PDA

View Full Version : Personalized license plate question

woodywoodford
03-02-2013, 11:08 AM
Just a quick question - if I buy a personalized plate, but don't register it, can somebody else come in and get it themselves later on? I don't know how that works.

Reason being, we've got a little project going to restore the old farm truck. Since dad's busy working and us sons live pretty far away from the farm it's going to be a few years before we get it road ready, but I was thinking I'd get a plate for it/dad for fathers day - with dads old nickname. I just don't want to spend $250 on a plate and then go to register it in 4 years only to find out some other snake took it over, nor do I want to pay annual reg. fees for it to just sit there.

Maybelater
03-02-2013, 11:50 AM
You need to present proof of insurance before you can register anyway?

flipstah
03-02-2013, 11:54 AM
You can buy the plate and no one else can register it because it's under your name.

eblend
03-02-2013, 07:07 PM
Yep, the place is yours for life, that's what they told me when I got mine.

flipstah
05-15-2013, 10:59 PM
BUMP for questions.

- Is it possible to register a 7-character plate that has the same sequence as a 6-character plate with a space as the difference?

Ex. if I register "ABCDEF", can someone register "ABC DEF"?

- If I buy a vintage plate off of someone in Kijiji, can I register it to my name or does the same ownership stuff apply even to vintage plates?

snowcat
05-15-2013, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
BUMP for questions.

- Is it possible to register a 7-character plate that has the same sequence as a 6-character plate with a space as the difference?

- If I buy a vintage plate off of someone in Kijiji, can I register it to my name or does the same ownership stuff apply even to vintage plates?

Google bro?

http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/pdf/mv/Pers_Plate_Info_Sheet.pdf

http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/1743.cfm

flipstah
05-16-2013, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by snowcat

Google bro?

http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/pdf/mv/Pers_Plate_Info_Sheet.pdf

http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/1743.cfm

Doesn't really tell me what I asked for...

M.alex
05-16-2013, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
BUMP for questions.

You can't register plates that resemble or could be confused with govn't plates. For example, if a govn't plate is LOL 917 you can't do L0L 917. They're also apparently not letting you use acronyms like LOL or memes anymore ..... bunch of soup nazis google the hell out of everything and look for any reason to reject :whipped:

gretz
05-16-2013, 12:27 PM
Are you still upset you couldn't get "i piitb 4u"?

LUDELVR
05-16-2013, 12:30 PM
I was asking this before and there are no letter O's. You have to get a 0 (zero). I got this for one of my plates and had to register 0's (zeros).

Also, you can't put something that resembles another plate. For example:

IB6 UB9
IB 6UB9

The space doesn't make a difference and you have to choose something entirely different.

This is what I was told when I was trying to get a plate and had to revamp what I wanted several times.

Heru-Farukon
05-16-2013, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by M.alex

You can't register plates that resemble or could be confused with govn't plates. For example, if a govn't plate is LOL 917 you can't do L0L 917. They're also apparently not letting you use acronyms like LOL or memes anymore ..... bunch of soup nazis google the hell out of everything and look for any reason to reject :whipped:

You can't even use "O", they make you use a zero in place of it.

You can't use L0L? Even if you justify what it means?
And someone tell me how "bukkake" got approved?

M.alex
05-16-2013, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Heru-Farukon

You can't even use "O", they make you use a zero in place of it.

You can't use L0L? Even if you justify what it means?
And someone tell me how "bukkake" got approved?

I just went through about 9 iterations trying to get a personal plate. They rejected everything with L0L in it or was a meme. Even L0L WUT got rejected as being offensive! How the hell is lol pear offensive?!?!

Dan's Bukkake plate got pulled though after probably some do-gooder soccer mom complained about it :thumbsdow

haggis88
05-17-2013, 04:48 PM
they rejected my request for "HAGGI5" because "HAGGIS" is already issued

lilmira
05-17-2013, 04:51 PM
You just have to be a bit more creative ;)

95EagleAWD
05-17-2013, 06:01 PM
My friend just got GTI LOL on her Focus ST a week ago. They definitely let you get LOL still.

Heru-Farukon
05-17-2013, 07:56 PM

I just went through about 9 iterations trying to get a personal plate. They rejected everything with L0L in it or was a meme. Even L0L WUT got rejected as being offensive! How the hell is lol pear offensive?!?!

Dan's Bukkake plate got pulled though after probably some do-gooder soccer mom complained about it :thumbsdow

Ohh shoot. I guess "L0L WUT" is removed off my list among other ones too

Oh really? Dang you soccer moms!!! Wait so do they just request you t return it?

Originally posted by 95EagleAWD
My friend just got GTI LOL on her Focus ST a week ago. They definitely let you get LOL still.

Pics.

Heru-Farukon
05-17-2013, 07:59 PM
Double post

M.alex
05-17-2013, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

Probably depends on who reviews your application....if you get lucky you get it through, if not back to the drawing board again and again :(

Heru-Farukon
05-17-2013, 08:09 PM

Probably depends on who reviews your application....if you get lucky you get it through, if not back to the drawing board again and again :(

Curious does the registry keep the 250? If it doesnt get the plate doesnt get approve?

LUDELVR
05-18-2013, 12:22 PM

Curious does the registry keep the 250? If it doesnt get the plate doesnt get approve?

Yup yup! If it does get issued and you pay for it then someone complains, you have to return the plates and you get no refund. :thumbsdow

Heru-Farukon
05-18-2013, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by LUDELVR

Yup yup! If it does get issued and you pay for it then someone complains, you have to return the plates and you get no refund. :thumbsdow

hh oops I meant do they keep the 250 if the plate request is already taken/etc?

But that too. And if its returned, you would just have to pay for a normal plate (if you don't want another personalized plate)

sr20s14zenki
05-18-2013, 03:17 PM
I was really surprised 2jzpower wasn't taken

I think now I want sr20lol or sr20wut

=)

diamondedge
05-18-2013, 03:22 PM
^^ Too bad 2jz noish is too long

sr20s14zenki
05-18-2013, 03:28 PM
Yah, saw one the other day i wish i thought of

NOTRCTN

haggis88
05-18-2013, 03:35 PM
spotted a standard 2.5S Altima on Deerfoot today rocking "WOW HOT"

didn't catch a glimpse of the driver other than long blonde hair

Heru-Farukon
05-18-2013, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
I was really surprised 2jzpower wasn't taken

I think now I want sr20lol or sr20wut

=)

You got 2jzpowered? Nice ! I wanted to do that if ever I did a 2j swap in an S-Chassis

dannie
05-18-2013, 07:10 PM

If the plate you requested doesn't get approved, the registry will call you and the gov will send you a letter. You will choose another and try again. We've had a few instances where the client had tried 9 options before the gov agreed to one. So, no. They will not.

95EagleAWD
05-18-2013, 09:21 PM
Pics.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/95EagleAWD/null-16.png

Brand new car, brand new plate.

flipstah
05-18-2013, 11:01 PM
Boo :rofl: