PDA

View Full Version : People driving like %$^&@#$&*

Ben
02-17-2004, 01:23 PM
ARG!!! Pet Peeve!

[STARTRANT]

Ok, situation: Barlow Tr. 3 lanes. so you know when you approach a light and your lane is open and your first in line and so you cost to a stop... well there was a Semi already stopped in the middle lane and a car pulling in behind the semi. Well at the last second that car pulls into my lane to be first in line. He couldn't pull right and go into the other open lane with noone in it, he had to cut me off so he could be first off the line. OK, fine, this makes me think WTF!, but I'll deal with it. Maybe he's in a hurry for an emergency or something. I'll wait to pass judgement.

Light turns grean and I'm expecting buddy driving a peice of @$^% Ply Mouth Lazer to accellerate at a NORMAL speed, cause he must have had to be in a hurry to warrant cutting me off. Nope...He fucks the dog! Accellerating at the same speed as the semi! I can see him in his rearview laughing. I cant get past, hes pacing the 18 wheeler.

Ok, now I'm thinking OK WHAT GIVES! What did I do?! I hate that so much when people do that. I back off and turn in behind the semi, into the far right lane and blow past both vehicles, and back in the fast lane. Asshole in the lazer decides "lets ride my ass". I'm already doing 10 over anyhow, and he's maybe half a car length off my bumper. All of a sudden he's feeling the need for speed. after going so slow with the truck.

I give him the brakes :)

I see his car lose control slightly, weaving back and fourth within his lane, he must have stomped on his brakes pretty good, tires smoked. He turns into the middle lane to pass me, knowing his plan to pull in front of me and return the brake job, I brake hard so he rips past, and he turns infront of me cuttiing me off again, just as I had planned. I move to the middle lane, he swoops accross, I move to the shoulder lane, he follows, making an attempt at setting me up to rear end him I would imagine, seeing as how his car was a POS. At the last minute I turned off, too late for him to follow.

Like WTF is this guys problem? Then he has the nerve to give me the finger out his window!

Seriously, why are people in this city such assholes. I think we have a terrible road rage problem. I do nothing to provoke it, was driving normally, and all of a sudden he was giving me a hard time. Only thing I can think of was that he's jealous, but my car is nothing special other than it was way faster than his.. I hope he has a miserable life.

[/ENDRANT]

t3rry
02-17-2004, 01:26 PM
as long as you had fun thats all that counts :D

Hakkola
02-17-2004, 01:26 PM
Hahaha, sorry ben, but that's a funny story, usually I let shit slide because that's pretty dangerous, but hey, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

EK 2.0
02-17-2004, 01:28 PM
Sorry to hear Ben, but yeah i agree with the whole Road Rage problem, although I have been guilty of an episode now and again...

But the number of punks behind the wheel is growing WAY too fast...

sputnik
02-17-2004, 01:29 PM
one thing i noticed after moving to calgary from winnipeg...

NOBODY does the little "thank you" wave when you let them in... :banghead:

t3rry
02-17-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

thats not true, didn't you read bens story?, the guy did the thank you wave, he just forgot to put up the other 4 fingers :rofl:

Ben
02-17-2004, 01:40 PM
See, I always wave and am polite when people allow me to merge properly and such, but I guess not everyone in the city is as nice or as aware of whats going on around them. Oh well, such is life.

t3rry
02-17-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Ben
See, I always wave and am polite when people allow me to merge properly and such, but I guess not everyone in the city is as nice or as aware of whats going on around them. Oh well, such is life.

yea its difficult for alot of the people in this city to wave since the fuckers always seem to have a cell phone in 1 hand and a coffee in the other, while driving a standard :banghead:

Akagi Redsuns
02-17-2004, 01:43 PM
The problem is all about consideration. Everyone is thinking of themselves and not about the people around them. No need to be a total pushover and cater to everyone, but you don't need to blantly go out of your way to inconvience other people.

I really don't get the ego trip that people have on being in front. I have seen it with right lanes that get cut-off, and like your case with the semi-truck, buses, tractors...etc.

