PDA

View Full Version : Hyundai Owners - Dealership buyback letter

Royle9
02-28-2013, 09:05 AM
Curious to know if anyone else here received a letter from your Hyundai dealership offering above market value and $2000 + dollar voucher to sell your current vehicle that is currently "in high demand" back to them and get something new at better rates/cheaper payments and up to $10,000 off the MSRP.

I've never seen one of these, but received one in the mail yesterday with a code and a number to call to discuss options. I drive a 2011 Gen coupe, I'm not sure if EVERYONE gets these and its more of a "scam like" BS incentive thing or if these are actually legit.

Anyone have experience with this?

Mibz
02-28-2013, 09:14 AM
Everybody gets them. It's not a scam per se but it's certainly not as good as it sounds.

Basically it's "We'll give you the value of your car + $3,000 and then charge you sticker price + $2,000 in fees for a new vehicle".

spikerS
02-28-2013, 09:14 AM
oh yeah, I got them when I bought my PT cruiser way back the day, and for my Jeep as well.

They dont care about your current vehicle, if it is something they think they can sell, they will keep it, otherwise it goes to auction or a 3rd rate dealer like farmer jones cars.

This is just a way to try and generate sales, and increase their numbers, and get more traffic into the showroom. It is very similar to cold calls. As far as the over valuation and bonus cash, it is already built into the vehicles, or you won't get it.

Royle9
02-28-2013, 09:20 AM
Yea, I figured this was just a marketing ploy to get as many people in the door as possible. One of those "if its too good to be true" type scenarios.

Straight into the recycle bin, thanks guys.:thumbsup:

G
02-28-2013, 10:13 AM
I got the same thing Hyatt Mercedes.

"We would like to make you an offer to exchange your Mercedez-Benz for any new 2013 Mercedes-Benz. With factory incentives such as 1.4% APR, factory rebates of up to $15, 000 on select models and a savings voucher for $2000, making a potential incentive of up to $17, 000, depending on the model you choose. We feel confident that you can make this exchange with little or no out of pocket expense, as well as a monthly payment that suits your budget."

Strider
02-28-2013, 10:18 AM
I got the same offer to "upgrade" my 2013 bmw to a new 2013 bmw :facepalm:

nobb
02-28-2013, 10:26 AM
Im curious now, as I also have a 2011 Genesis Coupe. I hate the exterior of the new 2013 GC, but the interior is sexy and so is the new 2.0T engine with direct injection. That being said, I would be suspicious of what their definition of market value is...Hyundais depreciate like a rock. Can I step out of my paid off 2011 and into a 2013 with no out of pocket expenses? Probably not.

benyl
02-28-2013, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by G

"We would like to make you an offer to exchange your Mercedez-Benz for any new 2013 Mercedes-Benz. With factory incentives such as 1.4% APR, factory rebates of up to $15, 000 on select models and a savings voucher for $2000, making a potential incentive of up to $17, 000, depending on the model you choose. We feel confident that you can make this exchange with little or no out of pocket expense, as well as a monthly payment that suits your budget."

I bet that $15K only applies to an S65 AMG. The C class incentive is probably $2K

G
02-28-2013, 10:36 AM
I think so too. If I sell the C63 now I will take a huge hit. What do you think a 2010 (29K km) with the performance package and carbon fibre option is worth?

I have a thing for the Sequoia lately...love the massive size of that thing.

Kloubek
02-28-2013, 10:37 AM
We got the same notice from Hyundai last week. I didn't see it, but my wife told me some high-level details. What she said sounded great, and there might very well be a deal to be had but as I told her- they are in business to make money. At the end of the day, you can rest assured it isn't nearly the amazing offer they're claiming it to be.

Royle9
02-28-2013, 10:56 AM
What I'm hearing is the deal works out to be no better and usually worse then what you could get from a private sale. They then only offer you a fraction of the 10-15k "price knock off" of a new vehicle and expect you to choose a vehicle that is ON THE LOT.

I read about a few people calling to inquire and they just jerk you around and tell you that you have to come down etc etc. Over all like everyone here says, this isn't worth it at all.

heavyD
02-28-2013, 12:19 PM
I remember getting the notice from Platinum Mitsubishi that for a week preferred customers could get any new Mitsubishi on their lot for dealer invoice pricing. Considering I had tried and failed numerous times to get them to take any money off EVO's I was skeptical but checked it out and ended up getting my MR at invoice pricing.

Tik-Tok
02-28-2013, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Everybody gets them. It's not a scam per se but it's certainly not as good as it sounds.

Basically it's "We'll give you the value of your car + $3,000 and then charge you sticker price + $2,000 in fees for a new vehicle".

That's why you negotiate your new car price (in writing), THEN tell them "Oh yar, I forgot to mention, I have this trade in, and this letter from your dealership" :rofl:

It's funny though, I got a letter from Advantage Ford, even though I traded my mustang in to them 5 years ago and bought a used audi off their lot, lol.

Mibz
02-28-2013, 02:19 PM
I -still- get letters from Tower Chrysler even though I only took my Jeep there for service twice.

"Your 2001 Cherokee is in high demand, trade it in now and get a great deal on a Chrysler 200!"

m10-power
02-28-2013, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

That's why you negotiate your new car price (in writing), THEN tell them "Oh yar, I forgot to mention, I have this trade in, and this letter from your dealership" :rofl:

I wonder how that would play out...

;)

nobb
02-28-2013, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by m10-power

I wonder how that would play out...

;)

From my experience with the local Hyundai dealers, trying to get a total out the door price from the salesmen before putting down a deposit is like trying to pull teeth from someone's mouth with tweezers.

Redlyne_mr2
02-28-2013, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by G

The GM at Hyatt MB used to manage a Hyundai store so that doesn't surprise me that they're trying those tactics.

canadian_hustla
02-28-2013, 08:54 PM
you should wait until you get calls about the same thing... my wife got one a year ago from Mazda

Hi, its xxx from Mazda at xxxx location. We would like to let you know that your current car a 2007 Mazda 3 GS is in very high demand and we have old stock on the lot so come on in and we can exchange it for you..

so we went to the dealership, guy told her that they would buy her car back at $3000 less than her loan (GREAT DEAL LOL), but would amortize the payments over 84 months so that her payment would be the same:nut:

Royle9
03-01-2013, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by nobb

From my experience with the local Hyundai dealers, trying to get a total out the door price from the salesmen before putting down a deposit is like trying to pull teeth from someone's mouth with tweezers.

It's funny you mention that because it is oh so true. Crowfoot jerked me around for a good 45 minutes even after telling the salesman I was ready to purchase the car today.

Went to Calgary Hyundai and got an even better deal instantly, no questions asked, no "sales manager" BS tactic needed.