PDA

View Full Version : Daily pill supplement regime advice

vengie
02-25-2013, 06:21 PM
Hey guys,
I am a fairly healthy eater, but believe a little added boost never hurts.

I just want to get some advice as to what I take daily (pill form) and if it's too much or not.

- multi vitamin
- 1000mg vitamin c
- 50mg zinc
- 3 fish oils.

And recently picked up some turmeric capsules which recommend 3 a day.

Thoughts?

Tej.S
02-25-2013, 06:24 PM
Looks fine, but doesn't your multi-vitamins already have zinc and vitamin C in them already?

vengie
02-25-2013, 06:34 PM
Yes but does not have the amounts listed.
It's a "Metagenics" multi vitamin, I'll be buying a different brand as soon as they're gone.

403ep3
02-25-2013, 06:41 PM
I take 6 multivitamins
6 fish oils
4 bcaa everyday

scboss
02-25-2013, 09:41 PM
Animal Pak and Glucosamine seem to be working well for me

ExtraSlow
02-25-2013, 10:33 PM
I'm big on Vitamin D.

ddduke
02-25-2013, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by warcaster
Animal Pak and Glucosamine seem to be working well for me

Animal Pak and 6 fish oil for me

ReflexFX
02-25-2013, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I'm big on Vitamin D.

This. There are so many benefits, and since we don't always get as much sunlight as we should in the winter months, you might wanna consider including some vitamin D pills in there.

SHO
02-25-2013, 10:59 PM
If your physically active taking large amounts of supplements and vitamins is always a good thing. Omega 3 are good, just limit any 3-6-9 omegas to two max per day.

I am currently on a 60 pill/ tablet retinue and if I wouldn't change a thing. I am healthier than I've ever been. Power on and good luck!:)

roopi
02-25-2013, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by 403ep3
I take 6 multivitamins
6 fish oils
4 bcaa everyday

Why 6 multis? Doesn't 1 multi have the recommended daily dose?

Redlined_8000
02-25-2013, 11:08 PM
I usually do:

Vitamin D approx 5000 UI
Fish Oil approx 5-6 grams
NOW ADAM Multi vitamin
Sometimes also ZMA before bed

For the vitamin D its really easy if you can find it in liquid form in concentration of 1 drop = 1000 UI and I usually just do 5 drops into my teaspoon of fish oil.

I haven't had the flue or any sickness at all for almost 2 years now. Good stuff!

Tej.S
02-25-2013, 11:45 PM
Red~, did ZMA work for you at all? I tried it out and was a waste of money for me lol. Although the reason being is that I'm still quite young and my test levels are peaking, so I should have figured before hand.

SHO
02-25-2013, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Tej.S
Red~, did ZMA work for you at all? I tried it out and was a waste of money for me lol. Although the reason being is that I'm still quite young and my test levels are peaking, so I should have figured before hand.

Yep too young, wait till your in your mid 30's than you'll see better effects. But for the costs there are better products on the market. Try the musclepharm products. Better product less money. Any time you get capsules you are paying more for the packaging.

Tej.S
02-26-2013, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by SHO

Yep too young, wait till your in your mid 30's than you'll see better effects. But for the costs there are better products on the market. Try the musclepharm products. Better product less money. Any time you get capsules you are paying more for the packaging.

Yeah, I've tried MP's products(love their protein :drool: ). But as I've gained knowledge, I've learned not to waste money on supplements I don't need. At this rate, it's Costco's Kaizen protein for life :D

403ep3
02-26-2013, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by roopi

Why 6 multis? Doesn't 1 multi have the recommended daily dose?

The multis I take have a 6/day daily dose

A790
02-26-2013, 03:52 PM
1 multi
6 x Omega 3-6-9

That's it :)

flipstah
02-26-2013, 03:53 PM
I take 2 Activ-X pills everyday after breakfast. It has the following:

http://www.platinumnaturals.com/admin/sources/editor/assets/234-235.ActivXmen_SupplementFacts.pdf

trollolhah
02-26-2013, 04:01 PM
Caps:

- VitaFreak Multivitamins 8 caps
- x2 fish oil
- x2 glutamin
- x2 BCAA
- x2 CLA
- x1 Sesamin
- Magnesium
- Zinc

Powders:
- L-carnitine
- BCAA

Redlined_8000
02-26-2013, 04:05 PM

Helps me sleep better. But other than that cant tell to much!

Shlade
02-26-2013, 07:50 PM
My morning routine is usually

3x Vitamin D (1000iu each... had low Vitamin D so my intake is upped a little)
2x Fish oil Pills
1x Multi Vitamin

And when Im trying to cut down I do 3 ephedrine and 2 caffeine pills in the mix as well.

