PDA

View Full Version : Engine Power 101

KAVIE
02-24-2013, 10:02 PM
Probably an easy (possibly dumb) question for an Auto forum but my Google search isn’t really providing me a clear answer.
How does one measure engine power? (L Capacity? Horsepower? Number of Cylinders?)
I drive a 2007 Ford Escape, V6, 3.0L no idea on the horsepower. It is time for a new SUV and one of my requirements is something a little more powerful, I am tired of the Escape sucking wind in the mountains trying to pass on the way out to Invermere.
Looking at possibly the Ford Explore which is V6 and 3.5L and the Range Rover Evoque which is V6 2.5L but Turbo Charged. I have a basic understanding of engine mechanics but which engine is more powerful, or the real question which will climb hills faster on the highway? How does one measure the benefit of an engine being turbo charged?
I thought maybe horsepower was the standard measurement but I notice it is not often measured at the same RPMS so not really apples to apples….
Thanks!

dirtsniffer
02-24-2013, 10:07 PM
Long story short. Look for a wide peak torque band and atleast a 6 speed transmission.

Sugarphreak
02-24-2013, 10:13 PM

DeeK
02-25-2013, 08:38 AM
One of the biggest factors is gear ratio. I've driven crappy little no power econo-boxes before that are decently quick due to the proper gear ratio.

spikerS
02-25-2013, 08:53 AM
A general rule of thumb, HP is how fast you will go based on the weight, and TQ is how fast you are going to get there. Trying to find out at what RPM puts the engine into those peak numbers helps a lot too. Most of the time, you are going to be under 2000 rpm, and only above that during acceleration and passing, so finding vehicles that put you in your high point in HP and TQ at around the 2000-2500rpm mark is ideal. Then higher RPM vehicles are going to be different as well.

Of course this is all out the window if the transmission gearing is horrible, and can't efficiently put that power down to the pavement. And then altitude as well. Numbers advertised for vehicles are sea level numbers. As you increase in altitude, those numbers will decrease. Calgary is 3300 feet above sea level, so we will always be a little slower.

long story short, there is no simple answer to the question you are asking.

KAVIE
02-25-2013, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the info and dumming it down for me!

I suppose the best idea is the simple test drive. thanks again

SkiBum5.0
02-25-2013, 11:37 AM
The turbo motor of the Evoque will also feel faster here in Calgary because forced induction (turbo or supercharger) negates the effect of altitude on HP (about 5% per 1000 feet above sea level).

Since a turbo motor is "feeding" air into the intake side of the engine under pressure (boost), the lower density of our Calgary air doesn't mean as much.

For a real world experience test drive the Explorer in Calgary and Edmonton and note the difference.

Kramerica
02-25-2013, 03:41 PM
If it's an automatic shift maps will control alot of your power if the HP is higher up in the rpms. On my SVX the shifting is typically slow as a turtle and in normal day to day driving my 90hp VW scirocco will get up to speed faster. but the SVX's auto has "POWER" mode which does nothing more than lets the engine redline every shift, if you mash the gas pedal and that little green light goes on you know it's going to go fast.

Darell_n
02-25-2013, 05:38 PM
Power is a practically useless number when it comes to SUVs or trucks. Look at torque numbers which generally will be a factor of engine size or boost. As mentioned, 6 speeds or more will help the vehicle move off the line quicker than a 5 or 4 speed transmission.

gogreen
02-27-2013, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
Long story short. Look for a wide peak torque band

That describes the Nissan Juke with the CVT:

177 lb-ft @ 2000 - 5200 rpm

Curb weight is 3153 to 3177 lb depending on trim level.