PDA

View Full Version : Inguinal Hernia

89coupe
02-28-2013, 04:31 PM
Anyone ever have one? If so, who did your surgery, when, where, what type of repair, and how are you now?

Thanks!

speedog
02-28-2013, 05:13 PM
Oldest son (now 21) had one about a year ago - his was determined to have been congenital (there since birth) and only became evident as he moved into competitive wrestling at a university/adult level. At first, he only noticed a bulge that hurt and that would go away. The next wrestling meet or practice he had a big bulge that he pushed back in and soon after that point his coach and trainers took him off the mat because of how serious the situation could have been if it happened on the mat in the midst of a bout. His was located lower down on his abdomen and the tear got large enough that he was able to pop his intestines through while playing his trumpet - he would calmly turn around and pop things back in place. He went for surgery at the Peter Lougheed and they intertwined what I remember to be a Gor-Tex mesh surgical product into the surrounding muscle tissue with the end result being that his muscles would grow into this mesh and everything would be as new. Fast forward about a year to today and he is back competing on the mat with no issues.

kvg
02-28-2013, 05:56 PM
I had one fixed about ten years ago and the doctor used mesh and I haven't had any problems, except it aches if any pressure is applied or wear anything with I tight waist band.

89coupe
02-28-2013, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by kvg
I had one fixed about ten years ago and the doctor used mesh and I haven't had any problems, except it aches if any pressure is applied or wear anything with I tight waist band.

Do you know what procedure they used and what type of mesh? There are different methods.

What hospital?

Do you know the surgeons name?

kvg
02-28-2013, 06:20 PM
It was done at Holy Cross hospital, but the specific details I don't recall, sorry.

Kijho
02-28-2013, 07:22 PM
Dr. E. Debru
http://www.ratemds.com/doctor-ratings/71012/Dr-E.-Debru-Calgary-AB.html

G-ZUS
02-28-2013, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Kijho
Dr. E. Debru
http://www.ratemds.com/doctor-ratings/71012/Dr-E.-Debru-Calgary-AB.html

Hear nothing but good things about that Fella!

AE92_TreunoSC
02-28-2013, 07:48 PM
Cant recall the doctor, I was fortunate and had it done at the rockyview right after their surgery wing had finished renovations.

Mine was lower around my pelvic line to the right, it was a huge buldge. Scared the shit out of me, but it pushed back into place after I learned it was hernia.

I got my hernia from lifting a Acura TL transmission lol. I got the mesh and I rarely feel pain from my pelvic area. It was done 5 years ago.

firebane
02-28-2013, 10:46 PM
Slammed my groin into the handlebars on a quad and gave myself a nice one of these.

I was able to get into the doctor within a couple of weeks and some of this was due to not having medical as soon as I needed it.

Couple things about mine (done 2 years ago) ..

1) Done in Peace River and the doctor used mesh
2) Couldn't walk much at all for almost 2-3 days after
3) Tylenol 3s with the not moving gave me constipation of which I needed to use a laxative for
4) Couldn't do any real heavy lifting for almost a month afterwards
5) To this day depending on what I'm doing it can still bother me and cause me some nice pain.

I lift weights at the gym and it hasn't bothered me so it can just be temperamental at times.

nzwasp
03-05-2013, 07:20 PM
I just got diagnosed with a umbilical hernia yesterday after having sharp belly pains. Mine is small and i can push it back in but then it pops back out a second later.

Doctor told me not to strain or lift heavy weights until I get it fixed. Im going to my normal doctor tomorrow to see when i can get the surgery.

Vagabond142
03-06-2013, 02:04 PM
I've had an inguinal hernia repair, left side, done by Dr Michael B. Dunham. http://www.ratemds.com/doctor-ratings/3536116/Dr-Michael-Dunham-Calgary-AB.html

As an aside:
If you can request him as your surgeon, do so. Absolutely stellar. I know I had surgery because I saw the stitches and bandages. Otherwise, after healing up, you wouldn't know I had anything done to me. There is literally no scar, after going in TWICE (explained below) in the same location. He also knew precisely what I had, where it was, how bad, and what surgical solution was needed with two pokes when another Dr couldn't feel anything wrong despite my searing pain.

Back on topic:

When: 2007 (2008)
Where: Rockyview Hospital (both times)

Type of repair #1: Full muscle-reinforcing mesh implantation after baloon surgery to remove the intestines from the inguinal canal.

Result #1: 4 days hospital stay nicely doped up on morphine (wheeeeeeeeeeeee....) due to lower-than-normal SATs (nurse's fault, had the oxy flow a little low) and the fact the surgery required I be off my feet for a couple of days. I walked out of there with only the surgical pain, no internal pain at all. Yes, WALKED, not wheeled.