Just today I was driving eastbound on 20th Ave NW stopped at the 14st NW intersection. I am the first guy in the left lane. A Grand-Prix is coming up behind me and pulls in the right lane. No signal and you can see the right lane ends up ahead with parked cars. The car has more power than my little 1.8L commuter so I figure he will blow by me regardless and he most be a in a hurry. Ligth turns green and he blows by me all right, full throttle....ok, cool. I will just go speed limit +10....60km/hr and cruise. I do that and I am closing up the Grand-Prix fast.....too fast, he is going about 25 km/hr....on a road that is 50km/hr speedlimit. WTF? Totally pissed me off. What is the point of holding me up when he was driving like a drag racer before? I don't get it. Then he does this all the way to Center Street where he finally turned off....I look over in digust and of course I get the finger...WTF? I didn't instigate anything. I was pulling back and pulling forward while following him trying to keep my frustration in check, trying to get the point across that he was going way too slow. People suck.

t3rry
02-17-2004, 01:46 PM
yea, i hate people htta pull up beside me when they know the lane is going to end, but i always give thme a run for thier money

benyl
02-17-2004, 01:52 PM
I wouldn't have given him the brake job, I would have just slowed and paced the semi...

people are assholes... you can't win.

rc2002
02-17-2004, 03:37 PM
:werd: There are tons of assholes on the roads. I've been one of them on more than one ocassion, but it's always provoked.

Thank God they're changing the licensing rules. Those punks don't get full driving privileges until they're 18 now. But some old guys are pretty bad too.

Last year a balding guy in his Porsche Boxster (can you say Middle Aged Crisis?) wants to get onto Memorial from 5th avenue. I was in the lane that goes directly onto Memorial and he was in the lane the goes up Edmonton trail. I was waiting in the slow lane (the correct lane) all the way out of downtown so there's no way I'm going to let him beat me off the line and squeeze in front of me.

The light turns green and we both hit it. It's neck and neck until the memorial turnoff so he's forced to brake to move in behind me. He takes the far right lane and then does the old "cut off and brake routine" I was ready for him but I still had some heavy braking to do.

We do some more "cut off and braking" and then he decides he's had enough so he takes off, and I'm no match for him since I'm in an automatic Sunfire. I catch up with him later near the lights at deerfoot, and we both start racing towards the red light trying not to let the other person get ahead.

The brake fade from all the prior braking was incredible, I was now two-foot braking and could barely come to a stop that would have otherwise been easy for me. I could smell burning brakes (or maybe tires?) but I'm not sure if they were mine or his...

Anyway after exchanging some looks we drive a bit further and come up on a cop cruiser so the fun is over. Thank God because I think my brakes are shot. Now a year later, I've smartened up and I have a faster car and I'm looking into brake upgrades.

5.9 R/T
02-17-2004, 04:13 PM
I used to be in a rush to get where ever since I'm usually late and I would have these types of encounters on a daily basis. But now I leave 10-15 minutes early and just sit in the slow lane and do no more then the speed limit and just follow the traffic flow. Who cares if your not first at the light, who cares is someone cuts you off? You're still going to get there at pretty much the same time anyways. Driving like this is a lot less stressful, you don't get into fights, you don't get tickets/cause accidents, and you save on gas. Driving like this has saved me about 30 bucks a week on gas when the prices are around the 70 cent mark. :thumbsup:

MM99lude
02-17-2004, 04:16 PM
hah richard you could smoke that boxer in your sleep now!!

xkon
02-17-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

:werd: if you cut me off, AT LEAST give the wave... if not, i get VEEEERY pissed!!!

dj_honda
02-17-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
I used to be in a rush to get where ever since I'm usually late and I would have these types of encounters on a daily basis. But now I leave 10-15 minutes early and just sit in the slow lane and do no more then the speed limit and just follow the traffic flow. Who cares if your not first at the light, who cares is someone cuts you off? You're still going to get there at pretty much the same time anyways. Driving like this is a lot less stressful, you don't get into fights, you don't get tickets/cause accidents, and you save on gas. Driving like this has saved me about 30 bucks a week on gas when the prices are around the 70 cent mark. :thumbsup:

well said.
driving down 16th ave NE on the way to the U every morning i do the same.

EK 2.0
02-17-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by xkon

:werd: if you cut me off, AT LEAST give the wave... if not, i get VEEEERY pissed!!!

Because of my dark tint, I flash the 4-Ways for a second or 2 just to acknowledge those behind me, woth either let me in, or I offended...

ICEBERG
02-17-2004, 05:28 PM
I just had a guy in a Chev Truck ride my a$$ on Deerfoot yesterday. I was on the middle lane allready doing 120kmh and he was inches from my bumper. Just would not pass me. The guy looked like a pycho. So i stepped on the gas a little to get him off my a$$ but no luck. 140kmh still on my a$$.

So i pull to the far right lane so he can pass me but the F@c$*r pulls on my a$$ again. Now i started to get pi$$ed, so i down shift to 4th and floored it to loose the idiot but he kept coming.

