PDA

View Full Version : Have you worked in Engineering field in the United Kingdom ?

r0g3r
03-03-2013, 08:17 PM
Hey guys,

I'm currently an E.I.T and am very interested in working in the UK.

But have zero idea where to even begin.

So I'm wondering if you, or anyone you know, has worked in UK as an engineer and maybe provide some tips on where to look.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Cos
03-03-2013, 08:43 PM

r0g3r
03-03-2013, 09:11 PM
I'm in Mechanical Engineering.

Qualify for citizenship? I'm as qualified as any Canadian citizen...

So there's no chance of trying to stay in England?

I really would like to work in London

Cos
03-03-2013, 09:22 PM

kaput
03-03-2013, 09:39 PM

e31
03-03-2013, 09:53 PM
It's bad enough that a few annoying UK engineers find their way into our places of employment; I certainly couldn't handle an entire workplace populated with them. Good Luck!

Cos
03-03-2013, 10:40 PM

lilmira
03-03-2013, 11:06 PM
Couple guys from my class went to UK to do their masters, ended up staying there. Look into that route may be?

ExtraSlow
03-04-2013, 07:18 AM
OP, stick around here, get your P.Eng. then move to the UK.

Very hard to get work overseas without your P.Eng.

bjstare
03-04-2013, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Cos

*big snip*

Really you may be better off to get on with an international company here which will help you move to the UK. I have thought about it as well since my wife is Danish and both of us could work in the UK. If it is something you want to do you can. Just be aware how much work it will be.

This. Just work for a big EPC that has offices around the globe. If you're good at your job (well, exceptional. better than good), you can ask for a transfer and they may help facilitate it (i.e. visa sponsorship, and even may help cover some moving costs). Some acquaintances where I work have done this.

ercchry
03-04-2013, 11:05 AM
there is no way in fucking hell i'd move to london unless i was deep into the 6 figures range... and i could piss off to the south of france every few weeks

GS430
03-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
there is no way in fucking hell i'd move to london unless i was deep into the 6 figures range... and i could piss off to the south of france every few weeks

This man speaks the truth. I'm pretty sure London is one of the most expensive city's to live in.

OP, just out of curiousity, why London?

r0g3r
03-04-2013, 08:56 PM
Thanks for your input everyone.

In terms of education, I think Canadian education is accredited.

That being said what Cos said is very true; there's no shortage of graduates from EU or UK so chances of getting hired/sponsored while I"m here is very low.

Truth is I just fell in love with the city. I could see myself living there. As lame as it sounds, it really felt like I could really live there and actually like it.

Getting a work visa wont be the main issue; the main issue will be getting a job.

I've heard numerous people mention that the UK economy isn't doing really well right now...

ercchry
03-04-2013, 09:04 PM
how long have you spent there? living =/ touristy trip. everyone i know that has done it loved it for a short stint... but even though they had the chance to go back, they did not. only ones that i know have stayed are unemployed and only still there cause they get a free ride from daddy...

haggis88
03-04-2013, 10:10 PM
i'm a mechanical engineer, from the UK (South Scotland to be precise)

i used to work in the Aerospace industry

the job market in the UK at the moment is terrible, especially for graduates, and that's in any field

infact, my old company (GE Aviation) just laid off 100 people at my old factory

that said, its a nice enough place to stay, its a fair bit cheaper than Calgary (except from gas, which is the equivalent of about $2/litre just now)

drivers aren't as bad as Calgary! and its got a good Honda scene ;-)

cosmok
03-18-2013, 11:48 PM
Few jobs, shit pay (think around £25,000-30,000). I work with a bunch of Aerospace / Mechanical Engineers that graduated in the UK and hired on to BG. They all got sent to Australia and a bunch of their classmates aren't working in Engineering fields. Tough market there.

hrdkore
03-19-2013, 11:31 AM
Well having UK engineers in my company they all moved because quality of life isn't that great, Also things are quite expensive over there. Also I thought the economy over there is in the shitter, but I could be wrong. Anyhow good luck.