PDA

View Full Version : I Need advice on REPAINTING!!

Scjon03
02-17-2004, 12:38 AM
Ok I need some advice on repainting a little section on my tailgate. I have a 1996 Dodge Ram Black, on the tailgate a little section about lets say 5 to 6 inches long by 2 to 3 inches high.

What happen is when they took out the bent from the top of the gate it screwed up the paint and they spray painted it, thats it. Basically they screw me, but at least they got the bent out :).

Ok well I need advice on what to do. My friends told me to first Clean the gate the area and around it. Take 400g sandpaper and sand it down. Clean again, and then use primer, I have Filler primer gray Dupli-color auto spray. Wait for dry 30 mins stuff like that. After that take 1000g sandpaper and then sand that down for smooth feeling. Clean that, and then spray black paint, I am using Dupli-color Black auto spray. Wait til dry 30 to 1 hour I believe. Then after dry use clear top coat Dupli-color auto spray. And then polish after dry.

Is there anything else I need to know or add. ANY ANY advice would help very much right now. I am planning on doing this this week.

angierideswitme
02-17-2004, 01:28 AM
no matter what you do it won't match perfectly, you could make it less noticable by repainting the whole gate. to get a better match you could try buying the exact match paint they have a crappy tire, you can get them to exactly match your vehicule. (is that what dupli-color is, sorry i don't paint with that shit much)

youd really don't need to go to a 1000 grit paper, 400 is good enough. don't polish it for a while. wait atleast a week.
Paint in a warm room with no breeze, and remember, thin coats, THIN MOTHER FUCKING COATS.

hockeybronx
02-17-2004, 06:46 PM
I definetely suggest you paint the whole gate. Go to a place such as Imperial Collision (16th Ave and Deerfoot) and get them to match your paint.

What I did and what I suggest you do is get a rust and paint attachment for a grinder, grind the whole gate down to the metal, then use a high quality primer and cake it on, then use Bondo or Dynatron Putty to make it super smooth, and then paint it.

Do not try and match little spots as it will look terrible. Doing the gate isn't that big of a project, me and a friend of mine did the above to an entire SUV!

ninspeed
02-17-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx
I definetely suggest you paint the whole gate. Go to a place such as Imperial Collision (16th Ave and Deerfoot) and get them to match your paint.

What I did and what I suggest you do is get a rust and paint attachment for a grinder, grind the whole gate down to the metal, then use a high quality primer and cake it on, then use Bondo or Dynatron Putty to make it super smooth, and then paint it.

Do not try and match little spots as it will look terrible. Doing the gate isn't that big of a project, me and a friend of mine did the above to an entire SUV!
Please dont do this... Factory primer is the best for a reason.
2nd. Take it to a bodyshop, you will not get the shine nor quality if you do it your self. its cheap for just a tail gate. If its just "BLACK" with no metalics, R-M D403 with DC5300 clear will leave a VERY deep gloss.

Scjon03
02-17-2004, 08:19 PM
OK what i did is took it to a body shop and they took off the gate and started the top part of it. They show me some of there work they done on another gate and DAMN looks nice. I should get it back within about 2 days.

Thanks guys for your input.