PDA

View Full Version : USB ports stopped working Win7 64bit

JC522
02-22-2013, 11:26 PM
Hey guys, so it's an older HP elite computer, model number M9525f. Only upgrades done to the computer are new 650w PSU and upgraded the GPU a year ago. Everything was working fine today until a couple hours ago, my computer went into sleep mode and when I tried to exit sleep mode I noticed my mouse wasn't working (uses a usb plug in) So i tried using my Wacom tablet, same thing. The lights on my wacom don't even light up. These 2 devices are plugged into the back USB ports. All I had in the front was my ipod plugged in.

I've tried what I could find on google. Powering it off and taking out the power cord for half an hour and pressing the power button to discharge. No luck. Went into device manager and uninstalled everything that was under the "universal serial bus controllers" then restarted the computer and everything was reinstalled but still no luck.

replugged my ipod into the front USB slot and windows popped up saying there was an error with the USB device and it wasn't installed properly. I also tried plugging in my Wacom into the front slot, it lit up but the lights are supposed to be solid on but they're flashing instead. Not really sure what to do but I need a quick fix because I have a photoshoot on sunday and need my computer to edit the photos. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Unknown303
02-22-2013, 11:38 PM
W7 on my PC installed an update a month or so ago that ruined my usb ports, to the point were nothing I plug in was recognized ever, so my only course of action was to re-install windows. Haven't had the issue since, I'm not really sure what happened though.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/364822/usb-controller-continuously-seeing-new-devices/

JC522
02-22-2013, 11:55 PM
I have also been trying a system restore but every time it reboots I get some error msg saying nothing has been changed.

I don't think anything was updated today. Unfortunately I don't have a win7 cd so I'll have to wait to try that. I thought it was my mobo failing and I was going to get a new mobo, case,ram, cpu tomorrow and cannibalize the remaining parts off this computer but I'd rather not spend money if Idon't have to but I do need my wacom to work by monday so I can get some editing done

edit

keyboard still works cause it's plugged into that round plug in the back. Found an old mouse with the round plug too so I at least have some functionality

edit2: Plugged in my external HDD and it has a led light on it and it lights up so I'm guessing the port is getting power. front and back ports tested

AndyL
02-23-2013, 12:06 AM
HP's have a tiny surface mount fuse soldered to the main board, to protect against to many devices... I learned this the hard way of course.

They're a whore to change - but possible (super fine tip soldering iron needed - since most don't have hot air rework stations). Active had them in stock last time I needed them (might have one if I can find the tape)

Easiest way to check, is plug in a hub or phone/iPod that shows charge off USB, if no power- you've got a pretty good idea what's up... if you do - then back to software...

JC522
02-23-2013, 12:14 AM
i seem to be intermittently getting charge off my ipod on the front 2 usb ports and I only tried with one of the back ones and it tried installing the device but it then said something about an error

revelations
02-23-2013, 12:16 AM
OP sometimes you can fix a bad or buggy chipset driver from the OEM. I looked on the HP support site but didnt find anything quickly for your PC. You can take a look and see if I missed something.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=ca&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3887722#N658

My start would be booting into SAFE mode (F8), if nothing works there then its possible the mobo USB setup has gone tits up.

You can also try SFC /scannow in a command window (admin mode) to see if Windows finds any system issues itself.

Last resort, you could always try to reset the BIOS back to defaults (jumper), also look at the BIOS update avail on the HP support site.

JC522
02-23-2013, 02:06 AM
left my mouse and wacom unplugged for a while. Then I plugged my external drive in and reset the computer. When it rebooted it recognized my external HDD so I started backing up some files in case I need to reinstall windows. Then tried plugging in the wacom tablet and usb mouse in and it reinstalled them. Seems to be working right now.

ricosuave
02-24-2013, 11:01 AM
you can get the windows dvd isos here if you need them:

http://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads-t12325.html

Ymerej472008
02-24-2013, 11:13 AM
When you boot your system you can hit the key it tells you to Enter Setup or whatever it may be called.

There is an option in those settings that basically says USB PORTS - On or USB PORTS - Off

Maybe try that, could be they somehow were turned off?