PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Gear Series #2 - Gloves

RedlineMS
02-25-2013, 10:18 AM
Here is the second installment of our motorcycle gear series - Gloves, why wear them, what we like and how to find and fit a glove that works best for you.

http://www.motorcyclehq.net/?p=598

RedlineMS
02-25-2013, 10:20 AM
Sometimes this happens.... it could have been much much worse, wear your glvoes!
Warning.... this is a little gross

bjstare
02-25-2013, 10:35 AM
My cousin had something similar (but not as bad) happen to him.

He used to like wearing dirt biking gloves while stunting because they allowed more wrist articulation. Then he flipped his 636 doing a 3rd gear standup and took off a couple of fingernails and the end of a couple knuckles, among some other skin on his arms and ass.

He was wearing jeans, boots and a leather jacket, and this still happened. Would have been way worse if I didn't convince him to change out of his surf shorts and wife beater before we left the house (which he routinely used to ride in). He is a really skilled rider, but everyone makes mistakes.

Seeing these gear/safety/info threads pop up is really great, hopefully the people reading them actually take it seriously.

Disoblige
02-25-2013, 10:37 AM
It only takes one mistake (by you or others) that could be really costly. Not worth the risk.

civic_stylez
02-25-2013, 01:43 PM
I see lots of guys riding without gloves and it baffles me. Gloves are the one piece of equipment i couldnt live without. I always wear all my gear but i could ride with out a jacket or boots and the feel would be normal but having to ride without gloves feels way to weird for me. There are alot of Evil Kinevils out there that are apparently immune to crashes and road rash..

bjstare
02-25-2013, 01:55 PM
^That's actually strange to hear. After I started wearing boots I felt super uncomfortable without them, both on dirt and street.

Might have something to do with the fact that a friend of a friend had a really low speed lowside and shattered everything in his ankle :(

And also that I crashed while wearing a hoodie once.

Seriously haven't had worse pain than road rash in my entire life.

RedlineMS
02-25-2013, 02:03 PM
Yep road rash is pretty bad, I've seen some pretty tough guys howl like coyotes after getting some rash.

Here's a pic of a guy who came into the shop to buy some gear, after slinding on the road, I guess he'd had enough of sliding on the asphalt.

Dave P
02-25-2013, 02:34 PM
My fav gloves I ever owned were my Astar GP Pro gloves. Second place (and also a smoking value for under $100) were my Joe Rocket GPX 2.0 gloves

japan_us
02-25-2013, 06:12 PM
^ I liked my GP Pros until a seam burst on me while riding at Laguna Seca. Wasn't even from a crash. I don't doubt A* quality, and it was probably just that 1/100 scenario. Plus, I've crashed in GP Pros, and they held up well.

The comfiest gloves I've ever owned are the FIVE RFX1s. They don't feel as robust as the A*s, but I've also crashed in these and they too held up nicely. But, as was the case with the GP Pros, there was some stitching issues.

Right now I'm using the Dainese Full Metal Pros. Not quite as comfy as the FIVEs, but they do feel more protective, and I haven't had any quality issues thus far - granted they're only a few thousand kms old, and have only seen street use.

Regardless of brand, I always wear full race gloves.

RedlineMS
02-26-2013, 10:03 AM
I also wear the Five RFX1's, they are the most comfortable for me on the street - which I was wearing when I sent that deer to netherland. the gloves held up really good BTW. For the track I wear the A-Stars GP-Pro and I'm trying to break-in a set of GP-Techs but the Techs are so thick, and bulky, I'm not sure they will ever get to the point where I can were them in a race. I've crashed a few times in the GP-Pro's and they are money! A very tough glove but also soft enough that the feel is pretty good too. The A-stars GP-pro/Tech seem a little more robust, but for me they aren't as comfortable as the RFX1 Fives.