PDA

View Full Version : Future subaru owner - how to prevent voiding warranty

subout
03-03-2013, 11:41 PM
Hi,
I am new to this forum.
I am looking at buying a new 2013 subaru outback at one of the two dealerships in Calgary. I went to Centaur Subaru and spoke to a sales rep. During our conversation I asked him what a basic maintenance cost would be (he called it Type A which is basically your oil and oil filter change) and he said it's about $100.
I have never owned a subaru before but I thought that was expensive. I currently own a Honda accord and a mazdaspeed 6 and basic maintenance at the dealership is just under $50 for each vehicle.

So I am thinking that as soon as my brand new outback needs servicing, I would take it to a local mechanic (I know one where I sometimes take m cars). For those Calgary folks, you may know the place, it's JD Auto in the NE near Subaru Calgary is located.

Would anybody know if that would void warranty on my brand new outback?

I've been reading other posts/threads about how good or bad both subaru dealers are in Calgary and I am not too keen on taking my car there for servicing (both from a cost and service perspective).

Thank you.

RickDaTuner
03-03-2013, 11:55 PM
Follow the maintanence schedule in your owners manual. Have the shop that will service your car - stamp or sign the book.

All that's required to insure warranty is proof that you are following the proper maintanence schedule recommended by the manufacturer

HHURICANE1
03-04-2013, 12:06 AM
Keep all the receipts for the maintenance you have done on the car. As long as you have proof the work was done on time you're good.

silvercivicsir
03-04-2013, 09:47 AM
What happens is you don't drive that much, can you extend the service schedule? Ie I bought a new Forester in Aug/12.. just cracked 1000kms but it's time for the first oil change ( 6months).. Should i get the oil changed, or can I wait ??

schocker
03-04-2013, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by silvercivicsir
What happens is you don't drive that much, can you extend the service schedule? Ie I bought a new Forester in Aug/12.. just cracked 1000kms but it's time for the first oil change ( 6months).. Should i get the oil changed, or can I wait ??
Well if you follow the service interval, it is time or mileage whichever comes first, so if it is time already, then probably get it changed otherwise you would not be following the service interval anymore.

boarderfatty
03-04-2013, 10:41 AM
What you will find is that new Subaru's require 0W20 oil which only comes in full synthetic and a new style oil filter that is not readily available aftermarket yet. The last oil change my shop did on a 2013 imprezza was about $100 as well

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-04-2013, 11:12 AM
Had the oil changed at Don Docksteader Subaru Volvo in Vancouver for warrantys sake, cost $80 taxes in for the 0W-20 synthetic, filter and labor.

On a side note I do not recommend Don Docksteader Subaru Volvo if you are in the area.

RY213
03-04-2013, 06:41 PM
Do yourself a favor and don't buy a Subaru. The dealers here do not back up their vehicles and will look for any excuse not to honor your warranty. They won't even warranty their own poor workmanship. Buyer beware!

gamman
03-04-2013, 07:28 PM
Macleod trail guys warranted a head gasket (cover half ), after time was up and under Kms. They didn't have to at all, but customer did all repair work there. It was an ok story.

Edit,
As ry says above, they do try to get out though. Watch the commercials, and if you drive like that, warrantee void! Even if you put on crappy Subaru perf tech stuff. !!!!!

zieg
03-04-2013, 07:34 PM
Buddy of mine just bought a forester and asked them the same question (except he wants to change the oil himself).. They said as long as he keeps the receipts and uses Subaru OEM oil filters he's golden.

subout
03-04-2013, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by boarderfatty
What you will find is that new Subaru's require 0W20 oil which only comes in full synthetic and a new style oil filter that is not readily available aftermarket yet. The last oil change my shop did on a 2013 imprezza was about $100 as well

hmmm... does that mean only a Subaru dealership would have those filters?

I just looked on Canadian tire and the oil quoted above is about $45 and the oil filter is about $16. I entered the car brand, year and model and it showed me the filter at $16.

Now what I am wondering is that if I am able to change the oil and filter myself, then I don't have any proof that it was done or even done properly and they might want to void my warranty, should there be an issue?

Any feedback from Calgary people who haven't done their servicing at a subaru dealership and whether they had issues with warranty or not?

THank you.

subout
03-04-2013, 09:19 PM
I thought I'd post the links to the Canadian Tire Oil and Oil filter that I found. ANybody knows if these are actually acceptable for a 2013 subaru outback?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/Winter-Driving/SyntheticOil/PRD~0289437P/Mobil+1+Advanced+Fuel+Economy+0W-20+Synthetic+Motor+Oil.jsp?locale=en (http://)

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/FiltersTuneUp/EngineFiltersPCV/PRD~0171633P/Mobil+1+Extended+Performance+Oil+Filter.jsp?locale=en&isAutomotivePrd=true&tireSku=0171638&auto_type=part&icid=AutoSelector_PartsAccessories_2013+SUBARU+OUTBACK++4-2498+2.5L+DOHC_Tune-Up_0171638_ViewDetails

RY213
03-04-2013, 10:51 PM
If you do make the mistake of buying a Subaru, get it serviced at Vex Performance. They are top notch imo!

subout
03-05-2013, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by RY213
If you do make the mistake of buying a Subaru, get it serviced at Vex Performance. They are top notch imo!

Hi Ry213

Just so i understand what you mean., you are saying recommending not to buy subaru because they often do not honor the warranty, right?
However the cars themselves are fine?

xnvy
03-05-2013, 12:15 PM
^The cars are fine. The dealers in Calgary are not the greatest to put it lightly. I've heard good things about Rally Subaru though. If you do buy a Subaru, get it serviced somewhere else. I've heard good things about whatever shop Ravi runs on 32 Ave N.E.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-05-2013, 12:18 PM
Scott Subaru in Red Deer has a good rep.

heavyD
03-05-2013, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by subout

Hi Ry213

Just so i understand what you mean., you are saying recommending not to buy subaru because they often do not honor the warranty, right?

The cars are okay but IMO pretty cheaply build vs say Honda or Toyota.

alloroc
03-05-2013, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

^He's just a hater.

I own a honda a subaru and a toyota.

Interior fit and finish is best on the Subaru long term and as for the engine 250k with only regular maintenance. That includes towing a trailer several times a year to go camping. Nothing cheaply built about it - even after 8 years.

Some don't like them but I have had nothing but good service from All Makes. Just tell them to do the xxxx kilometer warranty service and they do the same job as the dealership for way less.

heavyD
03-05-2013, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by alloroc

^He's just a hater.

Interior fit and finish is best on the Subaru long term and as for the engine 250k with only regular maintenance. That includes towing a trailer several times a year to go camping. Nothing cheaply built about it - even after 8 years.

Some don't like them but I have had nothing but good service from All Makes. Just tell them to do the xxxx kilometer warranty service and they do the same job as the dealership for way less.

Hater? I'm an owner.:werd: I'm just not a fanboy and tell it like it is and I've owned nearly all the brands over the years.

slinkie
03-05-2013, 07:52 PM

^He's just a hater.

Hey off topic but any link/pics of your AE92GZE?

xnvy
03-05-2013, 07:55 PM

Interior fit and finish is best on the Subaru long term and as for the engine 250k with only regular maintenance. That includes towing a trailer several times a year to go camping. Nothing cheaply built about it - even after 8 years. I am going to go and say that your Subaru is an anomaly. Every Subaru I've sat in whether new or old has a rattle somewhere. The older the car, the more rattles, and eventually you get used to it but by God do they develop rattles. They should just make rattles a standard option on the order sheet.

heavyD
03-05-2013, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by xnvy
I am going to go and say that your Subaru is an anomaly. Every Subaru I've sat in whether new or old has a rattle somewhere. The older the car, the more rattles, and eventually you get used to it but by God do they develop rattles. They should just make rattles a standard option on the order sheet.

Yep. This is why you don't listen to the fanboys as they give poor advice. My 2013 Subaru has more rattles than my last 3 new cars combined. Now rattles don't make a car bad or unreliable but they are annoying and make the car feel cheap. The low rent interiors and worst paint in the business don't help either.

I'm not a particular fan of Toyota and Honda's but they represent the best of the Japanese while Mazda, Nissan, Mitsubishi, and Subaru are all kind of like Japanese Chryslers in comparison. Some good cars and some bad ones and spotty overall reliability and quality. You can get a good one and never have problems or you can get some pretty shoddy ones as well.

RY213
03-05-2013, 09:29 PM

Agree. At first they seem ok but over time you realize how cheap they are. My Subaru WRX was fairly reliable mechanically, but there were definitely rattles, the dash trim was easily scratched, and the paint chips really easy. I had nothing but issues dealing with Centaur and their horrible service department. Over the last year I dealt with Vex a lot and they were awesome. I could go into greater detail about a major issue I had this past year later when I have more time...

RY213
03-05-2013, 09:32 PM

Hi Ry213

The cars are ok. The dealer will look for any reason not to warranty any issues you may have. If you have something major wrong, be prepared to have to fight with Subaru Canada in order to get them to cover it. The local dealers do not give a shit about their customers. They lost a return customer with me...

ColoDano
03-06-2013, 12:42 PM
I thought I'd post the links to the Canadian Tire Oil and Oil filter that I found. ANybody knows if these are actually acceptable for a 2013 subaru outback?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/Winter-Driving/SyntheticOil/PRD~0289437P/Mobil+1+Advanced+Fuel+Economy+0W-20+Synthetic+Motor+Oil.jsp?locale=en (http://)

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/FiltersTuneUp/EngineFiltersPCV/PRD~0171633P/Mobil+1+Extended+Performance+Oil+Filter.jsp?locale=en&isAutomotivePrd=true&tireSku=0171638&auto_type=part&icid=AutoSelector_PartsAccessories_2013+SUBARU+OUTBACK++4-2498+2.5L+DOHC_Tune-Up_0171638_ViewDetails

Why not just buy Subaru filters? I buy a few at a time, and with a new crush washer for the drain plug, they are under $10 per filter from either dealer in Calgary.

And for eveyone whining about rattles and creaks, it's what happens with an economy lined car, which the Impreza is, even the STI. The Legacy and such do not have the same noises, as they are built to be quieter and smoother than the Impreza.

heavyD
03-06-2013, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by ColoDano

And for eveyone whining about rattles and creaks, it's what happens with an economy lined car, which the Impreza is, even the STI. The Legacy and such do not have the same noises, as they are built to be quieter and smoother than the Impreza.

You need to drive more cars if you think all economy cars rattle like Subarus.

xnvy
03-06-2013, 03:01 PM

You need to drive more cars if you think all economy cars rattle like Subarus. :werd: My parents finally got rid of their 1989 Corolla in 2006. No rattles in that car, none in our 7 year old Accord either. Fit and Finish, paint quality, and their dealerships, all things Subaru needs to work on. Probably toss fuel mileage into that list of things too :P

ColoDano
03-07-2013, 02:11 PM

You need to drive more cars if you think all economy cars rattle like Subarus.

Ok, that was taken wrong, I was just trying to say that the legacys don't make noise like Imprezas do.

My Honda is 9 years old than my Subaru, and makes much less noise. The Impreza is just a noisy rattley car, only other car I have been in that was close was the first gen of Scion Tc.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-07-2013, 02:15 PM
Our 2013 XV Crosstrek has a lot of squeeks and rattles with only 10000KM on the clock.

max_boost
03-07-2013, 03:02 PM
My family has been driving Subaru's for the past decade.

Impreza/WRX/Forester/Tribeca etc.

My mom's 03 Forester is pushing 400K kms.