For the next 3 months I was great, then I felt a slight tugging pain in my abdoment whenever I leaned over to the right. After a few consultations with Dr. Dunham, it was determined that I had developed a one-in-a-million complication called nerve growth entrapment, and it was getting progressively worse as the nerve dug itself in. Due to sheer blind luck, a nerve had been cut during the surgery and had grown in at an angle to the mesh, intwined its little feelers into it, and the muscle formed around it squeezing it tight to the mesh. There was absolutely nothing that could be done to prevent it, it was literally a lightning strike on a dry day in the middle of the Sahara. It's just one of those 0.00001% chance complications you read about.

8 months after surgery #1:

Type of repair #2:
Going in through the SAME surgical zone, cut and removed a 1 cm square portion of the mesh and a tiny tendril of nerve (literally 2mm) that was partially intwined in muscle.

Result #2:
100% functional. Due to Dr Dunham's expertise, I didn't even need recovery. As soon as I woke up from surgery, I was able to stand and walk almost normally. I literally was out of recovery and on my way home less than an hour after I got off the surgical table.

Due to the fact that I had to have a portion of nerve removed, I have the tiniest bit of residual numbness in my left inner thigh, right up near the groin. Otherwise, unless I told you, you would not guess that i had had hernia surgery.

nzwasp
03-06-2013, 04:05 PM
Just saw the doc regarding my hernia - she referred me to a surgeon no idea which one - Said i would get a call in 2 to 3 months regarding when my op would be - anyone know how long it takes from consult to operation?

Vagabond142
03-06-2013, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by nzwasp
Just saw the doc regarding my hernia - she referred me to a surgeon no idea which one - Said i would get a call in 2 to 3 months regarding when my op would be - anyone know how long it takes from consult to operation?

If it's a non-emergency hernia (ie you aren't HOWLING in pain and there is no risk of the intestine becoming strangled), anywhere from 4-12 months from first consultation to actual operation is what I've heard, based on surgical load and "sicker first." If it's an emergency situation (my hernia was close to causing intestinal strangulation), literally 90 minutes.

Disclaimer: I am not a health professional nor am I attached in any way to AHS. I'm just stating from what I've heard from discussions with multiple doctors for followups and physicals, etc

nzwasp
03-06-2013, 06:45 PM
Thats what I imagined - its just a pain in the arse to have it because it means I can't carry out my job properly.

89coupe
12-23-2013, 12:11 PM
Finally had my surgery done, put it off for almost a year.

Had laparoscopy surgery, 3 holes cut into your abdomen used to insert the instruments for repair.

They fill your belly full of gas to allow room for the procedure. They tacked a 3"x6" mesh material over the hernia.

The whole procedure only took an hour. Walked into the hospital at 9am, surgery at 11:30 am, walked out at 2pm. They keep you for an hour after the surgery to make sure you are ok.

I must admit the pain is pretty intense, feels like I was stabbed multiple times in my stomach. Any type of movement is painful. It's day 4 now and I still feel like shit, haha.

I can post a pic of the aftermath if anyone is interested in gore, haha.

firebane
12-23-2013, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
Finally had my surgery done, put it off for almost a year.

Had laparoscopy surgery, 3 holes cut into your abdomen used to insert the instruments for repair.

They fill your belly full of gas to allow room for the procedure. They tacked a 3"x6" mesh material over the hernia.

The whole procedure only took an hour. Walked into the hospital at 9am, surgery at 11:30 am, walked out at 2pm. They keep you for an hour after the surgery to make sure you are ok.

I must admit the pain is pretty intense, feels like I was stabbed multiple times in my stomach. Any type of movement is painful. It's day 4 now and I still feel like shit, haha.

I can post a pic of the aftermath if anyone is interested in gore, haha.

Yeah the first week is the worst. If you are on any pain killers like oxycodone or t3s you may get constipated so be warned of that.

I'm going in sometime soon in the next month or so to get a ultrasound done to ensure everything is still good with mine.

89coupe
12-23-2013, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by firebane

Yeah the first week is the worst. If you are on any pain killers like oxycodone or t3s you may get constipated so be warned of that.

I'm going in sometime soon in the next month or so to get a ultrasound done to ensure everything is still good with mine.

Yeh I was taking Percocet and soon realized that I had to stop.

The pain is tolerable without them, in reality all I ever got from the Percocet was a nice high, haha.

Why the ultrasound? Are you having pains?

firebane
12-23-2013, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe

Yeh I was taking Percocet and soon realized that I had to stop.

The pain is tolerable without them, in reality all I ever got from the Percocet was a nice high, haha.

Why the ultrasound? Are you having pains?

I still get some pain when I'm walking fast and etc. Some say this just comes with the surgery but I just want to make sure all is well.

89coupe
12-23-2013, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by firebane

I still get some pain when I'm walking fast and etc. Some say this just comes with the surgery but I just want to make sure all is well.

That sucks, I sure hope I don't have any issues once I'm healed. It would fucking suck if I went through all this only to have more issues.