PDA

View Full Version : Most scenic route - Spokane to Calgary

thedude99
02-25-2013, 10:44 PM
We will be in Spokane for a wedding in Spring. Driving down we will take the most direct route. On the way back though we want to take about a week to get back to Calgary. What is the most scenic route and what are some points to stop at? I was thinking Spokane to Nelson to Revelstoke? I know around Nelson it is really scenic and there is a ghost town I can't recall the name of I want to check out.

89s1
02-25-2013, 11:18 PM
Maybe hit the frank slide site if you've never seen it.

flipstah
02-25-2013, 11:19 PM
On the way back, you can turn right towards Highway 2 towards Libby, Montana.

My manager said it's a great mountainous road to drive in. Nice lake at the end too.

JfuckinC
02-25-2013, 11:25 PM
2 >20 > 31 > 6 > 3?

I drove that once bringing a boat home from down there and thought it was nice... i think thats the route i took.

rage2
02-25-2013, 11:47 PM
http://www.silverwoodthemepark.com/

Kinda out of the way for any scenic routes though.

MrSector9
02-26-2013, 12:02 AM
do not go to revelstoke, if anything drive up to nelson, then cross in balfour, drive down all along the lakes and then through the frank slide part. awesome drive.

Waldi
02-26-2013, 12:29 PM
Take 22 x to Crossnest pass, hwy 3 to Cranbrook, follow to Moye and Kings Gate, from ther to Sandpoint and Spokane. other option is going via Monata off hwy 3 past Elko and the only thing drive is magnificent along lakes in the mountains but it is very winding road.

sputnik
02-26-2013, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Waldi
Take 22 x to Crossnest pass, hwy 3 to Cranbrook, follow to Moye and Kings Gate, from ther to Sandpoint and Spokane.

The stretch from Yahk to Coeur d'Alene is a really nice drive.

flipstah
02-26-2013, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Waldi
Take 22 x to Crossnest pass, hwy 3 to Cranbrook, follow to Moye and Kings Gate, from ther to Sandpoint and Spokane. other option is going via Monata off hwy 3 past Elko and the only thing drive is magnificent along lakes in the mountains but it is very winding road.

:thumbsup:

You need a fun car to boot. The Golf did quite nice on the winding roads.

OP, our family annually goes west for a drive and just came back from Seattle and Vancouver over the weekend.

This was a fun drive in a fun car.

frozenrice
02-26-2013, 08:32 PM
We did this trip last summer. Took highway 22 south and then west on #3 (you'll go through Frank Slide in this direction) then onto 95 south into the US. On 95 south, you'll pass Silverwood on the way to Coeur d'alene. Coeur d'alene is about 45mins from Spokane.

On the drive back we went US395 north to Kettle Falls and then west on state highway 20 through to US97 north to the border at Osoyoos

The drive on state highway 20 was fun. Scenic, lots of curves and we pretty much drove alone the whole stretch. I think I could have counted on one hand how many other cars we saw on that 2 hour stretch. I'd advise that you make sure your brakes are up to snuff though and take it real careful on some of the corners. There were a few corners that aren't meant to be taken fast by a minivan ;). If you have any kind of mechanical troubles (or worse a crash), you'll be SOL getting any kind of cell reception or passing vehicles.