Interior fit and finish on a Subaru? It's mediocre. It's boring inside and looks like your late 90's Honda haha I have a 2011 Tribeca and squeals a bit around left turns and it rattles. But it is what it is and I accept it. I love them for being AWD, low maintenance and mechanically sound, long lasting.

For a vehicle that drives so tight, wicked interior trims and is just mother efn solid, I get into zee Germans.

heavyD
03-07-2013, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
My family has been driving Subaru's for the past decade.

Impreza/WRX/Forester/Tribeca etc.

My mom's 03 Forester is pushing 400K kms.

Interior fit and finish on a Subaru? It's mediocre. It's boring inside and looks like your late 90's Honda haha I have a 2011 Tribeca and squeals a bit around left turns and it rattles. But it is what it is and I accept it. I love them for being AWD, low maintenance and mechanically sound, long lasting.

For a vehicle that drives so tight, wicked interior trims and is just mother efn solid, I get into zee Germans.

I don't want it to come off like I don't like my Subaru as I quite like it but sometimes its love hate lol. Mechanically they are pretty solid cars for the most part and you can't beat AWD for Canadian winters. They aren't bad cars and as long as your expectations of features and luxury aren't high you will be happy.

subout
03-07-2013, 10:09 PM
Ok i've been reading the posts and it's all interesting information from different people.
I must admit i didn't think about the potential rattling issues although i have a 2004 honda accord and a 2007 mazdaspeed6 and both have had rattling issues at some point or another.

Anyway, are there people who can talk about their experience with the 2013 outback? Or maybe the 2012? Any issues or things to be careful about when buying one?

Also i am hoping to get some discount by using numbers found on carcost canada. Any experience wth that?
Thank you

SHO
03-07-2013, 10:45 PM
Never seen a Honda accord or mazdaspeed6 do this!

Never seen a Honda accord or mazdaspeed6 do this ! http://m.wimp.com/greatestpass/ (http://m.wimp.com/greatestpass/)

heavyD
03-08-2013, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by SHO
Never seen a Honda accord or mazdaspeed6 do this!

Never seen a Honda accord or mazdaspeed6 do this ! http://m.wimp.com/greatestpass/ (http://m.wimp.com/greatestpass/)

Ha ha that guy totally lost control trying to pass and was close to hitting the camera car. Good recovery though but I've done the same type of recovery with a FWD car.

max_boost
03-08-2013, 04:52 PM
Ok i've been reading the posts and it's all interesting information from different people.
I must admit i didn't think about the potential rattling issues although i have a 2004 honda accord and a 2007 mazdaspeed6 and both have had rattling issues at some point or another.

Anyway, are there people who can talk about their experience with the 2013 outback? Or maybe the 2012? Any issues or things to be careful about when buying one?

Also i am hoping to get some discount by using numbers found on carcost canada. Any experience wth that?
Thank you

Yep. Do cost +1000 and stay firm on it. :D

Aleks
03-08-2013, 11:00 PM
I'm getting my 5th Subaru soon. :rofl:

subout
03-09-2013, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by max_boost

Yep. Do cost +1000 and stay firm on it. :D

thank you for the tip. Is that something you did at one of the Calgary dealerships? How did they react?

TopGearUK
03-09-2013, 02:39 PM
Thank you

What numbers did you find on CarCostCanada? Don't forget to add:

Amvic
Tire Tax
A/C tax
Freight & PDI
Locking wheel nuts
Block heater
Doc fee

That way there are no suprises.

Let me know, maybe I can help you find a good deal...

heavyD
03-09-2013, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
I'm getting my 5th Subaru soon. :rofl:

Ha ha. You are doing it all wrong man. If you are going to change up cars every year or two at least do it like I do and switch it up. Subaru/VW/Subaru/BMW/Subaru rinse and repeat. Boring! I'm only a few German brands from the complete cycle of owning all the brands at least once. That's the spice of life.:rofl:

Aleks
03-09-2013, 07:11 PM

Ha ha. You are doing it all wrong man. If you are going to change up cars every year or two at least do it like I do and switch it up. Subaru/VW/Subaru/BMW/Subaru rinse and repeat. Boring! I'm only a few German brands from the complete cycle of owning all the brands at least once. That's the spice of life.:rofl:

It changes so much sometimes I didn't bother updating my profile. I need therapy.
Here's the list so far if I can remember it all. Last 16 years.

