PDA

View Full Version : City of Calgary Confirmed Grow Ops 2007 - 2011

speedog
02-25-2013, 05:29 PM
City of Calgary Confirmed Grow Ops 2007 - 2011...

PDF file (http://findcalgary.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/calgary-grow-ops.pdf)

lilmira
02-25-2013, 05:35 PM
NE? ;)

Maxt
02-25-2013, 06:00 PM
Just legalize it already and maybe we can also pass it off as C02 reduction strategy.

FixedGear
02-25-2013, 06:24 PM
This map is a good illustration of how all outskirt suburbs are slowly being ghettoized.... the NE is bad, but wait 20 years and all of Calgary will be surrounded by a ring of ghettoness. From that map, it almost seems like spread of the ghetto is facilitated by the ring road.

403_Calgary
02-25-2013, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by FixedGear
This map is a good illustration of how all outskirt suburbs are slowly being ghettoized.... the NE is bad, but wait 20 years and all of Calgary will be surrounded by a ring of ghettoness. From that map, it almost seems like spread of the ghetto is facilitated by the ring road.

Why would having a grow op make an area ghetto? Do you know how much money people make off these?

WhippWhapp
02-25-2013, 07:15 PM
Ghetto is an overused term here- see Detroit, Chicago, L.A., etc.

FixedGear
02-25-2013, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by WhippWhapp

it's all relative :dunno:

SJW
02-25-2013, 08:56 PM
Wow 25 pixels per inch. Good job City of Calgary.

Graham_A_M
02-25-2013, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by WhippWhapp

Understatement of the decade on this forum. Wow... some of you guys really need to get out more if you think Calgary has Ghetto's. A friend from Detroit was here not long ago, while taking him through Forrest lawn he was blown away we call that place a "ghetto".

Down there its a totally different world.

FixedGear
02-25-2013, 09:15 PM
obviously we all know there are shittier places in the world than NE Calgary. everyone just calls the NE the ghetto because it's the biggest shithole in Calgary. :dunno: (this shouldn't need to be explained to adults.)

Graham_A_M
02-25-2013, 09:27 PM
^ Apparently it does to some people on this forum. ;)

KappaSigma
02-25-2013, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
NE? ;)

All quandrants edges look pretty bad to me.

ndhal417
02-26-2013, 01:38 AM
Damn you cant even see my neighborhood because of all those dots. One house on my block got busted 4 years ago and its still boarded up.

black13
02-26-2013, 02:09 AM
I'm surprised there's only two in the foothills. I mean if your gonna do it might as well do it right in a bay or something. No neighbours to worry about and cover it up with a business or something. Guess I'm sounding like Walter White now.

They should just hurry up and legalize it already. I'm surprised US is ahead of Canada on this.

Kritafo
02-26-2013, 08:30 AM
lets talk about the houses that haven't made the list. There was a grow op on our street that all the neighbors called in, CPS did nothing. Guy sold the house after a small reno. It got sold and the people were having issues got a another inspection done mold everywhere. Now they are tearing it apart.

Ghetto, you can hardly call Calgary neighborhoods a ghetto...have you been to Detroit? They have ghetto's. There is a big difference.

What a piece of crap map. Wonder how much that report cost...;)

zipdoa
02-26-2013, 09:17 AM
Time to legalize... They could bust a grow op every day and still not be close to shutting 'em all down.

codetrap
02-26-2013, 09:41 AM

FixedGear
02-26-2013, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Kritafo

Ghetto, you can hardly call Calgary neighborhoods a ghetto...have you been to Detroit? They have ghetto's. There is a big difference.

Originally posted by codetrap

I find this funny. Calling any neighborhood in Calgary a ghetto is just being a drama queen. There are no actual ghetto's in Calgary, and anyone that says there are is just implying that they have no real life experience. Go walk through Oakland, or in Detroit. They have ghetto's, we don't.

obviously we all know there are shittier places in the world than NE Calgary. everyone just calls the NE the ghetto because it's the biggest shithole in Calgary. :dunno: (this shouldn't need to be explained to adults.)

EDIT: and since you all are so uptight about semantics, lets remind ourselves exactly what a "ghetto" is. From Wikipedia, which is from Merriam-Webster, "a ghetto is a part of a city in which members of a minority group live, especially because of social, legal, or economic pressure." Now we can debate about whether or not the NE actually is a ghetto, but at the end of the day people are going to call it that because it's a trashy, crime-filled area.

ZenOps
02-26-2013, 10:35 AM
Suburbia is ghetto?

Last I looked, weed was pretty damn expensive. Ridiculously so, considering technically its like corn. Far better than even Tomato > Ketchup or Peanut > Peanut Butter.

Marijuana makes local people poor because they pay far too much for it? That is the only logic I can come up with.

FixedGear
02-26-2013, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by ZenOps
Suburbia is ghetto?

Last I looked, weed was pretty damn expensive. Ridiculously so, considering technically its like corn. Far better than even Tomato > Ketchup or Peanut > Peanut Butter.

Marijuana makes local people poor because they pay far too much for it? That is the only logic I can come up with.

you're seriously trying to argue that organized crime profits make a community a desirable place to live?

dj_patm
02-26-2013, 10:41 AM

Or maybe it's an illustration that it's much easier to facilitate a grow up in newer housing.

Crazy thought.

Their are a ton of dots in the Evergreen Estates area. Those are close to million dollar homes. Good luck with your theory.

FixedGear
02-26-2013, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by dj_patm

Or maybe it's an illustration that it's much easier to facilitate a grow up in newer housing.

Crazy thought.

hey, that part was a joke man. obviously the rest of the city isn't as ghetto as the NE.

ZenOps
02-26-2013, 10:54 AM

you're seriously trying to argue that organized crime profits make a community a desirable place to live?

Well, everyone wanted to live next to Madoff and Ponzi before they got caught... OJ Simpson sure had some fab parties.

North America is still built on prosperity by consumption, not prosperity by production. The more oil you consume, the more ketchup, the more peanut butter, the more takeout food, and the more drugs (illegal or not) seems to improve the economic situation.

But I can imagine it can only last for so long... The key to prosperity by consumption is to get the consumer hooked on the commodity (oil, ketchup, peanut butter, vanilla, chocolate, drugs, etc) and then jack the prices from $3.36 to $100 (in the case of oil in 42 years)

Suprisingly, Pork is 1/2 the price it was 30 years ago. I really, really thought people would be hooked on bacon - but it appears that all you need is a flu scare and people immediately stop consuming it. Chicken has gone up 3x in the las 30 years, and is nearing its ancient rome type status (where a chicken was 8x more expensive than beef)

Marijuana? Marijuana should technically be $5 per pound.

rage2
02-26-2013, 11:02 AM
Grow ops do not make a community "ghetto". They're super low key, or they wouldn't be successful. The reason why grow ops are all over the suburbs is because it's quiet, and they all have large garages necessary to unload gear/load plants in private.

The communities that have a lot of grow ops are all areas where housing isn't ridiculously expensive, and have garages.

FixedGear
02-26-2013, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Grow ops do not make a community "ghetto". They're super low key, or they wouldn't be successful. The reason why grow ops are all over the suburbs is because it's quiet, and they all have large garages necessary to unload gear/load plants in private.

The communities that have a lot of grow ops are all areas where housing isn't ridiculously expensive, and have garages.

I absolutely agree. I was joking about the ghetto spreading from the NE to the rest of Calgary via the ring road. Clearly, the other neighborhoods with grow ops aren't anything like some of the undesirable NE hoods (some of which are in the SE according to street grid).

speedog
02-26-2013, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Low key is spot on. My kids and I used to deliver the community newsletter to a variety of homes in our community and there was one place that got busted for being a grow-op and one would've never known. We went right upon the front porch and put the newsletter in the mailbox and not once did we detect anything out of the norm. No odd or extra noises, no smells, no extra traffic and yard/home was maintained as well as everything else on the block and we had lived here for over 10 years at that time and walked by that house probably 5-10 times a week. Of note, the place did get new owners about 2 years before the grow-op was busted - younger oriental family with kids that kept to themselves although I now suspect they weren't living there - just kept up the pretense of such.

1barA4
02-26-2013, 01:15 PM

To paraphrase Chris Rock, bootlegging is a fancy white word for drug dealing when wealthy white people do it. Bootleggers and their descendants became heads of industry and established politicians, businessmen, etc.

