a days, that's nothing. Bikes go to an easy 40-50k before they have problems in this day and age. I know a few people that has bikes with over 100k on them. So don't let it scare you away if a bike says it has 20,000 km's or something like that.

That is what I always make sure to look at when buying a bike. However other people may have there own inspections. My main advice is don't be afraid to ask, and don't be afraid to walk away if they say no. If you have to take the fairings off to check for leaks, then do it. If he says no, then tell him no sell, he'll come around if there is truly nothing wrong with the bike. One more tip of advice is to NEVER believe somebody when they tell you they have never wheelied, raced, rode fast, etc etc on a sport bike. They did, and if your like me, you would rather them tell you the truth!

Bike Bonding refers to the connection and interaction of the rider and motorcycle. Good bike bonding helps riders automate their physical skills so they can devote more attention to road and traffic conditions (searching and evaluating).

Graham_A_M
02-22-2013, 08:05 PM
There is only a couple more things left that all riders need to know, and that is how to act on the street. While riding is extremely fun, you also have to remember that it is dangerous. There are thousands of factors on the road that could lead to your potential demise as a rider.

Cagers (People driving cars/trucks/SUVs): While you may think they are harmless starting out, trust me they are NOT, most of them don't look for other cars, weather along look for riders on machines a fourth their size.
Debris/Trash: Not ALL of it is going to cause you to risk crashing, however, plastic bags can get caught up in your wheels, trucks could loose a piece of cargo, or a cager could throw out a cigarette butt at the wrong time. It's all things you need to be aware of.
Animals: Just like in a car, animals aren't going to really pay much attention to you and they are definitely going to walk out in front of you at some point, and when they do, you don't have the metal cage surrounding you to protect you anymore.

These are all reasons that you need to STAY ATTENTIVE! The last thing you want to do on a bike is being dazed off in to space, every second of every ride needs to be concentrated on whats around you, so that when the time comes, your emergency actions can be engaged. Weather it's a cager switching into your lane, or bambi deciding to cross the road right when your mid turn at 60 MPH. There is ALWAYS something to be watching for. No excuses. Over time you will train yourself on how to see when this stuff is going to happen, for example when in traffic, watch the cars around you, are their front tires turned towards you? If they are be SURE they see you coming! Beep the horn, rev your engine, whatever is needed for them to become aware of you!

Last but not least, enjoy the ride! When starting out as a motorcyclist you are going to learn weather or not you are going to enjoy motorcycling. If you don't, don't be discouraged, millions of people try it every year and decide the sport just isn't for them. However if you don't put your heart and soul into riding, it's never going to make you happy. Riding takes a dedicated person, that has oil in their veins and passion in their heart in order to succeed.

Follow these guidelines and I assure you that in the end you will become a great motorcyclist, and you'll do it the correct and SAFE way. Don't become a squid, you need to ride well if you want the respect of fellow motorcyclist. If anybody has any questions my email is [email protected], feel free to message me anytime!

brucebanner
02-22-2013, 09:56 PM
Great write up Graham, lots of good info.

Question, what are some of the bigger fitting bikes? I'm in the 6'4 - 6'5 area for height and finally considering getting into the sport this year.

Graham_A_M
02-22-2013, 09:57 PM
^ What type? Sportbike? cruiser? sport touring? dual purpose/enduro?

brucebanner
02-22-2013, 10:06 PM
Totally forgot to add that. I'm leaning towards a sportbike(even though it's ill advised), because I want one and they can be had pretty cheap.

OneGreasyHobo
02-23-2013, 02:55 AM
Yamaha's are normally a bit more taller bikes, need longer legs.

ddduke
02-23-2013, 09:54 AM
You make some good points, but textile jackets aren't that bad, I have a Dianese textile that held up great when I took a mean tumble. I think it may just depend on brand and quality.