I must have put like 20 cars between this guy and me. Then slowed down again to turn off to memorial drive. Guess what he comes up to my a$$ again.

This guy followed me all the way downtown riding my a$$. So we came up to the lights at 5 ave downtown. He pulls up beside me. I rolled my window down to ask him what his freaking problem was. He just looked at me, flipped the finger and took off.

What is this Town coming to?

hjr
02-17-2004, 05:33 PM
im generally considerate (unless im in a hurry), so i let people in all the time and am generally a nice dude, but if i dont see the wave when i obviously went out of my way to let someone in, then my right hand meets the center of the steering wheel. A magical tone of anger then erupts from under the hood, showing my displeasure with their actions.

finboy
02-17-2004, 07:36 PM
the best is 12th ave and center around 3:30 when the punks from crescent are trying to do the right lane pass.

SOOOOO many of them have had to slam on their brakes and cut in behind me :rofl:

That.Guy.S30
02-17-2004, 07:42 PM
this one east indian girl gave me the finger when i was already goin 20 over the limit but as she gave me the finger she noticed that i wasnt a old guy driver a wagon but was young.. so i decided to say hello back and she ran off like a lil bitch..

my problem is if you have enough guts to give someone the finger.. please pull over so we can talk..

anyways back to the story so i catch up to her in downtown and i was right beside her so i gave her the finger and honked my horn.. she was so scared that she wouldnt look over.. haha if it was a guy i wouldve jump kicked his car in the middle of that light

ZorroAMG
02-17-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by ICEBERG
I just had a guy in a Chev Truck ride my a$$ on Deerfoot yesterday. I was on the middle lane allready doing 120kmh and he was inches from my bumper. Just would not pass me. The guy looked like a pycho. So i stepped on the gas a little to get him off my a$$ but no luck. 140kmh still on my a$$.

So i pull to the far right lane so he can pass me but the F@c$*r pulls on my a$$ again. Now i started to get pi$$ed, so i down shift to 4th and floored it to loose the idiot but he kept coming.

I must have put like 20 cars between this guy and me. Then slowed down again to turn off to memorial drive. Guess what he comes up to my a$$ again.

This guy followed me all the way downtown riding my a$$. So we came up to the lights at 5 ave downtown. He pulls up beside me. I rolled my window down to ask him what his freaking problem was. He just looked at me, flipped the finger and took off.

What is this Town coming to?

The three-pointed star will do that to people...jealousy is disgusting.

88CRX
02-17-2004, 09:49 PM
calgary drivers :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

seems like everyday i run into some dick on the road..... dozens upon dozens of near accident :dunno: i'm just waiting for the one time i cant react quick enough and some dumb butch writes off my ride.

illeagle
02-17-2004, 10:13 PM
i admit, I'm slowly starting to drive like a 16 year old again... It's getting bad.. i Just noticed my ways, as i was reading the posts... It's hard to drive slowly/normal IN TRAFFIC unless i'm sleepy. But it's time to change, this driving isen't getting me to point B any faster... :burnout:

finboy
02-17-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
calgary drivers :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

seems like everyday i run into some dick on the road..... dozens upon dozens of near accident :dunno: i'm just waiting for the one time i cant react quick enough and some dumb butch writes off my ride.

believe me, its a pain in the ass when it happens.

cappachihngo
02-17-2004, 10:56 PM
ya most calgary drivers are insane, they hardly wave a thanx when u let them merge, they cut u off and brake for no reason...

but thats why i go out like 10 mins earlier and drive the slow lane, atleast people won't cut me off there (or atleast i hope not)...

o as for those teenage punk drivers.. well i'm a teenager and yes sometimes its fun 2 gas it, but i wouldn't cut anyone off or do the brake thing unless i want to bring home a price of scrap metal on flames.. i guess some people just haven't had the chance to learn the phrase "safety 1st"

rc2002
02-17-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by MM99lude
hah richard you could smoke that boxer in your sleep now!!

Yeah, I hope I can have a rematch with him. Imagine the look on a Porsche owners face when he gets owned by a Honda!

