PDA

View Full Version : 2009 VW Tiguan EXPLODING SUNROOF

Pages : [1] 2

arkman201
02-24-2013, 06:17 PM
On Feb 11th, while Driving on QE2 in central AB in our 2009 VW Tiguan, The Sunroof EXPLODED for no reason at all. Scared the crap out of everybody in the car (My Wife and Kids) and showered everone with glass. We just bought this car at Southcentre VW less than 2 months as a "premium" pre-owned car with remaining factory warranty. My wife immediately took it to Gary Moe VW as we live in Red Deer. They initially assured us it would be no problem and arranged (and paid for) a rental car for us. NINE DAYS later they finally get around to informing us that VW will not cover the repairs, citing an "outside influence" as the cause. Intersestingly, 2 months before we bought the car, it was into south centre VW for Warranty repair on the sunroof?!? All through this we were treated with arrogance and lies by Gary Moe VW and VW Canada. The car is now at South centre being repaired. They seem to be a lot easier to deal with. I'm hoping that the warranty people there will be able to make VW reconsider. if this doesn't get resolved I will make it my hobby to tell EVERYONE of my bad experiences and WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER VW AS LONG AS I LIVE. They don't seem to give a crap about there customers. Anybody else have similar experiences?

Sentry
02-24-2013, 06:18 PM
It got hit by a rock retard.

ricosuave
02-24-2013, 06:20 PM
^ :rofl:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-24-2013, 06:21 PM
It didn't just "explode". Something struck it, no company will ever warranty this.

Aleks
02-24-2013, 06:23 PM
This happens more often than you might expect. It's not just VW. Lots of cases online are well documented from wide range of makes. As far as it being warrantied, unless you can show that a rock didn't cause that it might be tough as that's what they will blame it on.

Sugarphreak
02-24-2013, 06:24 PM

Sentry
02-24-2013, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
They probably f-cked up on the previous warranty repair and forced the glass back into it, little bit of chassis twist and POP... glass everywhere.

BMW has been plagued with this problem as well, they just blame it on rocks as well:
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/7_on_your_side&id=8026317

"Tarek Zohdi, a professor of mechanical engineering at UC Berkeley. He calculated a rock lofted into the air by a vehicle tire would reach a height of 10-15 feet and would have to come down at 70-80 miles an hour to break the sunroof.

"There is not a chance in the world that an unintentional rock that is lofted by a vehicle would ever break a sunroof panel," Zohdi said."
That's funny, because I replaced a sunroof on a Prius last summer and the owner said the vehicle in front of them chucked a grape sized rock at it.

http://i.imgur.com/aRxlV8d.jpg

I'll take actual experience over an engineer in fantasy world.

arkman201
02-24-2013, 06:34 PM

No taffic anywhere nearby, so unless it was a meteorite, I don't think so.

Asshole

Sentry
02-24-2013, 06:36 PM
if this doesn't get resolved I will make it my hobby to tell EVERYONE of my bad experiences and WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER VW AS LONG AS I LIVE.
Who's the asshole?

Deetz
I've worked for Toyota, Honda, Acura and MB, it happens too "ALL" cars. There often situations where a truck or something kicks up a high up in the air, then lands seconds later onto someones sunroof, and crack.......happens all the time :drama:

KRyn
Originally posted by arkman201

No taffic anywhere nearby, so unless it was a meteorite, I don't think so.

Asshole

You create an account to make this thread and bash people immediately... You going to have a bad day!
:rofl:
Enjoy your VW!

rage2
02-24-2013, 06:43 PM

"Tarek Zohdi, a professor of mechanical engineering at UC Berkeley. He calculated a rock lofted into the air by a vehicle tire would reach a height of 10-15 feet and would have to come down at 70-80 miles an hour to break the sunroof.

"There is not a chance in the world that an unintentional rock that is lofted by a vehicle would ever break a sunroof panel," Zohdi said."
When you're stopped, sure. Problem is when you're moving at highway speeds, there's a huge pressure differential on both sides of the glass, so the glass is being pushed on with considerable force. It'll take much less additional force to break. The exploding glass effect is from the pressure differential.

This happens on every brand of car.

Cos
02-24-2013, 06:58 PM

revelations
02-24-2013, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by arkman201
On Feb 11th, while Driving on QE2 in central AB in our 2009 VW Tiguan, The Sunroof EXPLODED for no reason at all. Scared the crap out of everybody in the car (My Wife and Kids) and showered everone with glass. We just bought this car at Southcentre VW less than 2 months as a "premium" pre-owned car with remaining factory warranty. My wife immediately took it to Gary Moe VW as we live in Red Deer. They initially assured us it would be no problem and arranged (and paid for) a rental car for us. NINE DAYS later they finally get around to informing us that VW will not cover the repairs, citing an "outside influence" as the cause. Intersestingly, 2 months before we bought the car, it was into south centre VW for Warranty repair on the sunroof?!? All through this we were treated with arrogance and lies by Gary Moe VW and VW Canada. The car is now at South centre being repaired. They seem to be a lot easier to deal with. I'm hoping that the warranty people there will be able to make VW reconsider. if this doesn't get resolved I will make it my hobby to tell EVERYONE of my bad experiences and WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER VW AS LONG AS I LIVE. They don't seem to give a crap about there customers. Anybody else have similar experiences?

OP sounds like a whiny bitch. Its like me getting a bike shop to believe my story that my bicycle frame snapped in half for NO REASON while I was just riding along. Uh huh.

While I'm compelled to believe your story, you need to recognize that this is one of those things in life where you just accept the fact that "shit happens" and move on.

Now if 6 months later VW comes out with a TSB or something regarding randomly exploding sunroofs, then you might have a case. Keep your papers and receipts.

Kijho
02-24-2013, 07:08 PM
Glad I don't have a sunroof haha

Sugarphreak
02-24-2013, 07:09 PM

Sentry
02-24-2013, 07:10 PM
I've got a hella VIP yo! deflector for the sunroof on the Aristo. Has little adjustable spoiler things you can point down to blow air in your face. :)

shakalaka
02-24-2013, 07:18 PM
My ex from a few years ago had her sunroof just 'explode' out of nowhere as she was driving down on deerfoot. I tried hard enough to tell her that it was probably a rock or something, but nope, she'd have none of it.

Oddly enough though, she drove a VW Jetta. lol

Cos
02-24-2013, 07:20 PM

Sentry
02-24-2013, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Oh I am not saying your theory is improbable, or even wrong in this case, I just didnt like that the guy came out and said it couldnt happen. Sounds more like a guy who wants publicity than spreading fact.
And that's why it's wise not to speak in absolutes like our dear professor, because that makes it very easy for someone to go "Well, actually..." and make him look like an idiot.

Darell_n
02-24-2013, 07:24 PM
I lost a sunroof from a rock while travelling down Deerfoot. Rock flew up from under a truck I was passing and the glass exploded 4" from my head. (mid '80s flip up style)

CanmoreOrLess
02-24-2013, 07:30 PM
Any jabs on what this is going to cost for a replacement? My guess is a bill north of $3,000. Anyone ever 3M a glass sunroof? It would protect well enough from the rock theory.

corsvette
02-24-2013, 07:31 PM
Exact thing happened to my Wifes friend. She was driving to Lethbridge in her 04 Golf, not following anybody and no other cars around and BANG sunroof shattered.

nickyh
02-24-2013, 07:32 PM
Happend to my father-in-laws Rav4 driving back from Lake Louise last year. Shit happens and it had nothing to do with the make & model of the car.

With VW you are more likely to have your driver or front passenger window clips break and have the glass fall into the door (been there done that).

CanmoreOrLess
02-24-2013, 07:48 PM
I don't know guys a rock seems a bit urban myth like. This engineering professor says:

7 On Your Side then discussed this incident with Tarek Zohdi, a professor of mechanical engineering at UC Berkeley. He calculated a rock lofted into the air by a vehicle tire would reach a height of 10-15 feet and would have to come down at 70-80 miles an hour to break the sunroof.

"There is not a chance in the world that an unintentional rock that is lofted by a vehicle would ever break a sunroof panel," Zohdi said.

Zohdi says the maximum velocity of a rock coming down would be 25 miles an hour, well short of the needed 70 miles an hour. He said it is more likely the sunroof broke due to the stress caused by changes in temperatures or from fatigue.

"In both cases I would say in my opinion the car manufacturer has the problem; basically it's a manufacturers defect," Zohdi said.

With video:
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/7_on_your_side&id=8026317

natty54
02-24-2013, 08:16 PM
I have seen this before. Its very strange. I had my rear windshield blow out as well.

Maxt
02-24-2013, 08:16 PM
I worked at Husky station years ago, we pulled a car into the service bay from outside, when the door got slammed both doors glass literally blew out of the car. A little stress and a little temperature change.

lilmira
02-24-2013, 08:22 PM
I'm not sure if his words were taken out of context. Glass failure is quite difficult to predict unlike other materials. Tempered glass is even trickier due to it being pre-stressed. You can bang on it quite hard with a smooth object and it won't do anything. With a sharp enough object, you can chip on the edge to create a flaw and the glass will do the rest of the job destroying itself. That's the characteristic of tempered glass.

His statement itself that a rock cannot break the sunroof glass is quite bold. Of course, bad installation/excessive frame movement can also cause the failure. The point is, it is quite difficult to prove that the glass breakage is due to a design flaw or manufacturing defect.

arkman201
02-24-2013, 08:23 PM
You create an account to make this thread and bash people immediately... You going to have a bad day!

Only responding to being called a retard right out of the gate...

Who's Bashing?

arkman201
02-24-2013, 08:29 PM
Any jabs on what this is going to cost for a replacement? My guess is a bill north of $3,000. Anyone ever 3M a glass sunroof? It would protect well enough from the rock theory.

VW Red Deer wanted 2032.00 to fix it. South Centre VW will do it for 1435.00.

DeeK
02-24-2013, 08:44 PM
You see that http://forums.beyond.ca/images/quote.gif button?

I think that's what you're looking for.

DeleriousZ
02-24-2013, 08:45 PM
See sunroofs bust quite a bit when un-fit vehicles go off-roading. Bit of chassis flex and BANG.

Sugarphreak
02-24-2013, 09:25 PM

nobb
02-24-2013, 10:53 PM
As mentioned before, this is not a VW only problem. The Hyundai Veloster is known to have this problem too and had a recall for it.

Yes, perhaps a rock could have hit something, but that is likely not the case. Most of the time these exploding sunroofs are due to quality issues/errors made in manufacturing & installation combined with the heat transients and stresses that the sunroof undergo when the vehicle is in motion and the chassis is flexing.

rage2
02-24-2013, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
My glass sunroofs are all 3M'd with the headlight film stuff. It won't stop it from breaking if its hit hard enough, but it'll stop the exploding glass into the car.

Nobody ever looks up at the sunroof glass for damage. We get pelted by rocks daily. Even a chip could weaken the glass enough so that the force on the glass at highway speeds could blow it out (it's always at highway speeds if you google up exploding sunroofs). Sure there are cases with faulty glass, but that's rare (and near impossible to prove). The fact that it happens on every single car on the market is proof enough that it's not a design issue, nor a warranty issue.

spikerS
02-24-2013, 11:54 PM
while I am inclined to believe that most of the windshields exploding are indeed from rocks that hit the sunroof glass just right, I don't believe it is as common as you guys are attesting to.

Tempered glass is glass that has been heat tempered in such a way that if you hit the front or back of the glass, it is quite resillient. It is weak as fuck on the edges, and a very minimal strike will cause the whole thing to "explode"

so, having the sunroof rails come out of alignment ever so slightly, or chassis flex from a curb or pothole, can have the same effect of a rock hitting it...

just my $0.02

See Baygirl, watching the Discovery channel can pay off!

rage2
02-25-2013, 12:23 AM
I wish my math skills are up there so I can calculate how much constant force is exerted on the glass at speed. That's what you're missing. It's not the single hit to the glass that's blowing it up. It's the constant push on the entire piece if glass at speed, plus the hit with a rock that's blowing the glass out. It's effectively weakening the glass allowing smaller impacts to shatter it. Temperature plays a role too, as glass weakens in extreme hot/cold.

RickDaTuner
02-25-2013, 12:27 AM
It's about 1.5-3psi on the glass rage, in about the 1980's they started incorparating inner cabin vents under bumpers to allow for greater pressure equalization at speeds. This is especially significant when the HVAC system is set to recirculate.

CapnCrunch
02-25-2013, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Sentry

Rat Fink
02-25-2013, 08:05 AM

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-25-2013, 08:34 AM
Anybody ever lost one of those panorama sunroofs? That would be quite spectacular to see! Just curious

Had an Enclave come in a while ago that lost both dual sunroofs, glass everywhere and the guy either hit the skis racks on it or dropped his skis on it.

FraserB
02-25-2013, 08:34 AM
Off the top of my head I can't remember the exact name, but there is a flaw that can develop if the panel is hit in such a way that it is stressed but does not break. If the flaw is present, the chance of it breaking during normal body flex is much higher.

jdmXSI
02-25-2013, 08:47 AM
I remember when I worked at Subaru/ Jag, we had about 6 or 7 sunroofs "pop" when the Jag XF was released. The reason why we thought it happened was a sudden decline in temprature to -30ish and the fact that the chassis of the XF was (may still be) half aluminum and half steel. That caused the chassis to contract at different rates and pop'd the sunroofs.

speedog
02-25-2013, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by KRyn
Enjoy your VW!
Suspect the OP won't be contributing to the forum much outside of this thread.

kvg
02-25-2013, 09:26 AM
I could heave been a shitty sunroof, but I vote rock then or earlier and the pressure. Go get it fixed where it's cheapest and if you truly believe it was VW's fault, vote with your wallet and never buy one again:dunno:

CanmoreOrLess
02-25-2013, 09:37 AM
This all kind of makes me reconsider the beauty of a full sunroof like those in the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee and 2014 Subaru Forester. We can get glass insurance (I do not have coverage) for windshields which will need replacing at least every two years in Calgary, so why not sunroofs which I am assuming the majority will not need replacing ever. Bloody insurance circle scam, just talked myself out of coverage and here I am back in line for a Forester or Grand Cherokee.

rage2 makes some very good points.

prosh
02-25-2013, 09:38 AM
Never buying another VW doesn't really ensure that this may never happen again. Next time it could be a rock that causes it. I'm also willing to bet that anyone else in his shoes would be up in arms ready to bitch and whine to anyone willing to listen. Should there be a disclaimer before you post that you're going to get attacked for your post? :drama:

To the OP, keep pushing your complaints up the chain at VW until you get high enough that somethings going to get done about it. If thats not enough for you, you could always go knocking on Tony Tighe's door and see what he can do for you. Global loves a sympathy story with kids involved and will give you your 5 minutes on TV lol.

bjstare
02-25-2013, 11:01 AM
This is an interesting one. Considering what rage2 has been saying about pressure differentials; additionally the ease which this glass breaks when a sharp object comes into contact with, it indicates it was probably a rock.

On the other hand if OP was honest in stating that there was no one in sight when it happened... that pretty much eliminates the possibility of the rock paradigm holding true. Which means it was probably a defect of some sort (which has been known to happen with various cars, as also pointed out in the thread).

Will be interesting to see if OP is back with any updates

germanmuscle
02-25-2013, 11:25 AM
I doubt warranty would cover this. There is no way to prove that something did not hit it. What was repaired on the sunroof prior?

speedog
02-25-2013, 11:35 AM
So what's the possibility that there was a very small preexisting rock chip that unnoticed by the OP and a combination of heat/cold (sunlight or interior/exterior temperature differentials), pressure differentials and the vehicle flexing from just driving down the road could've contributed to the sunroof failing? So, so many unknowns could've contributed to this situation.

Please note that the OP did state that the vehicle in question was in for a warranty repair to the sunroof 2 months before they bought it but as we all know, this warranty repair could've been entirely unrelated to the actual glass portion - could've been as simple as a switch being replaced. Again, so many unknowns here.

bart
02-25-2013, 11:43 AM
more http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/447866-Sunroof-shattered-on-its-own

SkiBum5.0
02-25-2013, 11:43 AM

Your simple-minded response speaks volumes.

OP, this happened to me when I was driving a brand new F150 to Edmonton to dealer swap for my current truck. Driving with all windows closed I passed a semi and the passenger side window blew out. It apparently isn't uncommon and is related to the pressure change inside versus outside of the vehicle. If the sunroof wasn't properly sealed, the change in atmospheric pressure (you are going downhill to Edmonton), could cause the failure.

nickyh
02-25-2013, 12:21 PM
OP: I would try and see if Southcentre VW will do this as a "goodwill warranty", I did find them very fair when I had issues with my Jetta - but you need to speak to the service manager, not the techs.

It also depends on your service history with them for the warranty, I took my car exclusively to them after my final altercation with the folks at Northland VW.

Sentry
02-25-2013, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by SkiBum5.0

Your simple-minded response speaks volumes.

OP, this happened to me when I was driving a brand new F150 to Edmonton to dealer swap for my current truck. Driving with all windows closed I passed a semi and the passenger side window blew out. It apparently isn't uncommon and is related to the pressure change inside versus outside of the vehicle. If the sunroof wasn't properly sealed, the change in atmospheric pressure (you are going downhill to Edmonton), could cause the failure. Speaks volumes about how little I give a shit about a person who signed up just to create a thread bitching and moaning about how life is so hard and everyone at VW is against them.

If you want me to lend an ear you have to earn it.

flipstah
02-25-2013, 12:51 PM
Speaks volumes about how little I give a shit about a person who signed up just to create a thread bitching and moaning about how life is so hard and everyone at VW is against them.

Word.

Naively assuming that it's a manufacturer defect will get you that response.

There are more environmental factors than manufacturer factors that can cause the defect. The fact that the OP didn't take it into account solicits the response he/she has been getting.

I know that going out of a heated garage quickly into -40c is a good way to lose a sunroof.

Now if the OP said that the sunroof opens whenever they signal left, then I'd be more inclined to lean towards their rationale. :rofl:

arkman201
02-25-2013, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by speedog
So what's the possibility that there was a very small preexisting rock chip that unnoticed by the OP and a combination of heat/cold (sunlight or interior/exterior temperature differentials), pressure differentials and the vehicle flexing from just driving down the road could've contributed to the sunroof failing? So, so many unknowns could've contributed to this situation.

Please note that the OP did state that the vehicle in question was in for a warranty repair to the sunroof 2 months before they bought it but as we all know, this warranty repair could've been entirely unrelated to the actual glass portion - could've been as simple as a switch being replaced. Again, so many unknowns here.

Aparrently the Car had been to South Centre in Sept/12 (We bought the car Dec/12) for repair to the sunroof operating mechanism and alignment.

I realize this can happen to any make of vehicle. My issue is not necessarily that it happened, but how we are being treated by Red Deer VW and VW Canada. Service is EVERYTHING.

arkman201
02-25-2013, 01:01 PM
Speaks volumes about how little I give a shit about a person who signed up just to create a thread bitching and moaning about how life is so hard and everyone at VW is against them.

I don't need or want anything from you. Its a free world...and your free to move along..;)

FraserB
02-25-2013, 01:02 PM
His what free to move along?:confused:

Disoblige
02-25-2013, 01:08 PM
Well, from what I read, it does suck when someone tells you everything will be alright and covered, then to tell you they won't cover it, especially when they just bought the car 2 months ago, and ~2 months prior to that, it had sunroof repairs.

Manager should have approved to have it replaced and called it a day. I don't know how OP approached the situation, but the facts present a decent argument by itself (i.e. been repaired before, not uncommon for sunroof to shatter from pressure differences, car still under warranty, car bought 2 months ago).

Xtrema
02-25-2013, 01:53 PM
Worse case, doesn't insurance cover this or would this be part of windshield coverage?

arkman201
02-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by nickyh
OP: I would try and see if Southcentre VW will do this as a "goodwill warranty", I did find them very fair when I had issues with my Jetta - but you need to speak to the service manager, not the techs.

It also depends on your service history with them for the warranty, I took my car exclusively to them after my final altercation with the folks at Northland VW.

I am getting a much better vibe from South Centre so far. I feel like if I had taken it to them initially I might have had a better outcome.

arkman201
02-25-2013, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Worse case, doesn't insurance cover this or would this be part of windshield coverage?

Spoke to my broker about it. Because it was not caused by a rock they won't cover it. It's considered a mechanical/maintenance problem.

Sugarphreak
02-25-2013, 02:52 PM

Kramerica
02-25-2013, 03:16 PM

Get a letter from the dealer that states "...A rock caused this..." and fax that to them

:werd:

Either way you're covered. Somehow you've fucked up on both ends and the dealers know its a rock/bird/whatever but you told your insurance that it was a mechanical fault.

89s1
02-25-2013, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by rage2

When you're stopped, sure. Problem is when you're moving at highway speeds, there's a huge pressure differential on both sides of the glass, so the glass is being pushed on with considerable force. It'll take much less additional force to break. The exploding glass effect is from the pressure differential.

This happens on every brand of car.

I gotta step in here and correct this. The exploding effect is because the glass is tempered and is, in itself, under pressure.

rage2
02-25-2013, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by 89s1
I gotta step in here and correct this. The exploding effect is because the glass is tempered and is, in itself, under pressure.
That's correct, I should've been more clear. The exploding sound effect is from the pressure, like popping a balloon. Tempered glass is designed to break into pieces.

89s1
02-25-2013, 07:56 PM
You don't even need any pressure difference. Tempered glass pops just like a balloon. It makes the popping sound and everything.

pf0sh0
02-25-2013, 08:13 PM
I have seen this happen to audi q5's and I believe they released a recall for it, not sure what the exact cause was. And nothing had actually struck it, it had something to do with the pressure and the sunroof would just shatter like OP's car.

clem24
02-26-2013, 04:18 PM
Obviously OP came on here with an agenda (to bash VW) instead of asking why his sunroof could have shattered. This happened my wife's cousin. The sunroof in his 328 (09?) shattered near Banff.. I think it's definitely an issue with modern luxury cars whereby they are sealed so tightly that nowadays that such high pressure differentials can exist and be enough to cause damage. I remember one of my old cars, I can literally see the sunroof move whenever I closed the door due to the pressure change.

Sucks but that's life. Carry on.

Kramerica
02-26-2013, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by clem24
I remember one of my old cars, I can literally see the sunroof move whenever I closed the door due to the pressure change.

Oddly enough both my cars have sunroofs, one is power and the other is old school and you have to crank it by hand.

I never thought about this until now but the power one is the only one where you see it lift a bit when you close the door. Weird tangent sorry.

Jeeper1986
02-27-2013, 08:38 AM
you should show ur dealer this video and ask them how the hell a tampered glass can break by a small flying rock while this guy with a damn hammer couldnt break a side window of a car that the side window and the top are made from the same glass lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxfTwRT48Z4

lilmira
02-27-2013, 12:17 PM
Tempered glass is pretty good for impact with a blunt object. Try hitting it again with the sharp end.

flipstah
02-27-2013, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
Tempered glass is pretty good for impact with a blunt object. Try hitting it again with the sharp end.

Or a pick-axe.

Tempered glass is so cool. It's only fucked when you hit it with a small surface area or the edges. :thumbsup:

1barA4
02-27-2013, 02:39 PM
Obviously OP came on here with an agenda (to bash VW) instead of asking why his sunroof could have shattered. This happened my wife's cousin. The sunroof in his 328 (09?) shattered near Banff.. I think it's definitely an issue with modern luxury cars whereby they are sealed so tightly that nowadays that such high pressure differentials can exist and be enough to cause damage. I remember one of my old cars, I can literally see the sunroof move whenever I closed the door due to the pressure change.

Sucks but that's life. Carry on.

Derail Part 2 -- Would this be why in newer BMWs (and other cars) that use frameless door windows, the windows lower a centimeter or to reduce the pressure when closing/opening the door? In addition to reducing window rattle I mean...

clem24
02-27-2013, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by 1barA4

Derail Part 2 -- Would this be why in newer BMWs (and other cars) that use frameless door windows, the windows lower a centimeter or to reduce the pressure when closing/opening the door? In addition to reducing window rattle I mean...

I always thought they did this because of the door seal - without it, the window might catch on the rubber. Just my guess. This is only in convertibles, no?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-27-2013, 03:30 PM

I always thought they did this because of the door seal - without it, the window might catch on the rubber. Just my guess. This is only in convertibles, no?

Not just convertibles, my coupe does it too. I think its to help sealing and wind noise as it tucks up under the edge of the frame/trim/seal.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-27-2013, 04:13 PM
http://ca.autoblog.com/2013/02/27/hyundai-recalls-veloster-shattering-sunroof/

Hyundai expanded their sunroof explosion recall.

lilmira
02-27-2013, 04:59 PM
That's about the only hope the op has for getting it reimbursed for the repair. Keep a record for everything and pray. It's very unlikely that the manufacturer will pay too much attention to a single occurrence of a broken sunroof.

arkman201
02-28-2013, 11:10 AM
Thanks everyone for your input. I learned quite a bit about the characteristics of tempered glass (and VW customer service) through all this. the car is now repaired. South Centre knocked off most of the labor charges but it still came to just shy of $2900. Live and Learn...

CalgaryXXL
03-02-2013, 06:19 PM
Safety glass has a high level of surface tension from the tempering process. If you pierce the tensioned layer it will pop similar to a bubble popping. It's not exploding though, it's all of the potential energy stored in the tempered glass "popping" at the same time.

Being showered with safety glass is a lot more pleasant than being showered with non-safety glass.

That said, why aren't they using laminated glass for something like a sunroof? Seems like it would provide a higher degree of safety?

lilmira
03-02-2013, 06:36 PM
Correction, it's under tension on the inside, compression on the outside. They "chill" the glass right out of the oven.

Reason to use tempered glass? Tempered glass removes itself when it's broken, not so much with laminated glass. Being trapped inside a vehicle after an accident is probably not a good idea.

karmaqueen
03-16-2013, 12:32 AM
I had the EXACT SAME situation happen to me yesterday!!

I also drive a VW Tiguan (2011) and was driving on the QEII north of Airdrie when all of a sudden it was like a shotgun /explosion went off! Glass flew everywhere and half my panoramic sunroof was missing. There were NO cars in front or beside me, so I strongly believe this has something to do with a seal or the glass. My car is also sitting at South Centre VW, and after reading the posts, there is no way in hell I am paying for this!! Having something like this happen is simply NOT safe, and something should be done about it. arkman201 - please feel free to message me if you wish to chat further

CanmoreOrLess
03-16-2013, 08:28 AM
You could try arbitration: http://www.camvap.ca/wp-content/uploads/CAMVAP_Flyer_English.pdf

DeeK
03-16-2013, 03:31 PM
Maybe it exploded due to karma.

Ven
03-16-2013, 03:57 PM
There were two instances of this happening on the news a few months ago. I'm not sold on it being rocks that break them in most cases, but with the cost to replace a sunroof; perhaps get it 3M'd? Mind you the manufacturer will still deny warranty anyway since you've now modified the glass with a non-OEM film.

bignerd
03-17-2013, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by karmaqueen
I had the EXACT SAME situation happen to me yesterday!!

I also drive a VW Tiguan (2011) and was driving on the QEII north of Airdrie when all of a sudden it was like a shotgun /explosion went off! Glass flew everywhere and half my panoramic sunroof was missing. There were NO cars in front or beside me, so I strongly believe this has something to do with a seal or the glass. My car is also sitting at South Centre VW, and after reading the posts, there is no way in hell I am paying for this!! Having something like this happen is simply NOT safe, and something should be done about it. arkman201 - please feel free to message me if you wish to chat further

Maybe it has to do with the fact that 3/4 of your vehicles roof consists of glass? I don't think I have seen a "sunroof" so big before... Woudl be curious to see how many of these break in summer.

2Legit2Quit
03-18-2013, 10:04 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-GZoBGTKySpM/T97BzX2ZHvI/AAAAAAAABao/-8AAxpz4-uA/s400/aliens.jpg

natty54
03-18-2013, 10:21 AM
http://www.9magazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/P08_10711.jpg

Joe-G
04-22-2013, 07:36 PM
Hmmmmmm

JWAR
06-21-2013, 04:22 PM
Same make, same brand happed two days ago. That is how I found this thread. My wife driving a VW Tiguan 2009 on the QE II around Leduc, the sunroof exploded all of a sudden and half panoramic sunroof was gone. After contact with VW Canada, they also consider it as ‘outside influence’ .

It was on sunny day, no wind. Light traffic with no nearby vehicle !

luxor
06-21-2013, 08:27 PM
Same make, same brand happed two days ago. That is how I found this thread. My wife driving a VW Tiguan 2009 on the QE II around Leduc, the tire went flat all of a sudden and all the air was gone. After contact with VW Canada, they also consider it as ‘outside influence’ .

It was on sunny day, no wind. Light traffic with no nearby vehicle !

HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE??? ZOMG! No way in hell I'm paying for this. Having something like this happen is simply NOT safe, and something should be done about it, VW needs mandatory air-less tires.

http://overyonderlust.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/276253_Papel-de-Parede-Meme-Jackie-Chan_1280x1024.jpg

Canadian Si
06-21-2013, 08:43 PM
Happend to my 2013 Mazda CX-5 a couple weeks ago! Driving down the road & my sunroof shattered! Went to the dealership & they said a rock must have hit it! Cost me $697! They wouldn't cover anything!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Caper1/20130513_155130_zpsbf2dcc47.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Caper1/media/20130513_155130_zpsbf2dcc47.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Caper1/20130513_155252_zps5075dcf7.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Caper1/media/20130513_155252_zps5075dcf7.jpg.html)

JWAR
06-21-2013, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by luxor

HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE??? ZOMG! No way in hell I'm paying for this. Having something like this happen is simply NOT safe, and something should be done about it, VW needs mandatory air-less tires.

That is right, how is that possible? We are still wrapping our heads around this lingering question.

We know must be something caused the explosion, and we are pretty sure it was not by a rock. But the chance to find out are pretty slim... Indeed it is a safety hazard.

JWAR
06-21-2013, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Canadian Si
Happend to my 2013 Mazda CX-5 a couple weeks ago! Driving down the road & my sunroof shattered! Went to the dealership & they said a rock must have hit it! Cost me $697! They wouldn't cover anything!

They all said it must be rock, otherwise how are you going to explain this? They asked me.

They would not admit any manufacturing defect if there is any.

rage2
06-21-2013, 10:21 PM
There was an article on CBC about this, and even AMA said it's most likely from a rock at some point weakening the glass, and finally popping from flex and pressure differentials.

Get some glass protection film on your new one, and call it a day.

spikerS
10-10-2014, 06:15 PM
Just wanted to bump this. I caught an example of the sunroof shattering today on the toureg in front of us on stoney today. Will upload the video when I get home.

Sugarphreak
10-10-2014, 06:21 PM

spikerS
10-10-2014, 07:10 PM
aaaaaand the video.

XFOQbPhMHbk

Excuse Baygirls' potty mouth. Be sure to 1080P and full screen it. It is pretty dramatic actually.

lilmira
10-10-2014, 07:15 PM
I seen ejector seat

AE92_TreunoSC
10-10-2014, 08:12 PM
That sucks. I'm tempted to 3m my Pano sunroof, mine's just as large as the tiguan.

I saw an article on tv showing a whiny BMW bitch that had a sunroof explode, bmw explained that Alberta has the highest rate of explosions due to road debris that we have and the type of salt we use.

I've seen every make explode. Happens more on the larger sunroofs. It always happens at higher speeds when there is a large pressure differential.