PDA

View Full Version : Damage Estimate -- How Much does it cost?

Femme
02-27-2013, 10:42 PM
I got hit by a car today, and the left front side of the car got dented in, near the tire, and definitely a part of the bumper.

I'm wondering how much I am expected to pay for a mechanic to take a look at it and inspect any internal damage. The external damage is quite obvious, but I want to have peace of mind as to the internal integrity of the vehicle.

Should I report the accident right away to my insurance company, and have them send their representative to assess the damage on my cost instead?

Will I have to make a claim on my insurance company if I notified them of the accident?

I plan on going to my insurance company tomorrow morning and ask them, just hoping for some quick responses here for the mean time.

Thanks.

FraserB
02-27-2013, 10:44 PM
What kind of car?

Year, make, model?

Femme
02-27-2013, 11:11 PM
2001 Chevy Malibu 4 door

2BLUE
02-27-2013, 11:15 PM
100% its wrote off.

Femme
02-27-2013, 11:17 PM
How so?

2BLUE
02-27-2013, 11:35 PM
2001 Malibu car is old, no value.

Saw a few today selling for no more then $750

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-28-2013, 08:03 AM
It will most likely be a write off by the insurance company, the vehicle is quite old and not worth very much anymore.

Post pics of the damage.

ExtraSlow
02-28-2013, 09:06 AM
If the supports for the bumper are damaged, it'll be at least a $2000 repair. If the fender is damaged (and that's hard to see sometimes), it'll be at least $3500.

Write-off.

DeleriousZ
02-28-2013, 09:34 AM
Man I still consider a 2000+ a 'new' car. Gotta get with the times apparently lol.

dirtsniffer
02-28-2013, 10:07 AM
Don't report accidents to your insurance that are not your fault. Unless the at faults insurance is prooving to be very difficult to work with.

rated_R
02-28-2013, 01:05 PM
I thought you could get a free estimate done at any bodyshop, just drive by and ask them to give you an estimate for the damage, most body shops don't mind dealing with insurance companies if you're going through your insurance.

DEATH2000
02-28-2013, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
Don't report accidents to your insurance that are not your fault. Unless the at faults insurance is prooving to be very difficult to work with.
Im pretty sure the other driver will though. Specially if theirs enough damage to total the OP's car.

ercchry
02-28-2013, 06:49 PM

if you have full coverage and are not at fault call your own company and make them work for those premiums :nut:

Tik-Tok
02-28-2013, 07:56 PM
Just remember Femme, if it is a write-off, do NOT take their first offer of money, you can and should argue for more. Do your research, find out what other 2001 Malibu's sell for (on kijiji etc.), then add 30% because "your car was very reliable" (also as negotiating room). Also any repairs you've dine in the past few months can be added on top if you still have receipts.

dirtsniffer
03-01-2013, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

if you have full coverage and are not at fault call your own company and make them work for those premiums :nut:

It varies, but generally after two not at faults in 3 years your premiums will go up.

CalgaryXXL
03-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Man take the write off value if you can get it. When I left Winnipeg in December I couldn't get $500 for my 2001 Malibu LS away with a fresh safety certificate and that city LOVES winter beaters for $500.

I ended up giving it to a friend, traded it for help installing a laminate floor.

clem24
03-06-2013, 01:53 PM

WUT?? You report ALL accidents to YOUR insurance, regardless of fault. Your insurance company will then deal with it; in the case of not at fault, they'll be the liaison between you and the third party and their respective insurance company.

The only time you would not do it is if the third party wrote you a cheque out of their pocket.

dirtsniffer
03-06-2013, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by clem24

WUT?? You report ALL accidents to YOUR insurance, regardless of fault. Your insurance company will then deal with it; in the case of not at fault, they'll be the liaison between you and the third party and their respective insurance company.

The only time you would not do it is if the third party wrote you a cheque out of their pocket.

It varies, but generally after two not at faults in 3 years your premiums will go up.

clem24
03-06-2013, 04:44 PM
^^ Since when? Is this just hearsay or actual truth? I've never heard of insurance going up because of not at fault accidents.

In any event, my point is, if the accident is going through insurance, you always make the claim with your own insurance company, regardless of fault.

dirtsniffer
03-06-2013, 04:57 PM
It's the truth. Specifics will vary by policy.

No you don't need to tell your insurance company when your in an accident that isn't your fault. Unless you need help.

Kramerica
03-06-2013, 05:00 PM
If the other guy goes to his insurance agent you should go to yours. Having said that, if the other guy doesn't want to go through insurance for whatever reason you can use that to your advantage. You've got nothing to lose by going to your insurance if he gives you a shitty deal.