Zero102
02-18-2004, 12:11 AM
Damn, I second that crap about 12th ave N.E.
I got hit by some old guy with his daughter in the car. I was in the left lane, second in line at a red light, the guy in front of me had a left turn signal on.
So, the light turns green, and I wait for the guy in front of me to turn, meanwhile about 30 people go by me on the left. Finally the guy in front of me turns, and I proceed straight through, some old asian guy pulls up on my right in his tercel, and is too busy looking to his right, and just presumes that there is nobody there, and swerves right into me.
Then the guy has the nerve to tell me that I turned my signal light off (which was never on), then blame the thing on me!! However, he got the ticket, so I know who the cops believe.
On top of all this, the guy then tells his insurance company that HE was first in line at the light, and I was behind him and when the light turned green, I pulled out on the wrong side of the road trying to pass him.
at 5:00PM, in the middle of rush hour on a monday, somehow I managed to pull out on the wrong side of the road?!?!

jeez, sorry, but I still get angry just thinking about that moron.

Anyhoo, here's my other peeves about bad Calgary drivers.
5th ave coming out of down town, going to memorial. Everybody tries to race you in the right lane, I saw one guy sideswipe another right at the end, where their lane ends after you come aroudn the corner, because he was trying to get in front. Don't people understand that the lane ends?!

perhaps somebody can shed some light on this next one.
Northbound deerfoot onto westbound 16th avenue north.
The offramp is 2 lanes. about half way up, the right lane has a must turn right sign, but the lane does not end.
At the intersection, the left lane takes both turn lanes, and 1 straight through lane, but yet everybody pulls up in the right lane, and presumes they get the outside turn lane!!
I have had MANY MANY near misses there.
Am I correct in my interpretation of the signs there, or does the right lane get the outside turn lane?

I know this is the wrong thread to ask this in, but how can I ask the city to put up a better sign for this intersection? Or perhaps a barricade in the right lane?

And finally, I agree about the waves in this city. I used to wave at everybody who let me in, even if they did nothing, now I have taken it down a little bit, I only wave if somebody actually had to let me in, not if there was already a big space.
Why can't anybody else seem to understand how waving works?
Although, people here have gotten awfully good with the deerfoot salute... I guess if I just presumed that it meant 'thank you' it would look like we live in the most courteous city in north america =)

Ben
02-18-2004, 12:28 AM
I think its time to do a &*)@$%*( news broadcast on CFCN and CICT Channel 7. HOW TO DRIVE!

CalgaryB5
02-18-2004, 01:36 AM
My signature was inspired by an old woman flipped me the bird at the empty Glendmore Trail on a beautiful summer morning.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Ben
02-18-2004, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by CalgaryB5
My signature was inspired by an old woman flipped me the bird on the empty Glendmore Trail at a beautiful summer morning.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

well Thats awesome, but its exceeding the sig limitations by leaps and bounds. Check out the sticky post in the test section ;)

benyl
02-18-2004, 01:53 AM
I have a little rant on my own about a dumbass on Saturday night.

So I am pulling out of Crowfoot after eating McD's with the gf (Sushi Boat was like a 30 minute wait). Going down Nose Hill Drive getting into the left lane to turn onto crowchild. I am about 5th in line. Next to me, in the dual turn lane, a Toureg pulls up. I haven't seen many on the road and was curious to see if it was a V8 or a V6. (Never did find out).

Light turns green and we get on to Crowchild. My lane ends up having the faster drivers and Toureg Boy pulls in behind me. His HID is blaring in my eyes cause he is about a foot off my rear bumper. Now I am not one to slam brakes, I tend to speed up and get out of the way.

Well I am going about 120 and he is now 2 feet off my rear bumper. At around Shagganapi, I move over and let him pass... low and behold, he has "Fifth Avenue Auto Haus" plastered all over the vehicle. Dealer plates and all... I have the plate and am in the right mind to give Fifth Avenue a Call...

Ben
02-18-2004, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by benyl
I have a little rant on my own about a dumbass on Saturday night.

So I am pulling out of Crowfoot after eating McD's with the gf (Sushi Boat was like a 30 minute wait). Going down Nose Hill Drive getting into the left lane to turn onto crowchild. I am about 5th in line. Next to me, in the dual turn lane, a Toureg pulls up. I haven't seen many on the road and was curious to see if it was a V8 or a V6. (Never did find out).

Light turns green and we get on to Crowchild. My lane ends up having the faster drivers and Toureg Boy pulls in behind me. His HID is blaring in my eyes cause he is about a foot off my rear bumper. Now I am not one to slam brakes, I tend to speed up and get out of the way.

Well I am going about 120 and he is now 2 feet off my rear bumper. At around Shagganapi, I move over and let him pass... low and behold, he has "Fifth Avenue Auto Haus" plastered all over the vehicle. Dealer plates and all... I have the plate and am in the right mind to give Fifth Avenue a Call...

PM me the info, trust me ;)

szw
02-18-2004, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by Zero102

perhaps somebody can shed some light on this next one.
Northbound deerfoot onto westbound 16th avenue north.
The offramp is 2 lanes. about half way up, the right lane has a must turn right sign, but the lane does not end.
At the intersection, the left lane takes both turn lanes, and 1 straight through lane, but yet everybody pulls up in the right lane, and presumes they get the outside turn lane!!
I have had MANY MANY near misses there.
Am I correct in my interpretation of the signs there, or does the right lane get the outside turn lane?

I'm not 100% sure but I think you are wrong. I don't think there is ANY straight through and you have no choice but to take the left.

Zero102
02-18-2004, 12:43 PM
szw, that is what about half the people seem to think, but if you look as you come up, in the right lane, there is a right lane turns right sign. So, nobody should even be in that lane when they get to the intersection?
Plus, there are no dotted lines telling you where to go, and the lanes don't curve. That is what I based my opinion on. But I suppose I could be wrong.
I wish the city would put up some better signs. Does anybody know who I can call at the city to get clarification, or better signs?
I looked in the white pages (blue pages included) and I didn't see anything appropriate, but I may have missed it.

t3rry
02-18-2004, 12:58 PM
just a little info for anyone out there who doesn't like thier vehicle and would like someone to write it off for them... just go southbound deerfoot to eastbound memorial, make sure you are in the outside lane left turn lane... the people on the inside lane ALWAYS go into the center lane (instead of the inside lane like they are supposed to) and force the outside lane people into the far outside lane... (which is supposed to turn into the center lane).. i see it happen every time i am in those lanes... i have seen maybe 1-2 people turn correctly there.

max_boost
02-18-2004, 02:05 PM
Oh I have one......

How about north bound deerfoot and you turn off at Memorial going west? At that intersection, the white lines are blurred or sometimes covered in ice/snow, no one seems to follow it properly.:banghead:

bol
02-18-2004, 02:11 PM
Yesterday while coming up 14th st near the police station off John Laurie... some idiot decides to cross three lanes of traffic from the far right to get into the far left lane to turn... about 5 feet before the intersection without looking. He was horizontal blocking two lanes of traffic waiting to turn.... three people were sooo close to hitting him.

Some people really need to get their shit together.

403Gemini
02-19-2004, 02:40 AM
i always wave, unless the fuck isnt letting me in and i HAFTA cut him off. but if somebody even gives me a lil bit of room ill always wave. and when i get cut off, ill get filled with rage, and then if i see a wave, its like a miracle.. all that anger... relieved... but if they dont wave ...:banghead:

calgary does have bad drivers :dunno: cant explain why. probably cause to many driving academys pretty much give out liscences.

962 kid
02-19-2004, 02:20 PM
we were just rear ended by a parts guy and calgary honda yesterday, he put a dent the size of his thumb in a chrome bumper worth $1500. He wants to keep insurance out of it, get it all fixed for cheap at the calgary Honda dealership, but I wish I could see his face when he finds out how much it's going to cost him.

Maybe next time he'll

a) let people who have right of way go first

b) use his turn signals

c) not tailgate

szw
02-19-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Zero102
szw, that is what about half the people seem to think, but if you look as you come up, in the right lane, there is a right lane turns right sign. So, nobody should even be in that lane when they get to the intersection?
Plus, there are no dotted lines telling you where to go, and the lanes don't curve. That is what I based my opinion on. But I suppose I could be wrong.

Yeah I know the right lane that says "must exit" doesn't really have to exit...but I do'nt think that's reason enough to assume that far right lane isn't given the outermost lane to turn into. Its a fairly wide lane and its still there...shouldn't assume those people are just going to run into the wall. I think the "must exit" is maybe an old sign that never changed when they widened the off-ramp or maybe just bad placement or something. Or i might not even be remembering it correctly :nut:

Not sure who you'd talk to to get it changed though? Maybe write to the traffic guy in the herald haha.

Zero102
02-20-2004, 08:09 PM
I wrote to City of Calgary Roads Assesment division. Hopefully I will get a meanfingful response.
I believe the lane still exists for the sole purpose of city of calgary trucks, with their little yard on the right hand side between the 2 parts of 16th avenue.
Judging from where the lanes point, and the lack of dotted lines, I still believe that the left hand lane gets both turn lanes and 1 straight through lane. Let's see what the city replies with =)
I would really like to see the signs clarified. I can live with it either way, just so long as everybody can tell how to use that intersection.