Should probably start taking my BCAA pills again been sorta slacking.

Tej.S
02-27-2013, 12:22 AM
Also OP, for what it's worth, your vitamin C and zinc intake is well over your daily % value(especially the Vit C). You don't even need that much vitamin C so if you wanted, you could tone it down a bit since you're taking in around 1500% of your daily value :p

EK69
02-27-2013, 01:29 AM
and you just end up pissing away the extra vitamin c anyways :burnout:

schocker
02-27-2013, 10:22 AM
Have any of you tried these:
http://ca.bodybuilding.com/store/nb/multi.html
$15/30days
Was debating that or orange triad for next multi

Tej.S
02-27-2013, 06:31 PM
That doesn't look so bad, but I wonder how big the pills must be lol. Personally, I just stick to ON's Opti-Men, they have a very good supplement/ingredient profile.

EK69
03-09-2013, 03:07 PM
What about bcaa pills?
There's a shit ton to read on the topic and I'm not a heavy reader lol

What are the most effective supplements that should be taken with weight training when trying to build muscle and size up. I'm 6 foot and around 185-190 lbs

Tej.S
03-09-2013, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by EK69
What about bcaa pills?
There's a shit ton to read on the topic and I'm not a heavy reader lol

What are the most effective supplements that should be taken with weight training when trying to build muscle and size up. I'm 6 foot and around 185-190 lbs

To be a 100% honest, you don't need BCAA's. If you have some extra cash lying around, then grab some BCAA's. Powder form would be better than pills because it's absorbed easier/more efficiently, but pills are just as good(not a VERY significant difference, they still provide you with what you pay for).

As for your question, just get some protein and if you'd like, creatine. Before you start blowing money on supplements, start spending wisely on FOOD. Other than the two aforementioned supplements, anything else isn't necessary, they're just "extras".

schocker
03-09-2013, 06:22 PM
triset10
is the new 10% off code on bb.com for those wanting to order something.
I was figuring
Orange Triad
ON Fish Oil Caps
Green Tea Extract
Purple Wraath/White Flood combo
Glutamine Caps

revelations
03-09-2013, 06:25 PM
Want an opinion on something:

What vitamins/minerals are there that we often dont get enough of, but are hard to OD on ?

I'm thinking of things like:

Magnesium
Potassium
vitamin C

Anything else you would add?

Things like Vitamin D3 are not good in large quantities.

EK69
03-09-2013, 06:33 PM

To be a 100% honest, you don't need BCAA's. If you have some extra cash lying around, then grab some BCAA's. Powder form would be better than pills because it's absorbed easier/more efficiently, but pills are just as good(not a VERY significant difference, they still provide you with what you pay for).

As for your question, just get some protein and if you'd like, creatine. Before you start blowing money on supplements, start spending wisely on FOOD. Other than the two aforementioned supplements, anything else isn't necessary, they're just "extras".
Yeah I get that spending money on proper food is better than supplements but I know I dont get proper and complete nutrition from my food so I'm looking to supplement with some multivitamins and whatever else

I'm asking this because I'm basically starting from scratch in the supplement area and don't have any products other than protein powder and fish oil capsules. I don't want to waste time and money with extra crap that has marginal benefits that's why I'm asking about bcaa powder or capsules cuz every thread I read on the net usually says its a good idea to aid with muscle growth. Also have some creatine powder I can use too.

I do have fat and crap to shed as well but those caffeine pills etc seem like a waste of time. I was reading something ecgc stacks? Or something alone those lines? I can't remember exactly... And how some ppl felt jittery and like their heart was gonna give out from that? Wtf is that stuff? So I don't screw myself over lol.

And I could use suggestions on specific brands of multivitamins and what ever other stuff I should be taking. I have kaizen protein from Costco so I'm good with that but I need whatever other stuff.

//edit
I have creatine monohydrate which I can take too
From my reading it seems this is the better stuff

I've read about animal pak, gnc brand, orange triad, and few other multivitamins. I don't mind taking a few pills at a time I'm just looking for all around good multivitamins that are "good" and not a waste of cash for the brand.

Also read that more calories are neede to sustain muscle than fat. But Dont wanna sit There and load up on carbs to get calories... As I do have belly fat and I don't wanna make it grow lol. So how do these "macros" I read about everywhere work?? "keep it within ur macros" type stuff is what I'm talking about

max_boost
03-09-2013, 06:37 PM
USANA multi-vitamin
Carlson fish oil
Vitamin D3
ZMA

Not sure how well the ZMA is to be honest but like Redlined_8000 said I do sleep better. It helps me dream whereas without it, I don't dream. :confused:

EK69
03-09-2013, 06:50 PM
What brand zma do u guys take? Some different brands have different quantities of each of the 3 ingredients. Sleeping better is something I could use too. From what I understand zma is good for helping increase testosterone levels (which is good for muscle growth)? I'm not all that young anymore so it might not be a bad idea lol

max_boost
03-09-2013, 06:54 PM
I use All Max.

Redlined_8000
03-09-2013, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
USANA multi-vitamin
Carlson fish oil
Vitamin D3
ZMA

Not sure how well the ZMA is to be honest but like Redlined_8000 said I do sleep better. It helps me dream whereas without it, I don't dream. :confused:

Ya it makes me dream too. good stuff!

EDIT:
Heres what i use.
http://www.truenutrition.com/p-1095-zma-g-5905mg-capsules-180-capsules.aspx

If you want 5% off put axg725 in discount code section for that site.

Tej.S
03-09-2013, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by EK69

Yeah I get that spending money on proper food is better than supplements but I know I dont get proper and complete nutrition from my food so I'm looking to supplement with some multivitamins and whatever else

I'm asking this because I'm basically starting from scratch in the supplement area and don't have any products other than protein powder and fish oil capsules. I don't want to waste time and money with extra crap that has marginal benefits that's why I'm asking about bcaa powder or capsules cuz every thread I read on the net usually says its a good idea to aid with muscle growth. Also have some creatine powder I can use too.

I do have fat and crap to shed as well but those caffeine pills etc seem like a waste of time. I was reading something ecgc stacks? Or something alone those lines? I can't remember exactly... And how some ppl felt jittery and like their heart was gonna give out from that? Wtf is that stuff? So I don't screw myself over lol.

And I could use suggestions on specific brands of multivitamins and what ever other stuff I should be taking. I have kaizen protein from Costco so I'm good with that but I need whatever other stuff.

//edit
I have creatine monohydrate which I can take too
From my reading it seems this is the better stuff

I've read about animal pak, gnc brand, orange triad, and few other multivitamins. I don't mind taking a few pills at a time I'm just looking for all around good multivitamins that are "good" and not a waste of cash for the brand.

Also read that more calories are neede to sustain muscle than fat. But Dont wanna sit There and load up on carbs to get calories... As I do have belly fat and I don't wanna make it grow lol. So how do these "macros" I read about everywhere work?? "keep it within ur macros" type stuff is what I'm talking about

If you're taking Kaizen, don't spend money on BCAA's since Kaizen has a good amino profile in it's ingredients. BCAA's help with recovery(which ties in to growth, but you get what I mean).

If you have fat to shed, you COULD use caffeine pills if you feel sluggish during the day but don't take them for the sole reason of trying to burn fat. They're fairly cheap whether or not you decide to use them. As for an ECA stack, if you don't really know what you're getting in to, don't use it. ECA is epedrine, caffeine, and aspirin. Here's a link to everything you need to know about ECA (http://www.hotnfit.com/fat_loss/ecstack.html)

Creatine monohydrate is great :) If it's micronized, it's even better. I forgot to add that multi-vitamins would be a great addition(look up ON's opti-men, it's great) and if you're taking fish oils, that's good as well.

As for macros.. well, here's another member that was asking a similar question and I kind of explained how it worked. Eating carbs won't give you a belly, being on a caloric surplus will:
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/367170/feeling-better-and-getting-healthy/

elite
03-10-2013, 12:02 AM
I'm currently taking:
6x Fish oil (3 morning/3 evening)
2x Multi's (1 morning/1 evening)
2x Milk Thistle (1 morning/1 evening)
2x Green Tea Extract (1 morning/1 evening)
2x Vitamin D (2 evening)

Also take a teaspoon of metamucil in the morning and sometimes evening to up the amount of fibre intake I get. I probably will be increasing the fish oil just to finish it faster so I can get the liquid form. Whats a good vitamin d daily intake? I have heard 5000 iu is a good intake but have heard of people taking 10000+ iu per day. I believe my pills are 1000 iu each but i am looking to up the dosage and was wondering if I should even be worrying about toxicity?

Tej.S
03-10-2013, 12:59 AM
Unless you're vitamin d deficient, there's no need to take unnecessary dosages.

Redlined_8000
03-10-2013, 11:38 AM
Unless you're vitamin d deficient, there's no need to take unnecessary dosages.

Almost everyone is vitamin d deficient in Alberta imo. I know I was only about 30% of what normal levels was. It's hard to get sun up here.