Chev Cavalier
VW Jetta
Nissan Altima
Acura Integra
Nissan Stanza
Subaru WRX
Honda S2000
Acura Integra Type R
BMW 330i
VW Rabbit
VW GTI
Subaru WRX
BMW 325i
Subaru Forester
Subaru Impreza
Honda Civic
Honda Accord
Honda Odyssey
BMW 335i
Subaru WRX STI

Now as far as what Centaur charges it's simple:
Air tax, tire tax, freight/pdi + $395 for admin/nitrogen/tire warranty. No bs charges for locks/block heater, glass insurance etc.

I had no intention of buying an STI until they dropped the lease rate to 2.9% for me with loyalty break. Too hard to resist. First manual car for a long time so will see how that goes. Plus if I get sick of it I can probably sell it for more than I bought it since STIs have intense resale value in Calgary :rofl:

TopGearUK
03-09-2013, 08:31 PM

It changes so much sometimes I didn't bother updating my profile. I need therapy.

Chev Cavalier
VW Jetta
Nissan Altima
Acura Integra
Nissan Stanza
Subaru WRX
Honda S2000
Acura Integra Type R
BMW 330i
VW Rabbit
VW GTI
Subaru WRX
BMW 325i
Subaru Forester
Subaru Impreza
Honda Civic
Honda Accord
Honda Odyssey
BMW 335i
Subaru WRX STI

Air tax, tire tax, freight/pdi + $395 for admin/nitrogen/tire warranty. No bs charges for locks/block heater, glass insurance etc.

I had no intention of buying an STI until they dropped the lease rate to 2.9% for me with loyalty break. Too hard to resist. First manual car for a long time so will see how that goes. Plus if I get sick of it I can probably sell it for more than I bought it since STIs have intense resale value in Calgary :rofl:

Bravo majstore :clap:

max_boost
03-09-2013, 08:39 PM

thank you for the tip. Is that something you did at one of the Calgary dealerships? How did they react?

That's the Beyond Member 'Aleks' method. Works well on Subaru's :D

heavyD
03-10-2013, 02:39 PM

Chev Cavalier
VW Jetta
Nissan Altima
Acura Integra
Nissan Stanza
Subaru WRX
Honda S2000
Acura Integra Type R
BMW 330i
VW Rabbit
VW GTI
Subaru WRX
BMW 325i
Subaru Forester
Subaru Impreza
Honda Civic
Honda Accord
Honda Odyssey
BMW 335i
Subaru WRX STI

Well seeing you owned a GR WRX you will not likely notice major differences outside of sharper handling and a few extra features. Same noisy interior and according to some slightly slower in a straight line. Hatch or sedan? Colour?

Aleks
03-10-2013, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by TopGearUK

Bravo majstore :clap:

:thumbsup:

Well seeing you owned a GR WRX you will not likely notice major differences outside of sharper handling and a few extra features. Same noisy interior and according to some slightly slower in a straight line. Hatch or sedan? Colour?

I ordered a WRB sedan. I was thinking maybe hatchback but didn't like the 2 colors they had coming in. Might have to take the wing off the sedan as soon as it comes in. Seems over the top to me. Supply seems pretty low right now and you pretty much have to pick between 1 or 2 that are on the boat per month. What's the one you have again?

heavyD
03-10-2013, 11:13 PM

:thumbsup:

I ordered a WRB sedan. I was thinking maybe hatchback but didn't like the 2 colors they had coming in. Might have to take the wing off the sedan as soon as it comes in. Seems over the top to me. Supply seems pretty low right now and you pretty much have to pick between 1 or 2 that are on the boat per month. What's the one you have again?

SWP Sport Tech Sedan