Caveat -- Bowness. :rofl:

Maxt
02-26-2013, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by black13
I'm surprised there's only two in the foothills. I mean if your gonna do it might as well do it right in a bay or something. No neighbours to worry about and cover it up with a business or something. Guess I'm sounding like Walter White now.

They should just hurry up and legalize it already. I'm surprised US is ahead of Canada on this.
The city is to nosy when it comes to businesses. The 2 grow ops in Ogden near our old shop lasted only a couple of weeks. You get bylaw doing licensing check along with occupancy permits, fire department doing checks, etc etc.. And they tend to have over the top security.
First one was a Horse trailer manufacturing shop that they sunk concrete filled posts in front of all the bay doors of, which was kind of a giveaway that no trailers would be coming and going.
The second one was cabinet shop that was using huge amounts of water and had cameras over all the place.
Not to many people realize either that the City continually samples the sewers to see whats coming down the line and how much.

Tik-Tok
02-26-2013, 02:54 PM
This guy has a way better map (using google maps, and the actual address's)

http://www.matthewdekort.com/buyer/growops.html

ZenOps
02-26-2013, 04:23 PM
Speaking of what is illegal for growers: I always thought that Alberta, BC and Manitoba had a big potential initial market when they lift the ban on head and body armor.

I mean really, its not like you are buying a nuke, sidewinder or a gattling gun. Having 1/100th of the population with immediate access to a WWII or kevlar helmet might be prudent given the state of the US nowadays.

Too much of an advantage to the people I guess. Gotta maintain everyone as a soft target.

I should have the right to protect my head with three pounds of nickel, if they won't allow people to grow plants (vegetables on the front lawn or otherwise)

speedog
02-26-2013, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by ZenOps
I should have the right to protect my head with three pounds of nickel, if they won't allow people to grow plants (vegetables on the front lawn or otherwise)
Won't be a problem for you in Calgary as you can grow vegetables in your front yard.

ZenOps
02-26-2013, 06:21 PM
Yes, Alberta is progressive on vegetables but not so on personal protection.

It evens out - so I won't push the not being able to buy a bulletproof helmet or face six months in jail thing.

Cos
02-26-2013, 07:13 PM

codetrap
02-26-2013, 07:38 PM

FixedGear
02-26-2013, 07:51 PM

Yeah, and faggot means a bundle of sticks. So there's no reason for you to be offended when describe you as a flaming faggot.

By your definition of ghetto, Panorama is a ghetto. Britannia could be described as a ghetto. After all, there's social pressure for those rich English yuppies not to be seen in low class places like Lower Mount Royal. I guess that means that Rage2 lives in a ghetto called Arbour Lake since it's comprised of mostly Asians of a specific income bracket.

As far as the NE being a trashy, crime filled area? Your ignorance and racism is showing through pretty good. "People" don't call the NE a ghetto. Only ignorant racist yuppie wannabies call it a ghetto in order to feel superior, or the "hardcore" kids living there so they can feel tough.

As far as the grow ops go? The more the merrier. Re-mediating them is proving to be a VERY lucrative business and will hopefully allow me to retire rich and unknown at a reasonable age.

get over it, people are going to call the NE a ghetto no matter what you type on the internet. :rofl: I'm still gonna call it that too.

EDIT: BTW, a google search for "NE Calgary ghetto" brings up over 27 million results... ;)

Kritafo
02-26-2013, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
This guy has a way better map (using google maps, and the actual address's)

http://www.matthewdekort.com/buyer/growops.html

Thanks much better map!

and I don't use the term ghetto maybe because I have seen the ghetto's in Detroit and I can't compare anything in Calgary to that.

codetrap
02-26-2013, 08:24 PM

01RedDX
02-26-2013, 08:48 PM

71/454
02-26-2013, 10:31 PM

Fixedgear fag brings up 6.2 million results. Does that make it true?

"Santa Clause is real" brings 34M hits.

"just because people do it, doesn't make it right" brings up 370M hits.

Best reply ever!

Sugarphreak
02-26-2013, 10:38 PM

FixedGear
02-26-2013, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by 71/454

Best reply ever!

How so? Not only did he start hurling baseless insults (a last resort when someone has no real argument), but he missed my point entirely. :rofl:

ekguy
02-27-2013, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Maxt
Just legalize it already and maybe we can also pass it off as C02 reduction strategy.

yep...would totally do my part in helping the environment lol.