Tej.S
03-10-2013, 11:59 AM
I searched around on numerous sites, but they all seem to give different info. From what I read, the tolerable level for vit D varies from 4000-10000UI. I guess if you were to take a high dosage, just get your blood work done to see if everything is still okay.

elite
03-10-2013, 03:34 PM
Yeah like redlyne said its hard to get enough sun in alberta especially during the winter when your working during the day and its dark when you get off. I will try upping it to 5000 iu and see how that works.

KRyn
03-10-2013, 05:11 PM
I searched around on numerous sites, but they all seem to give different info. From what I read, the tolerable level for vit D varies from 4000-10000UI. I guess if you were to take a high dosage, just get your blood work done to see if everything is still okay.

Check out some of Charles Poliquin's writing. He will set you straight on a lot of what has been asked in this thread (zing, magnesium, vit d and much more).

rob the knob
03-10-2013, 05:25 PM
do anyone take anything for man functions, specific to increase volume you shoot?

i think someone on here sell stuff specific for this, can't remember.

403ep3
03-10-2013, 05:45 PM
hmm ZMA sounds interesting.. I may need to put an order in soon..

Tej.S
03-10-2013, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by rob the knob
do anyone take anything for man functions, specific to increase volume you shoot?

Depending on your age, you could try ZMA(as many people have stated that it helps to increase test levels). That's probably the most subtle supplement in regards to that specific use. You could also just take zinc alone. I have also heard that wheat germ helps(you can eat with oatmeal).

403ep3
03-10-2013, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by schocker
triset10
is the new 10% off code on bb.com for those wanting to order something.
I was figuring
Orange Triad
ON Fish Oil Caps
Green Tea Extract
Purple Wraath/White Flood combo
Glutamine Caps

Did you make your order yet?

rob the knob
03-10-2013, 06:10 PM
why age? too young to take or too old, is concern?

Depending on your age, you could try ZMA(as many people have stated that it helps to increase test levels). That's probably the most subtle supplement in regards to that specific use. You could also just take zinc alone. I have also heard that wheat germ helps(you can eat with oatmeal).

KRyn
03-10-2013, 07:02 PM

RopeX, lets group buy?

http://www.ropexusa.com/

Tej.S
03-10-2013, 07:21 PM
why age? too young to take or too old, is concern?

The benefits of ZMA aren't worth spending money on if you're young(25 or younger). Many, many people look towards ZMA to boost their testosterone levels(even if it's slight), but there's no point if your test levels are already peaking. Of course everyone is different, but around mid-late 20's is the average age when test levels start to decrease.

rob the knob
03-10-2013, 07:33 PM
thanks TEJ.S,

i will research for more, i like what i hear so far.

do you have a store to recommend to buy from?

The benefits of ZMA aren't worth spending money on if you're young(25 or younger). Many, many people look towards ZMA to boost their testosterone levels(even if it's slight), but there's no point if your test levels are already peaking. Of course everyone is different, but around mid-late 20's is the average age when test levels start to decrease.

max_boost
03-10-2013, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by KRyn

RopeX, lets group buy?

http://www.ropexusa.com/

Interesting.

This is what I found. http://www.performanceinsiders.com/ropex.html

Does it work? haha

A790
03-10-2013, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Interesting.

This is what I found. http://www.performanceinsiders.com/ropex.html

Does it work? haha
What the fuck do you think? lol

:poosie:

Tej.S
03-10-2013, 08:15 PM
thanks TEJ.S,

i will research for more, i like what i hear so far.

do you have a store to recommend to buy from?

No problem man, always willing to help :D if you're looking to buy ZMA, I'd probably recommend either Popeyes or Samson's. They're both fairly cheap(compared to places like GNC). I'm not a 100% sure if other general stores like vitamin outlets in malls, would carry ZMA(don't see why not, but you never know).

Tej.S
03-10-2013, 08:17 PM
No clinical studies on Ropex, limited ingredient information? Red flags for anyone else?

A790
03-10-2013, 08:20 PM
No clinical studies on Ropex, limited ingredient information? Red flags for anyone else?
Obvious scam is obvious.

Tej.S
03-10-2013, 08:27 PM
Let's order anyway :D lol I could actually see tons of people falling for their BS claims.

fiveowed
03-10-2013, 08:30 PM

L-arginine
zinc

and lots of celery a few hours before you do the deed.

max_boost
03-10-2013, 09:04 PM
Yes ZMA helps. I believe in Zinc and Oysters. hahaha

KRyn
03-10-2013, 09:06 PM
Let's order anyway :D lol I could actually see tons of people falling for their BS claims.

My buddies wife mentioned it was fairly effective.

EK69
03-10-2013, 09:09 PM
Hahah rob the knob fucked this thread :rofl:

403ep3
03-10-2013, 11:10 PM
I clicked on that link at work and quickly hit alt f4 -_-