It's fucking amazing how many people go with out gear, every time I hit deerfoot I see atleast 2 guys riding in tees with girls on the back that also have tees.

speedog
02-23-2013, 10:09 AM
Thx Graham - great write up.
Haven't ridden in over twenty years, but did actively ride and own a few motorbikes when I was in my 20-30's. One of things I saw lacking in most riders was their inability to recognize and control several things...
Braking - some many riders I knew truly didn't understand or fully comprehend how much braking power they had available to them or how they should use their brakes. Once saw my brother-in-law stand up his brand new Honda VFR750 bike out on Old Banff Coach Road - got into the corner way too hard and applied way too much front brake. Bike promptly responded as it should and stood up taking him right where he didn't want to go - straight into the ditch. Luckily he rode it out with no damage, but it sure was a wake up call for him and after a 10 minute discussion with myself at the next driveway, he had learned a bit more about brakes and when to apply which brake.
A rider unable to pick up their bike - saw so many riders that were physically unable to pick up their bikes. Big burly guys that couldn't get a 500lb bike back to it's wheels even in a practice situation on the lawn while my roommate at the time in the mid-80's, she (all 110 ponds of her) could easily get even bigger bikes back upright on their wheels. It's all about lever-edge.
Bump starting a bike - don't know if that's even advisable these days but back when I was still riding, it was not uncommon to have a bike with battery problems and it was amazing how many riders didn't know how to bump start a bike. Hell, I could bump start my 86 FZ750 while straddling it and just taking a few steps and yet my brother could never bump start his bike.
Gear - wear that lid and the leather. Have felt and seen first hand the positive and negative results of going down with or without and trust me, those non-stick bandages - they are not!
Ride in the place that the cager's wheels are - yeah, lots will say ride in the middle of the lane, but that's the greasiest spot in a lane and the one area where all the crud end up at.
At all times be on the defensive - cagers don't see you and even I'm guilty of this 20 years on. Bikes are small, fast and difficult to see -hell, even my last two orange cars seem to be invisible to many drivers in this seemingly overwhelming sea of gray/black/white vehicles and grey asphalt.
Be so, so very careful in the spring - sand and grit will be everywhere and will have that front tire sliding in a corner before you are even aware of that sand/grit being there. Riding in the winter - shudder.
If you're gonna go down - do not try to manhandle your bike as if you're superhuman and are going to save it. That 500lb machine will hurt you if it lands on top of you - you will be hurt much, much less if you're sliding along side your bike as opposed to it on top of you.
Learn to really respect your machine and wear the right gear - it can hurt you when you least expect it. Had a good friend drop her bike on herself after a ride 2 summers ago - hit the curb with her front tire while trying to park her bike in front of her home. One would think that low speed parking would be simple enough, but this very low speed maneuver ended up with her bike on top of her with the very hot exhaust burning through her runner and into the top of her foot - the result two years of physical therapy and scars/damage that will never go away.
Weather - watch it at all times. Cold or wet or wind - it will all take it's toll on you quicker than you think. Once rode into a duststorm while coming back from Drumheller some 20+ years ago - myself, my wife, my brother-in-law and his wife - we pulled over and sat it out. Couldn't see 25 feet in front of us and my brother-in-law questioned us staying out - same guy he learned the wrong way about brakes. Wet or cold - also not good and those yellow/white stripes on the road, so, so very deadly when wet.
Tail riders - make sure they do it right. My wife is one of the best. You wouldn't know she was back there save for a bit less performance, even scraped hard stuff multiple times with her on the back of the back - all I would get was a poke in the ribs to remind me to take things down a notch or two. My sister-in-law on the on other hand, was always sliding into me or would decide to lean when you were committed in a corner - so, so unsettling. A great tail rider will barely slow you down and can make for a great experience that can be shared by both.Don't ride anymore - have gotten too used to being in a cage and having my air conditioning/heat and all those other amenities. Too many rides in Alberta/B.C./Pacific NW in cruddy conditions kind of turned me off - wind and cold especially. That and kids/family came along and priorities changed - that could change again in the future and if so, I'd see myself fixing up an old Japanese bike, something like a 1989 Honda CB400F or a 1988 Honda NT 650 Hawk GT or what I had, a 1985 Yamaha FZ750N. All gutless compared to today's bikes but wonderful machines back in those days.

bjstare
02-23-2013, 10:19 AM
@ddduke :werd:

Just a note on the riding gear topic: make no mistake that pants are just as important as a jacket. If you think jeans are good enough to protect you when you go down, you couldn't be more wrong. They last for about 2 feet of sliding before they rip to shreds, then you're sliding with no protection. I know from experience.

