PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Question

2BLUE
03-02-2013, 01:47 AM
My brother inlaw is driving from Kamloops to Calgary right now, He was passing 3 valley gap and rocks and snow fell off the mountain and hit his car on the roof. The damage isn't that bad (I haven't seen) but its on top of the roof smashed the windsheild etc.

He's tired and wants to just claim it here, I told him to stop in at revelstoke rcmp and let them know, but he's worried they tow the vehicle because of the damage.

The first thing i asked was if he had coverage, he said "full coverage", then he calls me back saying i bet the insurance company will try to say he hit road debris and blame him for the damage.

So here's my question: How will this play out?

Does your insurance company consider mountain debris as at-fault accident?

e31
03-02-2013, 01:56 AM
Absolutely stop and report it or it may create hassles later on (getting it repaired). The cops probably won't even look at it, just walk into the station, write up a report and leave.

Team_Mclaren
03-02-2013, 02:39 AM
Even if he did hit road debris (ie: lost control and hit the rail), it should still be covered under "full coverage". So i'd assume the damage right now is covered.

2BLUE
03-02-2013, 02:43 AM
Well I meant the difference of fault and not at fault.

If he hit a guard rail that would be his fault, insurance rates higher etc.

Snow and rocks falling from a mountain??? I have no clue how insurance looks at that.

Dilmah
03-02-2013, 07:11 AM
Sounds to me like either it was a single vehicle accident (his fault) or the mountain hit him so he'd have to sue the mountain. At fault or not at fault, doesn't that imply that someone needs to take the blame? In this case it seems simple since there is only one driver and one car. Claiming the damage under comprehensive coverage could make sense but since the car was in motion I'd say no to that one. However I'm not an insurance Guru so that's just my opinion.

guessboi
03-02-2013, 12:54 PM
It will be covered under comprehensive coverage (or all perils coverage) subject to his deductible. Covered under falling or flying objects and it is a not at fault accident.

He will also want to check to see if he has front windshield coverage or not with his insurance company and if there is a claims free discount being applied.

TYMSMNY
03-02-2013, 01:17 PM
If the front windshield is damaged... I'm thinking they won't let him drive it until it's fixed. Definitely report it through RCMP and ICBC instead of when he gets back.

Masked Bandit
03-02-2013, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by 2BLUE
My brother inlaw is driving from Kamloops to Calgary right now, He was passing 3 valley gap and rocks and snow fell off the mountain and hit his car on the roof. The damage isn't that bad (I haven't seen) but its on top of the roof smashed the windsheild etc.

He's tired and wants to just claim it here, I told him to stop in at revelstoke rcmp and let them know, but he's worried they tow the vehicle because of the damage.

The first thing i asked was if he had coverage, he said "full coverage", then he calls me back saying i bet the insurance company will try to say he hit road debris and blame him for the damage.

So here's my question: How will this play out?

Does your insurance company consider mountain debris as at-fault accident?

Falling shit from the side of the mountain is definitely not at fault (comprehensive). If the debris had spilled onto the road and he drove over it, THEN he would be at fault. Pretty tough to drive over something and have it damage your roof though. If he has the 13d endorsement (limited glass = no windshield) he'll be on his own for the glass.

Rusted Bumper
03-02-2013, 08:08 PM
What Bandit said :bigpimp: