PDA

View Full Version : Features That Improve Resale Value

dj_patm
02-25-2013, 03:49 PM
So if you saw my other thread, you know that I am the not so proud owner of a car that is on it's last legs and that I am in the need of a car to hold me over until I can buy a house and eventually save for a car I actually want. Because of the timing of this, buying a used car is not something that appeals to me at the moment and I have decided that I will take the hit in resale value in exchange for the piece of mind of having an inexpensive car that will be under warranty while also being far better equipped and more reliable than a used car that would fall in my current budget (financing at 0% is the main reason).

I have basically decided on the Kia Rio Hatchback (I never, in my life, thought I'd say that... :barf: ) and I'm debating if it's worth going up in trim models from the LX+ (one above the base) to the one above it.

The LX+ is already very well equipped relatively speaking (it blows my old speed 6 out of the water in terms of features) but I'm wondering what features significantly improve resale value. Some obvious ones are A/C and power everything. I think an argument can be made for Heated Seats as well, but what other things do you consider important? Is a soft dash, rearview camera or sun roof worth it? I mean to me personally, I know there is a certian price I'd be willing to pay for a used Kia Rio, regardless of how well equipped it is and since this is just a stop gap, I don't really need it to be equipped to the nines. So what do you think?

TL;DR: What features significantly improve resale value and what features are a waste?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-25-2013, 03:50 PM
Its a Rio, aircon and heated seats and an aux plugin for the stereo is about all Id ask for from a simple economy car like that.

schocker
02-25-2013, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Its a Rio, aircon and heated seats and an aux plugin for the stereo is about all Id ask for from a simple economy car like that.
:werd:
Anything beyond that would probably be a waste with regards to resale.

ercchry
02-25-2013, 03:58 PM
its a kia... expect to lose 40% value the minute you drive it off the lot

go look at leasing a jetta, they had a deal where it was $130/mnth for 3 years

Kramerica
02-25-2013, 04:03 PM
A/C would probably be the biggest thing, everything else will bring diminishing returns. It also depends how far you're planning to run it into the ground, if it's just for a few years people will be looking more for the extras, but once you start to dip sub $10K people are looking more for a reliable vehicle than fancy features.

roll_over
02-25-2013, 04:03 PM
yeah what about a car brand that holds value better and has a reputation of being reliable.

Masked Bandit
02-25-2013, 04:12 PM
The features (what you do & do not have) are not the issue. It's the badge on the car that says "Kia" that will kill your resale. Whether it's deserved or not a Kia simply will not hold value like a Honda or Toyota. You can put all the options you want in it, doesn't matter. It's still a Kia. Shedding a reputation like Kia had (has) takes decades, not a year or three of building decent cards. You say Kia, I still think junk. And when I'm looking at used, it gets even worse. Sorry boss.

dj_patm
02-25-2013, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by roll_over
yeah what about a car brand that holds value better and has a reputation of being reliable.

I looked at VW and Toyota's but niether had 0% and both a Jetta and a Yaris came out to more per month just going off of their site.

ercchry
02-25-2013, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by dj_patm

I looked at VW and Toyota's but niether had 0% and both a Jetta and a Yaris came out to more per month just going off of their site.

so? wanna lose 40% car value, or a couple bucks in interest?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-25-2013, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

so? wanna lose 40% car value, or a couple bucks in interest?

This.

Even if you can get 0.9% financing or something id go for it, I have 0.9% on my car and my total interest over 4 years was like $700 or something which is peanuts on top of the car purchase.

lilmira
02-25-2013, 04:18 PM
What's the lease rate? Just drop it off at the end of the term and let them worry about the depreciation. You'll probably pay a bit more but peace of mind is not free.

dj_patm
02-25-2013, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
What's the lease rate? Just drop it off at the end of the term and let them worry about the depreciation. You'll probably pay a bit more but peace of mind is not free.

Aren't there significant penalties for ending the lease early?

ercchry
02-25-2013, 04:25 PM

Aren't there significant penalties for ending the lease early?

that give me an idea...

how about this route?

http://www.leasebusters.com/en/details.asp?ID=129364

lilmira
02-25-2013, 04:27 PM
I'm sure there is, no different than finance. They are both on fixed terms. If you don't know how long you'll be keeping the car for. Neither will work for you.

dj_patm
02-25-2013, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

This.

Even if you can get 0.9% financing or something id go for it, I have 0.9% on my car and my total interest over 4 years was like $700 or something which is peanuts on top of the car purchase.

A civic with A/C, for example, has a sticker price of 21 grand plus a finance rate of 3.99% (again going off of their website) which is another 2 grand or so. The Kia comes out to around 18 I believe with 0%. 5 grand plus the bigger monthly payments make the decision harder then you might think.

dj_patm
02-25-2013, 04:33 PM

that give me an idea...

how about this route?

Hmmm.... You might be on to something here!

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-25-2013, 04:34 PM

A civic with A/C, for example, has a sticker price of 21 grand plus a finance rate of 3.99% (again going off of their website) which is another 2 grand or so. The Kia comes out to around 18 I believe with 0%. 5 grand plus the bigger monthly payments make the decision harder then you might think.

3.99% is to high, if you could choose between say the Rio at 0% and Civic/Corolla/Focus/Fiesta/Jetta/Golf at 0.9% at all possible id take one of those.

spikerS
02-25-2013, 04:35 PM

that give me an idea...

how about this route?

that is a good idea, as people offer incentives to take over the lease. but be careful you are not going to take over something that is going to be over mileage. make sure to get something that has enough KMs left on the lease to carry you to the end of the term.

ercchry
02-25-2013, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by spikers

that is a good idea, as people offer incentives to take over the lease. but be careful you are not going to take over something that is going to be over mileage. make sure to get something that has enough KMs left on the lease to carry you to the end of the term.

like this?

http://www.leasebusters.com/en/details.asp?ID=133227 :bigpimp:

schocker
02-25-2013, 04:40 PM
http://contents.vw.ca/vw4/specialoffers/index.php?lang=en
Jetta is a base model for $168/month, no AC though as trendline is base and trendline+ has a/c.

dj_patm
02-25-2013, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by spikers

Yeah, if I go that route, should I get it thoroughly inspected too or trust they got everything done under warranty?

ercchry
02-25-2013, 04:42 PM

Yeah, if I go that route, should I get it thoroughly inspected too or trust they got everything done under warranty?

i'd take it to the dealer it came from and get them to do a pre-lease return inspection

dj_patm
02-26-2013, 05:39 PM
So I browsed around the web for lease take overs last night and I didn't see anything that really worked but I did have a mini-breakthrough....

I realized that a 2012 WRX with extremely low milage can be had in the states for only 3-5 G's more then these cheap econo-boxes I'm looking at. Kind of makes it pointless to buy something just to take the hit and sell it in a couple years if I can get the car I want (long term) for what will essentially be 50 bucks more a month. Just checked and Subaru USA honours the warranty too.

Hmmm...

I got old car from the states too...

EK69
02-26-2013, 08:51 PM
misterbishi lancer? they are around that price range and probably wont depreciate 40%? (note, no research was done whatsoever :rofl: )

Weapon_R
02-26-2013, 10:13 PM
That Jetta for $168 would be a perfect car for now. I don't think you can get a cheaper car right now

Xtrema
02-26-2013, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
That Jetta for $168 would be a perfect car for now. I don't think you can get a cheaper car right now

Damn, that's cheap.

Strider
02-27-2013, 10:33 AM
Probably already been said, but there's no option that's going to increase the value over what you pay for it. If you spend $500 on heated seats, you might get $200 over the price of one without heated seats later... still a losing proposition.

Stick to the basics, power windows, a/c and leave it at that. Someone who's shopping for a used Kia likely isn't in the position to spend a lot on extra features.