Graham_A_M
02-23-2013, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by bruceod
Totally forgot to add that. I'm leaning towards a sportbike(even though it's ill advised), because I want one and they can be had pretty cheap.
Its a tough call with the older sportbikes as I haven't ridden too many. I'd definitely avoid an older CBR though as those bikes are just tiny. I think you'd feel claustrophobic on one in no time.
For the newer bikes like in the post, I'd recommend a good SV650. I've seen a lot of taller riders feel quite comfortable on one as you dont have that typical sportbike riding position, so you can stretch out a lot more given its upright nature. The cool part is that you can get parts for them anywhere, and for cheap.

Its such a popular bike that in the event you ever want to really hone your skills on it, you can as lots of race events/ tracks have a SV cup/track events. Where as its riders of all skill levels on SV's, and SV's only for that particular race/track session.

If you're looking at getting a new bike then Id recommend heading over to Blackfoot and sitting on everything to see what really fits both you and your budget. I can meet you there at some point if you ever wanted help finding something appropriate for you. Just PM me and we'll go from there.

Disoblige
02-23-2013, 10:05 PM
Good write up! Made decent points for sure.

Regarding insurance, you don't have to do bare minimum with liability, but you don't have to go full coverage either. Liability + Special Perils will cover theft, fire, hail, etc. and will be ~1/3 less than what was mentioned for full coverage.

Graham_A_M, I didn't know you were so young :eek:

effingidiot
02-24-2013, 02:51 PM
Here's a superior version of your writeup.
http://i.imgur.com/lEBx4MG.gif

Graham_A_M
02-24-2013, 05:45 PM
^ Aw, shucks. I earnestly apologize for not spending an additional two hours writing that up so I can cover the fundamentals of throttle.
Whoops, yeah the whole write up sucks then. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Disoblige
Graham_A_M, I didn't know you were so young :eek:

Im not, those were quotes for a 22 year old. Im 30. Yes, you can call me Grahampa.
:rofl:

RedlineMS
02-25-2013, 10:33 AM
Good info!

slick2404
02-27-2013, 01:14 PM
well done sir

speedog
02-27-2013, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by effingidiot
Here's a superior version of your writeup.
http://i.imgur.com/lEBx4MG.gif The BIMG tag works just oh so well, eh.

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-28-2013, 10:04 AM
Awesome write up. I'm a new rider, and can see some of the tips from Too Cool in there.

Quick question, I was looking on GB Racing's site, and they're in the UK. Do you know of any local places I can score a full protection kit from?

Supa Dexta
02-28-2013, 10:07 AM
Something I always tell new riders it to - Always remember the bike can do more than yourself.. So if you get in a corner too hot, push yourself to commit - don't give up and bail.. The bike can handle the turn, its you that has to put your mind to it and trust the bike.

Brakes also folllow that rule on most any newer bike.. If you can stay composed and use them to their ability - they will almost always do what you need of them

Graham_A_M
02-28-2013, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
Awesome write up. I'm a new rider, and can see some of the tips from Too Cool in there.

Quick question, I was looking on GB Racing's site, and they're in the UK. Do you know of any local places I can score a full protection kit from?
Interesting as I've never taken the basic course from Too Cool, just their advanced one when I was 16. (Back at that old Go Kart track up by the airport when it was still there.)

You mean sliders for your bike?
or protection for you? For the bike I'd recommend these guys. Their one of many good companies that make sliders for a wide variety of bikes.
http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=OO13
^ Check out their side menu on the left, they have tons of different types of protection for your bike.

For leathers and the like I'd recommend these guys
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-28-2013, 04:31 PM
I have a leather jacket, textile pants, boots, gloves, and a shoei helmet, so I feel fairly safe that way. I mean the protections kits (more than just sliders) that you mentioned...

ddduke
02-28-2013, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Something I always tell new riders it to - Always remember the bike can do more than yourself.. So if you get in a corner too hot, push yourself to commit - don't give up and bail.. The bike can handle the turn, its you that has to put your mind to it and trust the bike.

Brakes also folllow that rule on most any newer bike.. If you can stay composed and use them to their ability - they will almost always do what you need of them

This is solid advice